Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Der Kyhe posted:

I think at least one of the pretty boys they got as fronts later published a record showing that he actually could carry a tune. I think he got the worst part of it.

I think I remember one or both of them on Arsinio Hall to talk about the whole thing and performed a new song. It wasn't bad but the damage was done.

I think it's because they won a Grammy that this went down? Session musicians are often used and un-credited in all genres of music. All that hair metal that consumed Dial MTV during this time period was full of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

Dapper_Swindler posted:

they were on the super mario show.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7RTJyhhHs0
the original airing had "their" music.

I like how the original airing of the Milli Vanilli episode of the Mario show aired in October 1990, presenting the band as cool and good. But this was already months after the lipsyncing in the concert thing happened and people were making jokes about Milli Vanilli being fake. Then Rob and Fab were fired in November 1990 and it was confessed that they did not sing on their records.

Just like, lol that was pretty bad timing on making that episode

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

nine-gear crow posted:

I love how Weiss and Bennioff dodged accountability for the final season for months, skipping Comic Con and going subterranean on social media, then did what they thought was gonna be a small-scale intimate discussion panel at some book fair thing where they said they loving nailed the finale, it was perfect, no notes, and of course it was live blogged on Twitter and exploded everywhere online and literally the next day LucasFilm was like "Dan Weiss and David Bennioff are no longer making a Star Wars movie for our company."

And then it came out they were were actually fired in like May of that year, like the week after the show ended, and LucasFilm was just waiting for the moment when the two dipshits resurfaced and open their dipshit mouths to make it official.

i never saw that.

HJE-Cobra posted:

I like how the original airing of the Milli Vanilli episode of the Mario show aired in October 1990, presenting the band as cool and good. But this was already months after the lipsyncing in the concert thing happened and people were making jokes about Milli Vanilli being fake. Then Rob and Fab were fired in November 1990 and it was confessed that they did not sing on their records.

Just like, lol that was pretty bad timing on making that episode

yeah, even lovely animation like that takes at least MONTHS to put together. so yeah lol

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Welp

https://collider.com/tara-strong-recast-boxtown/

quote:

After voicing Loki’s Ms. Minutes and helping make it one of the most popular characters from the Marvel series, voice actor Tara Strong has been recast in a project she worked on. The actor was fired from the upcoming animated series Boxtown – a decision that was reached after the actor took to X (formerly Twitter) to voice her support for Israel and calling the bombing of the Gaza Strip “smart.”

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh

She better hope Marvel doesn't check her Likes tab:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Always amazes me when these Chuds just can't stay silent, even at the risk of the careers.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Didn't Tara Strong have some really :yikes: opinions about COVID and vaccines too? I seem to recall this isn't the first time she's shot her mouth off about poo poo, but this is the first time it's cost her a job... so far.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

Is this the first one that happened after this thread was made?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

Didn't Tara Strong have some really :yikes: opinions about COVID and vaccines too? I seem to recall this isn't the first time she's shot her mouth off about poo poo, but this is the first time it's cost her a job... so far.

Yeah I think so.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

ghost emoji posted:

She better hope Marvel doesn't check her Likes tab:

How can you debunk people hating a religion and the people involved?

That's just a thing that has very openly existed like... forever.

:thunk:

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
As someone who never watched GoT what happened at the end that pissed everybody off so much? Was it just a stupid resolution of the plot?

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬
Anthony Cumia going on a racist tweet storm about a black woman who allegedly hit him in the face at Times Square for taking a video of her

Opie taking a video of an employee using the toilet at work

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Presto posted:

As someone who never watched GoT what happened at the end that pissed everybody off so much? Was it just a stupid resolution of the plot?

Everyone got mad when one of the two characters everyone was rooting for to become King and Queen, ostensibly the two remaining protagonists of the show at that point, went insane with virtually no prompting, destroyed the city she was trying to free from the grip of the main surviving villain and killed basically everyone then proclaimed she was gonna give fascism a try, so the other main character was forced to kill her and then went off into exile to become a lumber jack or something and some kid a wheelchair who never had any interest in the politics of the setting was made the king because the allegedly smartest character in the show told everyone he had the best "story" to his character arc.

And this was after the show's version of Literally Satan was killed in a surprise attack by the main character's cousin because the showrunners thought paying off 9 years of build up to the main character fighting and killing the main villain of the show was boring and predictable and it would generate more social media buzz if a random name they drew out of a hat did it instead.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

I remember my sister was taking nighttime college courses and asked me to tape an episode of a show called Sister Kate because Milli Vanilli was going to appear on it and she didn’t want to miss it, so I recorded it for her.

quote:

Rob Pilatus and Fabrice Morvan appeared as Milli Vanilli in the January 7, 1990 episode "Eugene's Feat", speaking a few lines in their natural voices before (what was later revealed to be) lip-synching their hit "Blame It on the Rain".

The show only lasted 19 episodes before it was cancelled, and not too many people even remember it, but I do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEVmTGmD5vQ

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Presto posted:

It was a precipitous drop off quality on almost every front: Plot holes that were too obvious to ignore, stories that went no-where, characters acting so far out of character as be unrecognisable or completely invalidate years of character growth, a rushed script, and a uninteresting, unsatisfying resolution.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

nine-gear crow posted:

Everyone got mad when one of the two characters everyone was rooting for to become King and Queen, ostensibly the two remaining protagonists of the show at that point, went insane with virtually no prompting, destroyed the city she was trying to free from the grip of the main surviving villain and killed basically everyone then proclaimed she was gonna give fascism a try, so the other main character was forced to kill her and then went off into exile to become a lumber jack or something and some kid a wheelchair who never had any interest in the politics of the setting was made the king because the allegedly smartest character in the show told everyone he had the best "story" to his character arc.

And this was after the show's version of Literally Satan was killed in a surprise attack by the main character's cousin because the showrunners thought paying off 9 years of build up to the main character fighting and killing the main villain of the show was boring and predictable and it would generate more social media buzz if a random name they drew out of a hat did it instead.

A show version of premature ejaculation when the books ran out and they saw all the Star Wars money in their future.

Danerys was always meant to go mad, but slower and with cause... what we got was dire.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

nine-gear crow posted:

I didn't care about any of the political decisions the showrunners made and I'm skeptical that played a major role in anyone hating the show.

I can't remember exactly where things changed but at first the show was very cohesive and I think basically the last two seasons they changed to the same format as the Star Wars sequels where plot and consistency really don't matter to anyone. As long as they can make a five minute scene visually remarkable, it doesn't matter what happened before or happens after that, as long as it's another visually remarkable five minute scene. Just get as many visually remarkable five minutes scenes together as we can muster and then throw them together in some fashion, who gives a poo poo, it doesn't matter what order or if they make sense together.

I think the most egregious thing for me was how they played up the ballistae to be these game changers and then oh poo poo I can't point them up I guess, they're completely useless oh well. Everything just became constantly so loving stupid and inconsistent.

Jelly fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Oct 17, 2023

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

words cannot really express how bad the ending was, you have to watch the first few good seasons to see how badly they hosed it up. don't do it

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

hawowanlawow posted:

words cannot really express how bad the ending was, you have to watch the first few good seasons to see how badly they hosed it up. don't do it

The first season compared to the last season may be the largest gap in quality of any show ever made.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Jelly posted:

The first season compared to the last season may be the largest gap in quality of any show ever made.

The better the show started to look visually, the worse it became narratively.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Extra Large Marge posted:

When Rhonda Rousey fought against someone who knew how to defend against an armbar (Holly Holm).

She was just fed easy fights for so long lol

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Yeah, the first time she lost she took her ball and went home lol.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Yeah, the first time she lost she took her ball and went home lol.

That Arm Bar had mythic qualities for awhile.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

nine-gear crow posted:

The better the show started to look visually, the worse it became narratively.

I liked how the show looked originally, some of the sets were a little dinky, but the places looked fairly realistic overall. The cinematography was pretty great for TV at the time. They certainly did a good job making the various locations feel different.

Once they got CGI skeleton money, that's when the show got bad.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

redshirt posted:

That Arm Bar had mythic qualities for awhile.

Oh she is an amazing athlete and decorated Olympic judo champion.

Things kinda change when you add fists and feet though.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Ok, having read the books I understood that, and wow.

For a moment the thought "I hope the books end better than that" floated across my mind and then I thought "LOL the books are never going to be finished you idiot".

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Presto posted:

For a moment the thought "I hope the books end better than that" floated across my mind and then I thought "LOL the books are never going to be finished you idiot".

Yeah, basically some bells ring, Dany goes crazy and burns down Kings Landing, Cersei is killed by a falling brick, Jon then kills Dany because she was like "I'm gonna fascism all over the place now lol this rules", Bran becomes King because Tryion's like "I'm high as balls and I want to die" (though that might have just been Peter Dinklage, I dunno), and the Others are destroyed by Arya instead of Jon because [bets it all on black and spins roulette wheel]

Also you are right, there will be no ending to the books and even if there was, GRRM has already said the show's ending is the book's ending, they just cocked up the way they got there.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Presto posted:

It's been over a decade since I read those, I can't even remember what was going on and the show will further confuse that. I don't think I'd have any desire to at this point.

The same thing happened with Stephen King's Dark Tower series. He took so drat long to finish it I re-read the first three to read the next two and by the time more came out I'd again forgot what the hell was going on.

I learned two things from this. One, my memory might be poo poo, and two, don't read books until they're all released.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Another example of how nobody gave a poo poo is that Starbucks cups made it into two separate scenes in the final season.

Also in the final season they just completely gave up on the logistics of travel when trips around the country that previously took months happened between scenes.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Jelly posted:

It's been over a decade since I read those, I can't even remember what was going on and the show will further confuse that. I don't think I'd have any desire to at this point.

The same thing happened with Stephen King's Dark Tower series. He took so drat long to finish it I re-read the first three to read the next two and by the time more came out I'd again forgot what the hell was going on.

I learned two things from this. One, my memory might be poo poo, and two, don't read books until they're all released.

King finished it pretty quick once he started again.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

redshirt posted:

King finished it pretty quick once he started again.
Book 3 - 1991
Book 4 - 1997
Book 5 - 2003
Book 6 - 2004
Book 7 - 2004

You're right, I revise my explanation to possibly losing interest due to how weird it got with King self-inserting? Which book was that? I guess I don't have a clear view of things anymore.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
When GOT tried to recreate the chemistry of Tyrion & Bronn and Jamie & Brienne, by pairing up Jamie & Bronn as a comedy double act, I knew it was time to switch off. Also Ed Sheeran turned up in an episode playing a medieval version of himself.

Jelly posted:

Book 3 - 1991
Book 4 - 1997
Book 5 - 2003
Book 6 - 2004
Book 7 - 2004

You're right, I revise my explanation to possibly losing interest due to how weird it got with King self-inserting? Which book was that? I guess I don't have a clear view of things anymore.

Wolves of the Calla (Book 5) was the beginning of the meta style storytelling. The books themselves existed in universe and Stephen King is some kind of prophet? So much happens in the last two books I can't be certain but I think one character reads the plot of the last Dark Tower novel to figure out how to beat the bad guy?

Wolves of the Calla is still a great book but it's definitely the start of the weirdness. Go read Wizard and Glass (Book 4) for the best Dark Tower novel though, it can almost be read as a standalone.

Kosmo Gallion fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Oct 17, 2023

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Jelly posted:

don't read books until they're all released.
I put off reading the books for years, figuring I'd do it when GRRM finished them. Welp

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!

Extra Large Marge posted:

When Rhonda Rousey fought against someone who knew how to defend against an armbar (Holly Holm).

Rhonda Rousey, what a joke. She couldn't loving fight so she pitched a fit as soon as she got beat and defected to WWE. She went TERF and was stunt cast in Mortal Kombat 11 but after that I think she disappeared.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Jelly posted:

The last one ended with Dany having explosive bloody diarrhea in a field.

The symbolism is rich.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Kosmo Gallion posted:

When GOT tried to recreate the chemistry of Tyrion & Bronn and Jamie & Brienne, by pairing up Jamie & Bronn as a comedy double act, I knew it was time to switch off. Also Ed Sheeran turned up in an episode playing a medieval version of himself.

Wolves of the Calla (Book 5) was the beginning of the meta style storytelling. The books themselves existed in universe and Stephen King is some kind of prophet? So much happens in the last two books I can't be certain but I think one character reads the plot of the last Dark Tower novel to figure out how to beat the bad guy?

Wolves of the Calla is still a great book but it's definitely the start of the weirdness. Go read Wizard and Glass (Book 4) for the best Dark Tower novel though, it can almost be read as a standalone.

I've read Wizard and Glass and remember it well, it's Wolves of Calla where things got weird and fuzzy for me and I guess I never bothered with it after that.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

emSparkly posted:

Rhonda Rousey, what a joke. She couldn't loving fight so she pitched a fit as soon as she got beat and defected to WWE. She went TERF and was stunt cast in Mortal Kombat 11 but after that I think she disappeared.
I didn't realize she was a TERF though I should have realized when she was palling around with Lance Armstrong on that dumb reality show Stars on Mars. She kept a pretty low profile and had a pretty good attitude.

Lance Armstrong outed himself as a piece of poo poo pretty quickly, but chef Cat Cora was the real rear end in a top hat of the show. Imagine having an obsessive bone to pick with Andy Richter. I didn't know who she was before watching that, but I hate her now.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Who the gently caress hates Andy?

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Who the gently caress hates Andy?
I guess I'll tl;dr it best I can

The show is typical survivor-style reality show. Elect a commander and they choose who leaves at the end of a mission.

Andy was commander and had a crazy difficult choice and he didn't have a really good option on his mission for who was the "lesser" because everyone did a good job. He chose Cat and her partner, possibly because they were less established. It was really a no-win impossible choice and I'm sure his choice was pretty much flip a coin, and ultimately she got to stay.

Then for the entire rest of the whole show she was obsessed with hating him until she finally got the moment to kick him off, which she successfully did, and she lied through her teeth that it wasn't personal when she'd consistently demonstrated it was. She's just a bitter, ugly, vengeful person, and I can't get over that she targeted that ire toward Andy, of all people. He was just trying to have fun and cheer everyone up the whole time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

the only question I have is how did Tom do