Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Diva Cupcake posted:

Feel the excitement of this year's coaching carousel.

https://twitter.com/AllbrightNFL/status/1714004285028200772?s=20

Bobby Layne's ghost in absolute shambles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Diva Cupcake posted:

He’s a white dude with HC experience coaching the best defense in the league, just like Dan Quinn he’s gonna get some interest from conservative teams.

But Ben Johnson and Bienemy are the two I’d want if the Bucs were looking for a new coach. Sadly Canales has been so good that we’re probably stuck with Bowles for another season. (Please just give Canales the HC job)

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Dan Quinn still can't get a job and unlike Schwartz he actually coached a Super Bowl team. I don't think many of these DC types are as hot as media members say they are.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
The Jets are 3-3 and just maybe gave their season new life by beating one of the 2 or 3 best teams in the NFL with their entire CB room injured. I'm not going to let you psychos convince me to be worried about the prospect of Zach Wilson maybe backing up Aaron Rodgers in 2024.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Benne posted:

Dan Quinn still can't get a job and unlike Schwartz he actually coached a Super Bowl team. I don't think many of these DC types are as hot as media members say they are.

Didn’t Dan Quinn turn down the Denver job last year? Or was that all agent bullshit?

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Didn’t Dan Quinn turn down the Denver job last year? Or was that all agent bullshit?
He turned down the Broncos in 2022 and the Cardinals in 2023. He's not lacking in offers; he's probably just smartly realizing he'll have one more shot at a head gig and why blow it on a lovely situation?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

My money's on the latter. We spent like 3 years going "Dan Quinn will definitely get hired" and then Dan Quinn not getting hired.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Diva Cupcake posted:

Schwartz is a legit defensive coordinator but I feel like his track record as a head coach is ehhhhhhhhhhhh

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Diva Cupcake posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Genuine question. Does anyone want a defensive HC in the modern NFL? Like are any of ya’ll chomping at the bit to hire Evero or idk who else is a hot young DC?

It just feels like you’re hoping for a miracle where they’re both still good at assembling a defense and at hiring OCs vs getting a dude who can actually coach offense

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Genuine question. Does anyone want a defensive HC in the modern NFL? Like are any of ya’ll chomping at the bit to hire Evero or idk who else is a hot young DC?

It just feels like you’re hoping for a miracle where they’re both still good at assembling a defense and at hiring OCs vs getting a dude who can actually coach offense

The Texans seem pretty happy with DeMeco Ryans right now.

I'm not gonna make any grand proclamations here, but football is a cyclical game and offenses can't rule forever. It feels like we're already seeing the pendulum swing back with two-high shells and the like re-emerging to slow down passing. Defensive geniuses can exist too.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Benne posted:

The Texans seem pretty happy with DeMeco Ryans right now.
Right but will they still be when Slowik gets hired away as an HC and the offense comes crashing down to earth?

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

^^ It's been like 5 games lol.

Saleh turned the 32nd ranked defense into a consistent top 5 unit in 2 years. That's a best case for defensive coach. Still need a QB.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean the jets benefited greatly from the Eagles shooting themselves in the foot. Which is fine a win is a win but it’s not something you can rely on with that weak an offense

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Demeco’s been great and if Stroud keeps looking like this idk that anyone’s ever going to complain about Demeco as HC.

But my question is not “has a defensive HC hire been good?” it’s: Do any of you actually want your teams to hire a defensive HC?

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean the jets benefited greatly from the Eagles shooting themselves in the foot. Which is fine a win is a win but it’s not something you can rely on with that weak an offense
This again? At a certain point you give credit to the defense forcing these elite QBs to play like poo poo against them.

Patrick Mahomes, Josh Allen, and Jalen Hurts vs. the Jets Defense:

59% completion percentage
3TD/ 9 INT
5.7 YPA
17.0 PPG

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Diva Cupcake posted:

^^ It's been like 5 games lol.

Saleh turned the 32nd ranked defense into a consistent top 5 unit in 2 years. That's a best case for defensive coach. Still need a QB.
I was being hypothetical and you know it. This is the same as some Bills fans hating Daboll's replacement because he just doesnt capture that same magic, how the Falcons Offense dropped off after Shanahan got hired away, ect.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Oct 16, 2023

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yeah it was random luck that Jalen Hurts shat his pants against the Jets defense

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Professor Funk posted:

Yeah it was random luck that Jalen Hurts shat his pants against the Jets defense

Eagles had some absolutely killer drops and if they call a run instead of an insane pass play, Wilson has 1:30 to lead a game winning drive and lol

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Demeco’s been great and if Stroud keeps looking like this idk that anyone’s ever going to complain about Demeco as HC.

But my question is not “has a defensive HC hire been good?” it’s: Do any of you actually want your teams to hire a defensive HC?

NO.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Eagles had some absolutely killer drops and if they call a run instead of an insane pass play, Wilson has 1:30 to lead a game winning drive and lol

Ah, the classic "we would have won the game if we didn't do the bad things that lost us the game" argument

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Diva Cupcake posted:

This again? At a certain point you give credit to the defense forcing these elite QBs to play like poo poo against them.

Patrick Mahomes, Josh Allen, and Jalen Hurts vs. the Jets Defense:

59% completion percentage
3TD/ 9 INT
5.7 YPA
17.0 PPG

I didn’t say the Defensive didn’t play well they obviously did but the Eagles objectively shot themselves in the foot that kept the jets true weak point their lovely offense alive

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

I would have no issues with Steve Wilks coming back to Carolina, but my bar for "good" is getting low at this point

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Shinji2015 posted:

I would have no issues with Steve Wilks coming back to Carolina, but my bar for "good" is getting low at this point

But do you want Steve Wilks? I get the “sure fine, he’ll do” attitude but who do you actually want as a HC?

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Diva Cupcake posted:

They just mean in terms of attractiveness. Have you seen what the average NFL head coach looks like?

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

He’s a white dude with HC experience coaching the best defense in the league, just like Dan Quinn he’s gonna get some interest from conservative teams.

But Ben Johnson and Bienemy are the two I’d want if the Bucs were looking for a new coach. Sadly Canales has been so good that we’re probably stuck with Bowles for another season. (Please just give Canales the HC job)

Ben Johnson to New England, with some GM who has never even heard of the Patriot Way. I am ready to stop drafting receivers who run routes like a run stuffing linebacker from 2004

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
Why are we pretending that the three hottest coaching candidates this off-season won’t be the OC, QB coach, and WR coach of the Miami Dolphins?

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Yes everyone will be itching to hire Darell Bevell.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

But do you want Steve Wilks? I get the “sure fine, he’ll do” attitude but who do you actually want as a HC?

Ok leaving aside this being an unanswerable appeal to the opinions of a nebulous “fanbase”, how often are “fans” (or posters here) actually right about which coaches are going to succeed before they’re hired? Worse than a coin flip I’d bet, so…who cares? We have completely inadequate information to judge who is going to be a good head coach. Guys like Hue Jackson and Byron Leftwich have been in recent memory hot offensive coaching candidates

epic bacon
Sep 19, 2022

Adun posted:

Why are we pretending that the three hottest coaching candidates this off-season won’t be the OC, QB coach, and WR coach of the Miami Dolphins?

Wes Welker as a head coach is fun to imagine

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

The Panthers probably need a boring few years of solid drafts, good coaching, not exciting football.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Schwartz might be a good hire for a bad team trying to achieve mediocrity, but definitely a bad hire for a mediocre team trying to be good.

Source: his Lions HC tenure.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

A dude who gets the most out of his roster and has the respect of the team? Yeah, I would want that.

I think not having Scott Fitterer assembling the roster and not having Tepper meddling is probably as important as any coach they could get though. Like obviously Dan Campbell is doing an awesome job in Detroit, but what does that situation look like without Brad Holmes knocking it out of the loving park?

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

Diva Cupcake posted:

Probably not as a head coach, but I don't think it'd be crazy to think he'd have some juice as an offensive coordinator candidate. He's had some good offensive performances in the past, and you can probably infer he learned from good stuff in Miami. Working with Russell Wilson probably looks a bit differ on his resume now too.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

DeimosRising posted:

Ok leaving aside this being an unanswerable appeal to the opinions of a nebulous “fanbase”, how often are “fans” (or posters here) actually right about which coaches are going to succeed before they’re hired? Worse than a coin flip I’d bet, so…who cares? We have completely inadequate information to judge who is going to be a good head coach. Guys like Hue Jackson and Byron Leftwich have been in recent memory hot offensive coaching candidates

Oh I don’t much care about “being right” particularly since even our inadequately informed hit rate is at worst going to be the same as the hyper conservative owners who just love other conservative white dudes. We probably over index on aggressive, younger, and novel coaches vs the owners.

I’m more curious if there’s excitement within an informed football crowd for defensive guys or if its a lot of this:

FizFashizzle posted:

The Panthers probably need a boring few years of solid drafts, good coaching, not exciting football.

C-Euro posted:

Schwartz might be a good hire for a bad team trying to achieve mediocrity, but definitely a bad hire for a mediocre team trying to be good.

Source: his Lions HC tenure.

ozymandius1024 posted:

A dude who gets the most out of his roster and has the respect of the team? Yeah, I would want that.

I think not having Scott Fitterer assembling the roster and not having Tepper meddling is probably as important as any coach they could get though. Like obviously Dan Campbell is doing an awesome job in Detroit, but what does that situation look like without Brad Holmes knocking it out of the loving park?

So then, Panthers are hiring a new HC and you’re hooting and hollering for Steve Wilks? gently caress Ben Johnson, or any of these other younger offensive dudes, get me Steve Wilks. That’s you?

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Diva Cupcake posted:

He's trending back up with the Dolphins humming. It's a good place to repair his reputation.

Adun posted:

They're behind Beinemy and Ben Johnson but they'll have a market.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Remember when Joe Brady was the hot new offensive mastermind getting interviews? Good times.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
I wish my dumb team would just fire Staley and make kellen moore HC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

I'm sorry that I don't have a more interesting answer to this. A lot of the most important things that make a good head coach -- building a culture, hiring a great staff, getting player buy-in, carrying himself professionally as the public face of the team -- have nothing to do with whether he's an offensive or defensive guy.

Personally I would prefer a CEO type like Tomlin, Harbaugh or Carroll (or to a lesser extent Bill, which let's not forget that the most successful coach ever is a defensive guy). But there isn't a one-type-fits-all approach to coaching, and trying to insist on one is a good way to box yourself in, or hire Josh McDaniels for the 12th time.

Benne fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Oct 17, 2023