Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe

Psycho Society posted:

this is profane. what in tarnation

there's a chance that his experiment was unsuccessful? he admits in the video he's not great with a microscope, so maybe he misinterpreted what he saw when he examined the scab he extracted from the puck.

idk to me it looked like he just mixed in some blood and scabs to a normal brown rice tek. likely that's what the cordyceps fed on more than the human bits. it didn't look like the healthiest cordycep grow either.

fingers crossed he stops here, it was pretty gross listening to him talk about how much it sucked using his own blood and wants to get animal blood next time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Article casually dissuading people from getting a booster.

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2023/10/16/should-you-get-a-covid-booster-here-are-7-things-to-think-about/71155514007/ posted:

Should you get a COVID booster? Here are 7 things to consider.

An updated COVID-19 vaccine has been available since last month and more than 7 million Americans have gotten boosted since then.

But many people are still on the fence about whether and when to get a shot.

Experts say when and whether to get a COVID booster should depend on your health status, risk tolerance, timing of last infection and other personal factors.
(..)
Are you at higher risk for severe infection?
(..)
Do you have a major life event coming up?
(..)
But current vaccines will only protect against all infections for about three months, so if that wedding or big European vacation is more than three or four months away, it's a better idea to put off your booster a bit longer, Mina said.
(..)
Have you recently gotten the virus?
If you had a case of COVID-19 in late summer or early fall, you'll have protection against another infection for about three to four months, studies suggest.
(..)
Is COVID-19 likely to get bad again?
This is a big unanswerable question. For the last three years, the holiday season has triggered a spike in cases that peaked each year in January.

But it's unclear whether that pattern will repeat this year.
(..)
What if I'm young and healthy? Do I really need another booster?
The short answer is: probably not.
(..)

:hmmrona:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Pingui posted:

Impressive Friday afternoon news dump; I hope everyone enjoyed the tools while they had them.

https://www.pfizer.com/news/press-release/press-release-detail/pfizer-amends-us-government-paxlovid-supply-agreement-and posted:

[…]
At the end of 2023, Pfizer will accept a non-cash return of any remaining Emergency Use Authorized (EUA)-labeled U.S. government inventory, estimated to be 7.9 million treatment courses, and in the fourth quarter, will reverse the associated revenues currently estimated to be approximately $4.2 billion.
[…]

Still think hoarding is harmless???

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Platystemon posted:

Still think hoarding is harmless???

That reminds me, I wanted to repost that post for the week crew, as it is one of the most important developments on the tool front. So here goes.

Pingui posted:

Impressive Friday afternoon news dump; I hope everyone enjoyed the tools while they had them.

https://www.pfizer.com/news/press-release/press-release-detail/pfizer-amends-us-government-paxlovid-supply-agreement-and posted:

Pfizer Amends U.S. Government Paxlovid Supply Agreement and Updates Full-Year 2023 Guidance

Albert Bourla announces an important agreement with the U.S. government that will make it easier for patients to access Pfizer’s oral antiviral treatment for COVID-19. This will help ensure that the United States will have a robust stockpile for future use and helps provide more clarity on the commercial market for COVID related products. This is the next logical step in Pfizer’s unrelenting effort to help ensure every eligible patient continues to have access to this potentially life-saving medicine.
(..)
Paxlovid Amended Agreement with U.S. Government Facilitates Commercialization
At the end of 2023, Pfizer will accept a non-cash return of any remaining Emergency Use Authorized (EUA)-labeled U.S. government inventory, estimated to be 7.9 million treatment courses, and in the fourth quarter, will reverse the associated revenues currently estimated to be approximately $4.2 billion.

The commercial transition will begin in November 2023, as the U.S. government begins to discontinue the distribution of EUA-labeled Paxlovid. Pfizer will ensure commercial readiness by providing NDA-labeled commercial supply to all channels by the end of 2023, however, EUA-labeled Paxlovid will remain available free-of-charge to all eligible patients until the end of the year, and therefore Pfizer expects only minimal uptake of NDA-labeled commercial product before January 1, 2024.

Any remaining EUA-labeled treatment courses previously purchased by the U.S. government will be converted to a volume-based credit. This credit will support continued access to Paxlovid through a patient assistance program (PAP) operated by Pfizer on behalf of the U.S. government. As part of the PAP, all federally insured patients (Medicare and Medicaid) and the uninsured will receive Paxlovid, free of charge, through 2024. Beginning in 2024, Pfizer will sell Paxlovid to privately insured patients (commercial) with prices to be negotiated with payers and offer a copay program through 2028. The PAP will continue to provide access to Paxlovid to eligible uninsured and underinsured patients through that same period.

Additionally, Pfizer will manage and supply 1.0 million treatment course U.S. Strategic National Stockpile (SNS) to enable future pandemic preparedness and refresh stock prior to expiry through 2028.
(..)

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Quite enjoyed the righteous fury (and graphic) in this :britain: opinion piece (in full, as it is quite short. I scrapped highlights as I don't think anyone is served with an entire article in bold :P ):

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/oct/16/covid-deaths-rise-scrap-mask-wearing-hospitals posted:

Covid deaths are on the rise again, so what happens? Mask-wearing in hospitals is scrapped
The only masking that’s going on is that of the government’s continued failure to get to grips with the virus

For some people, going to hospital may now be more dangerous than staying at home untreated. Many clinically vulnerable people fear, sometimes with good reason, that a visit to hospital or the doctors’ surgery could be the end of them. Of course, there have always been dangers where sick people gather. But, until now, health services have sought to minimise them. Astonishingly, this is often no longer the case.

Across the UK, over the past two years, the NHS has been standing down even the most basic precautions against Covid-19. For example, staff in many surgeries and hospitals are no longer required to wear face masks in most clinical settings. Reassuring posters have appeared even in cancer wards, where patients might be severely immunocompromised. A notice, photographed and posted on social media last week, tells people that while they are “no longer required to wear a mask in this area”, they should use hand sanitiser “to protect our vulnerable patients, visitors and our staff”. Sanitising is good practice. But Covid-19 is an airborne virus, which spreads further and faster by exhalation than by touch.

The story this policy tells, which the government would have us believe, is that Covid-19 is all but over. It’s not true. Despite a collapse in testing, which means the figures will be grossly understated, the number of death certificates giving Covid-19 as a cause has been climbing steadily as autumn approaches, rising from 80 per week in early August to 306 in late September. Who knows what the real number may be?

Forget it, be happy, keep shopping: if you don’t live and work as though the virus has vanished, you’re holding the country back. There could scarcely be a more powerful symbol of the all-clear than doctors and nurses greeting their patients without masks.

When we forget the virus, we forget the clinically vulnerable people – an estimated 2.2 million in the UK – trapped by our insouciance. Some can scarcely leave their homes, as the danger to them of infection is so great. They are the shadow that falls across the sunny story the government tells, a shadow that must be ignored and denied.

Clinical staff, long after the clapping died away, have continued to carry the weight of this disease. A recent British Medical Association (BMA) survey of hundreds of doctors with long Covid revealed its ruinous impact on their lives. From junior doctors to consultants, they’ve been abandoned by the system, unable to get appointments or referrals, left alone to face the loss of their careers and almost every other aspect of their lives.

Long Covid is so debilitating that a study in the British Medical Journal (BMJ) this year found many who suffer it reported a lower quality of life than people with stage 4 lung cancer. Another study found that typical symptoms of long Covid “had an impact on health as severe as the long-term effects of traumatic brain injury”. Some doctors, the BMA survey found, are unable to work, to care for their children, cook, perform basic arithmetic, even brush their hair. Some are now facing the loss of their homes, bankruptcy and destitution. Though most caught the virus in the line of duty, they’ve been bright-sided, sacrificed to the officially sanctioned delusion that it’s over, and we should all get on with our lives. They must wish they could.

Masks work, especially if they’re N95 respirators or equivalent. They work best when everyone uses them, and are kept on throughout the time we spend in an enclosed space. This is because the aerosols that carry the virus can keep circulating in a room, long after they’ve been exhaled.

But unmasking isn’t the end of it. Testing for Covid-19 in hospitals has also been largely curtailed. As the Observer revealed, clinical staff in some places are being discouraged from testing themselves. If they want a test, they must buy it. Why would hospitals want less information about infection?

Now we discover that the government is stockpiling vaccines rather than deploying them. It’s senseless for two reasons. First, because it should be maximising protection before the full autumn surge begins; second, because by the time they’re used, new mutations could render them worthless.

Bad enough? Oh no. Current government guidance advises staff who think they’re infected to stay at home, but only if they “have a high temperature or do not feel well enough to go to work”. Even then, they’re not required to take a test. If they feel well enough to work, it seems, they’re welcome to spread it around.

The same advice has been issued by the government to schools: “If your child has mild symptoms such as a runny nose, sore throat or mild cough, and they feel well enough, they can go to school or childcare.” Were you to devise a formula for spreading the disease as far and wide as possible, you could scarcely do better than this.

We know how to minimise infection: ventilation, air filtration and germicidal ultraviolet light in indoor public spaces; N95 masks and Covid tests provided free to those who want them; mask mandates in clinical settings; vaccines that are widely available and up to date; proper support for workers and for the parents of children who test positive, so they can stay at home without losing their income.

There’s plenty of masking going on, but not the kind that prevents infection. The government is masking its failure to get to grips with this virus. It’s masking the fact that, thanks to three years of such failures, Covid-19 is now a constantly evolving endemic infection likely to kill or disable many thousands every winter. It’s masking the ableism its rhetoric has encouraged: the othering and blaming of those who contract the disease, driven by the widespread but wholly mistaken belief that fit and healthy people don’t catch it. It’s masking the cruelty of a system that shuts down the lives of clinically vulnerable people.

These facts – and these people – are treated as social embarrassments, locked in the government’s moral attic like a relative with a mental illness in Victorian England. They’re the country’s family secret. That coughing noise upstairs? Nothing that need concern you.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

rite aid filing for bankruptcy lmao. thanks for buying up the bartells!

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

had to cancel my novavax appt today because I’m sick with what is so far negative on lucira.

can’t rebook a moth shot anywhere near me for later and I guess the protocol for CVS is just calling individual pharmacies until you get a hit? lol.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

quote:

But current vaccines will only protect against all infections for about three months, so if that wedding or big European vacation is more than three or four months away, it's a better idea to put off your booster a bit longer, Mina said.

maybe just maybe if protection only lasts 3 months we should be getting boosted more often? nope time your boosters so it's active while you go to weddings

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Platystemon posted:

COVID is the world’s greatest infectious disease. Credible estimates of its ongoing death toll have it competing with tuberculosis, malaria, and AIDS—combined.

Ya hear that, cancer, Mr. Emperor of All Maladies? Hear those footsteps?

Oh lawd he comin'

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
Moth juice still treating me right, rip to our vomiting comrade. Good luck to everyone trying to chase it down; the Costco pharmacist said they get them in frequently.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Pingui posted:

Article casually dissuading people from getting a booster.

:hmmrona:

lol fifty-somethings with diabetes will self-attest as being 'young and healthy"

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Piggy Smalls posted:

so is Covid not a thing anymore? as in it’s nothing to be worried about? I have to admit that I’m a bit naive when it comes to Covid since I thought it was still deadly to some extent. with Covid not being free anymore I’m figuring that maybe it’s no different now than the flu or some other mundane illness. is this true?

edit: what loving poor is going to pay 130 for a vaccine or go through the trouble of applying for it to be free?

Not only is it still deadly, you've got a much greater chance of an infection leading to serious long-term illness, even if you're vaccinated. What you're seeing is how little the system cares about the welfare of the serfs

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

mawarannahr posted:

:lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_asNhzXq72w

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Pingui posted:

Here's hoping pill mills telehealth continues prescribing it. I'm resigned to paying out the rear end for it, but it won't do me much good if I have to wait a week to get a telehealth appointment with my doomer doc.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

UGH

Pingui posted:

Quite enjoyed the righteous fury (and graphic) in this :britain: opinion piece (in full, as it is quite short. I scrapped highlights as I don't think anyone is served with an entire article in bold :P ):

Thanks for sharing this, it's nice to see something sane being published over there.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

mawarannahr posted:

Sitting in a rite aid rn and they have novavax in stock, so my spouse is getting juiced up at 10 when they start accepting walk-ins.

I feel fine still, lol. Maybe even have less pain in my previously vax injured connective tissues.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Strep Vote posted:

Sitting in a rite aid rn and they have novavax in stock, so my spouse is getting juiced up at 10 when they start accepting walk-ins.

I feel fine still, lol. Maybe even have less pain in my previously vax injured connective tissues.

Hope you got the real deal

quote:

I used to work at Rite-Aid and it was poo poo. When that merger was in the works, the higher-ups stopped ordering regular supply refills for all the basic things like printer paper and pill bottles so we had a few fun months there trying to stretch whatever supplies we could scrounge while they cut hours so newly-arriving prescriptions piled up and some level of district manager eventually had to come in in-person to help fill scripts because we were eight hours behind. I bailed shortly after.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
Lol

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

This country will never institute any positive public health measures again for the rest of my life and yours

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
actually a lot of people are going to be positive

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

mawarannahr posted:

Hope you got the real deal

I told him to check the vial and I got mine at Costco lol

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Sounds to me like I'm doing the right thing not letting my dogs go to the park when there are other dogs around.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
Remember when everybody got pandemic puppies that never got socialized because LOCKDOWNS and now whenever I walk my dog every other person with a dog will pick up their dog and walk into the forest because if it ever perceives another dog it will flip the gently caress out

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
thats my dog, but its because my partner took her to the dog park too many times and she got in fights on the reg. sorry

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
she's really a little angel/gremlin mode little muppet and if anyone touches a hair on her head i will go clint eastwood from unforgiven i am not kidding

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Psycho Society posted:

thats my dog, but its because my partner took her to the dog park too many times and she got in fights on the reg. sorry

same, plus mine's half LGD. She's mellowing out in her old age tho

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Dog Case posted:

Remember when everybody got pandemic puppies that never got socialized because LOCKDOWNS and now whenever I walk my dog every other person with a dog will pick up their dog and walk into the forest because if it ever perceives another dog it will flip the gently caress out

I'm so goddamn tired of having to presume every leashed dog is a lunge away from ripping my clothes off my body and leaving me a sexy mess on the streets.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
It's not a big deal if a dog doesn't like other dogs in general or specific dogs. It's normal, and those dogs deserve to live their best lives in loving homes too.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
my kid has been in school for almost 2 months now and we all have the worst cold ever. its not covid

we are still covid free after 4 years

its not covid

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

You have RSV (rotating seasonal virus).

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
its not rsv either

she got swabbed for covid rsv and influenza, all negative

literally a loving horrible cold thats put us all at home for over week

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

RBC posted:

my kid has been in school for almost 2 months now and we all have the worst cold ever. its not covid

we are still covid free after 4 years

its not covid

narrator: it was covid

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.

Strep Vote posted:

From a fellow lady goon hearing that it gave you minimal side-effects is really encouraging to hear. Thanks for keeping us updated. I'll hopefully be getting my moth juice on Thursday and hopefully it doesn't matter that I have Kaiser insurance! There is no active bridge program within 100 miles of here when I last checked.

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.

RBC posted:

its not rsv either

hMPV? They don't have easy (cheap?) tests for it like they do for RSV/Flu/COVID https://dph.illinois.gov/topics-services/diseases-and-conditions/diseases-a-z-list/human-metapneumovirus.html

Or could be one of the many other lovely things that have circulated out there pre-2020 that we don't regularly test for.

(not a doctor!)

Zantie has issued a correction as of 19:43 on Oct 16, 2023

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

positive benefit if long term covid: I never want to eat anymore :)

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Dog Case posted:

yes

my personal space bubble is 30 yards

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Real- "Reserved sign outside the Spaghetti Factory banquet room" energy.

Strom Thermos
Sep 18, 2004

just got my moth juice at Costco (I love you) thank you thread

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Zantie posted:

From a fellow lady goon hearing that it gave you minimal side-effects is really encouraging to hear. Thanks for keeping us updated. I'll hopefully be getting my moth juice on Thursday and hopefully it doesn't matter that I have Kaiser insurance! There is no active bridge program within 100 miles of here when I last checked.

Crossing my fingers for you and any other sensitive goons that this one won't screw you up. It's been 48 hours and I feel totally fine, no headaches, no cramps, no explosive farts, no arthritis...I slept a bunch the day after, but I needed that sleep. Would moth again no questions asked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

RBC posted:

its not rsv either

When did you test? I ask because if you tested early, you may have gotten a false negative.

At-home COVID-19 tests most accurate on day 4 of symptoms, study suggests retesting
https://abcnews.go.com/Health/wait-days-taking-home-covid-test-youre-sick/story?id=103670646

When my family got COVID last month, we blew through about 10 tests across our family members before we finally got positive results, which was about four to six days after symptoms started for each of us. And by then it was already too late to start Paxlovid for my wife

Our family participates in a research study that gives us free weekly PCR tests, and those didn't pick up our COVID infections either. :shrug: