Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shastahanshah
Sep 12, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Does anyone know if the Signalis dev(s) have talked about what they want to do in the future?

It has to be one of my absolute favorite games and I'd love to see them do more, but I can't imagine doing a direct sequel or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

Shastahanshah posted:

Does anyone know if the Signalis dev(s) have talked about what they want to do in the future?

It has to be one of my absolute favorite games and I'd love to see them do more, but I can't imagine doing a direct sequel or anything.

Didn't look like it. Their website is all Signalis and Yuri Stern only reposts Signalis fan art.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5Iq8tw5yhc

This is pretty cool and informative. The narrative director of the original three Dead Space games spends 2 hours talking very openly about the writing of the series. Talks about how the games formed, changes in the Motive remake, what went wrong with the third game, and what was planned with the fourth.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Signalis famously was on Steam's wishlist page for like a million years so I wouldn't expect anything new from them soon.

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

exquisite tea posted:

Signalis famously was on Steam's wishlist page for like a million years so I wouldn't expect anything new from them soon.

The team is like two people. Yeah, I'm not expecting anything anytime soon. But I'm extremely pleased by what we did get

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
If you go through Alan wake quickly does that mean you'll skip the twilight zone-esque TV episodes?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

WHY BONER NOW posted:

If you go through Alan wake quickly does that mean you'll skip the twilight zone-esque TV episodes?

Yes, in the sense that you can go through the game in seconds if you snap the disk in half and throw it away.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Panderfringe posted:

The team is like two people. Yeah, I'm not expecting anything anytime soon. But I'm extremely pleased by what we did get

Apparently it was in development since 2014. So yeah unless they really step up and/or make it a full time job, not sure we'll see anything soon.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Bugblatter posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5Iq8tw5yhc

This is pretty cool and informative. The narrative director of the original three Dead Space games spends 2 hours talking very openly about the writing of the series. Talks about how the games formed, changes in the Motive remake, what went wrong with the third game, and what was planned with the fourth.

this is an absolutely fascinating watch. Finding out co-op in DS3 was forcefully added at the literal last minute and the story writing team getting told to write the story to fit around it, oof.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

A Cool Video Game Too posted:

this is an absolutely fascinating watch. Finding out co-op in DS3 was forcefully added at the literal last minute and the story writing team getting told to write the story to fit around it, oof.

What is said about DS4? I'm not going to get a chance to watch this for awhile.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

PriorMarcus posted:

What is said about DS4? I'm not going to get a chance to watch this for awhile.

they talk about it in a narrative sense and within the context of how they would have reworked DS3 without tossing the core arc out.

I'm not gonna be able to do it justice in a post as it's imo a fairly complex discussion and I'm on mobile right now. The quick and dirty TLDR is that they consider DS and DS2 to be Alien and Aliens respectively, where as DS3 is Fight Club (what is real, what is fake?) and the theoretical DS4 would be The Matrix (transcending your fate/the matrix)

Make of that what you will.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

ALAN WAKE 2!!!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I hoped for a second that they might've gone "surprise, the game's ready to go this week after all!", but sadly it was not to be :sigh:

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
I just finished the Dead Space remaster and it was really good. I liked that they changed some stuff but still left in the big whopping plot hole from the original game. Whatever. It's a horror game. Still my favorite horror game of all time and I'll probably replay it every year like I did with the original

I moved on to RE8. I also have RE7 and while I normally try to play series games in order, I decided to skip 7 and go right to 8 because I wanted to see what the deal was with the 9 foot tall vampire woman

And welp, I'm glad I skipped 7 because there's a recap video when you start a new game that summarizes what happened and then the whole game turns out to be for nothing because the wife you saved at the end gets immediately refrigerated. I love video game writers

Anyway as far as the game itself is concerned, it's such a departure from Dead Space and I have to admit that I got super spoiled by the"go this way" button that wandering around trying to figure out where to go in RE8 was annoying. The game eventually told me about the map screen but that only helps a little. It's not a big deal and exploration has always been part of RE games so I'll get used to it

The enemies are super hard to kill and that's also really annoying. I'm glad that it's not an easy game but it's also annoying that when you die you respawn way back at the last auto save and that sucks!

I'm going to push through it anyway because I'm intrigued by how the story was set up. Chris is a villain now? Why did the wife have to get fridged?

I'm not expecting a great explanation or story because it's RE but the exploration and combat are enjoyable enough that I'm having a good time so far despite all my complaints

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I can't wait to hear about what you think of certain scenes towards the end without the context of RE7. Also play RE7, it's good!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Canonically, 8 never happened in my timeline because I chose not to save Mia every time I played the game, so there was no reason for Chris to jump in and try to fix things in his classic meatheaded way. It's just Ethan out there living his best single dad life, no crazy European vacations for him.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Elephant Ambush posted:

I just finished the Dead Space remaster and it was really good. I liked that they changed some stuff but still left in the big whopping plot hole from the original game. Whatever. It's a horror game. Still my favorite horror game of all time and I'll probably replay it every year like I did with the original

I moved on to RE8. I also have RE7 and while I normally try to play series games in order, I decided to skip 7 and go right to 8 because I wanted to see what the deal was with the 9 foot tall vampire woman

And welp, I'm glad I skipped 7 because there's a recap video when you start a new game that summarizes what happened and then the whole game turns out to be for nothing because the wife you saved at the end gets immediately refrigerated. I love video game writers

Anyway as far as the game itself is concerned, it's such a departure from Dead Space and I have to admit that I got super spoiled by the"go this way" button that wandering around trying to figure out where to go in RE8 was annoying. The game eventually told me about the map screen but that only helps a little. It's not a big deal and exploration has always been part of RE games so I'll get used to it

The enemies are super hard to kill and that's also really annoying. I'm glad that it's not an easy game but it's also annoying that when you die you respawn way back at the last auto save and that sucks!

I'm going to push through it anyway because I'm intrigued by how the story was set up. Chris is a villain now? Why did the wife have to get fridged?

I'm not expecting a great explanation or story because it's RE but the exploration and combat are enjoyable enough that I'm having a good time so far despite all my complaints

You really should play RE7. All of this is explained and having played RE7 makes it more impactful, not to mention I personally think RE7 is the superior game.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
The first RE8 trailer ended with Chris capping Mia so figuring out what's actually going on is a big selling point for the game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

I hoped for a second that they might've gone "surprise, the game's ready to go this week after all!", but sadly it was not to be :sigh:

Even if it was I'm pretty sure they don't want to go up against Mario Wonder and Spider-Man 2.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
New build your own horror bundle, you can get all the Dread X games for $8.
Also I played through Growing My Grandpa! and that’s probably one of my favorite indie horror games I’ve played recently, just an amazing style.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

RE7 is the best RE

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

RE7 is the best RE

It’s very good and saved the series after 6, but there’s no way it’s better than Remake 1, Remake 2, or 4/Remake 4.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RE7 has great tone and atmosphere but I really don't like the gameplay and enemy design much. The molded are just dull and the blocking mechanic still feels weird even after two games.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
RE7 is the best in the series for a pure horror game. It's the only one that actually legit scared me.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Professor Wayne posted:

I can't wait to hear about what you think of certain scenes towards the end without the context of RE7. Also play RE7, it's good!

Oh I will eventually

Edit: and yeah I'm guessing Mia isn't really dead in 8. Fully expecting to run into her late in the game

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

ImpAtom posted:

RE7 has great tone and atmosphere but I really don't like the gameplay and enemy design much. The molded are just dull and the blocking mechanic still feels weird even after two games.

The intro sequence in RE7 is just fantastic, and it goes downhill quickly after that. That first part is exactly what I want in atmosphere and feel in a horror game.

Lucca Blight
Jun 2, 2009

Gann Jerrod posted:

New build your own horror bundle, you can get all the Dread X games for $8.
Also I played through Growing My Grandpa! and that’s probably one of my favorite indie horror games I’ve played recently, just an amazing style.

Are all of them worth picking up? The Dread stuff somehow never made it on my radar.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
RE7 isn't the best game in terms of story or campaign, but it has like 30 different DLC modes some of which could've been their own games, so in my mind it is the best due to this. I'm still disappointed 8 doesn't even remotely compare. 7 has puzzles, joke mods, hardcore mode, mode for fighting and strategizing, 3 story modes, it's just an amazing value

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I think the new re 2/3/4 remakes are the new canon and the new style of gameplay. It's faster than the older remakes and generally easier (I mean you don't even have limited saves unless you play on hardcore)

I wonder if RE9 will be third person or first person or they'll give us both from the start.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Im fairly certain 1st person is only for Ethan's story arc and the next one will be 3rd person just like Rose's dlc story in RE8.

They can however make 1st person available in VR just like in RE4make.

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Oct 17, 2023

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

Lucca Blight posted:

Are all of them worth picking up? The Dread stuff somehow never made it on my radar.

Personally I'd say $10 for each of the games is worth it so $8 for all of them is a steal. They get better and better in terms of selection of games in each collection as well as the meta game. There are definitely some not good games you'll come across but honestly I think the worst games are just forgettable rather than outright terrible.

Montague Tigg fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Oct 17, 2023

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
RE7 has the Angry Old Man Punching Zombies DLC, which rules insanely hard

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Signalis is leaving Gamepass at the end of the month, for those that need a push to play it.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
Huh.

https://x.com/gamespot/status/1714298511997776111?s=61&t=H_3r_s27E92NklbqYnIvSA

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hm, so Fortnite is canon to both Alan Wake and Star Wars.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

it's like $25 for the game and American nightmare just play it you weirdos

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

it's good

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
yeah but the original game doesn't let you play as Meowskulls

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

RE7 is imo the best because it's actually scary (none of the other RE games save REmake are actually scary to me), emotionally resonated with me (the Baker family is sad, and so is Jack's plea to you during the flashback), stunned me with its attention to environmental detail (the Baker house feels like the most fully realized location in the entire series), and just generally has a brilliant ambiance to it that the rest of the series just doesn't. The sound design is just absolutely top notch for the series as well, it's an incredible game to listen to.

4 may be a better game to play, same with the remake of 2, but they didn't leave a fraction of the impression 7 did, when it comes down to it, also the save theme is unforgettable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Yeah , but the last third is nothing to write home about. Just hours spent shredding legions of mould men with the crappy machine gun.

Village only had weak spot, being the Lycan stronghold, then closed with a surprisingly traditional RE level instead going all linear in a lab.