Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Adrianics posted:

I cannot get along with the decision to not only make Saville an on-screen presence in that show, but also have him played by loving Steve Coogan of all the people on this planet.

Like, if you were ever going to do this, and even that merits an extensive discussion, I'd think the only decent way to go about it would be to 100% focus on the victims and cover-up, and have Saville be an occasionally referred to and named but never seen presence. This is clearly Coogan attempting to branch further into dramatic work and it's gross as gently caress, and looks like something from Dead Ringers.

It's especially ghastly that it's a BBC show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

If anything the only notable thing about the movie is Coogan's excellent performance. Otherwise its just an unnecessary addition to a mountain of documentaries, books and podcasts on the subject.

It gave me something close to the feeling that Netflix documentary from last year gave me. I got a third of the way through it and thought "what exactly am I learning here? Theres nothing in this I didn't already know".

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Gorn Myson posted:

If anything the only notable thing about the movie is Coogan's excellent performance. Otherwise its just an unnecessary addition to a mountain of documentaries, books and podcasts on the subject.

It gave me something close to the feeling that Netflix documentary from last year gave me. I got a third of the way through it and thought "what exactly am I learning here? Theres nothing in this I didn't already know".

Yeah the Netflix thing was incredibly surface level, basically just the stuff the news said at the time. I feel like it was intended for a non UK audience who might not have been familiar with the situation.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

stev posted:

Yeah the Netflix thing was incredibly surface level, basically just the stuff the news said at the time. I feel like it was intended for a non UK audience who might not have been familiar with the situation.

I doubt you'll ever get a really in-depth, mainstream look at the case. It would mean questioning institutions and individuals who are still in power and wildly popular and certainly knew more than they have let on.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Much easier to just 'tell the story' and have everyone pat themselves on the back for their courage, maybe launch a few Times books of the months

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.

PriorMarcus posted:

I doubt you'll ever get a really in-depth, mainstream look at the case. It would mean questioning institutions and individuals who are still in power and wildly popular and certainly knew more than they have let on.

Yeah this is where I am with the whole thing. Nobody wants to look any deeper than what was made public during the enquiry as there isn't a single strand of the British establishment that isn't implicated in some way, and those who are still alive are, at the very best, extraordinarily litigious.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Adrianics posted:

Yeah this is where I am with the whole thing. Nobody wants to look any deeper than what was made public during the enquiry as there isn't a single strand of the British establishment that isn't implicated in some way, and those who are still alive are, at the very best, extraordinarily litigious.

I mean, one of those still alive is the King, so you're 100% right.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjRg-bBy8iU

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Just finished all of it. It has no sympathy for Savile, it saves that for his victims. Its for an audience that watched him in his pomp but don't understand "the real Jimmy Savile".

Steve Coogan is fantastic. It could so easily be a performance that pushes towards parody but he plays how seductive and menacing he was all at once. But if you're of an age (most of us) that watched him when he was elderly, you always knew he was suspect so theres nothing surprising there.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I look forward to the similarly adapted drama in 10 years when the other ‘big untouchable name’ carks it and it all comes out.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
I think Coogan is a bit Partridge-esque in his performance, but there’s also an element of his Tony Wilson in it. I think it’s an incredible performance, but I can see why people are finding it uncomfortable or, indeed, unnecessary.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I think it handles the whole thing really well to be honest with a big focus on the impact he had on victims. I think the main point though was to show how it could happen as it’s just so hard to process - it happened, people knew, and it was allowed to continue. That’s hard to get through your head so actually seeing it happen did help with that and understanding things like institutional inertia and how power lets you do anything.

I can see why people might find it tasteless and I went in prepared to feel like that but I think they’ve done a good job. Also it los airing on BBC but they had no editorial control whatsoever, it was made by ITV.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat
Don't think it got mentioned at the time, but The Sixth Commandment on iPlayer was a storming bit of true-crime drama. Obviously a less well known case and kind of lacks the ick of the Beeb cashing in on their own scandal.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

PriorMarcus posted:

There's a few documentaries on youtube that get close.
Like interviews from people who were abused in the 50s/60s by him, his own nephew, etc.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

Fatty posted:

Don't think it got mentioned at the time, but The Sixth Commandment on iPlayer was a storming bit of true-crime drama. Obviously a less well known case and kind of lacks the ick of the Beeb cashing in on their own scandal.

This was insanely good imo. One of those shows where in literally the first couple of minutes you're utterly hooked, and completely confident that what you're about to watch is top quality.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Fatty posted:

+1. Timothy Spall is incredible in it, and does a great job of pitching the killer as a 100% piece of poo poo but it's still completely understandable how a powerful personality like that both draws in the weaker personalities and intimidates the stronger personalities into not saying or doing anything.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat
The whole time it made you unsure how to feel about Martyn, obviously he was just as much of a victim of the powerful personality you couldn't help felling sympathy. But he was so complicit.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Oh no, I watched the first episode of Big Brother. I know how this ends. Luckily it’s the shortest season ever so won’t be the time sink it used to be.

I already have OPINIONS.

Volcano
Apr 10, 2008

we're leaving the planet
and you can't come

EL BROMANCE posted:

Oh no, I watched the first episode of Big Brother. I know how this ends. Luckily it’s the shortest season ever so won’t be the time sink it used to be.

I already have OPINIONS.

Share those opinions because I'm also watching it, RIP free time

So far I like Yinrun, Trish and Hallie. Was expecting to find Jordan annoying but turns out I actually enjoy his constant affected aura of misery. Olivia is doing my head in

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

My main take is, based on the launch episode

Jenkin is just the most unlucky person in the world, and he’s taken it in his stride. He lost the first game just by pure luck, and the rest soon followed and got eliminated, he then got saw first by the housemate coming in to the hide n seek challenge who didn’t see that previous punishment, again by pure luck as there was 2 other people next to him. On the pass the parcel he again gets picked by someone who once again did not see him get 2 punishments already, and then BB stopped the music on him for the last round knowing full well he was gonna be seen as the bad guy… yet again by someone who has not seen how much he’d been crapped on, and he literally picked the person who’d barely been through the door and hasn’t spoken to and even said that was his reason. If he had spoken to her he’d probably not have picked her, because it was obvious she was going to be an issue. If he’d picked anyone else, they would’ve brushed it off I’m sure.

I don’t like that BB has placated Olivia by giving her an immunity for such an easy challenge when she should fully be on the chopping block as per their own rules. No chance that was ever in the plan, but they realize she’s going to stir poo poo up constantly and don’t want her getting evicted.

I like pretty much everyone so far though, and appreciate the demographics are pretty different to MAFS people. I was expecting a lot more lip filler.

Anyway, here’s a quick live look in to the house…

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Volcano posted:

Olivia is doing my head in

DOIN MA TATS UN

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Man, my kid has started watching the Clifford the big red dog adaptation on Netflix, and it stars Jack Whitehall doing an American accent and god I can't stand it.

I also googled him and discovered he lives in a £17.5m town house in London with his Vogue model wife, and he also still somehow manages to look about 22 while being the same age as me and this whole episode has ruined my day.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
And you ruined our day too making us remember Jack Whitehall existed again.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

We rewatched Fresh Meat recently and he's surprisingly decent until you remember that he's not really acting and he is just like that.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

I can't stand Jack Whitehall, but he's genuinely great in season two of The Afterparty

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

My heart absolutely sank when he was announced as being cast in Good Omens, and he was still pretty terrible. But at least he wasn’t in it much, which felt like a deliberate choice.

His worst stuff is the shows he does with his dad, where they’re both insufferably posh together. His dad always comes across as genuinely unpleasant.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

stev posted:

We rewatched Fresh Meat recently and he's surprisingly decent until you remember that he's not really acting and he is just like that.

He was good in that, especially the scenes with Howard, they were always so delightfully baffled by each other.

The funniest thing Jack Whitehall has ever done though, is the Big Fat Quiz of the Year where a VERY rambunctious Mr Blobby appears, and Jack just about widdles himself in sheer terror, spending most of the section huddled under a desk, pleading for Blobby to leave.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

The Perfect Element posted:

Man, my kid has started watching the Clifford the big red dog adaptation on Netflix, and it stars Jack Whitehall doing an American accent and god I can't stand it.

If I remember correctly there's a line in the film about his character growing up in different places which feels like it was put in to try and handwave his shoddy accent. I don't understand why you wouldn't just have him speak in his normal accent or just cast someone else.

I will say, he's not bad in Jungle Cruise, but again he's basically playing himself.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

His worst stuff is the shows he does with his dad, where they’re both insufferably posh together. His dad always comes across as genuinely unpleasant.

"Incredibly rich celebrity goes on an all-expenses paid holiday with one or both of their parents" as a genre is a blight on humanity and a sad sign of how far our culture has fallen, I genuinely will never understand what anyone gets out of it

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Adrianics posted:

I can't stand Jack Whitehall, but he's genuinely great in season two of The Afterparty

reality_groove posted:

I will say, he's not bad in Jungle Cruise, but again he's basically playing himself.

Didn't realise he was off working in America. I could see his "posh boy who says outrageous things" act working quite well over there. I don't love him, but don't hate him either. As others have said, he's good when playing himself, but any clips of his stand up I've seen have been terrible.

Also, thanks for reminding me that there was a second series of The Afterparty. First one was good fun.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
A can see what they were going for, but the Ghosts finale was all a bit underwhelming. It all felt more like a series/season ender than the big farewell.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Mickolution posted:

Also, thanks for reminding me that there was a second series of The Afterparty. First one was good fun.

I preferred the second season to the first, mainly because the mystery feels a lot better plotted and intracate, plus Zach Woods is fantastic in it.

Sadly, Apple+ have cancelled it :(

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

reality_groove posted:

If I remember correctly there's a line in the film about his character growing up in different places which feels like it was put in to try and handwave his shoddy accent.

To be fair americans are so bad at recognising accents that as long as you're vaguely american it's fine

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Pablo Bluth posted:

A can see what they were going for, but the Ghosts finale was all a bit underwhelming. It all felt more like a series/season ender than the big farewell.
I havent watched yet, but theres a christmas special still to come so im not expecting them to burn down the house or all the ghosts to get sucked off or anything huge.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Taear posted:

To be fair americans are so bad at recognising accents that as long as you're vaguely american it's fine

Karl Urban in the Boys being repeatedly referred to as British

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Julio Cruz posted:

Karl Urban in the Boys being repeatedly referred to as British

The fact that his parents in the show are actually British comes across like a knowing in-joke.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

stev posted:

The fact that his parents in the show are actually British comes across like a knowing in-joke.

I genuinely thought it was a deliberate move to have him clearly not be British and just have it as a joke about this black ops guy having a really shaky legend

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

I think the worst non-British actor doing a British accent I've seen was that Netflix show that Michael C Hall was randomly in a few years ago. Ostensibly set in London despite it clearly being filmed in Manchester and Liverpool, and Hall sounded like a street urchin from an amdram Dickens production.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

stev posted:

His dad was played by Australian actor John Noble, and he managed to have the same halfway round the world aussie/cockney accent as Urban, which felt strongly like lampshade hanging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Urban is an honourary Brit for getting people to forget the Stallone version of Judge Dredd.