Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
A warning that you were posting spoilers from the manga might've been nice :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
My bad. You did literally post a page from manga, so I figured you are up to date, sorry.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Lt. Lizard posted:

My bad. You did literally post a page from manga, so I figured you are up to date, sorry.

As opposed to literally anyone else in the thread also reading?

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
...which is why everything was under spoiler tags?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Huh, I'm in Love with the Villainess episode 3 went in a direction I really wasn't expecting. The main character, the villainess and two other characters sat down and had a frank and honest discussion about the protag being gay and her feelings for the villainess and whether she expects her to reciprocate at all (nope), and they all calmly and politely accepted it and then continued on as before. I really expected them to dance around for as long as possible for comedic/dramatic effect, I'm actually impressed.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

haypliss posted:

This guy does seem to be complaining? about the withdrawal of ninja from overseas to sit around in Japan. But I'll be honest, the continued time fuckery in the episodes kind of has me checking out on top of stalling any of these reveals from happening/plotlines from concluding.

Yeah I still like it, but the way they chose to present it is real annoying.

On the plus side I checked out Kroi after really getting into the OP song and they kick rear end.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Endorph posted:

its better than hypnosis mic tbh

Hypmic is funnier

My fellow chicks and dicks from Yokohama

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Have to say that I've been finding paralive mostly kinda middling by how clunky the exposition is.

Hello my twin brother nayuta as I lie beside you on the floor before we go to sleep in our barebones apartment let me tell you about our motivations and need for money to escape the living circumstances you and I can see around us

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Huh, I'm in Love with the Villainess episode 3 went in a direction I really wasn't expecting. The main character, the villainess and two other characters sat down and had a frank and honest discussion about the protag being gay and her feelings for the villainess and whether she expects her to reciprocate at all (nope), and they all calmly and politely accepted it and then continued on as before. I really expected them to dance around for as long as possible for comedic/dramatic effect, I'm actually impressed.

Yeah, this show is unexpectedly good. It's still mostly a trashy isekai, but the vibes and intent behind it feel very positive and self-aware. Definitely enjoying it so far.

HOW COULD YOU
Jun 1, 2006

The man in black fled across Middle Tennessee, and Pierre followed.
Don’t sleep on Migi and Dali. Same author as Sakamoto Desu Ga and just as batshit insane. If you like people solving mundane life situations with outlandishly complex schemes delivered like it’s a spy movie, check it out.

Also very much enjoying Undead Unluck. It has some lovely “haha sexual harassment” stuff in the first episode but episode 2 made it clear that’s not going to be the running theme and introduced the power system in the world which seems very neat.

Edit:

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

Yeah, this show is unexpectedly good. It's still mostly a trashy isekai, but the vibes and intent behind it feel very positive and self-aware. Definitely enjoying it so far.

Happy to report it’s not a fluke. The manga is consistently more thoughtful than you’d expect from how generic it sounds. We love a smartly written self aware genre piece

HOW COULD YOU fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Oct 16, 2023

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Undead Unluck is already a pretty good adaptation, and it just gets better from here. If by some chance you're not feeling it yet, Chapter 9 of the manga, which I assume they'll probably get to in episode 4 or 5, changes basically everything, to the point I could feel my mind expanding in real-time.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

wow yeah, that was a total tonal change (intermission?) from the previous episodes.
i'm super impressed

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

So I watched the vexations of the shut in vampire etc and I enjoyed it but I felt it was a bit too horny for my tastes. I might keep watching because I thought it was funny.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

"I'm in love with the villainess" is A show about good takes about LGBTQ and politics that spends it's downtime on isekai antics, instead of a show about isekai antics that spends it's time dancing around LGBTQ and politics.

Supremezero fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Oct 17, 2023

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
I'm in love with the villainess's dub is very strong.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I'm in love with the villainess's dub is very strong.

That's good to hear, looked up the cast just now and I am familiar with exactly zero of these names. That sounds backhanded but I think it's legitimately cool. I'll check it out tomorrow.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Rei's VA especially is great. She's playing her like an absolute dweeb. Totally fits and also has a very 90's dub charm to it. She could be arguing with other girls in Tenchi with this performance

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Who did the dub? Sentai?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It's on Crunchyroll, so nah

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I'm in Love with the Villainess has a great story, but this anime rendition certainly has below average framing and animation.

As an example:

Where Claire is apparently pitched over at a ~35 degree angle as she approaches the prince, or he's on extremely steep hill.

It also feels like they are animating on a lower keyframe budget too.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

HOW COULD YOU posted:

Also very much enjoying Undead Unluck. It has some lovely “haha sexual harassment” stuff in the first episode but episode 2 made it clear that’s not going to be the running theme and introduced the power system in the world which seems very neat.

It also remains very consistent about Negator powers. There are exactly four types of Negators and no exceptions have been shown.

1. Compulsory activation self-targeting types.
2. Voluntary activation self-targeting types.
3. Compulsory activation external-targeting types.
4. Voluntary activation external-targeting types.

Andy is a 1, Fuuko a 3, and Void is a 4.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Oct 17, 2023

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nitrousoxide posted:

I'm in Love with the Villainess has a great story, but this anime rendition certainly has below average framing and animation.

As an example:

Where Claire is apparently pitched over at a ~35 degree angle as she approaches the prince, or he's on extremely steep hill.

its a miracle this is getting adapted at all honestly, and it at least looks pleasant enough mostly of the time.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Nitrousoxide posted:

As an example:

Also let us not speak about their knowledge of chess...

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Otoh the Seiyuu cast is knocking it out of the park. Rae's seiyuu really sold that deep down she didn't really believe her internal monolog

Though visually it's pretty sub par to okay. I'm a bit shocked it so low budget and Shut in Vampire got a more lavish production though I suppose it being trashier and more fan service probably helps it

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

At least I've not seen anything "So I'm a Spider, So what" level of bad yet.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Yeah I favor isn't unwatchable bad, in many ways it reminds me of Blue Reflection Ray and its awkward visuals

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I'm not really vibing with Shy so far, the protagonist has been pretty dull and uninteresting. It sure doesn't help that by episode 3 they haven't explained how she got her powers at all (or even fully explained what her powers are, apart from showing that she can fly somewhat and has a little super strength) and the show started 3 months into her superheroing adventures when she's still incredibly hesitant about the entire deal and having a miserable time and is about to quit because she thinks she's doing an awful job and feels that everyone is disappointed in her and the entire thing is making her depressed. They drop hints that she's been involved in lots of rescues but they only show two incidents where she was awkward and clumsy.

The end of episode 3 is setting up a situation where she'll be forced to confront her self doubt but I'm not invested in the character at all so :shrug:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the part of shy i remember is less shy herself and more shy hanging out with a bunch of weird russian and finnish women

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Yeah, pacing of Shy is all out of whack and it'll fall any three episodes test because who the gently caress cliffhangers there.

Needed some compression, skipping, or rearranging. I'll give it through the cosplay heroing that I originally read through at least.

Throw the mall stuff in later when you need padding.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
my favorite scene of the manga out of what i read was just her and a finnish girl walking up a mountain together

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Nitrousoxide posted:

yeah the animation is extremely bad, sadly. potions also looks awful.
they're bad enough that they're distracting and killing the suspension of disbelief

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

and the show started 3 months into her superheroing adventures when she's still incredibly hesitant about the entire deal and having a miserable time and is about to quit because she thinks she's doing an awful job and feels that everyone is disappointed in her and the entire thing is making her depressed. They drop hints that she's been involved in lots of rescues but they only show two incidents where she was awkward and clumsy.

wow you are blowing that way out of proportion

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Ranzear posted:

Yeah, pacing of Shy is all out of whack and it'll fall any three episodes test because who the gently caress cliffhangers there.

Needed some compression, skipping, or rearranging. I'll give it through the cosplay heroing that I originally read through at least.

Throw the mall stuff in later when you need padding.

tbh i haven't minded the pacing being somewhat scattered and i think cliffhangering at the end of ep 3 is fine? at the least it helps figure if you're invested enough in the main character after the three ep test to see how she succeeds (she's absolutely going to given the stakes, question is how), which SoD kinda proved.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

shy isn't the most amazing thing ever but it's absolutely fine. has a cool style and enough decent hooks to keep me invested.

The Colonel posted:

my favorite scene of the manga out of what i read was just her and a finnish girl walking up a mountain together

my favorite bit of the anime so far is just spending half an episode hanging out at the mall. it was fun character exposition.

symbolic posted:

tbh i haven't minded the pacing being somewhat scattered and i think cliffhangering at the end of ep 3 is fine? at the least it helps figure if you're invested enough in the main character after the three ep test to see how she succeeds (she's absolutely going to given the stakes, question is how), which SoD kinda proved.

given the rules set up that she wins if she hits him in the face and she loses if she gets knocked out of hero mode i'm guessing some kind of weird edge case happens where she gets turned into a normal person and hits him anyway

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

marumaru posted:

yeah the animation is extremely bad, sadly. potions also looks awful.
they're bad enough that they're distracting and killing the suspension of disbelief

It's boring and a little cheap but passable.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..

Doodles posted:

There's a little bit of change from the manga, since they took the time to clarify what Mia's role is and who she's part of, in type if not by specific name of the guild she's in. That comes later.

Remember, he's the type of gamer who'd play Dark Souls with a Moonlight Greatsword and skivvies, so the curse for him will be a challenge, but not one he isn't used to. :gitgud:

As far as Rabituza is concerned, that's an essential part of the overall story. If you haven't paid attention during the opening credits (And why not, when the OP is such a loving banger :rock:), you'll be seeing a LOT of the place, and a lot of Emul and her dad-, er, boss. And if my forums avatar isn't sufficient clue: I, for one, am looking forward to our long-eared overlords.

Its just kind of a balancing act for me.
Cause I'm in it for the 'this is an VRMMO game' So I'm willing to make allowances for the black box they have to make the game work and keep things interesting, like a crazy dynamic NPC AI that's so lifelike. And OP luck.

But entering some portal into a bunny world that no one ever seen before seems bordering on SAO-isekai level VR shenanigans, when I just want a lets play VRMMO based showcase.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
ep2 of 16-bit answered what I was wondering in ep1 pretty well
I was wondering how she was gonna deal with illustrating when she was raised on digital art methods.
was actually neat to see the process with the scanning/copying the page and coloring it in paint for the more low budget studios at least, in that time.

good thing they didn't ask her to draw with pen and ink on paper, she would be a goner.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

i hate my brain because i kept thinking "why didn't she find someone with electrical engineering experience to jerryrig her a 5 volt USB charger so she can prove she's from the future" the same way it ruins potion anime for me with "why didnt she do x potion"

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

GateOfD posted:

But entering some portal into a bunny world that no one ever seen before seems bordering on SAO-isekai level VR shenanigans, when I just want a lets play VRMMO based showcase.

This should get clarified next episode but other people have gotten to bunny world and documented it, but only Sunraku has gotten to the harder version due to his markings

Also probably past where the anime will end but eventually he’ll let the conditions slip and we’ll see at least one other person who makes it to the same scenario.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Nemo2342 posted:

This should get clarified next episode but other people have gotten to bunny world and documented it, but only Sunraku has gotten to the harder version due to his markings

Also probably past where the anime will end but eventually he’ll let the conditions slip and we’ll see at least one other person who makes it to the same scenario.

It actually got clarified this episode.