Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
Hey asking for a friend, i just replaced my digital dashboard. How do I "configure" the odometer to display correctly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ripper Swarm
Sep 9, 2009

It's not that I hate it. It's that I loathe it.

Solus posted:

Hey asking for a friend, i just replaced my digital dashboard. How do I "configure" the odometer to display correctly.

Easy!

Tippex/Whiteout over the part of the dash with the incorrect mileage, let it dry (important!) and then write the correct number in pen

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Distorted Kiwi posted:

One month ago: "Freedoms NZ Party aiming to cause 'massive political earthquake' this election"

Result: 0.31% of the party vote.

Guess there wasn't enough gay people loving to cause the earthquake.

(They were 1,500 votes behind Aotearoa Legalise Cannabis Party)

It's incredible how there's someone I want in parliament even less than NZ loyal

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

It's incredible how there's someone I want in parliament even less than NZ loyal

is it bike tory?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Same initials

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010
Lol, one of my coworkers said he would have voted for Leighton Baker but he is "too full of pride naming the party after himself"

So my old boss is now likely to be the minister for education, that's going to be interesting

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Distorted Kiwi posted:

One month ago: "Freedoms NZ Party aiming to cause 'massive political earthquake' this election"

Result: 0.31% of the party vote.

Guess there wasn't enough gay people loving to cause the earthquake.

(They were 1,500 votes behind Aotearoa Legalise Cannabis Party)

they should work with nz loyal, since the voting machines stole votes from them:

https://twitter.com/sikotihamiltonr/status/1713502806001524784

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/MorganGodfery/status/1713724394420511098

Is there even anyone left following on NZ twitter other than Emmy Rākete?

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

lol

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
If that's true that is incredibly dumb

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

price just went up by 10 per cent

bssoil
Mar 21, 2004

:munch:

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.

bike tory posted:

Even she is on bluesky as well as Godfery

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

"C'mon! Let's tune our weapons!"

redleader posted:

they should work with nz loyal, since the voting machines stole votes from them:

https://twitter.com/sikotihamiltonr/status/1713502806001524784

That final sentence makes this my favourite tweet ever.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Distorted Kiwi posted:

That final sentence makes this my favourite tweet ever.

The electoral commission even outright went and said it to dispel misinformation weeks ago before the elections.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

bike tory posted:

You're still using twaxter?

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

ngl Winnie would be a content-rich speaker

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

exmachina posted:

ngl Winnie would be a content-rich speaker

Parliament would be a 5 drink minimum

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

He is a lot like Trevor Mallard in that he has been there for a long time. Knows all the rules etc because he broke most of them along the way. Certainly is good at weaponising them in the course of a debate. Imagine a government trying to function with a hostile Winston as speaker.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

honestly winnie has got nothing to lose, i wouldn't be in the least surprised if he tells luxon he wants prime minister or get hosed

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

The Prime Minister is the leader of the largest party that forms the Government, procedurally there's no way at all Winston can become PM. Anyone can be Deputy PM because there's not really any rules around that, but Winston cannot be PM and even he's not megalomaniacal enough to demand it.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

cptn_dr posted:

The Prime Minister is the leader of the largest party that forms the Government, procedurally there's no way at all Winston can become PM. Anyone can be Deputy PM because there's not really any rules around that, but Winston cannot be PM and even he's not megalomaniacal enough to demand it.

oh

but then i'm not sure i'd bet against winnie's ego either

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I voted greens and then labour for my snowflake electorate that didn’t have a green

it’s entirely possible national won’t make my life worse except for at work coz they putting the charge back on scripts

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'm going to buy a Ford Ranger before the government just makes it mandatory anyway

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
Running an inefficient vehicle means you get the best bang for your buck regarding road user charges. The more petrol per km you use, you SAVE money. It's only sensible.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Although looking it up a ford ranger (diesel) has the same fuel efficiency as my mazda 6. I'm not sure how to compare diesel to petrol though. The petrol V6 ford ranger 14/10 litres per 100km for rown/open road compared to my Mazda 6 which is 7.5litres / 100km

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The diesel's considerable advantage in economy and cost used to be offset by having to pay RUC, now the cost is similar but petrol will also have to pay RUC

Idk where I was going with that

Trompe le Monde
Nov 4, 2009

klen dool posted:

Although looking it up a ford ranger (diesel) has the same fuel efficiency as my mazda 6. I'm not sure how to compare diesel to petrol though. The petrol V6 ford ranger 14/10 litres per 100km for rown/open road compared to my Mazda 6 which is 7.5litres / 100km

Diesel is very efficient, the problem are the diesel engine particulate emissions which is where RUC comes in.

Trompe le Monde
Nov 4, 2009

Slavvy posted:

The diesel's considerable advantage in economy and cost used to be offset by having to pay RUC, now the cost is similar but petrol will also have to pay RUC

Idk where I was going with that

Does anyone have the policy in hand, I don't really understand. How will this not just incentivise people to buy diesel engine vehicles

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

cptn_dr posted:

i thought the prime minister is whoever the governer-general is told by the incoming government will have the support of the house, which is why it is traditionally - though not necessarily - the leader of the largest party elected.

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011

cptn_dr posted:

What gives you that idea? The cabinet manual recognises it's a political decision made by those forming government, the GG doesn't get a say so how would that rule be applied?

quote:

6.42 The process of forming a government is political, and the decision to form a government
must be arrived at by politicians. Government formation may involve one or more parties.

6.45 Accordingly, the Governor-General will, by convention, abide by the outcome of the
government formation process in appointing a government. The Governor-General will
also accept the political decision as to who will lead the government as Prime Minister.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Trompe le Monde posted:

Does anyone have the policy in hand, I don't really understand. How will this not just incentivise people to buy diesel engine vehicles
You've already read the entirety of the policy as it exists. "Everyone will pay RUC instead of petrol tax"

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

At least as I understand it, RUC was to deal with diesel vehicles traditionally being larger and heavier than petrols, to help fund road repairs and such. While it's not ridiculous to expect electric vehicles to contribute, National have pretty much said that this is a punitive measure.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Trompe le Monde posted:

Diesel is very efficient, the problem are the diesel engine particulate emissions which is where RUC comes in.

Oooh so that's why the same amount of diesel (and presumably a similar number of carbon emissions) can move a vehicle twice the size of my petrol car

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I knew I should have checked the Cabinet Manual, PPNZ has let me down for the last time!

I guess it's not, strictly speaking, impossible. But it's so far out of the realm of likelihood that it's functionally impossible — the Prime Minister has a bunch of specific powers, including being able to instruct the GG to dismiss Ministers, that there is absolutely no way that a minor coalition partner could ever be given the role.

It'd be like Luxon saying to him "You can fire me and then name every member of NZ First as a Minister and there's nothing we could do to stop you short of pulling down the Government." Which is obviously what would happen immediately, but nobody is dumb enough to let that happen. I think if Winston demanded it, then NACT would take the risk of having their very slight majority rather than risk Winston turning the country into his own personal Winston Realm.

Edit: I am not a lawyer, just a nerd, so it's very possible I'm wrong again.

cptn_dr fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Oct 16, 2023

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

klen dool posted:

Oooh so that's why the same amount of diesel (and presumably a similar number of carbon emissions) can move a vehicle twice the size of my petrol car

In terms of thermal efficiency, diesel is about half again as efficient as petrol - 50ish% vs 30ish%

Owing to different properties of the engines diesels generate much more pulling force but less high end power basically

Petrols are excellent for lightweight applications - cars, power tools, etc - where diesels excel at heavy work - trucks, machinery, cranes etc

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

At least as I understand it, RUC was to deal with diesel vehicles traditionally being larger and heavier than petrols, to help fund road repairs and such. While it's not ridiculous to expect electric vehicles to contribute, National have pretty much said that this is a punitive measure.

Nah RUC-in-petrol is just a really efficient way to do it; heavy vehicles use more gas and it incentives fuel economy. The problem is vehicles that use fuel but not the roads, like farm equipment. These vehicles mostly use diesel so adding the tax to the fuel won't work: hence RUC.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
I'm looking forward to the speed limits all going up again around here, costing more money to redo the signs and traffic management. It's great that we're gonna have a poo poo government because people love driving fast and killing each other to get to kfc or whatever.
Also it's weird that people who love cars and utes and make it their whole personality are compaining about having to spend a few minutes longer driving them. Wouldn't spending more time in their reason for existence make them happier?

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Project M.A.M.I.L. posted:

I'm looking forward to the speed limits all going up again around here, costing more money to redo the signs and traffic management. It's great that we're gonna have a poo poo government because people love driving fast and killing each other to get to kfc or whatever.
Also it's weird that people who love cars and utes and make it their whole personality are compaining about having to spend a few minutes longer driving them. Wouldn't spending more time in their reason for existence make them happier?

I think the reality is that speed limits will probably mainly only go up again on some major roads and state highways, and mainly on Waka Kotahi roads (as that's where the minister has in theory the most direct influence). Speed limits on local roads still a local decision, and largely irrelevant to "economic benefits".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

Lobsterpillar posted:

I think the reality is that speed limits will probably mainly only go up again on some major roads and state highways, and mainly on Waka Kotahi roads (as that's where the minister has in theory the most direct influence). Speed limits on local roads still a local decision, and largely irrelevant to "economic benefits".

Hopefully. They also said where it's safe to do so which can let them weasel out of it if it's harder than they think it will be to change back