Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

crestfallen posted:

I need a warm fall jacket. The kind that isn’t too hot when it’s like 55-60 but isn’t too cold when it’s like 35 at night. I tried the REI down vest thing but it didn’t fit well.

This isn’t necessarily for backpacking I guess but that would be an awesome bonus.

Patagonia nano puff (or other brand equivalent) plus an extra shirt or a hoodie or wind jacket to layer. That's exactly the temp range I like mine for (well, up to about 50, especially if active, a bit higher if there's wind).

effika fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Oct 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

effika posted:

Favorite water bottle slings? I've got a 32oz Takeya. Takeya sells one and I may just get that but I'm not sure I like the strap.

Also looking for a sling bag to hold my bottle plus assorted other small things while out. I've narrowed it down to the Osprey Daylight Shoulder Sling and the Patagonia Atom. Anyone have a favorite between those two?

I have an older model Osprey Daylight sling. It's great like all of Osprey's bags, and it looks like they've made some improvements over mine. The only complaints I had with it were that it didn't stay as high as I wanted it to (possibly this was my fault; I haven't worn it in years), and I don't like the teardrop shape. It's spacious inside though which is nice for large and oddly shaped things.

I haven't tried the Atom, but people seem to like it a lot.

I use this one from Hydro Flask (which looks like it has actually been discontinued but is still available in some places) that has a huge external bottle pocket. It also has a tuck-away stabilizer strap that's great for cycling etc.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I have an older model Osprey Daylight sling. It's great like all of Osprey's bags, and it looks like they've made some improvements over mine. The only complaints I had with it were that it didn't stay as high as I wanted it to (possibly this was my fault; I haven't worn it in years), and I don't like the teardrop shape. It's spacious inside though which is nice for large and oddly shaped things.

I haven't tried the Atom, but people seem to like it a lot.

I use this one from Hydro Flask (which looks like it has actually been discontinued but is still available in some places) that has a huge external bottle pocket. It also has a tuck-away stabilizer strap that's great for cycling etc.

Oh, that comes in a pretty blue color too. I'll give that one a try first.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

crestfallen posted:

I need a warm fall jacket. The kind that isn’t too hot when it’s like 55-60 but isn’t too cold when it’s like 35 at night. I tried the REI down vest thing but it didn’t fit well.

This isn’t necessarily for backpacking I guess but that would be an awesome bonus.

As always, it's all about the layers. I sank the money into a rab flash jacket and an rei windbreaker. The rab is perfect for me, warms me up but does jack poo poo to stop a breeze so it keeps me dry. If it gets too windy I throw on the windbreaker and will stay warm (as long as I'm active) into the teens (Fahrenheit).

I carry that combo all year, even in summer and the only thing it can't handle is rain.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

effika posted:

Oh, that comes in a pretty blue color too. I'll give that one a try first.

I like how the black one has that high-contrast blue interior. Just be aware that the interior is not a big dump pocket like the Atom or Daylight. There's a bigger pocket with mesh for keys etc., a flatter one for things like phones and tablets (with softer felt material), and a smaller semi-hidden one that's good for a phone. The water bottle pocket mostly expands outward, but it does press in on the interior some. Normally I prefer big dump interiors, but I really appreciate the organization in this one.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

crestfallen posted:

I was in the same position last year and settled on the Arc'teryx Atom LT Hoody as being just about warm enough for below freezing nights (with another layer) but cool enough that I can wear it hiking and XC skiing during the day. I also tried the Rab Xenon and Patagonia Nano Puff, which seemed pretty similar but fit me less well.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I like how the black one has that high-contrast blue interior. Just be aware that the interior is not a big dump pocket like the Atom or Daylight. There's a bigger pocket with mesh for keys etc., a flatter one for things like phones and tablets (with softer felt material), and a smaller semi-hidden one that's good for a phone. The water bottle pocket mostly expands outward, but it does press in on the interior some. Normally I prefer big dump interiors, but I really appreciate the organization in this one.

I was going for big open spaces with the other ones expecting to shove my big water bottle in there, so I think it'll be an ok trade off. I've got two phones, a minimalist wallet and keys, a Kleenex packet, and maybe a granola bar or two to store. It's mainly for wandering around the art district with friends so no need to pack heavy. Thanks to this thread I have plenty of bags for that! :shepspends:

I'll have to do a little trip report when I get it in.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
My favourite piece of outerwear is easily my Patagonia Nano Air Hoodie. I wear it during shoulder season camping for colder nights and mornings, all through fall and in the winter for high cardio activities on colder days, or as my main jacket when it's around freezing.
It's probably close to 10 years old now and has held up great even though I've used it a bunch while snowboarding and wiped out a couple times resulting in big slides. Really surprised it held up to that abuse given how soft it is.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I like to layer my r1 hoodie with a houdini jacket, works well for a huge range of conditions

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
This is great. Agree on the layering. Thanks for all the advice everyone, have a bunch of options to check out now.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time
I come from a cycling background, so layering is second nature for me.
Here in SoCal, I pretty much only have 4 layers with me in winter, 3 for all other times of the year.
1) Wool T (always wear one of these)
2) Long sleeve Wool T
3) Thin Columbia puffy with some sort of reflective liner.
4) Zpacks rain jacket and pants.

Items 1-3 I bought on super sales really cheap. Item 4 was a bit spendy but totally worth it. Having a waterproof rain and wind shell the actually ventilates is a huge luxury.

Ulesi
Aug 30, 2023

Cat rear end Trophy posted:

I come from a cycling background, so layering is second nature for me.
Here in SoCal, I pretty much only have 4 layers with me in winter, 3 for all other times of the year.
1) Wool T (always wear one of these)
2) Long sleeve Wool T
3) Thin Columbia puffy with some sort of reflective liner.
4) Zpacks rain jacket and pants.

Items 1-3 I bought on super sales really cheap. Item 4 was a bit spendy but totally worth it. Having a waterproof rain and wind shell the actually ventilates is a huge luxury.

I've started to move away from wool and started using synthetic. I hate how long it takes wool to dry. But yeah, these layers are exactly what I do.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I have a weird use case that is not camping-related, but camping gear is probably the most useful way to address it. I am finding myself in situations where I am out and about and I need to feed my preschooler. Occasionally myself as well, but mostly her. As I am sure you all know, preschoolers make an incredible mess with everything at all times, and food is no exception, so I don't want her to eat in my car; last time I had her sit on the edge of the trunk of my car (an Outback) and she made a huge mess there too and it was a big pain in the rear end to clean.

This need is becoming frequent enough that I'd like to address it. This sounds slightly nuts as I'm typing it out, but I was thinking of getting a small camping table that I can keep stowed in my car, and I'm looking for recommendations. Because of the use case, my priorities are 1. hard surface so it's easy to clean and 2. small stowed size. (EDIT: Oh, and quick to set up/tear down.) I was thinking about the Stoic Dirtbag Side Table -- it's cheap, it's small, my two other experiences with Backcountry's house brand have been decent -- although I'm wondering if I should look at something larger that could accommodate 2-3 people. Probably not worth it though since I want to keep the stowed size down as much as possible.

Any other suggestions? I already have a couple camp chairs although I might wind up getting another one if there's something that folds up tinier.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Get one of those dog car hammock things and let the kids go ham? :btroll:

https://a.co/d/4YSpeKb

effika
Jun 19, 2005

deong posted:

Get one of those dog car hammock things and let the kids go ham? :btroll:

https://a.co/d/4YSpeKb

That's what I was going to suggest-- something like a car seat protector you'd use with dogs. I still remember the "eating blanket" my sister and I had as kids. It was just a picnic blanket (the kind that had vinyl on one side) that we kept in the car for times like this. Shake it out when done & wash as needed.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

guppy posted:

I have a weird use case that is not camping-related, but camping gear is probably the most useful way to address it. I am finding myself in situations where I am out and about and I need to feed my preschooler. Occasionally myself as well, but mostly her. As I am sure you all know, preschoolers make an incredible mess with everything at all times, and food is no exception, so I don't want her to eat in my car; last time I had her sit on the edge of the trunk of my car (an Outback) and she made a huge mess there too and it was a big pain in the rear end to clean.

This need is becoming frequent enough that I'd like to address it. This sounds slightly nuts as I'm typing it out, but I was thinking of getting a small camping table that I can keep stowed in my car, and I'm looking for recommendations. Because of the use case, my priorities are 1. hard surface so it's easy to clean and 2. small stowed size. (EDIT: Oh, and quick to set up/tear down.) I was thinking about the Stoic Dirtbag Side Table -- it's cheap, it's small, my two other experiences with Backcountry's house brand have been decent -- although I'm wondering if I should look at something larger that could accommodate 2-3 people. Probably not worth it though since I want to keep the stowed size down as much as possible.

Any other suggestions? I already have a couple camp chairs although I might wind up getting another one if there's something that folds up tinier.

not crazy, totally get where you're coming from

from thing cleaning perspective I might recommend avoiding rolltop or slatted top tables

maybe something like this: https://www.rei.com/product/168773/rei-co-op-outward-side-table ?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Yeah, maybe. I was hoping to keep it cheaper but it's an option. A blanket is also a possibility, I suppose, just more annoying to clean.

I was planning to set up the table and a chair outside the car, making rolltop/slatted less of an issue, I think.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you want something small, REI has a little metal table. The surface is like 12"x24". It folds up simply and is sturdy as heck, is my favorite roadside impromptu table. It also slots in almost perfectly on top of those pine crates that IKEA sells.

Roll tops are nice because they pack down small and can provide a huge surface but I've found them to be either really flimsy or really fussy to assemble. I'll never buy a wood one again either because the wood swells/shrinks depending on season and refuses to go together properly.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I think Walmart sells a plastic version of that Stoic side table.

I like this if you're looking for a full table and chairs setup. Coleman Outdoor Compact Folding Table, Sturdy Aluminum Camping Table with Snap-Together Design, Seats 4 & Carry Bag Included; Great for Camping, Tailgating, Grilling, & More https://a.co/d/f22q5x3

I had success with this when my kids were smaller but toddler might be too big Summer Infant Pop ‘N Sit Portable Booster Chair, Gray - Booster Seat for Indoor/Outdoor Use - Fast, Easy and Compact Fold https://a.co/d/emKEIy4

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

FogHelmut posted:

I think Walmart sells a plastic version of that Stoic side table.

I like this if you're looking for a full table and chairs setup. Coleman Outdoor Compact Folding Table, Sturdy Aluminum Camping Table with Snap-Together Design, Seats 4 & Carry Bag Included; Great for Camping, Tailgating, Grilling, & More https://a.co/d/f22q5x3

I had success with this when my kids were smaller but toddler might be too big Summer Infant Pop ‘N Sit Portable Booster Chair, Gray - Booster Seat for Indoor/Outdoor Use - Fast, Easy and Compact Fold https://a.co/d/emKEIy4

This looks good to me, but it does not actually include chairs, it's just the table (which is fine). It is a larger surface area than the Stoic, though, which is nice.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

If you're talking about a good setup for pulling over to eat, I would just do a picnic/outdoor blanket imo. It's a good skill for kids to learn, to eat sitting on the ground, anyway. Setting up a table and chairs every time your kid needs a snack sounds like a huge hassle imo but i guess that's your prerogative

As a fellow preschool haver, I also don't comprehend how you are still holding onto the idea of a clean car lol. Have you tried picking road foods that aren't too wet/sticky, that can easily be vacuumed up? Most vegetables, apples, starchy things like bread/crackers/etc, cheese, all of that stuff dries out and vacuums right up without leaving residue. We use a portable vac (glorified dustbuster, really) and vacuum the back seat area after any big weekend road trips.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
My 20 month old eats sitting on the ground. If there's nowhere nice to sit I've got a picnic blanket in the car.
While we are good about packing healthy lunches and snacks for the kiddo we are less organized for ourselves so on bigger road trips she'll often end up eating while sitting in a booth bench at a restaurant. That has definitely helped us to learn to pack things that aren't messy, and relevant to the thread, translated well to camping with her.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Initial report on the three slings and how they fit with my Takeya 32oz water bottle and my usual pack out (minimalist wallet plus keys, two phones, pocket Kleenex, and if space sunglasses and a kindle)!

Patagonia Atom sling:
Can't fit the bottle inside and still zip it up-- it's just not tall enough or flexible enough to gain space from the rest of the bag. However, it does look the best when worn, is second most comfortable, and the front strap pocket is actually useful. The compression straps on the outside compartment should do well to hold a jacket or something like that. It fits everything but my water bottle really well, which is a shame.

Osprey Daylight Shoulder Sling:
Holds the bottle in the main compartment well enough. Everything, even the Kindle and sunglasses, can fit with the water bottle, though it's a bit tight. Removing the kindle and the sunglasses leaves it easier to use and wear. The front strap pocket might be good for a granola bar or similar but is otherwise very awkward. The strap is not particularly comfortable (too wide) but it's otherwise a well thought out bag. It looks sleekest of the three.

Hydro Flask sling backpack:
The outer pocket holds the bottle without its silicone boot with a little bit of cajoling. It goes in very easily if I turn the bottle upside down, which is maybe not the smartest thing to do (how much do I trust those gaskets? More importantly, how much do I trust myself to tighten the lid?). The inner compartment is taken up by the bottle in its pocket to the point that getting my stuff in is a bit of a tight fit. If I put the bottle in the main compartment that actually allows for a little more leeway in putting the other stuff in and I can toss stuff in the water bottle pocket instead. The strap fits the best but the foam is a little rougher. (I can make a sleeve for it if needed out of some athletic fabric scraps.)

Overall:
I think the Osprey or Hydro Flask will work for me. And I'm so disappointed that the Patagonia didn't work for this project.

The husband got interested in this, so I think we'll end up keeping two of these and sending one back. He likes smaller bottles (16-20oz uninsulated freebies or disposable water bottles) so any of them should work. I'm leaning towards the Hydroflask myself.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Glad you liked the Hydroflask all right. The bottle holder might pack more easily with time.

I've been trying out a collapsible water bottle lately. It's great for space! Not so great for the actual drinking part.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Glad you liked the Hydroflask all right. The bottle holder might pack more easily with time.

I've been trying out a collapsible water bottle lately. It's great for space! Not so great for the actual drinking part.

I got addicted to water staying the Correct Temperature with insulated bottles. Collapsible are great for running though; love being able to just stuff them in my belt when done.

I really do love the color on that Hyrdoflask bag; it's such a pretty muted blue.

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010

Ulesi posted:

I've started to move away from wool and started using synthetic. I hate how long it takes wool to dry. But yeah, these layers are exactly what I do.

I love strong wool outer layers, but I wish I could go for synthetic base for just that reason.

Wools natural stink reduction means I never will though. Even for daily wear I just can't do synthetic for long in summer

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
I'm really starting to not mind wool/synthetic blends in my base layers and socks and such for that reason. Especially when I'm at work outside in winter and being wet and clammy will make you colder than anything

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I would like to use wool, but it irritates the hell out of my skin. As soon as I sweat the slightest bit every single fiber feels like it's stabbing needles into my back.

Apparently there's treatments out there to soften things up but I'm fundamentally lazy, I'm not gonna do some special wash sequence for a couple shirts when I can buy synthetic and not worry about it at all. And since I'm pretty much always solo I don't mind smelling a little ripe, it has to get real bad before I can detect it.

Ulesi
Aug 30, 2023

effika posted:

I got addicted to water staying the Correct Temperature with insulated bottles. Collapsible are great for running though; love being able to just stuff them in my belt when done.

I really do love the color on that Hyrdoflask bag; it's such a pretty muted blue.

Dumb question but does the load being on only one shoulder start to hurt your spine shoulder?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
In case anyone else was looking, I did end up going for that Stoic Dirtbag side table. I think it's going to be what I wanted. There's no assembly to speak of; you just fold up the slats on the side and splay out the legs. It's two sets of two slats apiece. It is quite small, you definitely wouldn't want to have more than one person eating on it, but I wanted something that would be compact when stowed and that's what I got. It is also quite low; I think it's meant to be sat next to a camp chair to hold a drink or a book or whatever. It seems reasonably sturdy -- I wouldn't put your whole body weight on it or anything, but I pushed down on it reasonably hard and it didn't budge or make weird sounds or anything. It also has a little storage bag with handles. I'd have liked a shoulder strap, but it's cheaper by far than the competition, I can't complain.

I also picked up a basic tripod stool from Alps. It's exactly like every other tripod stool you've ever seen, folds up small, seems solid. It has a storage bag but also has a shoulder strap on the stool itself in case you want to ditch the bag. It's nothing special, but it's also not cheap or flimsy. For the money -- not quite $10, even -- you can't really go wrong.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Ulesi posted:

Dumb question but does the load being on only one shoulder start to hurt your spine shoulder?

I've been wearing my backpack and crossbody bags on that same shoulder since I was a teen. It has probably caused me problems but I am not broken enough yet to realize it.

That said, this does feel a bit heavier than my usual crossbody bag. The crossbody bag is able to distribute some of that weight on my hip as the bag folds around/rests on it, but with the sling most of it is concentrated on the shoulder/chest just below it. It's hard to keep a bag like this cinched tight enough to get the weight spread out on all of my back.

It did well this weekend and felt like way less of a hassle than having a separate bottle so I'm pretty pleased with it all.

Ulesi
Aug 30, 2023

effika posted:

I've been wearing my backpack and crossbody bags on that same shoulder since I was a teen. It has probably caused me problems but I am not broken enough yet to realize it.

That said, this does feel a bit heavier than my usual crossbody bag. The crossbody bag is able to distribute some of that weight on my hip as the bag folds around/rests on it, but with the sling most of it is concentrated on the shoulder/chest just below it. It's hard to keep a bag like this cinched tight enough to get the weight spread out on all of my back.

It did well this weekend and felt like way less of a hassle than having a separate bottle so I'm pretty pleased with it all.

Okay cool I'll consider it. Since I don't really have the time to go on multi day trips I've been trying to at least do 10 miles or an overnight once a month. On those day hikes I really only ever use water and a snack so maybe sub my daypack out.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Goons, I'd like to graduate from car camping to backpacking eventually, and would like to get a starter pack. I don't really know where to begin with regard to pretty much anything. I realize that pack size is at least partly determined by how far you're going and how long you're going to be camping, but uh... is there any good rule of thumb for where to begin? What's a reasonable starter pack size? My harebrained scheme is to start off simulating backpacking by going car camping but hiking around the campsite with the gear (to simulate hiking to a campsite). That way, if I've screwed up something royally, I can just revert to car camping.

I also just don't know much about camping, period, and I'm wondering if I should look into REI classes or the likes. I have a few friends who were boy scouts that I go car camping with, but they've got young kids so I don't know how interested in backpacking they're going to be anymore.

Edit: also, for general cordage for stuff like setting up tarps and whatnot, what's a good cheap starter option? Paracord, I guess? Something I can buy a big wad of, so I can cut it down to appropriate lengths. What would be a good length to start with?

Dick Burglar fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Oct 31, 2023

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

A better way to test-run backpacking imo is to find a place with suitable campsites that are like 1/4 mile or less from the car. It's far enough that you actually get the reward of being remote-ish, but close enough that if you screw up you can just make two trips to the car.

Also plenty of people backpack with young kids, myself included. I wouldn't shy away from asking them. Although in my experience, people who used to be in boy scouts and haven't camped much since, tend to have very strange boy scout large-group ways of doing things and, to be frank, might not be very good teachers. But still, they're your friends, just ask if they're interested. Either way an REI class or local outdoors club are great ways to learn and meet people so that's never a bad idea.

Pack wise imo go to your outdoors shop of choice and chat with the backpack specialist, they tend to be really good guides and will help fit different packs on you. My only general advice is don't get a huge one, lest you fall prey to large pack syndrome (if you have the space, you'll find ways to fill it). I've used a 48L for years for 2-4 day trips, and it was always tight but worked. Now with two young kids it's starting to feel too small but I still make it work (with poo poo strapped to the outside)... kinda wish I had a 55-60L though. Honestly if i could go back in time that's probably what I'd get.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I recommend something in the 55-60L range as well. That's not so huge that you're going to be tempted to bring tons of extra stuff, and it's not so small that you're cutting out your favorite comforts. The size, weight, and price are all going to be about the same for 40s vs 50s anyway. Also, you don't have a bunch of specialized ultralight gear, so you might run into more space issues with a smaller pack than someone who has spent a while accumulating their preferred backpacking gear. When I first started out I had this huge car-camping sleeping bag that took up almost my entire backpack, so I was thankful for my giant 65L pack.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

thirding 60L as a reasonable sweet-spot for a beginner unless you want to go whole hog and spend thousands of dollars right off the bat

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Definitely not looking to spend a bunch right off the bat. I'd like to start with the basic necessities and then play around with bringing stuff and discovering what I can and can't live without, and what I miss and don't miss.

alnilam posted:

A better way to test-run backpacking imo is to find a place with suitable campsites that are like 1/4 mile or less from the car. It's far enough that you actually get the reward of being remote-ish, but close enough that if you screw up you can just make two trips to the car.

I can get behind this.

As for the friends with kids, I'm planning on asking them, but they're also far busier than I am so I'm likely going to have to look somewhere else for teachers anyway.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Also note that some backpacks come with a "+10" option. Like there's 60+10L bags out there that is technically a 60L bag, but it has an extra sleve of material allowing it to expand to 70L. This is probably intended to allow you to shrink a bag down as you eat food but I always rely on it as emergency space if I have to pack something extra.

Granted, you could also just get a 70L and compress it down to 60L, but such a bag will probably be heavier than a 60+10. Either way it might be worth pointing out that "room to adjust" is a feature that does exist out there.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Rei and kelty make good starting gear that won't break the bank. A good sleep system is key to a comfortable experience IMO.
The kelty cosmic is a great sleeping bag whether you go with the synthetic or down versions. It's also often on sale.
I'm not a fan of those foldable foam sleeping pads. I say get an inflatable one with an r value that works for the coldest time you'll be backpacking. I've always had issues with self inflating ones, but YMMV. A lot of pads come with a stuff sack that can be used as an inflation bag. It's very efficient and useful once you get the hang of it.
It doesn't seem like it would do a lot, but a camp pillow really helps to get you cozy. I use a thermarest compressible, but you'll find a lot more inflatable options. Those are nicer for getting the right firmness. I find the compressible better mimics a regular pillow.
If you don't have hiking boots, get some and break them in. Go on a few hikes within the return policy and see if they work for you.
Invest in good socks. Darn tough are the best I've purchased and have a lifetime warranty.
MSR pocket rocket is a great backpacking stove.
If you're going to go with freeze dried meals, get a long spoon/spork. You won't need more than that for utensils.
I recommend the sawyer squeeze for water filtration. It filters fast and comes with squeeze bags.

I haven't looked into it at all, but rei has gear rental programs. You can probably get kitted out, go for a short trip, and see if it's for you. That or buy everything, use it once or twice, then return it if you decide backpacking sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

its all nice on rice posted:

I'm not a fan of those foldable foam sleeping pads.

I, personally, prefer the simplicity of a foam sleeping pad, but I know plenty of people don't. But one thing you can't deny is they're cheap and functional, and might be a decent choice for someone starting out if backpacking is for them. I know people who got into backpacking with a foam pad and eventually "upgraded" (a loaded term imo) to an inflatable one; I thought that would be my trajectory too but I ended up not wanting to change it.