Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

szary
Mar 12, 2014
Sadly I don't think the opposition have enough seats to override Duda's veto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bemused Observer
Sep 21, 2019

At least the Left has more votes than Konfederacja, which I find encouraging, although that's one of these things that might very well shift from exit polls to the actual vote counts

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I'm currently visiting Poland and it seems like you guys have something going on?

:v:

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
Left is pretty much dead, KO doesn't even need them in coalition anymore seeing how Trzecia Droga has over 2x votes. At least Konfederacja lost too.

Jazzy Jones
May 25, 2008

Residency Evil posted:

I'm currently visiting Poland and it seems like you guys have something going on?

Not much, just general elections :D.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Residency Evil posted:

Apparently a fire sale on pistachios.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Congratulations. It appears that PiS has lost their majority.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
Rest in PiS

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

Bemused Observer posted:

Edit: also, I struggle to imagine what kind of economic policy a KO/TD/Lewica government could possibly agree on.

They are probably going to ditch Lewica, KO and TD alone have majority

Jazzy Jones
May 25, 2008

Szarrukin posted:

They are probably going to ditch Lewica, KO and TD alone have majority

Not quite. You need 231 mandates. They will lack like 10 of them so and actually they should work together.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES
Yep, according to the exit polls the only possible configuration that gets a majority is KO+TD+Left. Though obviously this could shift in the actual results given different districts and so on

Edit: actually Left is likely to get hosed in the count because their support is concentrated in the most populous districts where voting power is low.

Bemused Observer
Sep 21, 2019

Yeah, if KO+TD get the 230+ on their own, then on the one hand it sucks for the Left, but on the other these two parties probably *could* sustain a government (not that they'd be able to push trough much legislation, considering who controls the presidential veto and the constitutional tribunal).

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES
In the long run it'd probably be healthier for the Left to spend a couple years in opposition to a center-right governmenr rather than forever chained to the libs out of sheer enforced anti-PiS unity... but in more practical terms I'd greatly prefer it if a hypothetical Tusk government has some kind of checks keeping it from going full bore neoliberal.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
All I want is for Czarnek to get banned from setting foot within 1000m of a school or school administration institutions and to never see Błaszczak's ugly mug again

szary
Mar 12, 2014
I want to see Ziobro in prison, probably just a dream though

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
TVP is on severe copium right now, they just mentioned the idea of PiS and Lewica coalition. xD

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
TVP right now.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
^- lol.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

72.9% voting population is impressive by any standard. Also, the referendum is dead at 40% opting to even participate.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Paladinus posted:

TVP right now.

Lol "šukám"

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

It’s cool seeing all the Canadians/Americans of Polish decent on my social media feeds talking about how “Poland has fallen”. Meanwhile it’s been 100+ years since their ancestors arrived here and no one in their family has been back to Poland since before WW2.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
plywood poles are loving worst.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Tentative goongrats, Poligoons? :toot:

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Rest in PiS

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Time to take the PiS out of the government :toot:

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
Turns out PiS is not stored in the ballots

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Tentative congrats to all Poland goons, it's nice to have some good news for a change :toot: It'll be interesting to see if the opposition will be able to make a meaningful start at getting rid of all the PiS stored in the judiciary and the police.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
I wonder what’s gonna happen to TVP. Like surely it’s beyond salvaging now??

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I don’t think PiS will concede that easy. They already grumbled in interviews they technically won and the president is obligated to give the task of forming the government to the party with the most votes. For PiS every day in power longer, even with a minority government unable to dk anything, is much better than being in opposition.

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts

goblin week posted:

I wonder what’s gonna happen to TVP. Like surely it’s beyond salvaging now??

TVP and Polska Press both. That’s going to be interesting to see

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

There will be no minority government as it requires actually being voted in by sejm. Also I hope very much that TVP CAN be salvaged because i dread to think about the media landscape without the public option. We used to have a passably bipartisan tv station and we can have it once again.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Wouldn't the new government just turn it into a propaganda organ for their side?

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

anilEhilated posted:

Wouldn't the new government just turn it into a propaganda organ for their side?

That would still be an improvement. State TV was never 100% unaligned, but there was always some degree of dignity to it, somewhat biased towards the owners but not outright inventing an alternate reality. PiS went full Orban/Putin with how shameless they subjugated the state media.

But at the very least, if we assumed the new government will go "gently caress it, war has changed" and chose to be just as shameless with it (which they won't, it would be a massive, fundamental compromise of their "gently caress PiS" platform, both in substance and optics), it would still be better because it's a coalition of several parties, several of whom can and will be bratty about some issues. You either give some leeway for them to peddle their differing viewpoints, making it inherently more open and honest, or go full Subjugation Under God-Emperor Donald Tusk, which would very quickly antagonize coalition partners, who are all able to paralyze the government.

Bemused Observer
Sep 21, 2019

Not that the government will need much paralysing, considering the presidential veto and the constitutional tribunal.

Speaking of which, I wonder what the hell they are going to do about the tribunal, because with the presidency you just wait two years (and can blame any lack of progress on the president), but the tribunal is probably compromised beyond repair now.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Mr. Apollo posted:

It’s cool seeing all the Canadians/Americans of Polish decent on my social media feeds talking about how “Poland has fallen”. Meanwhile it’s been 100+ years since their ancestors arrived here and no one in their family has been back to Poland since before WW2.

This flavor of chud is personally embarrassing to me, and I take so much pleasure in their unhappiness.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Bemused Observer posted:

Not that the government will need much paralysing, considering the presidential veto and the constitutional tribunal.

Speaking of which, I wonder what the hell they are going to do about the tribunal, because with the presidency you just wait two years (and can blame any lack of progress on the president), but the tribunal is probably compromised beyond repair now.

If they have any balls, they could brute force changes by claiming/reminding everyone that the nominations were illegal. Like PiS, just... do it, call them null and void and have security pack their things into a box. What helps is that they would generally have the backing of EU and the judiciary community (and, tbh, their own supporters at the peak of PiS-purging sentiment). Just get those lawyer friends to cook up some nice legal excuse so everyone can pretend this nullification is more rooted in rule of law. Just gotta strike iron while it's hot, keep the new nominations clean.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
It's not that easy. Remember that the double seating crisis only actually affected three of fifteen judges, and the remaining twelve have been introduced by PiS without controversy. Even if you force through the three legal judges (whom the president is refusing to swear in, which may or may not be a real issue), PiS nominees are still likely to decide nearly all cases. After that, the next seats open up in December of next year (two), April 2025 (one), December 2025 (one), and June 2026 (one), at which point the non-PiS nominees will have a majority (although it is still likely that many cases will be decided by PiS nominees). One more seat opens in September of 2026, maybe you get one more in January of 2027 (very unlikely), and then you have to win another election. Pawłowicz and Piotrowicz will remain in their seats until December of 2028.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

All cases ruled on by these three judges can be considered null and void. You could also make a case that cases where they weren’t directly ruling on could also be questioned, because they might have had were they chosen to. Not to mention, the head of the court is past her term limit, and that further invalidates things.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
The question of how to approach the cases decided by the wrongly nominated judges is a giant can of worms that might create a fresh constitutional crisis all on its own, but I will say the reasoning of "but they could have ruled, if not for the fact that they weren't on the board for the case" seems extremely weaksauce to my non-lawyer brain. In any event, it does nothing to stop the remaining twelve PiS judges from revisiting the "tainted" cases and just upholding the original ruling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Oh absolutely I agree that would be extreme and stretching things, but I’m ashamed to admit this is my post-PiS brain at work.