Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Time_pants posted:

That's why you're encouraged to toss a coin to your Witcher. They're not ad supported.

That song is a sponsored ad for witchers tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Squiggle posted:

Same. These are our eugenicists?

Always has been

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Magissima posted:

Without question. FTX had a psychiatrist on staff prescribing Adderall and who knows what else

https://twitter.com/SBF_FTX/status/1173351344159117312
https://twitter.com/carolinecapital/status/1379036346300305408

Jesus... I can't believe they haven't deleted those tweets.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Why do you think they would? It's not an addiction when a doctor says it's okay.

Iron Chef Ramen
Sep 15, 2007

HA HA! YOU HAVE CHOSEN POORLY!
They didn't do anything wrong besides get caught.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

cruft posted:

Hot take: don't.

It's enough that she's a eugenicist. That point is abhorrent and stands on its own, it's not necessary to then roll around in the same pit of mud.

Youre right. I'll edit my comment.

Thorgot
Apr 4, 2010
Adderall and many other ADD medications are amphetamines. Not all amphetamines are methamphetamines.

Sam's tweet I have no excuse for.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

And it may or may not have come up way back itt that amphetamines and tranquillisers may be the least of the ridiculous poo poo SBF has been on a constant regimen of.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Boxturret posted:

I take the wake up drugs to wake up, and the sleepy drugs to go to sleep, I am the ultimate in human efficiency.

Worked out well for Marilyn Monroe and Michael Jackson.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Viscous Soda posted:

Jesus... I can't believe they haven't deleted those tweets.

Its what poo poo tech bros think what tech bros do.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Iron Chef Ramen posted:

They didn't do anything wrong besides get caught.

Spoilers for Michael Lewis's book!

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
There was a brief mention in the Conover interview about Chinese gangs in Cambodia basically forcing trafficked guest workers to work in their international catfishing facilities. I remember reading an interview with the chief of police in an article about it, and he mentioned that he will not give any leniency to escapees, because they were breaking the law.

Yeah that head cop was absolutely in with the gangs, the Cambodian police are basically being used as muscle to help trap the trafficking victims in that facility.

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

red19fire posted:

Worked out well for Marilyn Monroe and Michael Jackson.
And Elvis

The more I hear about this guy the more I think it was just naive and stupid. His parents may have had a nefarious plan; I just don’t see it with him.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

I mean that was also Madoff, he had a bad year, and instead of owning up to it he fudged the documents and then he couldn't stop because the nature of fraud of this type is that it's like a jackhammer that can't be turned off, it keeps digging itself into a deeper and deeper pit. SBF besides being on a cocktail of drugs was also on a cocktail of his own toxic personality traits, including apparently a compulsive gambling addiction, and he made one good bet that proved for all time he was an infallible genius. Then he made a bad bet, as was necessarily the case, so he doubled down until everything evaporated.

There's no Ernst Stavro Blofield villain meticulously planning to steal the British Crown Jewels or whatever, it's an idiot who huffed his farts for too long and did stupid, reckless things with other peoples' money. Which is still a crime and hopefully the prosecution is being extremely careful to go from element to element without trying to write some larger than life story about SBF other than he's a complete fuckup and when he hosed up he did many illegal things to undo his fuckups.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Elden Lord Godfrey posted:

There was a brief mention in the Conover interview about Chinese gangs in Cambodia basically forcing trafficked guest workers to work in their international catfishing facilities. I remember reading an interview with the chief of police in an article about it, and he mentioned that he will not give any leniency to escapees, because they were breaking the law.

Yeah that head cop was absolutely in with the gangs, the Cambodian police are basically being used as muscle to help trap the trafficking victims in that facility.

Spoilers for Zeke Faux's book!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
You know the absoutly best way to get a jury on your side? Being a smug jackass obviously. Juries universally love smug, unrepentant, jackasses.

Sam Bankman-Fried accused of scoffing and laughing as ex-girlfriend testified posted:

“Your honor, given where I’m standing, I’ve noticed several times since the lunch break that in response to things the witness has said, the defendant has laughed, visibly shaken his head, and scoffed,” said prosecutor Danielle Sassoon, who had been conducting direct examination of Ellison...

Bankman-Fried’s lawyers pushed back on Sassoon’s allegations of performative sighing.

“Your honor, this is ridiculous,” the defense lawyer Mark Cohen replied. “The defendant is attending this trial. If he’s having any reaction at all, that’s for your honor and the jury to decide.”
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/oct/12/sam-bankman-fried-laughed-intimidated-caroline-ellison-trial-testimony

Also probably not a good idea by the defense reminding the jury they get to judge him. Bet quite a few of them are quite looking forward to being able to do that.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

You won't be laughing at hin when he finally opens the debug menu, noclips out of court, and crimes so hard that an overflow bug makes him the most innocent man on the planet

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022

cruft posted:

Spoilers for Zeke Faux's book!

This is a bit of a derail but I'm going to link a few articles I found. It seems that the countries of origin for the trafficking victims are quite upset, but the Cambodian police are basically in on it:

https://www.latimes.com/world-nation/story/2022-11-01/i-was-a-slave-up-to-100-000-held-captive-by-chinese-cyber-criminals-in-cambodia

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-12-29/inside-call-centre-scams-in-cambodia-torture-fear-and-survival/101770352

quote:

Police see some scam victims as 'part of the gang'
Mr Jaruwat's organisation has rescued 374 Thai victims of human trafficking in South-East Asia this year, and continues to help those caught up in labour scams to defend themselves in court.

"We worked with police, we told them they were victims, we showed them evidence, but police did not listen. They charged them," he said.

"The police have their targets … they set the goal as getting rid of the call centres, but they have not tried to understand the victims' situations."

General Tamasak said Thai authorities must conduct a thorough investigation including a comprehensive victim screening process.

"Many [people] are innocent, having been trafficked [while] seeking economic opportunities such as working in an entertainment complex, but some turn out to be part of the gang," he said.

SEAsia seems to be a hotbed of these kinds of schemes, both scams with old fashioned money, as well as newer ones featuring cryptocurrency tech to fuel the scams (see Axie Infinity)

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Tunicate posted:

You won't be laughing at hin when he finally opens the debug menu, noclips out of court, and crimes so hard that an overflow bug makes him the most innocent man on the planet

The one secrete legal loophole lawyers don't want you to know!!!

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Elden Lord Godfrey posted:

This is a bit of a derail but I'm going to link a few articles I found. It seems that the countries of origin for the trafficking victims are quite upset, but the Cambodian police are basically in on it:

https://www.latimes.com/world-nation/story/2022-11-01/i-was-a-slave-up-to-100-000-held-captive-by-chinese-cyber-criminals-in-cambodia

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-12-29/inside-call-centre-scams-in-cambodia-torture-fear-and-survival/101770352

SEAsia seems to be a hotbed of these kinds of schemes, both scams with old fashioned money, as well as newer ones featuring cryptocurrency tech to fuel the scams (see Axie Infinity)
The movie I watched that was made in China was based off this entire premise including the collusion by local police. There is a scene where a woman escapes and goes to the Police and they lock her up until the bad guys show.

Strong Sauce posted:

I caught another movie last week. The movie was from China and had been doing well there. The movie was called No More Bets. (Spoilers and Content Warnings...)

I guess I should have taken the title at face value because while the movie technically was about human trafficking, where mostly Chinese citizens were being kidnapped and forced to work in the scam industry.. it was also a huge Chinese propaganda piece about how Gambling is morally wrong.

----------

So yes seems like the Chinese government is really cracking down on cryptocurrency due to their current stance on gambling... but this is actually good for bitcoin!

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

dr_rat posted:

You know the absoutly best way to get a jury on your side? Being a smug jackass obviously. Juries universally love smug, unrepentant, jackasses.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/oct/12/sam-bankman-fried-laughed-intimidated-caroline-ellison-trial-testimony

Also probably not a good idea by the defense reminding the jury they get to judge him. Bet quite a few of them are quite looking forward to being able to do that.

First paragraph of the article says that the exchange wasn’t heard by jurors. Most legal arguments during a trial aren’t actually in front of the jury, because they’re about what the jury can or can’t hear or see.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Rad-daddio posted:

why did they need a tungsten cube?

quote:

All the people here who bought this wireless tungsten cube to admire its surreal heft have precisely the wrong mindset. I, in my exalted wisdom and unbridled ambition, bought this cube to become fully accustomed to the intensity of its density, to make its weight bearable and in fact normal to me, so that all the world around me may fade into a fluffy arena of gravitational inconsequence. And it has worked, to profound success. I have carried the tungsten with me, have grown attached to the downward pull of its small form, its desire to be one with the floor. This force has become so normal to me that lifting any other object now feels like lifting cotton candy, or a fluffy pillow. Big burly manly men who pump iron now seem to me as little children who raise mere aluminum.

I can hardly remember the days before I became a man of tungsten. How distant those days seem now, how burdened by the apparent heaviness of everyday objects. I laugh at the philistines who still operate in a world devoid of tungsten, their shoulders thin and unempowered by the experience of bearing tungsten. Ha, what fools, blissful in their ignorance, anesthetized by their lack of meaningful struggle, devoid of passion.

Nietzsche once said that a man who has a why can bear almost any how. But a man who has a tungsten cube can bear any object less dense, and all this talk of why and how becomes unnecessary.

Schopenhauer once said that every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world. Tungsten expands the limits of a man’s field of vision by showing him an example of increased density, in comparison to which the everyday objects to which he was formerly accustomed gain a light and airy quality. Who can lament the tragedy of life, when surrounded by such lightweight objects? Who can cry in a world of styrofoam and cushions?

Have you yet understood? This is no ordinary metal. In this metal is the alchemical potential to transform your world, by transforming your expectations. Those who have not yet held the cube in their hands and mouths will not understand, for they still live in a world of normal density, like Plato’s cave dwellers. Those who have opened their mind to the density of tungsten will shift their expectations of weight and density accordingly.

To give this cube a rating of anything less than five stars would be to condemn life itself. Who am I, as a mere mortal, to judge the most compact of all affordable materials? No. I say gratefully to whichever grand being may have created this universe: good job on the tungsten. It sure is dense.

I sit here with my tungsten cube, transcendent above death itself. For insofar as this tungsten cube will last forever, I am in the presence of immortality.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

JammyB
May 23, 2001

I slept with Mary and Joseph never found out
I don't know how so-called justice is meant to work in the US but how the hell can they justify charging a minor in an adult court?

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

That's quite a load you got in them diapers

goku just turned up the gravity in his space pod to achieve the same transcendence

tungsten is for babies

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Amazing Zimmo posted:

goku just turned up the gravity in his space pod to achieve the same transcendence

tungsten is for babies

He also forsook beer (ew) for a refreshing sports drink (aw yeah!).

*minds thread title* And Freiza, I guess, wants to end the Fed.

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

That's quite a load you got in them diapers

Space Fish posted:

He also forsook beer (ew) for a refreshing sports drink (aw yeah!).

*minds thread title* And Freiza, I guess, wants to end the Fed.

Freiza is the evil SEC, always trying to impose regulations on crypto and make it hard for people to enjoy going bankrupt from scams

Goku is hero crypto bro, risking his life battling regulations and doing the occasional rug pull

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

Big rear end On Fire posted:

And Elvis

The more I hear about this guy the more I think it was just naive and stupid. His parents may have had a nefarious plan; I just don’t see it with him.

I would guess his parents were more after the status upgrade in the circles they already ran in. Moving up to shot-callers from being consultants or advisors.

kw0134 posted:

apparently a compulsive gambling addiction, and he made one good bet that proved for all time he was an infallible genius. Then he made a bad bet, as was necessarily the case, so he doubled down until everything evaporated.

I seem to remember somebody last year putting some effort into debunking the Japan Bitcoin arbitrage trade or whatever it was that made FTX's rep. That probably means I've spent too much time reading into this crypto crap.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
arent all solid chunks of metal wireless? what would a wired cube even be?

also havnt experts in sports , athletic, medical-adjacent,etc mentioned that anime weight training would actually be potentially damaging?

also the cube isnt even geometrically perfect and its cubeness isnt cube enough.

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

istewart posted:

I seem to remember somebody last year putting some effort into debunking the Japan Bitcoin arbitrage trade or whatever it was that made FTX's rep. That probably means I've spent too much time reading into this crypto crap.

Curious to see this if it resurfaces

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

JammyB posted:

I don't know how so-called justice is meant to work in the US but how the hell can they justify charging a minor in an adult court?

What do you mean "justify" they do it and it's done.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah charging a minor as an adult in specific cases is pretty old and pretty uncontroversial

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

PhazonLink posted:

exciting!

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

PhazonLink posted:

also havnt experts in sports , athletic, medical-adjacent,etc mentioned that anime weight training would actually be potentially damaging?

also the cube isnt even geometrically perfect and its cubeness isnt cube enough.

I liked you more when you were just the guy who mispronounced "chowder."

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
A solid chunk of metal is just a very short, very thick wire. *taps forehead*

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Amazing Zimmo posted:

Freiza is the evil SEC, always trying to impose regulations on crypto and make it hard for people to enjoy going bankrupt from scams

Goku is hero crypto bro, risking his life battling regulations and doing the occasional rug pull

And just like Master Roshi, we have some sort of evolution.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/hackers-use-binance-smart-chain-contracts-to-store-malicious-scripts/

article posted:

Cybercriminals are employing a novel code distribution technique dubbed 'EtherHiding,' which abuses Binance's Smart Chain (BSC) contracts to hide malicious scripts in the blockchain.

The threat actors responsible for this campaign previously used compromised WordPress sites that redirected to Cloudflare Worker hosts for injecting malicious JavaScript into hacked websites, but later pivoted to abusing blockchain systems that provide a far more resilient and evasive distribution channel.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Finally, a use for bitcoin.

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer
great video showing how releasing a nft/ blockchain game is absolute death

Notably 2 epic store exclusives that don't look half bad (compared to most of the other lazy cash grabs at least.)

Blankos Block Party

Looks like a Fall Guys clone, released a year ago. No players, no interest. Devs have gone silent.

My Pet Hooligan

Third person shooter, released into early access less than a month ago. 4 players online at a peak time.

Unfortunately spending more time to develop the game and less time on the macrotransaction nft characters just isn't an option for these grifter devs.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Koburn posted:

My Pet Hooligan

Third person shooter, released into early access less than a month ago. 4 players online at a peak time.

Unfortunately spending more time to develop the game and less time on the macrotransaction nft characters just isn't an option for these grifter devs.

quote:

Rebel against the evil overlord Metazuckbot by wreaking havoc on Hooliland City.

lol

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

Deutsche Welle: How cryptocurrency fueled Hamas' terror attack on Israel.