Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

mystes posted:

Same but every post here that's more than five words

I'm not reading all that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funkmeister
Feb 20, 2010

About your father. If it's any help, he's in the ground now. Sure, it's bad news for him. But on the other hand, it's party time for all those little worms.
TLDR of the past 514 pages?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

funkmeister posted:

game

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

funkmeister posted:

I fed the thread into chat gpt and asked for a synopsis and it said

Video games are stupid

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Resdfru posted:

I fed the thread into chat gpt and asked for a synopsis and it said

Video games are stupid

AI is getting good

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

funkmeister posted:

You should play Monster Hunter World

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

ImpAtom posted:

I like audiobooks for light/low-focus material. It doesn't really hurt my focus to listen to the Dresden Files (though I dumped that series) or whatever. If it's anything I would need to focus on then nah.

Best audiobook I listened to was Anthony Bourdain narrating Medium Raw. Just telling wild stories and making GBS threads on overrated food personalities.

In game news, anyone try Par for the Dungeon? If I have a chance to play the demo today I will, but it comes out tomorrow. This YouTube review makes it seem real interesting.

https://youtu.be/o9e_6arMasA?si=T0Jod2DbZgIIiolh

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

funkmeister posted:

Valve went bankrupt. We are free.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Roboquest is coming out of Early Access on November 7th. :dudsmile:

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

tripwood posted:

I'm playing Solasta and the voice acting is so drat cheesy. Kinda refreshing tbh.

It's so amateurish, it's really endearing. I like how they actually write how people talk sometimes. Like they will ask someone a question "Do you know how to get inside?" and instead of the "I have spent 25 years studying to bilobs of the nooffoo clans and can tell..." or some other fantasy gibberish they just answer with "Yes". It's like, they forgot to hand this scene to the writer, and just did it themselves.

Please let us know if you ever get to the green dragon :allears:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

John Murdoch posted:

Neat!

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

funkmeister posted:

Same as it's always been: rampant accumulation of games, hours played and wishlists past the point of logic.

Speaking of: so ends the October 2023 Next Fest demo extravaganza! Many thanks to everyone for pitching in impressions, especially big hitters The 7th Guest and Jossar. That was a busy little period: it's almost weird to get back to playing regular full games once again. Before that, though, I'm trying to trim my wishlist down since it hit 700 entries: so far I've got it down to 600 and trying to hopefully get to 200, or god forbid, 100. It will be a test of will: any hints or tips would be welcome. What are other people's wishlists like?

Anyway, after some review and considerations, if I were to sum up my impressions, it would be as thus:

S TIER - very highly anticipated, very impressive, fits my personal inclinations

Ghostrunner 2, Laika Aged Through Blood, The Burst, The Talos Principle 2, Go Mecha Ball, The Enjenir, Enshrouded, STAR OCEAN THE SECOND STORY R, Sovereign Syndicate, Last Train Home

A TIER - solid quality games, not as much of a priority or flashy as above entries but still great, perhaps not an exact fit for me but others may like more

GUNHEAD, Rabbit and Steel, The Last Exterminator, TEVI, EMPTY SHELL, American Arcadia, ARTIFICIAL, Sorceress, Cobalt Core, Warhammer Age of Sigmar Realms of Ruin, Yellow Taxi Goes Vroom, The Thaumaturge, Another Crabs Treasure

B TIER - games that have some interesting qualities enough to continue to watch but are a bit of an unproven risky bet or leaning towards generic

RoboCop Rogue City, The Last Faith, SENTRY, Peripeteia, Bootstrap Island, Kristala, Interregnum Chronicles False Prophet, Gangs of Sherwood, Crime Scene Cleaner

John Murdoch posted:

Yessssssss I've been waiting on that one for a long time!

FutureCop fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Oct 17, 2023

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

ninjoatse.cx posted:

It's so amateurish, it's really endearing. I like how they actually write how people talk sometimes. Like they will ask someone a question "Do you know how to get inside?" and instead of the "I have spent 25 years studying to bilobs of the nooffoo clans and can tell..." or some other fantasy gibberish they just answer with "Yes". It's like, they forgot to hand this scene to the writer, and just did it themselves.

Please let us know if you ever get to the green dragon :allears:

I love my solasta dorkuses

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Kennel posted:

Valve went bankrupt. We are free.

That just means we gotta buy even more games to save Valve

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.

sebmojo posted:

I love my solasta dorkuses

I'm rolling Gnome Bard, Dwarven Paladin, Half-Orc Barbarian and super ugly green Dragonborn Monk with the voice acting chops of someone's mom. It's great.

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man

kazil posted:

I'm doing my part

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

FutureCop posted:

Before that, though, I'm trying to trim my wishlist down since it hit 700 entries: so far I've got it down to 600 and trying to hopefully get to 200, or god forbid, 100. It will be a test of will: any hints or tips would be welcome. What are other people's wishlists like?

I feel like I bought a lot of games recently so it got trimmed down a bit in that sense rather than the intended "cutting things out" one, but 79 games. I guess the secret is after a couple of times of a game being on a lowest possible price sale, I look at it and ask myself: "Am I ever going to buy this?" If yes, that's usually the sale I buy it on. If not, I toss it off the wishlist.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The key is to buy one game at a time and play it right away, then refund it if it doesn't grab you enough to keep playing within an hour or two. I've managed to only actually buy like 6 games all year long this way and they're all bangers :hellyeah:

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

kazil posted:

Gabe's just going to spend the money on more submarines while letting the company die

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Jossar posted:

I guess the secret is after a couple of times of a game being on a lowest possible price sale, I look at it and ask myself: "Am I ever going to buy this?" If yes, that's usually the sale I buy it on. If not, I toss it off the wishlist.

I'm pretty much like this with the addition that my interests are broad but specific (in that I am at least interested in most genres but the ones of any given genre that actually grab my attention are relatively few), and that if I look back at my wishlist and can't promptly remember why something is on there it's almost certainly going to get pruned, especially if glancing at the store page doesn't refresh my interest. So my wishlist is currently at 35 and even that feels kinda bloated to me. Also a lot of big-name games never go on there because Steam is going to make sure I know when they are on sale anyway.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

FutureCop posted:

It will be a test of will: any hints or tips would be welcome. What are other people's wishlists like?

My wishlist is for games that I want to make a decision on later. Right now I've got a little over 1100 entries there, but more than half of those are prerelease or early access, which I keep hidden. I do some pruning during major sales, particularly among games that have been there for over a year, but mostly I just keep stuff on there so I get reminders when they release or go on sale.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

ultrafilter posted:

My wishlist is for games that I want to make a decision on later. Right now I've got a little over 1100 entries there [...]

That's a typo, right?

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
Clearly was supposed to be 11,000

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
Mine is like ~150 games. I put anything that even I'm even slightly interested on it. Definitely over half of it is just poo poo people talk about in this thread. I have it sorted by discount always, and just take a look once in a while. Eventually if I see one on deep discount often enough and never feel compelled to get it, I'll remove it, but that takes way longer than it should, really.

A friend commented on it because he took a look at it during the holidays. Had to tell him I put stuff I don't actually want on there all the time.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
My wishlist is somewhere up around 700, but to be fair I use it as the store. Like I sort it by discount and that's how I shop on Steam, aside from a glance at the front page now and again.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Future Video GamesUK posted:

My wishlist is somewhere up around 700, but to be fair I use it as the store. Like I sort it by discount and that's how I shop on Steam, aside from a glance at the front page now and again.

Yeah, I tend to operate the same way - albeit with a much slimmer wishlist. I tend to check isthereanydeal once a wishlisted game I want is on sale though, just to see if I can shave a bit more off (then activate it on Steam anyway, to get the best of both worlds!)

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

TIL pubg is a) called that now, and b) free to play? When did that happen?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Serephina posted:

That's a typo, right?

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

I use my wishlist as a slow charcoal filter where things sit until they go on deep enough discount that I either buy it immediately or finally acknowledge that I was never going to buy Wartales at any price despite how theoretically up my alley it sounded when I added it two years earlier. I have a feeling Tunic, Dinkum, and Cassette Beasts are going to go this way soon.

Part of my quest to cut back on buying well-regarded games that would've absolutely consumed young-me but that old-me can't be bothered for more than a few hours max.
(You don't need to own every Overwhelmingly Positive game on steam you idiot)

That's not nearly as crazy as I was revving up to say it was. Not a bad tactic, but it means you miss out when a Sex With Hitler sequel drops

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Oct 17, 2023

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

StrixNebulosa posted:

TIL pubg is a) called that now, and b) free to play? When did that happen?

Early last year I think?

And the name is even dumber. It's not just PUBG it's PUBG: Battlegrounds, presumably because there will eventually be a further expanded PUBG universe or something.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

:stare:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Anno posted:

Early last year I think?

And the name is even dumber. It's not just PUBG it's PUBG: Battlegrounds, presumably because there will eventually be a further expanded PUBG universe or something.

PlayerUnknown's PUBG: Battlegrounds, For Personal PC Computers

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Squiggle posted:

I use my wishlist as a slow charcoal filter where things sit until they go on deep enough discount that I either buy it immediately or finally acknowledge that I was never going to buy Wartales at any price despite how theoretically up my alley it sounded when I added it six months earlier.

Part of my quest to cut back on buying theoretically/critically-great games that would've absolutely consumed young-me but that old-me can't be bothered for more than a few hours max.
(You don't need to own every Overwhelmingly Positive game on steam you idiot)

That's not nearly as crazy as I was revving up to say it was. Not a bad tactic, but it means you miss out when a Sex With Hitler sequel drops

I rely on this thread to keep me up to date with all the latest Hitler hentai news.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

I rely on this thread to keep me up to date with all the latest Hitler hentai news.

I read that as permission, if not encouragement

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

https://www.fanatical.com/en/pick-and-mix/build-your-own-frightmare-bundle
Build your frightmare bundle on fanatical: 3 for $4.99/5 for $7.99/7 for $9.99

quote:

Home Sweet Home
Obey Me
Escape the backrooms
Vampire Dawn 3
Hands of Necromancy
Escape from Naraka
The Coma: Deluxe edition
Dread X collection 5
Dread X collection the hunt
Daymare:1998
Hellpoint
Red Tape
The beast inside
Death of the Mark
House
Smile for me
Dread X Collection 2
Dread X collection
Dread X collection 3
Cardaclysm

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Hwurmp posted:

PlayerUnknown's PUBG: Battlegrounds, For Personal PC Computers

Surely they must have figured out who he is by now?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
It's meant to represent and honor every unnamed player who's died on the battlegrounds.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Schwarzwald posted:

It's meant to represent and honor every unnamed player who's died on the BGs.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Anno posted:

Early last year I think?

https://pubg.com/en/game-info/pubg-universe

it already exists and The Callisto Protocol was supposed to be part of it until they literally ripped out as many PUBG connections as they could at the last minute making the already terrible plot even more confusing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

What a great timeline for a fictional universe.

Early 1400s: The world's first contract killer is born
1965: A war ended in the Soviet Union. There were so many bodies they had to burn them all. One man survived.
1983: A notorious criminal was filmed killing a bunch of people while he escaped prison, everyone wanted to see the film!!
1994: Someone decided to drop 100 people on an island and make them fight
Early 2000s: A golden age when 4 new maps were added to the rotation for the island fight.
2100s: The world is flooded and rich people have nice homes. There's wealth disparity. But the BG remains... and yes it's still legal.