Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ef1by8kJfk4

The Pixel Watch 2 is the most accurate fitness tracker available for Android for heat rate and sleep, WearOS or not. About the only thing that's not top of the line is GPS routes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

looks like so far the battery lasts a day and a half for me before I have to charge it again...not great to have to keep taking the watch off and on, it's gonna wear out the silicone straps, and they're $50 and if you want metal mesh it's up to $200 for the straps like

what. You've gotta be loving with me. There's a magnetic metal mesh strap on amazon for $10

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I'm not getting anywhere near the advertised life and I'm not sure why. I put it on before I went to bed last night and popped it into sleep mode. I woke up at 67% down from 100

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I only lose about 10-15% overnight. Went to bed with 65% battery and woke up with 53%.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

i went to bed after charging it to 100, and 9-10 hours later? it's currently at 76%

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I saw a couple posts where people had to do a factory reset to fix it so I'll try that when I get home

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Well, this is just great.

I guess you can't use the PW2 with Fitbit unless you migrate your Fitbit account to your Google Account. Which I would be fine with.

However, when I attempt the migration, I get the fairly inscrutable "this account already has a Fitbit account associated with it, choose a different Google Account" error.

I have no idea how to fix this, and neither does Fitbit or Google. I tried:

- setting up an all-new Google Account (which I greatly dislike the idea of, given that my regular Google Account has 20 years of data in it) and the loving Fitbit app immediately tells me that that account is already tied to a Fitbit account. Which: impossible.

Called Fitbit and the guy is like "yeah, we can see your primary google account as registered but it won't tell us to what Fitbit account or via which devices", which strikes me as loving INSANE.

At the end of the call, I simply asked "what do you recommend I do here to be able to use my watch?" and he straight-up said "I cannot help you, sorry".

Has anybody else bumped into this loving problem and possibly found a way through it? Absolutely maddening.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

Could be that the new "Continue with Google" account system clashes with the old "Sign In with Google" infrastructure they used to have pre-2023 and somehow they didn't notice (lol). Maybe try https://myaccount.google.com/ -> Security -> Your Connections with Third Party apps and services -> See all connections and delete any entries for Fitbit there.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

GreenBuckanneer posted:

looks like so far the battery lasts a day and a half for me before I have to charge it again...not great to have to keep taking the watch off and on, it's gonna wear out the silicone straps, and they're $50 and if you want metal mesh it's up to $200 for the straps like

what. You've gotta be loving with me. There's a magnetic metal mesh strap on amazon for $10

Yeah, the official Google straps are way over priced. They do fit better than the cheap ones I've gotten off Amazon, but I'd rather have the cash.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Vagrancy posted:

Could be that the new "Continue with Google" account system clashes with the old "Sign In with Google" infrastructure they used to have pre-2023 and somehow they didn't notice (lol). Maybe try https://myaccount.google.com/ -> Security -> Your Connections with Third Party apps and services -> See all connections and delete any entries for Fitbit there.

Yeah, I had tried that before contacting support. No dice :(

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Len posted:

I'm not getting anywhere near the advertised life and I'm not sure why. I put it on before I went to bed last night and popped it into sleep mode. I woke up at 67% down from 100

Len posted:

I saw a couple posts where people had to do a factory reset to fix it so I'll try that when I get home

Woke up this morning to it at 86 after the reset. That feels a lot better

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

WearOS 4 is out for the OG Pixel Watch.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

is there a way to get into the pixelwatch2 settings easily? I have to google the app and then open it within my android but I can't really see what the hell app it's supposed to be through

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I have no idea what you are asking.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
You just.. go to the settings on the watch? Or open the "Watch" app on your phone?

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Just got a PW2, do the media controls not rewind/fast forward podcast apps?! They just appear to be disabled buttons lol

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

ChiTownEddie posted:

Just got a PW2, do the media controls not rewind/fast forward podcast apps?! They just appear to be disabled buttons lol

I know with pocket casts they don't, maybe with the actual Google podcast app?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Len posted:

The one they're about to kill?

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Len posted:

Haha I use Pocket Casts too. Brutal.
I actually dled the Google podcast app to try and it's the same result.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

ChiTownEddie posted:

Haha I use Pocket Casts too. Brutal.
I actually dled the Google podcast app to try and it's the same result.

After posting that I did a search and pocket casts has an app but you need to have a premium account to use it

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Most podcast players interpret "next track" as FF, I can't speak to what's going wrong on the Pixel 2 ... been using media controls with Pocket Casts since a Pebble Time. It worked fine on my S3 and currently use the controls on my S5.

The Pocket Casts watch app is for if you want it to be managing and downloading podcasts to your watch, not media control.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

You just.. go to the settings on the watch? Or open the "Watch" app on your phone?

oh the app is literally ONLY called "watch"? thanks google i hate it

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

teethgrinder posted:

Most podcast players interpret "next track" as FF, I can't speak to what's going wrong on the Pixel 2 ... been using media controls with Pocket Casts since a Pebble Time. It worked fine on my S3 and currently use the controls on my S5.

The Pocket Casts watch app is for if you want it to be managing and downloading podcasts to your watch, not media control.

Yeah its a bummer. My original garmin running watch did this correctly too. Pretty sure its not a PW2 issue, but just a general wear os one.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

ChiTownEddie posted:

Yeah its a bummer. My original garmin running watch did this correctly too. Pretty sure its not a PW2 issue, but just a general wear os one.
It's definitely not specific to WearOS. My Samsung Watch 5 Pro is on WearOS and I use it just fine with Pocket Casts on my phone.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

One feature that Google added with WearOS4 and debuted on the Pixel Watch 2 was the ability to touch through to complications from the AoD without having to wake the watch first. I noticed that it actually goes one step further and allows you to swipe in any direction from the AoD. This is nice as it allows you to turn off lift to wake which, in my experience, is as significant as turning off AoD as far as battery savings go.

It also seems this feature was halfway ported to the PW1 with WearOS4. You can touch a complication on the AoD and have it launch right away, but it doesn't respond to swipes.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

bull3964 posted:

One feature that Google added with WearOS4 and debuted on the Pixel Watch 2 was the ability to touch through to complications from the AoD without having to wake the watch first. I noticed that it actually goes one step further and allows you to swipe in any direction from the AoD. This is nice as it allows you to turn off lift to wake which, in my experience, is as significant as turning off AoD as far as battery savings go.

It also seems this feature was halfway ported to the PW1 with WearOS4. You can touch a complication on the AoD and have it launch right away, but it doesn't respond to swipes.

Hm I guess that feature didn't get into samsungs version of wearos4. Shame, I don't use aod and would have started if it worked like that

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, it would be nice if Samsung added it into their watches too. It's a pretty significant quality of life improvement to not have to wake the watch first before interacting with it (if you have tilt to wake off or it didn't active or timed out before you started interacting with the watch.)

IMO, it completely eliminates the need for tilt to wake unless there's a watchface animation that you simply must see.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

bull3964 posted:

What in the hell were you doing to yours? I would consistently get 30 hours with AoD on.

For what it’s worth when I first got the PW1 the battery was *horrendous*. I had to turn off almost everything just to get basic AoD to work (with touch to wake, not even tilt to wake).

It’s been absolutely great over the last…4 months or so? I heard stories the battery life on the PW1 had dramatically improved, and sure enough, it has.

I have everything turned on and it’s reliably getting to ~40% battery left by end of day. It’s really odd, but it’s a significantly better watch than it was at launch.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

teethgrinder posted:

It's definitely not specific to WearOS. My Samsung Watch 5 Pro is on WearOS and I use it just fine with Pocket Casts on my phone.

Ah interesting, most of the posts about this issue were from samsung users. Gives me some hope that google can fix their poo poo then (lol, lmao)

Anyone have a recommendation of a cheap metal mesh strap that you've found adequate?

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
After a week of very slow back and forth with Google support they finally approved the RMA of my pixel watch 2.
The plus side of this is it let's me order the color I originally wanted but was sold out at the time. The downside is it's not shipping until mid November.

Oh well.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I updated Samsung Health off of APK mirror because the version on the Google Play store still doesn't have Android 14 support for Health Connect (since it went native).

I was pleasently suprised to find that the metric categories expanded. Before, Samsung health would ingest things like exercise and sleep from Health Connect, but it wouldn't do things like steps and heart rate. Now, it will do both of those read and write.

So now, pretty much all the data from Fitbit (from both my Pixel Watch 2 and Charge 5) will end up intact in Samsung Health as well as Google Fit. Ditto for my Fossil Gen 6 or Ticwatch (some categories for those anyways). This is great that I don't have to worry about what wearable I have on. It also makes the upcoming Samsung ring more interesting. If its decently accurate, it will be a good thing to pair with regular watches and still get health metric continuity.

Now if only Fitbit will switch from read only, but I doubt that's happening anytime soon.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Is there a reason an LTE pixel watch 2 could not work with a european esim? I've bought pixel phones in the US and brought them back to europe, popped in a sim and they've worked fine. But they don't sell the LTE pixel watch here in spain and a few things I've read imply that a watch from the US simply won't function with a european or spanish esim. I don't understand why.

I know there are different bands and such but usually quite a few overlap so I've never had that be a problem. What else could it be, or have I been misled?

Azrial
Apr 26, 2002

Coach, how did we beat Tennessee this year? The same way Vanderbilt did.
If I own the original is it worth upgrading? I can figure out the battery life on it and I can't imagine the 2 is significantly better? The software update was nice enough to break my watch running app which will take forever to get fixed im sure.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Azrial posted:

If I own the original is it worth upgrading? I can figure out the battery life on it and I can't imagine the 2 is significantly better? The software update was nice enough to break my watch running app which will take forever to get fixed im sure.

I charge every night but I haven't noticed it being significantly better. I end the day at 60ish% where as it was closer to 50 on the original

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Since the wearOS update the "remember to move" (and movement goal) notifications on the PW1 have started dismissing themselves before the vibration or sound has even finished lol

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

other people posted:

Is there a reason an LTE pixel watch 2 could not work with a european esim? I've bought pixel phones in the US and brought them back to europe, popped in a sim and they've worked fine. But they don't sell the LTE pixel watch here in spain and a few things I've read imply that a watch from the US simply won't function with a european or spanish esim. I don't understand why.

I know there are different bands and such but usually quite a few overlap so I've never had that be a problem. What else could it be, or have I been misled?

To answer my own question, it seems the problem is the watch's esim is provisioned by a google app on your phone, and that app only supports provisioning esims from officially supported providers. A few reddit threads show a trick to get passed this restriction by first presenting a support sim and then changing to the one you really want but even then it seems everyone gets hung up on some later step.

Getting my hands on a supported sim to even try this trick is not going to happen so for now I guess I won't bother with this watch. Oh well.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Something that I noticed which is pretty funny.

Google locks charting heart rate while you sleep behind the premium paywall. You still have the data of course since you have continuous heart rate measurement.

Well, if you use Health Connect to export the data and also have Fit hooked into health connect, your sleep session shown there will have the corresponding heart rate chunk underneath it, allowing you to easily see heart rate at each sleep stage.

I wish there was a way to turn off automatic sleep detection on the Pixel Watch though. If I wear it in the evening, it will often think I've gone to sleep when I'm just watching TV on the couch. Then I have to go back and edit the start time of my sleep after the fact.

The sideloaded updated Samsung Health seems to be working pretty well as far as keeping the continuity of heart rate tracking going as I switch off between Pixel Watch 2 and Galaxy watch. Health Connect in general seems to be working a lot smoother now that it's part of the OS and not a standalone app. I'm really looking forward to Samsung releasing their tracking ring now since it will be a nice way to keep heart rate tracking going in Samsung Health and Fit if I choose to wear less than smart watch (or no watch at all).

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Man wtf is up with the minimalist watch face? I noticed the developer now reads "battery stats saver". My 3 widgets disappeared, then the 3 dashes that were there after the update before I defined them came back, then went away again. My watch is also stuck in sleep mode today. Just managed to straighten that out by manually enabling and disabling the sleep routine on my phone.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

codo27 posted:

Man wtf is up with the minimalist watch face? I noticed the developer now reads "battery stats saver". My 3 widgets disappeared, then the 3 dashes that were there after the update before I defined them came back, then went away again. My watch is also stuck in sleep mode today. Just managed to straighten that out by manually enabling and disabling the sleep routine on my phone.

I think the app got sold and the original developer is no longer involved

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

is there any other watch faces other than the ones provided? they're all kinda boring