Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

great big cardboard tube posted:

Some guys get BJ ghosts and some get paralysis demons, the world is so unfair

I just saw the Whitest Kids U Know sketch where Zach finds out that a ghost is teabagging him so this post was unusually funny to me

Extra row of tits posted:

I heard it changed [Jennifer Grey's] face so radically her parents failed to recognise her when they saw her post surgery!

Wasn't her career death because her nose was part of her "unique" look and having a nose job just made her look average/boring?

Edmund Sparkler posted:

Jenny Slate did the same thing, lol.

Every once in a while, I still think about that sketch and get vaguely secondhand embarrassed :negative: It wasn't even that funny of a sketch!

Edward Mass posted:

John Landis’ directing career died when Vic Morrow was decapitated, I forgot about that.

Vic Morrow and two Vietnamese children, don't forget them :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

YeahTubaMike posted:

Vic Morrow and two Vietnamese children, don't forget them :smith:

yeah. that whole story is depressing and if you havent listen to the landis episode of behind the bastards because it shows what a loving shitshow it was. he got high on his own supply and wanted to make poo poo as "accurate" as possible and payed the kids parents under the table and lied to them about the dangers and other poo poo and kept having the chopper do more dangerous poo poo.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I really want to listen to Behind the Bastards but half the episodes have Robert's dumb friend as a guest, a guy who consistently contributes absolutely nothing in an astounding way.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I don't really think John Landis' career ever died, even though it should have. The Twilight Zone movie came out in 83, he still did Coming to America, Spies Like Us, Three Amigos, and a whole host of smaller projects. He pretty much just retired at a certain point, he got away scot-free despite definitely being culpable for 3 deaths. I don't give a poo poo how good Blues Brothers is, this guy should have paid for his crimes.

As for Max Landis, yeah, hopefully that guy's career is dead and buried. He made those "Death and Return of Superman" and "Wrestling Isn't Wrestling" short films which everybody loved at the time. He had insane cameos from all kinds of stars, despite these things basically boiling down to "Max Landis talks about a thing with only the slightest amount of criticism or original thought". But "Wrestling Isn't Wrestling" had a bunch of babes dressed as wrestlers so it got really popular, WWE even talked about it, and I think that launched Landis to the point that he could make Bright. Then he made Bright, was revealed as a massive sex pest and an actual rapist, and even said that his crimes weren't that bad because he "wasn't a real celebrity".

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
I still am flabbergasted at how Game of Thrones was rushed at the end, I still just can't believe it.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

A Fancy Hat posted:

I don't really think John Landis' career ever died, even though it should have. The Twilight Zone movie came out in 83, he still did Coming to America, Spies Like Us, Three Amigos, and a whole host of smaller projects. He pretty much just retired at a certain point, he got away scot-free despite definitely being culpable for 3 deaths. I don't give a poo poo how good Blues Brothers is, this guy should have paid for his crimes.

As for Max Landis, yeah, hopefully that guy's career is dead and buried. He made those "Death and Return of Superman" and "Wrestling Isn't Wrestling" short films which everybody loved at the time. He had insane cameos from all kinds of stars, despite these things basically boiling down to "Max Landis talks about a thing with only the slightest amount of criticism or original thought". But "Wrestling Isn't Wrestling" had a bunch of babes dressed as wrestlers so it got really popular, WWE even talked about it, and I think that launched Landis to the point that he could make Bright. Then he made Bright, was revealed as a massive sex pest and an actual rapist, and even said that his crimes weren't that bad because he "wasn't a real celebrity".

bright is a case of how an idiot builds world building. because there is stuff in their thats almost interesting but like nothing changes. like you have an earth timeline where fantasy stuff like lord of the rings is real but the orcs mostly rebeled against not sauron and their are still weird poo poo brewing over that but also all of american history still happened like the alamo. like that doesnt work.

Spinz posted:

I still am flabbergasted at how Game of Thrones was rushed at the end, I still just can't believe it.

yeah, like the ending was never gonna be amazing because of how meh the last couple seasons were but lol.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Kind of funny to see the two extremes, the GoT show runners rushed the ending to be done with it, while GRRM seems uninterested in finishing the books at all

Gurm is even more annoyed, he was hoping someone would write a cohesive ending to the whole thing so he could steal it and pretend it was his all along.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Spinz posted:

The visible starbucks up in a shot was pretty :lol:

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
Biggest example of people just dropping the ball I can think of. *Everyone* was talking about GoT, then it finished and everyone just ...forgot it existed. All enthusiasm just vanished.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

the GoT guys haven't snuck back in and started writing and producing more shows have they

Sheik Yerbouti
Apr 14, 2009

You can't always write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say, so sometimes you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whipped cream.
Aren't they working on an adaptation of the Three Body Problem books? (Even though a Chinese version already exists which is as close to the book as you can get without breaking any censorship laws...)

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I'm waiting for someone to write a fantasy sci-fi themed space opera and we have have Space Dragons.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Bonzo posted:

I'm waiting for someone to write a fantasy sci-fi themed space opera and we have have Space Dragons.

I think Piers Anthony did something like this, but I recommend waiting for someone who isn't a mask-off pedophile to crack at it.

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh
Has this thread discussed Milli Vanilli yet?

These guys achieved three number-one hits from just one album, and for a brief moment, they were on top of the world. But once everybody found out they weren't even singing their own songs, their careers practically disintegrated overnight.

(The practice of hiring models as "visual performers" in pop music was a fairly common practice, bound to backfire sooner or later. Martha Wash is a prime example of a supremely talented vocalist who never got the credit she deserved because she didn't have the right look.)

I honestly feel bad for the two faces of Milli Vanilli, Rob and Fab. They found themselves in a binding contract without proper legal counsel and, in Fab's case, in a language he couldn't even read. They were trapped in a situation where they felt they had no choice but to go along with the scheme. The alternative was paying back the advance, which, for two guys who were broke as hell, was all but impossible.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Roblo posted:

Biggest example of people just dropping the ball I can think of. *Everyone* was talking about GoT, then it finished and everyone just ...forgot it existed. All enthusiasm just vanished.

yeah. the last episode before the awful battle, the hype was nuts and it had some genuinly good moments and then WOOOPS. and what sucks is there were so many moments that could have been easily redone that at least made some of the moments actually sorta work. espcially the Jamie plotline and arya/hound stuff.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

ghost emoji posted:

These guys achieved three number-one hits from just one album, and for a brief moment, they were on top of the world. But once everybody found out they weren't even singing their own songs, their careers practically disintegrated overnight.

(The practice of hiring models as "visual performers" in pop music was a fairly common practice, bound to backfire sooner or later. Martha Wash is a prime example of a supremely talented vocalist who never got the credit she deserved because she didn't have the right look.)

I honestly feel bad for the two faces of Milli Vanilli, Rob and Fab. They found themselves in a binding contract without proper legal counsel and, in Fab's case, in a language he couldn't even read. They were trapped in a situation where they felt they had no choice but to go along with the scheme. The alternative was paying back the advance, which, for two guys who were broke as hell, was all but impossible.

German/Belgian/French recipe for a hit group: white dorks make music, while the management hires some attractive models to do the dancing/singing on stage and in videos. Goombay Dance Band, Boney M, Mr. President, 666, Brooklyn Bounce, La Bouche... tons more. Scatman's unexpected career change (the guy actually was a prolific jazz pianist and vocalist) in the 90's was orchestrated by some German DJs and Lou Bega was "invented" the same way (though he at least he does sing on his records) by some dance music producers. Most of what we consider "90's dance music" was probably made by a dozen of flabby white guys.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Wasn't there an upcoming pop star who had a Milli Vanilli moment on SNL? She was, uhhh Britney Spears's sister, maybe...?

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

credburn posted:

Wasn't there an upcoming pop star who had a Milli Vanilli moment on SNL? She was, uhhh Britney Spears's sister, maybe...?

Ashley Simpson, who has already made an appearance in this very thread

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

YeahTubaMike posted:

Wasn't her career death because her nose was part of her "unique" look and having a nose job just made her look average/boring?

It got her a role in the highly successful and popular LA take on Seinfeld, It’s Like You Know.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Skippy McPants posted:

No idea why they were in such a hurry to get done with GoT. Far as I can tell, neither of them has done anything even remotely as relevant before or since. Definitely one of the bigger Dunning–Kruger moments in recent entertainment history.

They could have had a series that lasted the ages and rode that kudos to better things, now it's just the past tense. :rolleyes:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Szyznyk posted:

It got her a role in the highly successful and popular LA take on Seinfeld, It’s Like You Know.

drat, I thought I was the only person on earth that remembered that It's Like You Know ever existed

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

A Fancy Hat posted:

Then he made Bright, was revealed as a massive sex pest and an actual rapist, and even said that his crimes weren't that bad because he "wasn't a real celebrity".

I wish someone who isn't a giant piece of poo poo would find a director who isn't an insane primadonna and make a good Shadowrun movie not starring Will Smith :sigh:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

redshirt posted:

LOL I just want to laugh at those clowns behind Game of Thrones.

And this quote lives "rent free" in my head still:

"Danni kinda forgot about the Iron Fleet"

Same. I've never seen a quote that better encapsulates the idea of "Oh my god, this guy is a moron" than "Dany kind of forgot about the Iron Fleet."

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

nine-gear crow posted:

Same. I've never seen a quote that better encapsulates the idea of "Oh my god, this guy is a moron" than "Dany kind of forgot about the Iron Fleet."

Its up there with the showrunner forgetting that they placed one of their own, about to to show up on later series, characters to a ship that is shown to explode with all hands lost.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Der Kyhe posted:

Its up there with the showrunner forgetting that they placed one of their own, about to to show up on later series, characters to a ship that is shown to explode with all hands lost.

Oh yeah, Terry Matalas having a deer-in-headlights moment live on Twitter when some rando fan pointed out he accidentally killed Elnor by blowing up the Excelsior at the end of Star Trek: Picard was another one of those moments too. Just "holy poo poo, how did you even GET this job?"

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

hawowanlawow posted:

the GoT guys haven't snuck back in and started writing and producing more shows have they

Weren't they supposed to do some sort of alternate history show where the Confederacy won the Civil War, and it got shot down for obvious reasons?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

RocketMermaid posted:

Weren't they supposed to do some sort of alternate history show where the Confederacy won the Civil War, and it got shot down for obvious reasons?

Yeah, that was 10 years ago when they were only part-way through Game of Thrones. They started eyeing their Confederacy show idea as a means of getting out of doing GoT, and stopped giving a poo poo about Westeros around that time. This was also the point at which Geroge RR Martin's pre-written story material had run out and they had to transition to working off of his incomplete napkin notes and their own writing ability or lack thereof to fill in the gaps, so the show just started to circle the drain for multiple reasons.

They were then offered a Star Wars movie trilogy by LucasFilm, so they started focusing on that instead of giving Game of Thrones the attention it needed to bring it in to a competent ending, and then because they cocked up the ending to Game of Thrones and became radioactive overnight, Kathleen Kennedy fired them and scrapped their Star Wars trilogy, delivering the formal deathblow to their careers.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
According to Wikipedia the Three Body Problem is still in production with them as showrunners.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

nine-gear crow posted:

They were then offered a Star Wars movie trilogy by LucasFilm, so they started focusing on that instead of giving Game of Thrones the attention it needed to bring it in to a competent ending, and then because they cocked up the ending to Game of Thrones and became radioactive overnight, Kathleen Kennedy fired them and scrapped their Star Wars trilogy, delivering the formal deathblow to their careers.

lol watching the cast of GoT do everything they could to not talk about the final season of the show or the last episode was real :kiss:

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

BATS FLY AT MOON posted:

According to Wikipedia the Three Body Problem is still in production with them as showrunners.

I distinctly remember thinking, while reading the book: "Wow, this author is really banking on this getting an adaptation by either Nolan, Villeneuve or someone equivalently bombastic". So I'm sure they are absolutely thrilled.

Busters
Jan 24, 2014

ghost emoji posted:

I always thought their music was decent, and, although the people producing their music weren't getting the recognition they deserved, they were at least getting paid.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

ghost emoji posted:

they were on the super mario show.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7RTJyhhHs0
the original airing had "their" music.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Busters posted:

I always thought their music was decent, and, although the people producing their music weren't getting the recognition they deserved, they were at least getting paid.

I think at least one of the pretty boys they got as fronts later published a record showing that he actually could carry a tune. I think he got the worst part of it.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Der Kyhe posted:

I think at least one of the pretty boys they got as fronts later published a record showing that he actually could carry a tune. I think he got the worst part of it.

didnt one of them commit sucide like a couple years ago or something depressing.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Dapper_Swindler posted:

didnt one of them commit sucide like a couple years ago or something depressing.

Rob OD'ed on pills right after their Behind the Music gave them a redemption arc, but it was in 1998

Busters
Jan 24, 2014

Dapper_Swindler posted:

they were on the super mario show.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7RTJyhhHs0
the original airing had "their" music.

There's a few unedited and restored versions of this floating around. The super Mario show was like the party house crash couch for 90s celebs. Some great episodes with the c teir celebrities showing up. My favorite one is when Cyndi lauper comes over to tell Mario that his favorite wrestler, Captain Lou is in town. And because Mario is being played by cap, the episode devolves into him entering and exiting the set "just missing" himself.

But this thread is about the moment careers died, and luckily for us, that moment is captured on tape for Milli Vanilli

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvPXmkYMHFg

One of their best songs too. You know it's true.

Busters fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Oct 16, 2023

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Busters posted:

There's a few unedited and restored versions of this floating around. The super Mario show was like the party house crash couch for 90s celebs. Some great episodes with the c teir celebrities showing up. My favorite one is when Cyndi lauper comes over to tell Mario that his favorite wrestler, Captain Lou is in town. And because Mario is being played by cap, the episode devolves into him entering and exiting the set "just missing" himself.

But this thread is about the moment careers died, and luckily for us, that moment is captured on tape for Milli Vanilli

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvPXmkYMHFg

One of their best songs too. You know it's true.

The irony is, after "Girl you know it´s". The word 'true' refuses to play.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
When Rhonda Rousey fought against someone who knew how to defend against an armbar (Holly Holm).

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MrQwerty posted:

lol watching the cast of GoT do everything they could to not talk about the final season of the show or the last episode was real :kiss:

I love how Weiss and Bennioff dodged accountability for the final season for months, skipping Comic Con and going subterranean on social media, then did what they thought was gonna be a small-scale intimate discussion panel at some book fair thing where they said they loving nailed the finale, it was perfect, no notes, and of course it was live blogged on Twitter and exploded everywhere online and literally the next day LucasFilm was like "Dan Weiss and David Bennioff are no longer making a Star Wars movie for our company."

And then it came out they were were actually fired in like May of that year, like the week after the show ended, and LucasFilm was just waiting for the moment when the two dipshits resurfaced and open their dipshit mouths to make it official.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

nine-gear crow posted:

I love how Weiss and Bennioff dodged accountability for the final season for months, skipping Comic Con and going subterranean on social media, then did what they thought was gonna be a small-scale intimate discussion panel at some book fair thing where they said they loving nailed the finale, it was perfect, no notes, and of course it was live blogged on Twitter and exploded everywhere online and literally the next day LucasFilm was like "Dan Weiss and David Bennioff are no longer making a Star Wars movie for our company."

And then it came out they were were actually fired in like May of that year, like the week after the show ended, and LucasFilm was just waiting for the moment when the two dipshits resurfaced and open their dipshit mouths to make it official.

I'm having a little schadenfreude moment here, they deserved that. :boom: