Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Why not just pull those shows directly into FCP as source material and use only the parts you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Shaocaholica posted:

Why not just pull those shows directly into FCP as source material and use only the parts you want.

It seems like that would really bloat the project I guess? But I'm not an expert at FCP, I basically taught myself stuff via YouTube.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Binary Badger posted:

Basically you do a revive if you want to preserve user data, restore is when you wanna the scorched earth route of burning everything away, like after a malware incursion or you want to give the Mac to someone without giving up the data.

You do have to be able to boot into DFU mode to use it but it seems foolproof past that.

The utility will download an bootable OS image OTA directly to the Mac being serviced via a USB-C cable; strange that in this instance they specifically disallow using a TB3 cable.

There's actually reasons for this which make sense.

The first part is that DFU (Device Firmware Update) isn't an Apple proprietary thing, it's a very old part of the USB spec. So even if you wanted DFU to run over a TB3 cable, that TB cable would have to be in USB mode.

The second part is that Apple needs their implementation of DFU to be capable of unbricking a Mac (or iOS device) which has had all of its writeable storage (both SSD flash and firmware flash) erased or corrupted.

So, Apple puts their DFU firmware in the only incorruptible storage on the platform: the stage 0 boot ROM. This is a mask ROM baked into the SoC itself; it can't be altered without physically damaging the SoC. Because stage 0 is a key component of Apple's platform security (it's literally the "root of trust"), it must be as close to 100% correct as Apple can possibly make it. There also aren't many bytes to play in; mask ROM on the SoC itself is an extremely expensive storage medium. And since it's truly read only, Apple can never fix bugs in fielded systems. For all these reasons, Apple keeps stage 0 brutally simple. It knows how to do two things: chain to a more complex stage 1 bootloader stored in a firmware flash chip on the motherboard (note: not the SSD), or make one specific USB port act as a DFU device and boot a program supplied over USB.

Stage 0 can't deal with iniitalizing things as complex as a Thunderbolt cable with active signal conditioning chips in the cable heads. It needs a dumb USB cable that's just plain wires.

This is also why, when you put a Mac in DFU mode, there's no UI to speak of. Gone are the days of the floating Firewire logo on a Mac in Target Disk Mode. Initializing things as complex as displays just isn't something Apple's stage 0 ROM can do.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

BobHoward posted:

:words: (fascinating bare metal architectural stuff, thanks for this info!)

Stage 0 can't deal with iniitalizing things as complex as a Thunderbolt cable with active signal conditioning chips in the cable heads. It needs a dumb USB cable that's just plain wires.

This is also why, when you put a Mac in DFU mode, there's no UI to speak of. Gone are the days of the floating Firewire logo on a Mac in Target Disk Mode. Initializing things as complex as displays just isn't something Apple's stage 0 ROM can do.

Yeah, when you put your Mac in DFU mode it's just a black screen and you have to rely on the service app running on the host Mac you connected your DFU Mac to to display a change in the connection status.

Apple also takes great pains to tell you to use a plain USB-C to USB-C when you do this, so yeah. I went looking for a good fast USB-C cable like the ones advertising 40 Gb connections but then I remembered that Apple's current TB3/USB-C setup won't let you do anything better than USB 3.1 Gen 2 / 10 Gb speeds. Would be nice if they fixed that in the M3..

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
Are uTorrent and Transmission from the OP still okay clients for downloading?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

hooah posted:

My work MacBook has started holding on to the Bluetooth connection to my headphones even when it's not playing audio. This is particularly annoying since the headphones are multi-point, so I used to be able to pause music on the laptop or leave a meeting and resume something on my phone. Now (I think since the 13.6 update) I have to disconnect the laptop from the headphones in order to hear anything from my phone. Is this some known issue? Is there a fix?

This is really getting irritating. Any clues?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Peteyfoot posted:

Are uTorrent and Transmission from the OP still okay clients for downloading?

Skip uTorrent.
Get Transmission if you're a light user who just wants to grab something and get out.
Get qBittorrent if you want something more powerful or want to manage seeds and stuff long term.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

101 posted:

Skip uTorrent.
Get Transmission if you're a light user who just wants to grab something and get out.
Get qBittorrent if you want something more powerful or want to manage seeds and stuff long term.

seconding qBittorrent.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

uTorrent bundled a crypto-mining client at some point (years ago) which may have been removed, but the trust was broken, and qBittorrent is great. I have it running in a Docker container on my Synology NAS.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I’ll second Transmission, it’s been great

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

BobHoward posted:

So, Apple puts their DFU firmware in the only incorruptible storage on the platform: the stage 0 boot ROM. This is a mask ROM baked into the SoC itself; it can't be altered without physically damaging the SoC.

So where is the stage 0 boot ROM on an Intel Mac? Just wondering.

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
Thanks for the recs! I'll stick to Transmission since I'm just snatching, if later on my use case changes now I know what to use. :tipshat:

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Binary Badger posted:

So where is the stage 0 boot ROM on an Intel Mac? Just wondering.

Nominally, Intel x86 CPUs start up just like an 80386 from the 1980s: they assume there's firmware stored in an external non-volatile memory, and that at least 16 bytes of this memory are mapped to physical address 0xFFFFFFF0 (just before the end of the 386's 32-bit address space). They fetch the instruction at that address and execute it. This first instruction is called the "reset vector" and it will almost always be an unconditional jump to another location inside the firmware.

On a modern Intel Mac (except T2 Macs), the reset vector and the rest of the UEFI firmware should reside in a motherboard flash chip which is directly addressable by the x86 CPU.

Under the hood, there's a bit more going on before an x86 chip actually jumps to its reset vector, because Intel has attempted to retrofit security into this nearly 40-year-old design.

https://mjg59.dreamwidth.org/66109.html

As Apple got more serious about security, they wanted to bring iOS quality boot security to the Mac, and that's why I said "except T2 Macs". On T2 machines, the UEFI image is in flash attached to the T2, and the T2 validates it and provides it to the x86 CPU. Apple also did a lot of customization in their UEFI implementation to improve boot security above the norm in the Windows PC world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3byNNUReyvE

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

101 posted:

Skip uTorrent.

I’ve had hundreds, maybe a thousand+, torrents running at a time in Transmission with no issue. Never found any reason to switch to anything more powerful, none of the other clients ever felt that good.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

If it's something that needs to just tick in the background, I've found Synology's built-in download station app to be… boring but sufficient. It won't blow the roof of even a modest building, and yeah, if you want to set up something more complex, then a proper desktop client will obviously be a better choice, but it's definitely an option.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

BobHoward posted:

Nominally, Intel x86 CPUs start up just like an 80386 from the 1980s: they assume there's firmware stored in an external non-volatile memory, and that at least 16 bytes of this memory are mapped to physical address 0xFFFFFFF0 (just before the end of the 386's 32-bit address space). They fetch the instruction at that address and execute it. This first instruction is called the "reset vector" and it will almost always be an unconditional jump to another location inside the firmware.

On a modern Intel Mac (except T2 Macs), the reset vector and the rest of the UEFI firmware should reside in a motherboard flash chip which is directly addressable by the x86 CPU.

Under the hood, there's a bit more going on before an x86 chip actually jumps to its reset vector, because Intel has attempted to retrofit security into this nearly 40-year-old design.

https://mjg59.dreamwidth.org/66109.html

As Apple got more serious about security, they wanted to bring iOS quality boot security to the Mac, and that's why I said "except T2 Macs". On T2 machines, the UEFI image is in flash attached to the T2, and the T2 validates it and provides it to the x86 CPU. Apple also did a lot of customization in their UEFI implementation to improve boot security above the norm in the Windows PC world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3byNNUReyvE

Brenden Gregg has an account here?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is Firefox notoriously unstable on Mac or is there something with my Macbook Air? Just getting frequent crashes, freezes and bugs to the point where it doesn't even feel worth using.

Kind of suspecting it might be something with my laptop. I bought this 2017 air for cheap off ebay when my 2013 model died and it's just been...weird. Hard to describe since most of the time it's fine but the whole thing has just felt unstable like I was having issues with it turning itself off and crashing apps, but resetting the pram seems to have fixed most of it, but Firefox is still all hosed up. Restarting, reinstalling, nothing seems to help. Debating whether I should maybe try a factory reset or even contact the seller.

It's weird cause the laptop is mostly fine but just has been full of little, hard to troubleshoot problems, and I haven't really had that issue with any mac I've owned before.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

veni veni veni posted:

Is Firefox notoriously unstable on Mac or is there something with my Macbook Air?

Been using it on and off for years on multiple Macs with no issues. Definitely sounds like something up with either your hardware or your macOS install.

DkHelmet
Jul 10, 2001

I pity the foal...

Firefox is my main browser for both my MBP and Studio. No issues for the past several years.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I use Firefox (M1 MacBook Pro) and it's solid as houses. Check your computer's hardware/software.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

:kimchi:

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Firefox needs to finally roll out Passkeys and Keychain support.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I don't think firefox will ever adopt apple keychain because they have their own password service :sigh:

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Corb3t posted:

Firefox needs to finally roll out Passkeys and Keychain support.

"The team is actively focusing on this feature and on track to release the MVP by November 21, targeting Firefox 120. MVP is expected to include support for CTAP2, iCloud Keychain, and a Conditional UI available on desktop platforms only." - Honza

Clark Nova posted:

I don't think firefox will ever adopt apple keychain because they have their own password service :sigh:

The thing above claims Firefox'll support Keychain Passkeys.

I take this wording to mean Apple will eventually create a Firefox version of their iCloud Passwords extension.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

:hellyeah: I also just tested the chrome icloud passwords extension again and at some point they made it actually work on MacOS instead of just scolding you

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

EL BROMANCE posted:

I’ve had hundreds, maybe a thousand+, torrents running at a time in Transmission with no issue. Never found any reason to switch to anything more powerful, none of the other clients ever felt that good.

I’m also not really sure I understand the complexity gradient here. Transmission has lots of community containers and a very robust set of CLI tools. It can launch scripts at any point I could think to want them. Some really excellent skins that integrate with bookmarklets and stuff. It’s lightweight enough that pairing it with a gluetun container (+ Mullvad) and forgetting about it has worked great on everything I’ve tried from an old bananapi to a VM on my gaming PC.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

jaegerx posted:

Brenden Gregg has an account here?

IDK who that is

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
Me either.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

BobHoward posted:

IDK who that is

TLDR: a very smart Linux/Unix man.

He make your websites go brrrrr.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I just got a new MBP and I remember from my 2008 MBP that I could use a three finger swipe motion up to go to the top of the page in the browser. Is this not possible anymore and if so, is there an app I can download that would provide this functionality?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
BetterTouchTool is a must, good sir!

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

rufius posted:

TLDR: a very smart Linux/Unix man.

He discovered hard drives slow down when you yell at them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDacjrSCeq4

and he is very smart guy. He wrote the literal book on performance for linux.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

jaegerx posted:

He discovered hard drives slow down when you yell at them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDacjrSCeq4

and he is very smart guy. He wrote the literal book on performance for linux.

That’s hilarious

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Busy Bee posted:

I just got a new MBP and I remember from my 2008 MBP that I could use a three finger swipe motion up to go to the top of the page in the browser. Is this not possible anymore and if so, is there an app I can download that would provide this functionality?

This should be possible natively (I'm doing it right now), I think I had to turn off 3-finger upswipe being something else in System Settings > Track Pad > More Gestures

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

Bobstar posted:

This should be possible natively (I'm doing it right now), I think I had to turn off 3-finger upswipe being something else in System Settings > Track Pad > More Gestures

Hmmm, I don't see it anywhere in the settings.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Step 1) Download BetterTouchTool

Step 2) Add these gestures for your trackpad so you can three finger swipe between apps, swipe down to close, or swipe up to open a new tab.

Step 3) Be sad whenever you're not using your trackpad.

Also great in Finder.

Edit: I went ahead and exported my gesture triggers, they can be downloaded here. You may have to go into the default macOS System Settings and disable/remap any three finger gestures to four fingers - I believe Mission Control is one of them.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Oct 16, 2023

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

rufius posted:

I despise websites with sound effects.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Switching back over to Safari as my Vivaldi seems to randomly crash at odd times. My gmail favicons don't seem to be updating properly. I cleared the cache and restarted the browser. It's initial current state was correct but as I archive/receive new mails the number of unread doesn't change. Am I doing something wrong here?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I've been primarily using a Apple devices since 2005, but I was recently given a Windows laptop for work, and hot drat is it jarring trying to get any real work done on it. Not having a top menubar for every app with quick access to keyboard shortcuts is so odd once you're used to having it. Keyboard shortcuts not visually showing that they're triggering like MacOS is really weird too. Mousing over ribbon menubar icons to figure out their keyboard shortcut is just so slow.

Plus the trackpad and keyboard are hot garbage - my body hates the fact that they gave me a laptop with a T10 numpad, shifting the trackpad and regular keys to the left.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Oct 17, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Corb3t posted:

I've been primarily using a Apple devices since 2005, but I was recently given a Windows laptop for work, and hot drat is it jarring trying to get any real work done on it. Not having a top menubar for every app with quick access to keyboard shortcuts is so odd once you're used to having it. Keyboard shortcuts not visually showing that they're triggering like MacOS is really weird too. Mousing over ribbon menubar icons to figure out their keyboard shortcut is just so slow.

Plus the trackpad and keyboard are hot garbage - my body hates the fact that they gave me a laptop with a T10 numpad, shifting the trackpad and regular keys to the left.

If you’re allowed to install software, PowerToys is a good Microsoft utility with a few Apple-like functions (wiggle mouse to highlight, CTRL-Space brings up a launcher, shortcut guide) that you might like.

(I also have to use a Windows machine for work ☹️)