Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

greetings sweeties, let me give you a back massage. for i am a whiz!

Spark Joshi was really fun

I played janken with Emi and won

New Miu art

I spent waaayyyy too much money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

^ hi5

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
Crazy star v prominence was excellent

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
America is turning 'em insane.
https://twitter.com/uug_p_miu/status/1713211319992635432

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

https://twitter.com/we_are_stardom/status/1713521452945912059?t=kYjJNvYshIHMWxW6xC2z-A&s=19

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Burn Down Canberra posted:

Crazy star v prominence was excellent

Mainevent was great too

Bit of a two match card but we'll worth watching when it goes up on stardom world for subscribers.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
Mai Sakurai is now Sakisama?
https://twitter.com/Hassy0924/status/1713481303369363551

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom
She's been doing the rich girl gimmick for months now.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Tag League opener was really good. I marked out hard for all the matching outfits and hair extensions and stuff during the intros

All the matches were great and it's going to be really cool to hear FWC's music for the next couple months

I hope all the injured people recover quickly and I hope nobody else gets hurt

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Elephant Ambush posted:

Tag League opener was really good. I marked out hard for all the matching outfits and hair extensions and stuff during the intros

All the matches were great and it's going to be really cool to hear FWC's music for the next couple months

I made a note in the ME which was "Hanan and Koguma go beast mode" and God bless those two during an injury crises deciding the appropriate response was to murder each other with suplexes.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?

Just the absolute coolest :allears:

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
https://twitter.com/tjpw2013/status/1713466196505575802

toga! toga! toga!

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

WAKANA!

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
So in news that seems to be flying under the radar, Act Yasukawa resigned from ActZ, and apparently signed with a western promotion. She said more details will be revealed in November.

DarkstarIV fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Oct 16, 2023

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Act Yasukawa was such an inspiration for me before the horrible incident. I mean she still is but y'know, that was such a terrible thing to happen. I hope she only gets good things in her life, whatever the next stage of it is.

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom

DarkstarIV posted:

So in news that seems to be flying under the radar, Act Yazukawa resigned from ActZ, and apparently signed with a western promotion. She said more details will be revealed in November.

I imagine this is because Actwres won't let her work in pro wrestling events as they don't consider themselves pro wrestling anymore. She was booked on an indie show earlier this year but was pulled at the last minute. I imagine she'll do an excursion of the US indies for a few months before returning to Actwres.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Stall_19 posted:

I imagine this is because Actwres won't let her work in pro wrestling events as they don't consider themselves pro wrestling anymore. She was booked on an indie show earlier this year but was pulled at the last minute. I imagine she'll do an excursion of the US indies for a few months before returning to Actwres.

Pretty much this, but to add onto it, Act mentioned she got an offer from a major overseas promotion to work with them. So that basically whittles it down to three companies, imo. From most likely to least likely (imo): Impact > AEW > WWE. The only reason I have WWE lower than the other two is because I doubt they would medically clear her to wrestle for them since she has Graves Disease.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Elephant Ambush posted:

Yeah, the two matches mentioned previously were the best but it was solid overall and I didn't feel like anything was skippable.

So is Club Venus just Mina and Waka now? That's kind of sad. :smith:

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Yeah but Mina has already said she's getting a new person (japanese)

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Honestly, Actwres Girlz insistence they aren't wrestling and don't want their "actors" appearing on any outside shows just seems dumb. Not like it stops Stardom signing people from there, and it meant losing the COLOR'S girls

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
How the hell is AWG not pro wrestling when that's 98% of all their shows?

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

It's "not pro wrestling" *exaggerated wink to the camera*

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Elephant Ambush posted:

They're actors who are pro wrestling, not pro wrestlers who are actors!

I think.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
The blog post says nothing about a 'major American company'; it says that she's leaving AWG now and will work in America from April. That could mean taking indies; that could mean she has signed somewhere (but that doesn't make sense because why would someone sign her six months in advance?); or it could just be that she's wanting to do something else and working the next Wrestlemania weekend is a good excuse to use publicly. There's been plenty of wrestlers who've left places talking about new challenges and showcasing themselves internationally who almost immediately show up in New Japan: while I don't think that's the case here she does have links to Stardom and I don't think you can rule out her doing things part time there (although Nanae is there regularly which might be an issue I don't know where they would stand now).

Elephant Ambush posted:

Its all very dumb but seems to rankle with people. Basically it sounds like they were struggling in 2021 like a lot of companies were and decided to go isolationist and offered people the chance to leave: as they have (had?) a lot of people basically on verbal deals which is why people would leave so often and quickly; you had Mai Sakurai immediately leave in June, Waka a month later; the rest hung around to the end in December and only a few people stayed in the new AWG. They debuted about a billion new wrestlers since so they actually have their largest roster size ever even with people leaving/retiring (Maya Fukuda to GLEAT to do UWF and MMA only; HIMAWARI to TJPW, Koara Fujimoto to retirement).

During that time they also debuted the ARG stuff that I think was initially meant to be a lot more of what they do but they've dialed back (I assume because it takes longer to put shows together and therefore costs more and makes less) with the wrestling stuff taking more of a say. The main reason they don't say they are wrestling is because they openly admit that pro wrestling is not a shoot and have the Point Matches where the winner is explicitly predetermined (based on ticket reservations and merch sales, popularity and LUCK) which is something that while everyone knows this none of the promotions ever explicitly say. It genuinely seems to have been a factor in why a chunk of the Ice Ribbon roster rebelled over the proposed Ice Ribbon-AWG exclusive alliance (combination of that and the people that weren't the AWG-style of wrestler who didn't want to work there). I think its partially a kayfabe-protecting things for other promotions and it probably doesn't matter.

Whatever they are doing seems to be working; the Joshi indies are all collectively not doing well but they might be Number 3 in Japan behind Stardom and TJPW (OZ Academy might be up there as well). They've used ACT (and Natsumi Sumikawa who is the other old Stardom head they signed) as undercard vets more than anything else: focused on the remaining old AWG people; the top stars of the next generation and Asahi (who jumped from Ice Ribbon post-alliance failing as she was the person that was asked to push for it in Ice Ribbon by the management

Emsee
Jun 17, 2005
Hmm...

IceAgeComing posted:

There's been plenty of wrestlers who've left places talking about new challenges and showcasing themselves internationally who almost immediately show up in New Japan...

I've noticed that happens often. What's the reason for it? Is it to save face for the smaller company? Maybe to give the larger promotion a way to avoid accusations of poaching talent or contract tampering?

quote:

Whatever they are doing seems to be working; the Joshi indies are all collectively not doing well but they might be Number 3 in Japan behind Stardom and TJPW (OZ Academy might be up there as well).

I've not been keeping up with the whole Joshi Indy scene for a little while. What's the rough ranking of them now? Last time I really thought about it I would have said Ice ribbon were 3 or 4. Though I had heard they'd hit a tough patch.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Emsee posted:

I've not been keeping up with the whole Joshi Indy scene for a little while. What's the rough ranking of them now? Last time I really thought about it I would have said Ice ribbon were 3 or 4. Though I had heard they'd hit a tough patch.

Ice Ribbon is definitely smaller than they were pre-pandemic. They lost Giulia at the end of 2019, the Prominence crew obviously went depriving them of both Risa Sera & Suzu Suzuki, as well as some steady midcard faces, & at the same time Maya Yukihi also went freelance. She worked there in 2022 a fair amount, about 20 times, but this year she's been on one show for them. And then in May 2022 they lost both of Dropkickers, Tsukushi Haruka & Tsukasa Fujimoto; Haruka retired as IceX Infinity champ, Fujimoto has gone on hiatus to become a mother & we've only seen her once since May 2022. And as others said, Asahi has also gone after the AWG relationship collapsed & she was probably the big standout prospect post-Suzu, & Nao Ishikawa left at the same time to go freelance.

I just look at the show that was what turned me onto Ice Ribbon in a big way, the August 2020 Final Yokohama Bunka Gym show. Your opener of Banny Oikawa, Totoro Satsuki, Yappy & Yuuki Mashiro vs Ibuki Hoshi, Maika Ozaki, Riko Kaiju & Thekla: Banny is freelance, Yuuki retired, Ozaki hasn't worked Ice Ribbon since December last year, ditto Kaiju, Thekla is in Stardom. So that's 3 of the 8 still in IR.
Akane Fujita & Asahi vs Miku Aono & Mio Shirai, Fujita is Prominence, Asahi & Aono are AWG, & Shirai remains mainly a referee & I think she's still involved in the IR dojo?.
Cherry vs Matsuya Uno, Cherry hasn't been in IR since November, Uno has retired
Chon Shiryu vs Ram Kaicho vs Tae Honma, Shiryu is still a freelance who rarely pops up in IR, Ram hasn't been there since December 31st as Rebel X Enemy started showing up in Stardom & Honma is another one whose last show was 31/12/22
Hamuko Hoshi vs Makoto, Hoshi is still there, & Makoto still works there a few times a year, she's probably picked up more IR bookings in the last 2 years than in the past 7 years combined. Not near a regular though.
Rina Yamashita vs Risa Sera, obviously with IR moving away from deathmatches these 2 aren't used anymore, with Sera leading Prominence & Rina wrestling all over the world for GCW (Alabama, LA, Germany, England, as well as continuing to be a proper sicko in Japan) as their Ultraviolent Champ.
Dropkickers vs Frank Sisters, already mentioned Tsukushi & Fujimoto, plus the Frank Sisters are both Prominence
Maya Yukihi vs Suzu Suzuki, Yukihi seems mostly out, she's been on more All Japan shows than IR shows this year, while Suzu is over in Stardom proving what we already knew, she's the best.

They honestly don't have much of a roster left at this point, what separated IR from the rest of the scene is most of their cards were their people, plus a handful of freelancers & others. Of what they've got, Ibuki Hoshi & Kaho Matsushita seem good, Saran & Arisa Shinose are still teenagers, Hamuko Hoshi & Totoro Satsuki are solid veteran hands, Yappy seems like a nice person treated poorly by the company that doesn't appreciate the English outreach she does for them & it's good to see her actually getting more chances but a role player really. As always they have a lot of younger wrestlers & they sure know how to train them, so I'm sure Ice Ribbon will recover, but right now I can only say they've run Korakuen twice this year & drawn 409 & 504, which isn't great. That's down from 8 times in 2022, though honestly the attendance numbers aren't down massively outside the outlier of RibbonMania which did over 850. It's criminal that only 472 so the loving great Fujimoto vs Nakajima match from Spring Is Short, Fight Girl 2022.

I don't think I've actually seen any Ice Ribbon since Fujimoto's hiatus started. It's not an easy company to follow, if you want to watch this year's August Korakuen? 4,400 Yen, plus whatever insane fee to import the DVD from Japan. They still stream stuff on Nico Nico I think, but I can't work out if that's 550 Yen a month or per show, & you only have access for 7 days?

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
:cool:
https://twitter.com/giulia0221g/status/1714257147469635667

They should have somebody to dress up and act as Lady C's stand.
https://twitter.com/LadyC_stardom/status/1714259749938856133

Emsee
Jun 17, 2005
Hmm...
Thanks for the update. It seems rougher than I thought. Hopefully they'll hit on some good youngsters and steady the ship.

forkboy84 posted:

I don't think I've actually seen any Ice Ribbon since Fujimoto's hiatus started. It's not an easy company to follow, if you want to watch this year's August Korakuen? 4,400 Yen, plus whatever insane fee to import the DVD from Japan. They still stream stuff on Nico Nico I think, but I can't work out if that's 550 Yen a month or per show, & you only have access for 7 days?

That's definitely true. A combination of the pandemic and having less free time meant I stopped following as much Joshi as I used to. I pretty much stick with TJPW and Gatoh Move now. They make things so much more accessible.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/UpcomingWrestl1/status/1714562679463944419?t=mUqZSkT5Qmg7XukeZAqHrg&s=19

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
SMH another promotion arbitraging Tony Khan's lack of interest in Joshi wrestling
https://twitter.com/DramaticDDT/status/1714519122275455116

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022
Wonder how many people know that the person sitting next to Miyu is the founder/booker of Spark Joshi

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

HamburgerTownUSA posted:

Wonder how many people know that the person sitting next to Miyu is the founder/booker of Spark Joshi

oh poo poo you're right

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/tjpw2013/status/1715125672329531594

Yuka is cleared and returning to TJPW for the October 27th show.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
[AYAYAYAYAYAYA intensifies]

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
An interview with Miyacoco.
https://twitter.com/MonthlyPuroresu/status/1715432637211214318

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

thinking about going to the prestige x tjpw show in december, havent been by globe theater in a while, is parking still impossible in the area?

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

Emsee posted:

I don't know how much it's changed since then, but I researched attendance numbers for a video project like 6 months ago. IIRC, at the time it was Stardom at the top by far but with TJPW firmly 2nd, then Ice Ribbon a distant 3rd. After that it's a bit muddy because a lot of smaller venues don't have consistent records available, but AWG, Sendai Girls, and Seadlinnng were around the middle; WAVE, Marvelous, and OZ Academy were further down; and I think Pure-J rounded out the top 10? Then you get a ton of micro-indies like JTO Girls and smaller that all get about 30-50 per show and run tiny venues like Basement Monstar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Watching the Sumire Natsu Anniversary show it's interesting to see Sakura Hirota wrestling as herself, usually when I see her it's for DDT doing comedy masks. Also looking at the card it looks like there was a battle royale that was only for the live audience, guess it was too horny for the VOD.

VENY vs Tora was good even if the result wasn't the most satisfying and the main event was great. Also the promos are subtitled which is pretty cool