Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Doltos posted:

I'm not reaaaaally sure Frankenhooker's ending gag makes it a lgbt movie

but it doesn't not make it a queer movie! :science:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I’ve been slowly working my way through the Masters of Horror anthology and just got to Imprint

This is some loving unbelievably twisted poo poo!

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

but it doesn't not make it a queer movie! :science:

It does make me realize how under represented lgbtq is in horror somehow. It was hard to think of some movies there outside of Chucky and The Haunting.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

It isn't underrepresented at all if you understand queerness as allegory and history instead of solely looking for explicit representation.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
suddenly in the dark is good lgbt horror

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

It isn't underrepresented at all if you understand queerness as allegory and history instead of solely looking for explicit representation.

this is why a lot of modern discourse around subtext being flatten to just "queer baiting" annoys me to no end

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

I dunno I find it really hard to find queerness as an allegory in some of the films on your list but how you interpret them is part of what makes horror so great, especially knowing the background of some directors. I really don't see anything in Re-Animator or From Beyond or Frankenhooker or some of the other things listed but I didn't grow up queer so who knows.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Is there anything out there that could reasonably be described as "basically Miami Vice but horror"?

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Penda's Fen is a Great Gay Movie

Snooze Cruise posted:

suddenly in the dark is good lgbt horror
Seconded

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

feedmyleg posted:

Is there anything out there that could reasonably be described as "basically Miami Vice but horror"?

Manhunter

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Manhunter is the best thing that came out of that lovely series of books (until Hannibal tv came along)

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

There’s also the Manhunter-esque Miami Vice ep “Shadow In The Dark” (S3 ep6)

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DX__Evk2sI

there is no way this movie can be as good as this cast list looks

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

That’s not a list of actors who are terribly particular about what movies they appear in.

In fact I’d argue that as a rule if a horror film has 3 or more names like that on its cast list you can pretty much guarantee it sucks. The more names the worse it gets.

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

That's just Slashers but in English and with the internet stapled to it.

Also, like 100 other murder game show stories.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

STAC Goat posted:

That’s not a list of actors who are terribly particular about what movies they appear in.

In fact I’d argue that as a rule if a horror film has 3 or more names like that on its cast list you can pretty much guarantee it sucks. The more names the worse it gets.

Yea but that's why they do it. I'll watch that garbage and they know it. What, I'm supposed to not watch a movie that has Jeffrey Combs and Tony Todd in 2023?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I just judge by the digital camera shot at shoulder level for Netflix but that movie is going to be terribly great

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Basebf555 posted:

Yea but that's why they do it. I'll watch that garbage and they know it. What, I'm supposed to not watch a movie that has Jeffrey Combs and Tony Todd in 2023?

That’s probably part of the problem. A producer who knows his money is better spent paying a bunch of c list cult favs than hiring a competent cast or crew or writer or director or anything. Why bother when you can just sell a movie on cameos?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Snooze Cruise posted:

Manhunter is the best thing that came out of that lovely series of books (until Hannibal tv came along)

You didn't even like Silence Of The Lambs?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Between here and the challenge thread there have been some absolutely wild takes coming out lately.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’d absolutely take Jeffery combs over any Oscar winner any day of the week.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
I wish there was a recording of that Jeffery Combs one man show where he played Edgar Allen Poe, it always sounded interesting to me

There’s probably a copy out there somewhere

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Deadite posted:

I wish there was a recording of that Jeffery Combs one man show where he played Edgar Allen Poe, it always sounded interesting to me

There's clips and it's awesome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUHYscI2c3Q

It's called Nevermore and he's so good even though I dont know how Edgar Allen Poe is supposed to be played

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I assume this is the usual Tony Todd movie where he's in it for 5 minutes

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Opopanax posted:

I assume this is the usual Tony Todd movie where he's in it for 5 minutes

Based on the credits that's correct, everyone else has a full credit, he gets the "and Tony Todd" afterthought credit.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

damien leone on the FX, jeffrey combs in a lead, i mean, i'm definitely going to watch the gently caress out of it

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

TOOT BOOT posted:

You didn't even like Silence Of The Lambs?

yeah that movie is just a massive eye roll to me. i find most serial killer stuff in the media kinda trite, am not all that impressed with anthony hopkin's performance, and if im going to watch something transphobic i rather make it fun like sleepaway camp

yay angela! woo!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Schwarzwald posted:

This is excellent stuff but I just learned that every single mall I used to visit in my home town closed over covid and are being torn down and that has weirdly colored my watch of The Rolling Giant.

alf_pogs posted:

check out Dan Bell's Dead Mall series on YouTube, it's just meandering through closing or closed malls and is very relaxing

Gonz posted:

Seconding the love for Dan Bell’s Dead Malls and general abandoned spelunking series. His whole channel is just fantastic.

So, this isn't one of Dan Bell's, but if you dug The Rolling Giant you might want to take some time and watch this dead mall video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lmAHZcpwx0

A certain handsome face shows up around 7:15.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Knife+Heart is legitimately a top tier giallo.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Deadite posted:

I got to see it live twice, once in the front row. They warned the first row audience that you may get spit on during his more passionate rants. It was awesome. I still have the playbill somewhere too.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Origami Dali posted:

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Origami Dali posted:

If you don’t like giallo, I would always recommend Knife+Heart to you.

Because I don’t really like giallo, and Knife+Heart loving rocks.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
fixin to watch Knife+Heart

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I want to make a serial killer movie, but with my own guy with all the stuff I find interesting so I can get into the nitty gritty without being exploitive

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Schwarzwald posted:

So, this isn't one of Dan Bell's, but if you dug The Rolling Giant you might want to take some time and watch this dead mall video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lmAHZcpwx0

A certain handsome face shows up around 7:15.

I like the guy who posted this in the comments going "so did this Kane guy get his own footage of this mall a while ago? It's been demolished for years."

Doltos posted:

fixin to watch Knife+Heart

Watching it now, it's on Tubi!

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Doltos posted:

he's so good even though I dont know how Edgar Allen Poe is supposed to be played
EAP was from Baltimore so I imagine its like if Stavros Halkias decided to go into horror instead of comedy

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Shrecknet posted:

EAP was from Baltimore so I imagine its like if Stavros Halkias decided to go into horror instead of comedy

EAP laughing while writing the rats are in the walls and they come out at night to gently caress his dad

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Discotek just announced they're bringing over BELA: Humanoid Monster, and Fatal Frame Zero on Blu-Ray(former in December, the latter next year), will update if they announce anything else horror relevant in this stream

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

feedmyleg posted:

Probably depends on what you mean as Miami Vice but Night of the Comet?

Stretching the genre a bit but Bad Lieutenant: Port of New Orleans?

Zachack fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Oct 17, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

drrockso20 posted:

Discotek just announced they're bringing over BELA: Humanoid Monster, and Fatal Frame Zero on Blu-Ray(former in December, the latter next year), will update if they announce anything else horror relevant in this stream

And they're doing a 4K UHD+Blu-Ray combo pack for Belladonna of Sadness