Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Private Speech posted:

Is there such a thing as a subordinate day?

"Subordinate day is the 25th of every month when you get paid!! :mad:" i say, immediately after asking twitter why there's no white history month

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

Failed Imagineer posted:

I suppose that would be Labour Day*

*Not supported by Starmer, K.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

keep punching joe posted:

A good boss should be willing to:

* Turn a blind eye to acceptable skiving
* Give at least a good rating in an annual review regardless of performance
* Take the hit for any fuckups that your guys do, and then berate them for it mercilessley in the groupchat

Mine is basically all that, but also willing to remind people/help with whatever is needed and doesn't get abusive towards their direct reports.

Though an observation I've had is that the better paid you are the seemingly more likely it is you'll have a decent boss too. Not guaranteed by any means, just more likely.

I think more generally that's also the prevailing view in YOSPOS at least.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/KayBurley/status/1713824657260892564

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

It's an obvious reference to the LBJ Vietnam scar cartoon

At some point we just need to start calling these people culturally illiterate cunts, especially when they're the same people who defend gollywogs.

Need to add me to that list as I had no idea about this cartoon.

So I am going to put this down to Bell being a navel gazing oval office like all auteurs are.

Edit for not being able to spell, I am dyslexic so gently caress you.

notaspy fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Oct 16, 2023

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

notaspy posted:

So I am going to put this down to Bell being a navel gazing oval office like all autists are.

Good lord what a typo. I assume you mean artist???

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
My boss doesn't know the difference between 'I owe you an apology' and 'I'm sorry'

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

I got a 'I was sorry to hear you felt like you were..." non-apology once, but I guess it comes down to how they say it really

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

(Israeli ambassador responding to a question about "is there a humanitarian crisis?" with "are you a mother?"
Then goes onto calling the Palestinians Nazi's.)

Also, did Kay Burley visit Gotham City and come back with a compulsion to flip a coin every day to decide on her views on an issue?
Like last week she was being called out for almost making up quotes from Ambasadors, and here she is allowing the Israeli ambassador to look deranged and unhinged.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Microplastics posted:

I thought I might have spelt it wrong. What's the word for the type of artist that disappears up their own arse by making something so obscure that you have to know absolutely everything about everything to get their genius?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Microplastics posted:

Lmao

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

notaspy posted:

I thought I might have spelt it wrong. What's the word for the type of artist that disappears up their own arse by making something so obscure that you have to know absolutely everything about everything to get their genius?

You may be thinking of 'auteur', although that's not exactly the right definition for the word.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

notaspy posted:

Ohhh, auteur. lmao

e: yeah not really the definition of the word but it's close enough to explain the confusion.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

The Question IRL posted:

(Israeli ambassador responding to a question about "is there a humanitarian crisis?" with "are you a mother?"
Then goes onto calling the Palestinians Nazi's.)

Also, did Kay Burley visit Gotham City and come back with a compulsion to flip a coin every day to decide on her views on an issue?
Like last week she was being called out for almost making up quotes from Ambasadors, and here she is allowing the Israeli ambassador to look deranged and unhinged.

Kay Burley and others like her are simply after reactionary soundbites. Their entire purpose is to provoke, goad and be disingenuous to whoever's on the hit list to elicit a 5-30 second soundbite that Sky News can put on their social media channels for clicks. She's not alone in this but she's one of the most popular and egregious examples.

Edit: V Thank you for the correction, this was my mistake. V

frytechnician fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Oct 16, 2023

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

Sky isn't owned by Murdoch and hasn't been for some time (not that comcast is perfect).

But yes she does produce content along those lines, like a rightwing O'Brien maybe.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Kay does definitely have a two-face situation going on where she can be properly good or loving pathetic. I guess it's like a knock-off version of Jeremy Paxo where his attack dog style of interview is great on those that deserve it but comes across as unhinged when it's someone who doesn't.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

*flips a coin* tails, this oval office from Great Ormund's Street is gonna get the worst ten minutes of his life

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Tesseraction posted:

Ohhh, auteur. lmao

e: yeah not really the definition of the word but it's close enough to explain the confusion.

Thanks to you and the poster above you.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
I declare tomorrow to be international computer day. Clear your browser cache, clean the keyboard, wipe the screen etc. Day after is bathtub day, clean your bathtub

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

https://news.sky.com/story/ambulance-boss-apologises-after-patient-declared-dead-wakes-up-12985463

lmao

"I'm sorry but your father is dead"

"I'm what?! gently caress off mate"

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

I declare tomorrow to be international computer day. Clear your browser cache, clean the keyboard, wipe the screen etc. Day after is bathtub day, clean your bathtub

Help I tried to be patriotic but I deleted system32 and what is this

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

Apparently Steve Bell has done a few comics drawing this type of ire.

quote:

In October 2020, the Equalities and Human Rights Commission found the Labour Party guilty of having broken equalities laws regarding its handling of antisemitism. Jeremy Corbyn said the problem had been "dramatically overstated" by political opponents, and his membership was immediately suspended. Bell produced a cartoon, published in The Guardian, of Keir Starmer presenting Corbyn's head on a platter, based on Caravaggio's portrayal of Salome with the Head of Saint John the Baptist from the biblical story in the New Testament. The Guardian received 32 complaints of antisemitism. Labour peer Lord Andrew Adonis described the cartoon as "repellent".

The comic in question:

And a guardian article exploring it a bit here

I honestly struggle with this stuff. I'm not Jewish so have a degree of cultural blindness to things Jewish people might be more sensitive to. I'm probably too uncultured to know the inns and outs of these biblical stories and wider cultural significance...but all of this just feels like a reach? If Steve Bell really was racist why would the only proof be these subtle links? The Corbyn head on a plate on is particularly relevant - what is the actual implication here? How much additional context, conjecture and supposition needs super-imposed onto this to create an anti-semitic narrative?

The guardian article says "However, using a Jewish biblical figure who conspired against a saint was highly provocative and open to just the kind of interpretations made".

A few days ago an israeli human rights lawyer tweeted a cartoon of a boot marked 'IDF' crushing a cockroach which was a clear caricature of an Palestinian. We've seen the Israeli defence minister refer to Palestinians as animals. I know this sounds like whataboutery, but it seems as though the State expects perfect, bloodless, qualified statements from its enemies at all times, whilst hand-waving away a bit choice its its allies say.

winegums fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Oct 16, 2023

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Tesseraction posted:

https://news.sky.com/story/ambulance-boss-apologises-after-patient-declared-dead-wakes-up-12985463

lmao

Thought I was in the AEW thread for a second there

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Tesseraction posted:

lmao

quote:

An ambulance trust has apologised after a patient declared dead by one of its crews woke up in hospital.

The hospitals are woke now too!

Anonymouse Mook
Jul 12, 2006

Showing Vettel the way since 1979

His Divine Shadow posted:

The hospitals are woke now too!

No no, it is the patient who was woke!

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Modern conservatives are at best indifferent and more frequently openly hostile to the concept of truth. All that matters is winning. Simply declare that whatever would make you be winning is the way things are.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

winegums posted:

The guardian article says "However, using a Jewish biblical figure who conspired against a saint was highly provocative and open to just the kind of interpretations made".
Interpretations is the key here, within the field of British cartoons which routinely do "I'm drawing Rishi Sunak with giant red lips, it's incisive commentary" and "I am Stanley McMurtry and I am being allowed near a pen again" without being sacked for bigotry.

And they shouldn't, to be clear, but it is strange that Bell specifically keeps getting complaints that require a divinity degree to unpack while Mac sits there gleefully writing out all the sounds he thinks Chinese people make.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jE-SFnFC8Ok

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

winegums posted:

Apparently Steve Bell has done a few comics drawing this type of ire.

The comic in question:

And a guardian article exploring it a bit here

I honestly struggle with this stuff. I'm not Jewish so have a degree of cultural blindness to things Jewish people might be more sensitive to. I'm probably too uncultured to know the inns and outs of these biblical stories and wider cultural significance...but all of this just feels like a reach? If Steve Bell really was racist why would the only proof be these subtle links? The Corbyn head on a plate on is particularly relevant - what is the actual implication here? How much additional context, conjecture and supposition needs super-imposed onto this to create an anti-semitic narrative?

A few days ago an israeli human rights lawyer tweeted a cartoon of a boog marked 'IDF' crushing a cockroach which was a clear caricature of an Israeli. We've seen the Israeli defence minister refer to Palestinians as animals. I know this sounds like whataboutery, but it seems as though the State expects perfect, bloodless, qualified statements from its enemies at all times, whilst hand-waving away a bit choice its its allies say.

They don't give a gently caress, they throw out antisemitism accusations like pennies in front of those vampires that have to stop and count pennies.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I stopped taking liberals seriously with regards to accusations of anti-Semitism around the time Jeremy Corbyn said the words "Jeffrey Epstein".

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Gorn Myson posted:

I stopped taking liberals seriously with regards to accusations of anti-Semitism around the time Jeremy Corbyn said the words "Jeffrey Epstein".

But he did it in a German way. And you know who else spoke German? That's right - Rosa Luxemburg.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
Herr Flick, also German.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The eps on the Tyne are all mine all mine.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
MAC regularly draws black people with bones through their noses and/or as minstrels, sometimes shaking spears and that and that's okay I suppose

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
https://twitter.com/SaulStaniforth/status/1713918251955032122?t=yNWZjbWW4AvxXFnKZtjbFA&s=19

UK Be Normal Challenge

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

UK is normal. Extremely normal, I'll have you know.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Oct 16, 2023

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Only normal normal, extremist normals are sent to Prevent.

crispix posted:

MAC regularly draws black people with bones through their noses and/or as minstrels, sometimes shaking spears and that and that's okay I suppose
That's the mail's only acceptable kind of shakes spear reference.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

That's the mail's only acceptable kind of shakes spear reference.

:ughh:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Sir, sir stop operating that is a terror baby you are saving sir. Sir put down the scalpel or I will have you arrested for incitement to prolonging a baby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

J/K the Most Moral Army would burst in, shoot him in the head without asking questions, shoot the baby, shoot him again, and then call in an airstrike.