Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

while the gun ult will burn even bosses fast it really doesn't help you if you get surrounded in a bad situation like the other two abilities can.

I don't know, a few seconds of barrage-applied Gorgon fire is pretty drat good at turning you from surrounded into not-surrounded, and you keep getting toughness back as long as you keep the trigger held down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diogenes of Sinope
Jul 10, 2008
Gun ult plus rumbler = grenade rain and everything around you knocked on its rear end or dead. Add the adhesive blessing for good boss damage. Honestly this plus a good cleaver and a few key melee tree adds makes for a really reliable damage and crowd control build, my current favorite to play for Ogryn.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
Ogryn is probably my safest pick now. I had a team wipe situation and ended up soloing half an HP bar on a Beast of Nurgle before picking them all up. Between Feel No Pain, toughness restore on heavy attacks, and heavy attack bleed I am almost indestructible so long as I can keep spamming heavies on something. My most lethal mistake has been charging into a group of crushers then not having a way out when they all get back up if it's a small area, but if I have a giga-nade I can just throw it at my feet to get out of that situation.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Pre-patch Ogyn felt pretty bad for clutching because you did so, so little damage and anti-armor damage that a crusher or two would be a brickwall that slowed you down as hordes and specials respawned, now Ogyn Smash.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Oct 16, 2023

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Just came across someone with a case of terminal zealot brain while doing quickplay auric high intensity, by the time the 3 of us cleared the first room the zealot was already a tiny outline 150m away and dead and we had both a beast of nurgle and a chaos spawn barreling down on us, team didn't want to kick them after that so just kept moving forward, reviving them, they rush forward and die 2 rooms away, repeat until end of mission.

Mahasamatman
Nov 8, 2006

Flame on the trail headed for the powder keg
Pre-patch Ogryn was built around a Can Opener Ripper or Charmed Reload Gorgonum Stubber. Picking either of those opened up the amount of threats you can handle. The shovel was also decent pre-patch for killing armor, but it suffered a lot more killing hordes with its target cap.

The shield is carried by bleed-on-heavy and taunt-on-block, but I still feel like I'm mostly wasting time by blocking. If I'm playing with my friends its fine because I trust them to kill things if I'm locked down, but I can do a lot more with a shovel or knife. Power Maul is in a similar place to shield, without the taunt gimmick. I prefer Rumbler with or without dedicated ranged talents, but you can definitely make a case of almost any other ranged option (kickback is usable but a strictly worse option.)

I love the rocks (I hate mutants so much) but I think the other two grenades are much better options if only for the damage-taken debuff node on the right side just after the grenade pick.

I think you can go any set of weapons as ogryn now.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Rumbler is a great anti-boss weapon with adhesive grenades, takes off massive chunks of health with each shot, shield blocking is rare but it feels really good to walk into a new room and see 50 pissed off gunners and to just choose to stop taking damage by blocking briefly and have them run into melee with you instead of having to run back into cover.

Ogyn is just in a really great place right now because this patch feels like they released a dozen brand new weapons for them and you aren't just stuck with a couple viable ranged/melee.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Oct 16, 2023

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

ChickenHeart posted:

We're the lackeys of an Inquisitor trying to win an increasingly-desperate planetary war against demons; with that in mind, the sky's the loving limit for who could show up to help.

-Sisters of Battle? I could totally see some Novitiates (rookies) getting commandeered for wacky suicide missions for Grendyl. Bonus points if the talent tree could allow for Repentia builds.
-Hulking experimental combat Servitors suffering from Robocop-itis? Hell yeah, let them share weapons with the Ogryn so everyone can haul around heavy bolters and repurposed construction tools.
-Kroot mercenaries? No problem, we have loads of meat just lying around and if anyone complains they can take it up with the local Shaper.
-Literal "Hellraiser Cenobite" Dark Eldar? Nobody would bat an eye. Counterpoint: Yes they loving would
-Demon-possessed lunatics on the verge of exploding into a chaos meat-portal? Inquisitors have done worse.

Personally I'm gunning for a Beastman abhuman so we can enjoy ridiculous arguments with the Ogryn.

I can say with 100% certainty that none of these will show up. Wishing for kroot or dark Eldar is like a full non-starter for the same reason space marines are a non starter. It's a story about imperial last-chancers sent on suicide missions. The inquisition is using us because it's literally all they have. Adding cenobites and kroot extremely does not fit the story the game is trying to tell.

If they add anything, if expect them to add either more guard ancillary types (see: ratlings) or more imperial rejects. Underhive gangers al a Necromunda, drummed out arbites (could be a good candidate for another shield class), that sort of poo poo.

Edit: it'd be like trying to remake The Dirty Dozen, except now sergeant Bowren is a predator alien and nobody comments or cares about that fact.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Oct 16, 2023

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

DeathSandwich posted:

Underhive gangers al a Necromunda
This is what I was going to post, so maybe we get a squat/demiurge/votann or maybe we just get a hosed up "human" of some kind, but a gang member being on the prison ship or possibly just some sort of storyline hook of the conflict has drawn them in blah blah.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I care way more about new maps and weapons than new characters to play.

Continuing my crusade to get ogryn a lascannon.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Id love to see heavy weapon options def

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
When i learned that block taunting ranged enemies made them charge you the "stand in door like a big armored door" strategy became much more viable.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Now you might say giving Grog a multimelta is an 'incredible liability to both himself and others', I think the joy it would bring him far outweighs the costs.

Update 27: Grav Cannon added

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

ZeusCannon posted:

When i learned that block taunting ranged enemies made them charge you the "stand in door like a big armored door" strategy became much more viable.

You monster!

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Oh yeah and whoever said chaos wastes type mode, that is the update I most hope for as it'll get some of my gamer homies back into DT, currently we still play VT2 simply because of that mode.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Assuming this is the start of a revival of the games flagging fortunes and they have a real long term plan to keep it alive, eventually they could just Crack it open and start giving the rejects xenotech and exotic weaponry since that can be sanctioned by the inquisition. Don't need to add a necron character, just have Hadron slap a purity seal on a synaptic disintegrator and veteran is ready to go.

I do hope we get some combination of new maps and new weapons before fatsharks next big break, would do a lot for the game to stick to a steadier update schedule.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Dandywalken posted:

You monster!

I'm blocking both their fire and yours!

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

DeathSandwich posted:

it'd be like trying to remake The Dirty Dozen, except now sergeant Bowren is a predator alien and nobody comments or cares about that fact.

Yeah that's exactly why it'd be awesome - if anything, having the Warband be at each other's throats over allowing Freebootaz/Kroot/a goddamn Mandrake onto the Mourningstar would make for some great conversations (some of Vermintide's best lines are from the characters being downright antagonistic toward each other's factions).

Also it'd open up the floodgates for wacky Xenos weapons to show up; I'm confident that Ogryns could totally operate a D-Cannon with no ill-consequences whatsoever.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Give the squad shuriken weapons that scream like those Aztec death whistles and you got a stew goin.

"LOOK, SHOUTY!! NOW I LOUD LIKE YOU! HA HA "

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
Re: ogryn lascannon / xenotech: we already go to places like the archivum in-mission; How about having the lascannon be on-site recovery. Add some stationary weapon setpieces or seizable heavy weapons as objectives- side objective to the big elevator mission to remove and bring back one of the sponson lascannons (which ogryn can opt to use during the mission as long as the battery currently in lasts)

At the same breath, I wouldnt mind missions that require a certain class as part of the team like the ogryn lugging guns or a mission that requires a psyker for activating psy-thingabob as a objective.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Valtonen posted:

Re: ogryn lascannon / xenotech: we already go to places like the archivum in-mission; How about having the lascannon be on-site recovery. Add some stationary weapon setpieces or seizable heavy weapons as objectives- side objective to the big elevator mission to remove and bring back one of the sponson lascannons (which ogryn can opt to use during the mission as long as the battery currently in lasts)

At the same breath, I wouldnt mind missions that require a certain class as part of the team like the ogryn lugging guns or a mission that requires a psyker for activating psy-thingabob as a objective.

Now we're getting into fundamentally changing rhe game but special missions that unlock new gear like the mini campaigns in deep rock would have been preferable to the random store to me.

Like if getting the bolter was a mission zealots and veterans did in a rejigged throneside map to retrieve one from the archive, with new dialog from the talking heads hyping it up, that would have been pretty cool and thematically neat even if it was just a one time deal.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Oct 16, 2023

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Everyone's all "suffer no xeno to live" this and "I'll die before I engage a nonhuman in conversation" that until the Kroot Stalker's hound has puppies and woooah suddenly the entire ship's tripping over themselves to declare that "unorthodox strategies are needed to defeat the Eternal Foe we can overlook this heresy for now please let me see the beaky baby"

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Exodee posted:

It's probably the worst of the three options because of the (initially) confusing SFX, especially if there's a whole bunch of bombers nearby while you're trying to save a teammate. Mostly I only pick it if I'm short on talent points and am going for the middle aura (which I often do to be fair because I'm addicted to the reload perk + revolver :v:)

It's still pretty decent though as long as you throw it in advance; it basically kills everything except Crushers fairly quickly if you actually fight in the flames yourself. It's just lacking the utility value that stun grenades or even the throwing daggers have.

Thanks for the insight, I may redouble my zeal yet.

I like to play like I am a wall between my team and danger and our group has scraped up many main character zealots when they don't immediately quit out, but last night we teamed with a flamer/fire grenade zealot who made it a nice time managing big hordes and supporting us with chants. I learned that friendly flames are Cooler Ranch compared to heretical Nacho Cheesier fire.

Someone mentioned there not being variety in the Zealot tree so I figured that guy is worth mentioning. He had the white DLC robes and skull mask and we thought he looked like a dental hygenist at first but then he worked this all-fire support build and we came to appreciate him quickly.

edgar_
Sep 4, 2003

kampen mot gud og hvite krist er i gang
Grimey Drawer

Sharkopath posted:

Like if getting the bolter was a mission zealots and veterans did in a rejigged throneside map to retrieve one from the archive, with new dialog from the talking heads hyping it up, that would have been pretty cool and thematically neat even if it was just a one time deal.

now i just want david byrne to talk to me about warhammer 40k

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I mean, consider the daemonhosts: Scary, insanely dangerous, absolutely and utterly heretical. And yet there are more than a few radical Malleus inquisitors who will just go and make one of their own to weaponize.

Compared to that, allowing in some slightly suspect weapons is peanuts. Particularly if you're throwing them at disposable rejects who probably won't be living out the month anyway. And indeed, even captured xenos or not-quite-sanctioned mutants could be on the table.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Sharkopath posted:

I care way more about new maps and weapons than new characters to play.

Continuing my crusade to get ogryn a lascannon.

Nah, give em a las talon; they're the double barrel sawn off version of a las cannon

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

https://i.imgur.com/2Qk31i8.mp4

Watch out for physics

MuffinsAndPie
May 20, 2015

Owl Inspector posted:

Watch out for physics

lmao

MuffinsAndPie fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Oct 16, 2023

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

ChickenHeart posted:

Yeah that's exactly why it'd be awesome - if anything, having the Warband be at each other's throats over allowing Freebootaz/Kroot/a goddamn Mandrake onto the Mourningstar would make for some great conversations (some of Vermintide's best lines are from the characters being downright antagonistic toward each other's factions).

Also it'd open up the floodgates for wacky Xenos weapons to show up; I'm confident that Ogryns could totally operate a D-Cannon with no ill-consequences whatsoever.

Having an Ork in this game engaging in conversations with the Ogryn while the tech priest increasingly loses their sanity would make this my goty.
TP: “How in the Omnissiah’s name did you get the machine spirit to calm down and allow you to reboot?”
Ork: “I put da green wire with da red wire and pressed da big red button.”
Ogryn: “Den I bonked it with me noggin.”
Ork: “then da big fella gave it a eadbuttin.”
Ogryn: “we are proppa smart now!”
This also could be used for an IT support call from Liverpool.

Inasmuch as I’d love to hear Shuriken Catapults in the game, definitely Ratling and Combat Servitor are the most likely. I’d really like to see something cool but would feel more fitting with someone from the Imperium. Glad they are resisting the urge to immediately put in Space Marines. If they ever put them in I definitely don’t want a bunch of level 5s taking even one out.

Ogryn talk: took top left of tree for extra shrapnel and charge but cutting to middle to get push taunt and more hardiness. Seems to be working ok. I’d take the mass taunt but it’s far less fun than charging like Kruber.

Unrelated questions: 1) what is the psyker skill that is causing white flames? I know the main grenade nukes are head popping, force lightning and the shards but lately keep seeing psykers use this white flame. Thinking about levelling mine past 10.
2) how is the flamethrower? Zealot doesn’t thrill me but I really want to use flamethrowers? Bardin’s flamethrower was fun but seldom used as it was a group killer champion diff and beyond. I guess I like fire.

DogsInSpace! fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Oct 16, 2023

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

DogsInSpace! posted:

Having an Ork in this game engaging in conversations with the Ogryn while the tech priest increasingly loses their sanity would make this my goty.
TP: “How in the Omnissiah’s name did you get the machine spirit to calm down and allow you to reboot?”
Ork: “I put da green wire with da red wire and pressed da big red button.”
Ogryn: “Den I bonked it with me noggin.”
Ork: “then da big fella gave it a eadbuttin.”
Ogryn: “we are proppa smart now!”
This also could be used for an IT support call from Liverpool.

Inasmuch as I’d love to hear Shuriken Catapults in the game, definitely Ratling and Combat Servitor are the most likely. I’d really like to see something cool but would feel more fitting with someone from the Imperium. Glad they are resisting the urge to immediately put in Space Marines. If they ever put them in I definitely don’t want a bunch of level 5s taking even one out.

Ogryn talk: took top left of tree for extra shrapnel and charge but cutting to middle to get push taunt and more hardiness. Seems to be working ok. I’d take the mass taunt but it’s far less fun than charging like Kruber.

Unrelated questions: 1) what is the psyker skill that is causing white flames? I know the main grenade nukes are head popping, force lightning and the shards but lately keep seeing psykers use this white flame. Thinking about levelling mine past 10.
2) how is the flamethrower? Zealot doesn’t thrill me but I really want to use flamethrowers? Bardin’s flamethrower was fun but seldom used as it was a group killer champion diff and beyond. I guess I like fire.

White flame is called soulfire. The shout cooldown can do it, and there is also a trait that causes elite kills to soulfire everything around them, and for kills in general to transfer their soulfire to others, on top of the flame staff and certain psyker specific traits to fire on crit.

IIRC it's explicitly not as strong as regular fire because it's not tied to ammo, but lasts way longer.

Psyker flame staff is pretty good since it's functionally infinite ammo and you don't necessarily give up all ranged presence like you do the zealot flamer, since you still have access to assail and brain burst for dealing with ranged threats. In hordes they can pretty single handedly hold a corridor on their own with it.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

DogsInSpace! posted:

Psykers get a flamethrower staff called Purgatus, that's probably what you're seeing. There are also some talents related to Soulblaze (the Psyker warp based equivalent of the Burn dot) which don't require having the Purgatus staff.

Tbh the Flamethrower used to be extremely busted but after some (deserved) nerfs it's still very usable. Does the horde management job, but is mediocre at flak and Carapace. Maulers and Crushers give 0 shits about being on fire and won't get staggered either. You also end up with a distinct lack of ranged options for dealing with anything beyond 18m so it has a distinct downside too.

Still good though.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

edgar_ posted:

now i just want david byrne to talk to me about warhammer 40k

How about david atonborough? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bz0wbfoyt48

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Made the crushiest ogryn I could and its very fun, when you charge a heavy attack you get like 6 different buff pop ups on your screen. Recommended with the Brunt's Special.

I did say I thought the right/gun path ogryn capstone could use some extra strength but I do think its the one capstone where you want every node in it for ogryn, the others your choices are often way more situational. For middle/tank path nodes like Pained Outburst seem pretty hard to trigger unless everything is about to go real bad, and for this melee build you have enough regen from melee attacks and are mainly using heavy attacks so the other two nodes in this capstone don't seem needed to me.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Oct 16, 2023

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
So, I think Chaos spawn can fall to their death if you taunt them mid-jump, I can't think of another explaination.
https://imgur.com/hg6XPn5 excuse the hasty bad gif quality.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Oct 16, 2023

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Can somebody sell me on power hammers? I want to like them because the style is just great, but it always feels like it's just taking forever to kill stuff. Like yeah the stagger and cleave are great, but whenever I'm knocking a horde around it always feels like I could just be using an eviscerator and be killing more dudes per swing while still having decent disruption. Against single targets it also feels like a revved chainweapon is similarly effective to a charged bonk unless you really need that knockdown.

Are there some key blessings that really make them sing? One time I've seen a guy somehow knock off half the health of a daemonhost with one charged strike, no idea how that worked out. Also, is a case for using the Ironhelm over the Crucis? The latter seems to have a much better attack pattern.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

Perestroika posted:

Can somebody sell me on power hammers? I want to like them because the style is just great, but it always feels like it's just taking forever to kill stuff. Like yeah the stagger and cleave are great, but whenever I'm knocking a horde around it always feels like I could just be using an eviscerator and be killing more dudes per swing while still having decent disruption. Against single targets it also feels like a revved chainweapon is similarly effective to a charged bonk unless you really need that knockdown.

Are there some key blessings that really make them sing? One time I've seen a guy somehow knock off half the health of a daemonhost with one charged strike, no idea how that worked out. Also, is a case for using the Ironhelm over the Crucis? The latter seems to have a much better attack pattern.
You definitely need the Thrust blessing and either Headtaker or Slaughterer to make thunderhammers shine. With those blessings and the recent buffs I think they're fairly competitive as far as horde killing goes, like yeah they won't match heavy swords or eviscerators but they can do the job well enough while also having relatively quick elite deletion (and of course the potential to one-shot bosses with the right build)

One big advantage the thunderhammer special has over a chain weapon's is that you recover very quickly after hitting an enemy, after which you can immediately start blocking/pushing or dodging away. With the Crucis you do have to be careful not to hit a stray zombie with it though, but the Ironhelm just cleaves right through until it hits a sufficiently armored enemy. Speaking of which, that's probably the main advantage of the Ironhelm over the Crucis; it has a much easier time picking off elites in mixed hordes, but has a harder to use moveset and deals less damage, although that's mostly only noticeable against Plague Ogryns since they still hit like a truck.

As far as builds go, for the most part you just want the one node at the top that gives you a flat damage bonus against infested/unyielding enemies. I'd also recommend getting Sustained Assault at the bottom, which has an additional +melee damage node above it.
If you really want to one-shot literally everything then you could go with a backstab build with the stealth ability, but personally I prefer to frontline as a Zealot and use the classic charge ability instead, which while not quite as destructive still syngergizes very well with charged hammerstrikes.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Perestroika posted:

Charged bonk resolves faster than a revved chain weapon, and has been buffed to recover faster as well. Thrust is the big one that lets you chunk monstrosities; taking anything that buffs damage to Unyielding whether perk or talent will also improve your ability to flatten the biggest targets.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

So there's a lot of talk about Brunt but the fella at the Armory is a polite Servitor unit. Where is Brunt? Is he the guy on the box art who rescues you from the prison ship? Where can I meet him?

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
Finally got sticky nade for my Rumbler and it seems straight up busted. Does it stunlock every boss or just Plague Ogryns?

https://i.imgur.com/vnQhbBm.mp4

Also, I think the shovel might be my favorite overall weapon. It feels like an ogryn sized Devil's Claw. Easy side swipes alternating heavy/light for easy horde cleaving. I assume my ignore hit mass on weakpoint kill blessing is helping there, just line up the swing at poxwalker head level and get to work. The shovel has a fairly fast attack speed and decent reach, letting me stack heavy attack bleed with ease. It still hits hard enough to knock crushers around and it gives you a large stamina bar which is great for blocking when I am picking up team mates or starting your melee combo with a shove. I have a toughness on chained attack blessing too but I think it might be overkill with how much toughness Ogryns can get from heavy attack pasives, so I'll probably throw a high level brittleness blessing on there when it shows up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

toasterwarrior posted:

gonna play zealot this week but i reiterate my criticism of its skill tree not being as diverse as vet or ogryn

like, it's p funny that the skill tree for the Lovable Big Dumbass lets you play more styles than the zealot, but also that's good social commentary probably

I think the vet tree is kinda bland for similar reasons, what are your build options really?

Zealot has the following gimmicks:
* Crit/cooldown gimmick
* High damage sing target gimmick
* Clutch/High Durability gimmick
* Always be Flaming gimmick

I'm sure there are others. You're always going to be melee focused and somewhat durable but you can build as a DPS, tank, agility fighter, and so on, and they all feel pretty different imho.