Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

I have a bunch of killstreak weapons for the engineer, but I almost never get good killstreaks with him. The class design is so reliant on switching your loadouts constantly, and switching your loadout clears your killstreak. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Hihohe posted:

Still say the 3rd degree needs ubercharge drain
That would make it very viable

Ubercharge drain but does 80% less damage and on successful removal of 80% ubercharge a crit taking out both the med and the pocket :twisted:
That is actually probably not viable. I am not a stats man.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Radiation Games posted:

The only class I do not enjoy fighting is the heavy and that is for silly reasons caused by the way the game was advertised; i.e. they always seem to have a pocket medic

I don't think heavy is pocketed due to marketing.

He's a solid choice that has a lot of health and pushes the frontline, and unlike soldier and demo, doesn't explosive jump away from you constantly.

He's also the only pocket target that can heal you back.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Man, there's so many costumes I want to do up my little men in but I feel really constrained by the 3 cosmetics slot limit.

Its probably for the best in terms of performance but hurrrgh, I have a summer scout loadout and I have to make brutal decisions between the Aloha Apparel and the Summer Shades.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I am here once again to complain about stranges, as Dragons' Fury is not available in strange flavor.

Let me track my kills, Gabe!

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

strange killstreak jetpack please

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

strange killstreak festive banana please

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Is there a good way to get into MvM? Even just Boot Camp? I don't care about the Australiums, the game mode just seems fun and cool.

Butt Detective
Mar 24, 2013

Only the dead can know peace from these hats.
As a general rule, I never play MvM with randos - only with a friend group. I especially recommend this if you’re new to the gamemode and aren’t familiar with the “meta” yet. Playing with friends gives you waaaay more leeway to just piss around.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
The easy missions are generally pretty doable even with randos. I think the later maps' easy missions are a bit easier than the original maps.

Demoman is probably the most straightforward class to go into MvM with, there's basically no MvM specific special abilities or mechanics and the gameplay is going to be basically identical. Heavy is also good, but you do have to keep in mind that you'll be facing way higher volumes of incoming fire, so positioning can get very tricky. Also, tanks have major built in damage resistance against miniguns, which the game isn't very upfront about signaling for you.

Pyro is also pretty straightforward, but again you will have to be creative with positioning sometimes in order to be able to contribute without immediately getting owned.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Butt Detective posted:

As a general rule, I never play MvM with randos - only with a friend group. I especially recommend this if you’re new to the gamemode and aren’t familiar with the “meta” yet. Playing with friends gives you waaaay more leeway to just piss around.

I don't have five friends that play TF2.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
It's been a long time but from my memory there isn't really a great niche for pyro in mvm, particularly when there is a scout. Scout is very reliant on being the one to collect money to accomplish anything and not die, and any class who needs to get close is going to step on that a bit.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Just use the gas passer and solo the whole drat thing

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Pyro is good generic DPS, top tier antitank DPS, and can push the bomb carrier off cliffs. It's usually not a particularly necessary niche but it's hard to gently caress up as long as you have the game sense to stay alive.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

girl dick energy posted:

Is there a good way to get into MvM? Even just Boot Camp? I don't care about the Australiums, the game mode just seems fun and cool.

Weezy on YouTube has a bunch of good videos on MvM, watching them is a good place to start

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

drrockso20 posted:

Weezy on YouTube has a bunch of good videos on MvM, watching them is a good place to start
I've been watching a few of these. I'm a Heavy main in casual, is Heavy pretty similar in MvM aside from the different weapon viabilities?

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Il be honest i recently did a tour of two cities entirely pubbed and it was completely pain free. I just played what i could based on what was needed and had little issues.

It seems like somone always wants to engie. And my 4 games were 2 medics, 1 soldier, 1 heavy. Honestly playing pub medic is super chill. Just try to overheal everyone and be using the critz and upgrade your medigun and nobody gives a poo poo how good you are if you keep them alive/rez when they die.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

girl dick energy posted:

I've been watching a few of these. I'm a Heavy main in casual, is Heavy pretty similar in MvM aside from the different weapon viabilities?

Brass Beast is pretty much your main choice since the mobility penalty won't matter nearly as much since you'll be parked near a dispenser in ideal situations. Basically you're a living sentry gun. Though your DPS against tanks is lackluster since tanks have hefty minigun resistance.

Just don't go for knockback rage, that's a trap upgrade. It halves your fire rate when active, and knockback isn't a mechanic you should be widely using in MVM aside from emergencies since it means you aren't getting that damage ramp up from robots getting close to you. Also I don't think the knockback upgrades even work right nowadays.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Araxxor posted:

Brass Beast is pretty much your main choice since the mobility penalty won't matter nearly as much since you'll be parked near a dispenser in ideal situations. Basically you're a living sentry gun. Though your DPS against tanks is lackluster since tanks have hefty minigun resistance.

Just don't go for knockback rage, that's a trap upgrade. It halves your fire rate when active, and knockback isn't a mechanic you should be widely using in MVM aside from emergencies since it means you aren't getting that damage ramp up from robots getting close to you. Also I don't think the knockback upgrades even work right nowadays.
Brass Beast / Sandwich / GRU (or Fists of Steel?), go for BIG NUMBERS and being a pain in the rear end to kill?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

girl dick energy posted:

Brass Beast / Sandwich / GRU (or Fists of Steel?), go for BIG NUMBERS and being a pain in the rear end to kill?

Generally yeah. Though across all classes you do have some leniency on which weapons you want to go with, and that goes for Heavy as well in certain situations.

For example, Buffalo Steak + Warrior's Spirit can be a good way to tank bust if tanks end up being a big problem (Since miniguns deal very nerfed damage to tanks). And infinite refunds are an official feature so you can tailor Heavy or whatever other class to the wave at hand.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Is the bison still outrageously OP against tanks?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I’ve also heard the stock Minigun is just as good, depending on the situation. Is there a good rule of thumb for when to run which? (Also when you use GRU vs. FoS?)

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

The main thing is the downsides for the brass beast in MvM are basically not a factor at all esp with a single pip of knockback resistance to use in the rare emergency case of a demo knight getting too close without a uber or barrier up. Every other minigun doesn't offer anything remotely as useful as just more raw damage.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Araxxor posted:

Generally yeah. Though across all classes you do have some leniency on which weapons you want to go with, and that goes for Heavy as well in certain situations.

For example, Buffalo Steak + Warrior's Spirit can be a good way to tank bust if tanks end up being a big problem (Since miniguns deal very nerfed damage to tanks). And infinite refunds are an official feature so you can tailor Heavy or whatever other class to the wave at hand.

Worth mentioning there is one exception to the infinite refunds, you can't refund canteens

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

The halloween update has been out for a few days (and includes some fun zombie infection maps!) but the game is mostly unplayable due to the amount of bots present

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
really?

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:
i still solely play on the uncletopia servers and it's been perfectly fine

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

pokchu posted:

i still solely play on the uncletopia servers and it's been perfectly fine

Private servers can actually ban people in a meaningful way. Or, at least, that's what I assume is the reason for bots not going buck loving samurai wild on private servers.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Bots have been annoying, i've definitely hit some casual servers that were infested and beyond saving, but many other times we've been able to kick the bots out and I've been making good progress on my halloween contracts.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Oxyclean posted:

Bots have been annoying, i've definitely hit some casual servers that were infested and beyond saving, but many other times we've been able to kick the bots out and I've been making good progress on my halloween contracts.

Can halloween contracts be done on the Uncletopia servers?

TF2 is something I've plinked away at sporadically, and want to check out the seasonal content. To my knowledge there is stuff tied to achievements/items during Halloween and Christmas. Am I missing any other events?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Anti-Hero posted:

Can halloween contracts be done on the Uncletopia servers?

TF2 is something I've plinked away at sporadically, and want to check out the seasonal content. To my knowledge there is stuff tied to achievements/items during Halloween and Christmas. Am I missing any other events?

Contracts cant be done on community servers. And even then, it'd probably be a bit more annoying to do so, since a lot of contracts are gated behind doing other contracts, so you tend to want to focus on doing the maps you have contracts for.

Contracts are mostly for getting halloween locked cosmetics, if you don't care about that sort of thing, then "checking out the seasonal content" is mostly just playing the maps and maybe going for the achievements, which you can do on any server running the maps. (Hell, custom servers can even enable the holidays at any time, including achievements, IIRC, but contracts are controlled by Valve entirely)

I'm not aware of events outside of Halloween and Christmas, but I haven't kept up a ton.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Oxyclean posted:

Contracts cant be done on community servers. And even then, it'd probably be a bit more annoying to do so, since a lot of contracts are gated behind doing other contracts, so you tend to want to focus on doing the maps you have contracts for.

Contracts are mostly for getting halloween locked cosmetics, if you don't care about that sort of thing, then "checking out the seasonal content" is mostly just playing the maps and maybe going for the achievements, which you can do on any server running the maps. (Hell, custom servers can even enable the holidays at any time, including achievements, IIRC, but contracts are controlled by Valve entirely)

I'm not aware of events outside of Halloween and Christmas, but I haven't kept up a ton.

Yah, I'm not really into the cosmetics, but definitely interested in the achievements. I'll boot the game up and give it a spin!

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
i tried doing a few contracts but one was specific for a dinosaur map barely anyone plays and also im just bad in general

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Paging Fishbus:

https://www.pcgamesn.com/brink-2

quote:

Writing under the incredibly apt username ‘Brink2,’ one devotee of the erstwhile shooter is on a mission. For over a year, they have been amassing copy upon copy of Brink as part of a solo campaign to incentivize a sequel. It’s not easy. Games cost money, and Brink2’s local game stores only stock copies from time to time. Nevertheless, the mission continues – as of Friday November 10, Brink2 has collected precisely 31 copies of the forgotten shooter.

Brink2 also shares some hopes for a sequel. “For the most part, I’d keep the core gameplay. I’d want plenty of progression options for engagement along with lots of customization.

Somebody on this planet would like more Brink maps, please

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

I have a bunch of killstreak weapons for the engineer, but I almost never get good killstreaks with him. The class design is so reliant on switching your loadouts constantly, and switching your loadout clears your killstreak. :(

Can't you just set up a sentry nest?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

pisshead posted:

Can't you just set up a sentry nest?

It's pretty rare for me to be in a situation where I have a static sentry nest getting me good killstreaks. This might be because I play on Uncletopia, but nevertheless, static sentry nests tend not to last very long. Even still, the pressure to swap weapons mid-life exists. As long as you are running the Eureka Effect, you can always situationally swap out your primary for the Frontier Justice to score free crits. Plus, if you're still alive once you've expended the crits, you can teleport back to spawn to re-equip your normal shotgun or Rescue Ranger. Plus, one's teleporter entrance is always getting hassled if the enemy team is smart. Being able to go back to spawn, drop a new entrance, swap to the Jag, boost the teleporter, then switch back to the Eureka Effect to get back to the front is a thing you need to do constantly.

(can you tell that the eureka effect is my favorite wrench yet)

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5m3OEWZitM

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

haven't played in several years, i randomly decided to reinstall the game today. i'll let you know if i get chewed up

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

paradoxGentleman posted:

haven't played in several years, i randomly decided to reinstall the game today. i'll let you know if i get chewed up

Try playing on uncletopia if casual has too many bots or blatant human cheaters. It is not quite a replica of casual as there’s no random crits and class limits, but it’s a consistent set of servers with good admins that means you’ll be able to play the game instead of constantly having to kick bots or switch servers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

paradoxGentleman posted:

i think i was not the worst player in there. i got some kills, got some assists. i certainly didn't carry the team.