Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Gumdrop Larry posted:

Who are the psychopaths out there who want a product that doesn't allow for limited formats.

Oops! All Fetchlands would be a bad draft format but good goe the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
what would be the best draft set with commons removed? or rather, the most improved?

scribe jones
Sep 17, 2008

One of the key problems in the analysis of this puzzling book is to be able to differentiate a real language from meaningless writing.
Avacyn Restored but you would also have to remove the uncommons

and the rares, and the mythics

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
:siren: MODERN JOINS HISTORIC WITH CORRECT BANNING :siren:
BLOOD loving MOON is gonzo!

quote:

Modern:
Blood Moon is banned
When we created Historic it was a format where we allowed the most powerful cards ever to be played under the assumption that the bonus sheets we were printing into new sets would bring the format to something near vintage and that if a card was truly unbeatable we would adjust it. Even in this format we decided that cards like Blood Moon were simply too powerful. The data since this banning has proven our thesis on the subject so following the success in Historic we have decided that Modern would also benefit from this as well. Therefore Blood Moon is banned.
No other changes, what garbage.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Well that was boring. Really loving boring.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Grief Survives, its meta % grows, and gently caress off WOTC

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Play Boosters sound good though! Except the price increase, boo

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
They really buried the lead about combining Draft and Set boosters starting next year there.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
lol gently caress off wotc

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

They really buried the lead about combining Draft and Set boosters starting next year there.

I am sure this means we will lose the more popular set booster in favor of just having draft based packs or collector. That would be the dumbest and most cash grab move.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Sickening posted:

Round 1 at RCQ and I am on full tilt.

This is an insane story. It's wild to me how many stories you have of egregious cheating from you area.

What's your list? How did the rest of the rcq go?

HootTheOwl posted:

:siren: MODERN JOINS HISTORIC WITH CORRECT BANNING :siren:
BLOOD loving MOON is gonzo!

No other changes, what garbage.

Never stop, hoot

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

quote:

Why are there only 14 playable cards?

The change to the Play Booster gave us the ability to rethink how we put together a booster. Boosters have always had 15 cards (well, most of them, anyway) because that's what Richard Garfield chose to do with Alpha, years before designing for Draft was even a thing. We experimented with different amounts of playable cards per booster and found that 14 did the best job of giving us the play experience we wanted. One of the reasons we went down in commons in Set Boosters was addressing a common complaint from players that there were too many cards that didn't get used. Part of adapting to Play Boosters included making less unusable commons in Draft, which made the fifteenth card less necessary.

This is not how Richard Garfield intended this!!!!

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

lmao at no changes for modern, especially with the rise of the beanstalk cascade decks

On the plus side, this has cured me of buying cards to try new things.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Sickening posted:

I am sure this means we will lose the more popular set booster in favor of just having draft based packs or collector. That would be the dumbest and most cash grab move.

They break it down in the article. The new packs will be

6 commons
1 common or list card
3 uncommons
1 land
1 rare/mythic
1 wild card
1 foil wild card

These packs will be priced as Set boosters and have 36 packs a box so magic boxes will be going to $140-50 depending on store.

They're also reducing the list to 40 cards, 30 common/uncommon 10 rare/mythic rare and reducing the chance to 12.5% from 25%

The list slot will also have a 1.5% to be a special guest card like they're starting with Ixalan.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Oct 16, 2023

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
The non playable cards in the booster packs is going to be really confusing for draft which is the only format I care about anymore.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

I, for one, am looking forward to getting randomly stomped in a draft by the guy who got twice as many rares/mythics as I did because he randomly got good packs and not bad packs.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Postmodern Video Games posted:

I, for one, am looking forward to getting randomly stomped in a draft by the guy who got twice as many rares/mythics as I did because he randomly got good packs and not bad packs.

It's going to depend on the set. I think they really did a good job in the last few sets (not phyrexia which was dogshit just in general) of limiting the amount of obnoxious limited rares to 1 or 2 a set.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?

mcmagic posted:

The non playable cards in the booster packs is going to be really confusing for draft which is the only format I care about anymore.
You can play everything from the pack in draft. Also, they say they will design more answers at lower rarity to mitigate bombs.

As someone who only plays limited, the change seems fine, and I am happy stores will have one less SKU

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

It also seems that the only way to get commander set cards now are collector boosters (once we enter the Play Booster era)

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

just draft more and then you're the one opening bombs :)

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

TacoNight posted:

You can play everything from the pack in draft. Also, they say they will design more answers at lower rarity to mitigate bombs.

As someone who only plays limited, the change seems fine, and I am happy stores will have one less SKU

What about the non playable slot? Is that not a real card?

It's going to raise the price of draft.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

ilmucche posted:

This is an insane story. It's wild to me how many stories you have of egregious cheating from you area.

What's your list? How did the rest of the rcq go?

Never stop, hoot

3/2 drop as the lord intended. Same list that was posted earlier. These mill lists don't vary much these days and this version has some 1 of's i like very much.

https://www.moxfield.com/decks/0BZCIm1BvkKxbxWpD8YgSQ

If I were to do it all over again, I feel like the Echoing truth was probably the card I least liked drawing.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

TacoNight posted:

I don't think you can just "put more answers in" and call it a day though. Draft will be a lot more like cube I guess? Certainly different. I can't say I've been a fan of "Didn't tap all your mana on every turn and you're overwhelmed" levels of power in limited but that ship has sailed and now will certainly be worse.

Any differences will be even larger in sealed too. In theory you could go up against the all-rare sealed pool lol.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Goa Tse-tung posted:

just draft more and then you're the one opening bombs :)

Fair enough.

mcmagic posted:

It's the token/advertising/art card slot. It will increase the price of drafting.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?

mcmagic posted:

That’s either a token or an art card or an ad.

Yes, drafts will cost more because of this, which stinks.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Sickening posted:

Round 1 at RCQ and I am on full tilt. I am playing mill and my opponent is 4 color beanstalk. Its game 2 and I am up a game. I have milled 17 cards and have hit an endurance. I have open mana and a Extirpate. I pass the turn saying "i am putting a stop in your upkeep". He untaps and waits for me, I say "good to go for my action right?"

Him: Sure
me: I target the endurance in their graveyard with Extirpate.
him: Freezes up, reads the card
me: Resolves right?
him: tanks for a long time , i think he is going through their options (they have none)
me: we good?
him: reads card again and calls a judge
Judge: Whats up?
Him: Tells the judge that he wasn't given priority in his own upkeep
me: Tells the judge what actually happened
Him: lies and tries to say that I didn't give him the necessary priority and that he was going to endurance his own yard at the beginning of his own upkeep and I didn't give him a chance.
me: Tries not to implode

I was really confident that there is no way that this judge call can go bad for me. This person lied and the best lie they could come up with is that they were going to cast an endurance in the blind. Who is going to believe this?

Fast forward, the judge rolls it back to the top of start of the upkeep and gives me opponent priority. This is the dumbest judge call I ever ever been a part of. My opponent was just rewarded for lying and not even with a good lie.

I still won the the game but I am in full tilt.

LOL that is so loving bad on that Judge. Literally the only way he would do that is if he was playing around a card he demonstrated he didn't know existed. Never play RCQs.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

I don't think you can just "put more answers in" and call it a day though. Draft will be a lot more like cube I guess? Certainly different. I can't say I've been a fan of "Didn't tap all your mana on every turn and you're overwhelmed" levels of power in limited but that ship has sailed and now will certainly be worse.

Any differences will be even larger in sealed too. In theory you could go up against the all-rare sealed pool lol.

You can play against dumb sealed pools now though. It just matters how format warping the rares are.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

It's wild they didn't even have an article alongside the B&R this time usually they will say at least something that isn't just announcing a new product.

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!

It's wild they didn't even have an article alongside the B&R this time usually they will say at least something that isn't just announcing a new product.

Yeah, at least justify not doing anything with some weasel words

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

mcmagic posted:

The non-playable slot is a token/art card/ad insert.

This seems like sealed is going to be more annoying.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
if we didn't already have Garbage Fire as a thread gang tag, "*may contain booster fun" would be a good one

I'm honestly glad they're combining draft and set boosters, they seemed like items that directly fought with each other for market share, and looks like that was right. hopefully they don't gently caress it up.

I do wish they'd just loving include arena code cards in packs, on the backs of ad cards or something idk

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Top 32 for the MTGO challenge on Sunday had 7 people on scam, 4 of which all made top 8. For reference that's more than double the next most popular deck at 3 players in the top 32

Probably the funniest outcome when combined with the B&R announcement today.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

im glad theyre making limited more expensive for no reason

wei
Jul 27, 2006
I don't expect limited as a whole to change all that much. The new rarity ratios should be close to what we had in MOM and it was fine, even good if you like high power formats.

It sucks that paper drafts will be more expensive. I've always preferred drafting online anyway, so no more FNM drafts for me I guess.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Wow, way to gently caress literally everything up wotc

The cheapest booster pack will now be $6.99, draft will be permanently hosed due to card collation and you get one fewer card per pack

AWESOME

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Captain Invictus posted:

I do wish they'd just loving include arena code cards in packs, on the backs of ad cards or something idk

Honestly pokemon tcg does this and it's one of the reasons I think I'm done with mtg. Pokemon has problems too, but none of them are quite as hostile vs me specifically as every magic change from the past couple of years has been

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I think other than the cost increase this change is good. Draft with more rares sounds fun and volatile.

My Girlfriend's Account
Aug 19, 2004

Silhouette posted:

The cheapest booster pack will now be $6.99...

Really? I thought they said individual packs are going to cost what set packs cost now, and it's boxes that will go up since they'll have 36 boosters in them.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
The higher power draft formats have been scratching the cube itch the last 3 years and has been a great change imo

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

fadam posted:

I think other than the cost increase this change is good. Draft with more rares sounds fun and volatile.

considering like half of the rares in every set now are clunky combo pieces or commander bait id rather have more solid commons/uncommons than a 2/2 for 3 that does graveyard hate and unsupported tribal buffing tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

studio mujahideen posted:

considering like half of the rares in every set now are clunky combo pieces or commander bait id rather have more solid commons/uncommons than a 2/2 for 3 that does graveyard hate and unsupported tribal buffing tbh

This isn’t how the high rare pool formats have been playing out fyi