Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

VelociBacon posted:

Is it possible someone seasoned the rice? I have a zoji and love it but the rice is very similar to what I got from worse rice cookers - the difference being that I can leave rice in the zoji and it stays fresh, and nothing gets wasted due to being burnt.

Nope, it was just rice. Each grain was individual and perfectly moist and plump, unlike how mine in my rice cooker is. Maybe I'm just doing it wrong :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Nah I think it's that good. Sorta buttrry vs just cooked with my old cooker.

I sure as poo poo can't keep rice in for like a day like everyone reports though

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I've had a Panasonic rice cooker for nearly 20 years now. I'm always tempted to try something fancier, but mine still cooks rice perfectly so I can't really justify it.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
Ive had my zojirushi rice cooker for years now and it works so much better than the cheapo one I originally had. It also taught me the importance of washing the rice, so that helps.

However I don't like how it cooks basmati , so I mostly stick to short and medium grain rice

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Happiness Commando posted:

Nope, it was just rice. Each grain was individual and perfectly moist and plump, unlike how mine in my rice cooker is. Maybe I'm just doing it wrong :shrug:

sounds like you may need to be experimenting with water amounts.

really, there aren't very many variables to rice cooking.

If you have even the most basic rice cooker, you have reduced the number of variables down to:

* The breed of rice
* The amount of water you use

And that's it. Newer rice cookers now also build a small amount of pressure which equalizes elevation adjustments, but really, you tailor the amount of water to your rice and let the specific energy of water dictate the cook time.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Oct 15, 2023

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

smackfu posted:

My favorite silicon spatula broke in half the other day. Does anyone have a recommendation? All the ones on Amazon are like five packs of “silicon cooking tools” for $10.

I'll just second the Thermoworks silicone stuff, it's great and they generally advertise it as good up to 600F. Only downside is shipping, so I tend to pick them up opportunistically when I make a bigger purchase.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

smackfu posted:

My favorite silicon spatula broke in half the other day. Does anyone have a recommendation? All the ones on Amazon are like five packs of “silicon cooking tools” for $10.

I like di oro, but I’ve heard good things about the thermapen spatulas as well

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
My go-to for silicone spatulas is di oro, the ones that weren't the spoonula that got stolen when we had people over. Still good at least ten years now?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Thanks, will try the Di Oro since Amazon sells it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Nobody has made the perfect spatula yet.

All-silicone is great because there’s no seam and the handle doesn’t get hot from resting on the side of the pot. But if you have a utensil holder that has other tools in it, the silicone handle loves gripping onto the other tools, resisting you when you pull it out

Plastic handles feel cheap and melt on the side of the pot

Metal handles get hot, might accumulate filth in the seam between the head and handle. But it slides out of containers and its firmness is reassuring when you mix hard.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Wood!

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I have a bunch of these and spoonula shaped ones too. The goodwill near my old place had a huge box of them brand new in packaging for $1 each.

Nylon handle heat proof silicone blade.
I've used them in a professional hotel kitchen for over 10 years now and they are still going strong.

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/ru...tRoCNgkQAvD_BwE

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Ah nice. That is very similar to the one that broke, right where the handle meets the silicon blade.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
Does anyone have a recommendation for "universal" pot lids? I need a lid for my nonstick skillet (for cooking potstickers mostly lol), and my existing glass lids for other pans dont really fit

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Nettle Soup posted:

Yeah if your seasoning is good, both those things are fine. Might need to give it a scrub and put a new layer on after the pasta sauce, but that's not all that bad for it.

I tried making chicken tikka in my cast iron once.

The black bits that came up after simmering down everything was not pleasant.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I just upgraded to an induction stove as part of a kitchen remodel and discovered one my favorite pans isn't compatible. Anyone have a recommendation for a 4qt-ish non-stick pan similar in shape/form as this:

https://www.cuisinart.com/shopping/cookware/skillets-fry-pan/6354-24h/?srsltid=AfmBOoplOEM0PmJ-PFoWQ-LxagKa2kzCih18vffj98g2yr2qFuauZNESDLg

I am trying to start using carbon steel in place of all my non-stick pans but I think I still just want one pan that I can throw in the dishwasher and be lazy about, and this one always got a lot of use making all kinds of stuff that really wouldn't do well in stainless.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I don't have any suggestions because I've never owned a pan that shape, but out of curiosity what are you cooking in a pan like that that wouldn't do well in stainless?

mystes fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Oct 18, 2023

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Sirotan posted:

I just upgraded to an induction stove as part of a kitchen remodel and discovered one my favorite pans isn't compatible. Anyone have a recommendation for a 4qt-ish non-stick pan similar in shape/form as this:

https://www.cuisinart.com/shopping/cookware/skillets-fry-pan/6354-24h/?srsltid=AfmBOoplOEM0PmJ-PFoWQ-LxagKa2kzCih18vffj98g2yr2qFuauZNESDLg

I am trying to start using carbon steel in place of all my non-stick pans but I think I still just want one pan that I can throw in the dishwasher and be lazy about, and this one always got a lot of use making all kinds of stuff that really wouldn't do well in stainless.

Can always use an induction adapter underneath it:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

mystes posted:

I don't have any suggestions because I've never owned a pan that shape, but out of curiosity what are you cooking in a pan like that that wouldn't do well in stainless?

Food that would be a pain in the rear end to clean from a stainless steel pan. :) Stuff with cheesy sauces, etc.

VelociBacon posted:

Can always use an induction adapter underneath it:

Thanks, but I don't think I am interested in going that route.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Steve Yun posted:

Nobody has made the perfect spatula yet.

All-silicone is great because there’s no seam and the handle doesn’t get hot from resting on the side of the pot. But if you have a utensil holder that has other tools in it, the silicone handle loves gripping onto the other tools, resisting you when you pull it out
Silicone also loves collecting grease, refusing to let it go, and becoming permasticky. I still prefer mine, but it's an annoyance.

Thumposaurus, what's the dent in the blade of the spatula you linked for?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Maybe scraping around the edge of a bowl?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Probably to rest on the edge of the pan while the handle is on the counter.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Silicone also loves collecting grease, refusing to let it go, and becoming permasticky. I still prefer mine, but it's an annoyance.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Thinking real hard about this

https://twitter.com/gannonbreslin/status/1714771589139505371?t=KtYVUijL52lB2jb16-2wUg&s=19

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I would do that math real hard. A lot of it is stoneware

mystes
May 31, 2006

I'm not sure I would want 157 pieces of actual enameled cast iron simply in terms of the weight

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

On my phone but are those enameled pants in the top middle under the spatulas? Insane flex to show up to the function in Le Crueset pants.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

enamel salt and pepper mills. 20lb enamel spatulas. enamel plates.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

VelociBacon posted:

On my phone but are those enameled pants in the top middle under the spatulas? Insane flex to show up to the function in Le Crueset pants.

the wooden-handled spatulas are in a baine, in front of those are oil/vinegar bottles, to the right are salt/pepper mills.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Le Creuset now has a pottery line that color coordinates with their enameled line.

I've never seen the point of a coordinated set. Different dishes require different pots.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Different dishes require different dishware.

Hell, different seasons require different dishware.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I've never seen the point of a coordinated set. Different dishes require different pots.

Right, why would I ever want an all-matching set? To me at least, half the charm of having enameled ironware is having a whole kaleidoscope of colors.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Look when you win the lottery and buy a new house and the idea gets in your head that you can remodel the entire thing to be one color and you can buy one big kitchenware kit to match that one color

Only then will you understand

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

I think the idea is that you own several homes, buy a pallet for each one and the. Mix and match among the pieces you own

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Cassius Belli posted:

Right, why would I ever want an all-matching set? To me at least, half the charm of having enameled ironware is having a whole kaleidoscope of colors.

Also for La Creuset in particular they have some new colors every year. So you can get the discontinued colors for a decent discount if your timing is right.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

My dishes cabinet looks like the shelf at good will.

Anyway, does anyone buy bowls from potters? Where do you find them, I’d like to get some nice handmade bowls for soup.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
My wife and I got a set of expensive German porcelain bowls for Christmas last year. They are big and we use them all the time for soups, stews, curry, stir fry, fried rice, etc. The wide base makes it great for meals with rice. I am not sure what makes them so expensive (they retail for like $100 for a set of 2, although they were probably on sale) but they wash so easily. Literally just water and they look pristine no matter what was on it.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I should take a shot of every pot and pan I have.

I actually sort of wish I did that every now and then, so I could look back and reminisce. There's some items that I used to their utter destruction, being able to see something that was such a big part of my cooking life again would probably bring tears to my eyes.

Niyqor
Dec 1, 2003

Paid for by the meat council of America

Eeyo posted:

Anyway, does anyone buy bowls from potters? Where do you find them, I’d like to get some nice handmade bowls for soup.

I don't have a good answer for this but do highly encourage the idea. A good friend of mine is a potter, which has resulted in my household having a great collection of mugs and bowls made by him or potter friends of his. It is fun having them.

One idea would be to try to find places that teach pottery lessons and then ask those places.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Pottery people show up at the large craft fairs and art festivals in my area, so if you haven't checked those out give them a shot. Also any Renaissance fair that has vendor booths usually has a few.

Calling a pottery studio is a good idea, too. You may even start making your own!

My only beef with big bowls and stoneware is that we got a new Bosch dishwasher and none of it fits well and there are only like 7 bowl slots. I don't know what the Germans have against bowls.