Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

anonumos posted:

I have started keeping a sharpie in my car and labeling unmarked mute buttons and stuff at gas pumps.

I encountered my first one without a mute button. I tried every button and even a few combos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

StormDrain posted:

I encountered my first one without a mute button. I tried every button and even a few combos.

You just hit it as the next step.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Breaking the speaker did come to mind.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

StormDrain posted:

Breaking the speaker did come to mind.

America just broke the speaker.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

StormDrain posted:

Somebody here shared the knowledge about unlabeled pump buttons and said the mute button for video ads is always the top right button. It’s worked every time since finding that out for me. Did that not work?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

You Are A Werewolf posted:

Somebody here shared the knowledge about unlabeled pump buttons and said the mute button for video ads is always the top right button. It’s worked every time since finding that out for me. Did that not work?

Correct. And it's usually the second down on the right. Not a single button would mute it.

However I did learn that jalapeño cheesy rollers are 2/$2.22 so that's nice.

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved
Speedway, as far as I can tell on every pump I've tried, has no way mute the screens.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

The spreadsheets demand blood.

https://twitter.com/ethangach/status/1713970488257413600

I Miss Snausages
Mar 8, 2005
Volvorific!

Hatsune Mike posted:

last I was in the US I went to home depot and as I walked down the isle with screws in it there was a loud BEEP followed by a nearby LCD monitor lighting up and showing me:

* A message along the lines of "YOU ARE BEING MONITORED"
* A live video of me, on the nearby security cam
* A live video of the poor sap monitoring the security footage in the store

It's not like organized shoplifting gangs can't just walk in and out of the store. Why threaten customers? WalMart's approach of showing people camera footage of them walking into the store is not something that I like, but is much less intrusive. Face detection and license plate scanning are done by Target. I can't imagine Home Depot isn't doing the same thing. I know there are databases you can subscribe for livence plates to watch for.

The next big thing that some higher end retail stores are doing is using facial recognition of customers that spend big bucks at the store, and then have an associate "bump" into the person, recognize the person and be a temp personal shopper for them, because, in general, spending goes way up when personal shoppers or helpers are involved.
In 10 years, watch target send high school kids out to track down people and greet them by name because "They buy more stuff at Saks and Noststroms when they did this!"

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Hey thanks for totally loving destroying the main way I can actually buy new music from small artists Tim Sweeney, that was really well-appreciated

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

MrQwerty posted:

Hey thanks for totally loving destroying the main way I can actually buy new music from small artists Tim Sweeney, that was really well-appreciated

Real strange that it happened after some of the worked unionized? Truly :iiam:

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Laserface posted:

Windows 11 added back the "never combine, always show labels" on the taskbar, finally, after a loving year.

Did this actually happen? I thought they were still discussing something that might happen in the fullness of time after long study and many committees first.

My work Windows 11 PC is not doing it :(

W424
Oct 21, 2010

MrQwerty posted:

Real loving cool that one of the last ways to make any money from music (excluding touring) got hosed by some business bullshit.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Comstar posted:

Did this actually happen? I thought they were still discussing something that might happen in the fullness of time after long study and many committees first.

My work Windows 11 PC is not doing it :(

I had to manually force an update on mine to make the option show up.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

W424 posted:

Real loving cool that one of the last ways to make any money from music (excluding touring) got hosed by some business bullshit.

poo poo, none of the guys I know have made jack fuckin poo poo off touring in the last 10 years

they made a lot off Bandcamp though

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

MrQwerty posted:

poo poo, none of the guys I know have made jack fuckin poo poo off touring in the last 10 years

they made a lot off Bandcamp though

Yup. They get hosed on merch now too because the venues take a cut.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

Hatsune Mike posted:

last I was in the US I went to home depot and as I walked down the isle with screws in it there was a loud BEEP followed by a nearby LCD monitor lighting up and showing me:

* A message along the lines of "YOU ARE BEING MONITORED"
* A live video of me, on the nearby security cam
* A live video of the poor sap monitoring the security footage in the store

But who was monitoring the guy monitoring you??

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Serious_Cyclone posted:

China

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Serious_Cyclone posted:

SkynetGPT duh

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

It’s extra stupid since most retail theft is by employees anyways. Them losing a couple bucks off screws is not even a rounding error. They won’t even really do anything unless you are a serial shoplifter taking thousands of dollars worth of merch.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Invalid Validation posted:

It’s extra stupid since most retail theft is by employees anyways. Them losing a couple bucks off screws is not even a rounding error. They won’t even really do anything unless you are a serial shoplifter taking thousands of dollars worth of merch.

I’ve actually seen gas stations that had those pointed at the employees. If they answered their cell phone some guy in India would start yelling at them from the screen.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

I would like to become a terrorist

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Invalid Validation posted:

It’s extra stupid since most retail theft is by employees anyways.

Internal theft actually makes up a smaller portion of retail shrinkage than external theft, it's like 36% external versus 29% internal.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

big mean giraffe posted:

Internal theft actually makes up a smaller portion of retail shrinkage than external theft, it's like 36% external versus 29% internal.

I'll be honest, I looked it up because I thought it was incorrect too that employee theft was the majority but it looks like it's true. I mean, I just googled it but the low end looks like 56%

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

According to one of my friends that had a job dealing with that sort of stuff, shoplifting and store employee theft combined is barely even a drop in the bucket compared to all of the pallets of stuff that vanish before ever making it to the store.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Probably depends on the business but from the stores I used to worked at shrink mostly came from returns and damaged product.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Tarkus posted:

I'll be honest, I looked it up because I thought it was incorrect too that employee theft was the majority but it looks like it's true. I mean, I just googled it but the low end looks like 56%

That's not at all what I found looking this up online.

https://nrf.com/research/national-retail-security-survey-2023

quote:

Theft – both internal and external –
accounts for nearly two-thirds (65%) of retailers’ shrink. However, for some sectors,
theft can represent more than 70% of overall shrink.

So, where does the shrink occur? Respondents attributed their overall shrink to
different sources of loss. External theft, including ORC-related events, accounted for an
average of 36% of total loss. Internal (employee) theft reported in at 29% of shrink loss.

big mean giraffe fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Oct 17, 2023

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Good, I hope employees steal more bc the entire system is predicated on you undervaluing your own work such that your boss can sell it to clients for more than you sell it to him.

Boss makes a dollar, I make a dime, that's why I steal TP on company time

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Dip Viscous posted:

According to one of my friends that had a job dealing with that sort of stuff, shoplifting and store employee theft combined is barely even a drop in the bucket compared to all of the pallets of stuff that vanish before ever making it to the store.

And it all pales in comparison to all the wages stolen by the employers. It is always morally correct to steal from a business.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Biplane posted:

And it all pales in comparison to all the wages stolen by the employers. It is always morally correct to steal from a business.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Exactly. All this hemming and hawing about shrinkage is just playing into the bosses bullshit. They're stealing far more in wage theft than any employee could ever take back.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Exactly. All this hemming and hawing about shrinkage is just playing into the bosses bullshit. They're stealing far more in wage theft than any employee could ever take back.

Even ignoring the actual value of labor being stolen, actual wage theft of owed, agreed upon (or legally entitled to) wages is still the biggest source of theft in the US, accounting for more total value than burglary, robbery and auto theft combined.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

VikingofRock posted:

MST3K's pricing model is a great fit for this thread. If I want to watch new episodes, I need to either rent them for $5 an episode (lol), buy them for $8 an episode (lolol), or buy a season pass for $150 (lmao). How is the Gizmoplex, a streaming service with only MST3k, more expensive than most actual streaming services with more than one series?

What a losing formula. There are like infinity old episodes of mst3k and they have a whole linear channel on one of the free streaming sites.

I can see myself finding a more recent lovely movie and being excited to rent the mst3k version. But beyond that I don’t know who their target is. Like 20 guys who have watched every mst3k episode?

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Tim Heidecker made the paid HEI streaming network for all his content.

On the one hand I get needing money when you're shooting everything with a 20-person crew in what appears to be your basement.

On the other hand I also thought it was a joke and if you think I'm paying for that you must think I'm a joke.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

I was very sad when he wanted me to start paying for On Cinema

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

It's true and I'm tired of pretending it isn't
Tim Heidecker owning his own plausibly ironic paid streaming service is the most in-character topical thing possible imo

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved
I've bought single bolts and paid with a credit card, so I'm pretty sure it would've been cheaper to Home Depot if I had just stolen it.

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!
Genuinely livid at this. It was too good to last :sigh:

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Triikan posted:

I've bought single bolts and paid with a credit card, so I'm pretty sure it would've been cheaper to Home Depot if I had just stolen it.

Aldi charges a surcharge for credit card but if you buy something very small like a knockoff Red Bull then the surcharge is less than 1¢ and isn't applied! :science:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

dairy queen fries. what the gently caress, these are trash.