Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
hootingtom... have you condemned yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
It's kind of hosed up to see the West helping Israel abuse Palestine for decades and then make opposition to Russia a precondition for sympathy for Palestine.

It doesn't take any knowledge or politics or whatever, just a bit of empathy.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Engorged Pedipalps posted:

How'd that happen? Just part of the close by forces that hamas whacked day 1?

I suspect that there were a few things that happened, but I have not read the Israeli newspapers closely enough to really flesh this out. Mostly, I think there were two distinct phases of fighting just like 1973.

First, the Israeli units closest to the border were attacked. This would be where the bulk of the reservists on the list would seem to be killed, as well as the border services agency people. I would guess this is where the logistics, intelligence and headquarters units suffered their losses too. My rationale is that the soldiers are clustered by units with known bases there, and Hamas shot video.

It’s possible that local commanders organized counterattacks or decided to check out what was going on, like that Lt from a tank brigade, the Captains and Majors from units further away in the Southern Region Command.

Around this same time, I’m guessing the local Israeli police departments suffered their losses, they were probably just responding to calls to 911 or whatever.

Then, I don’t know what exactly the plan was here, but the paratroops, Army/Navy/Air Force Tier One teams, light infantry, their equivalent of Rangers, I get the sense they all responded but in a sort of uncoordinated action because whole teams were lost when they landed in the middle of an out of control situation.

What I had heard is, just like 1973, reservists were told to hole up and wait for rescue, which would work for a small localized raid, but there was no plan for a widespread crisis, or for the rescuers to rush into real opposition. Kind of reminds me of Gothic Serpent (Black Hawk Down) and Red Wings (Lone Survivor).

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

mags posted:

watch joe biden start a loving draft

I would love to be drafted so that I could frag an officer

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

FirstnameLastname posted:

really want an asymmetrical guerilla game where u can be a cool insurgency too bad woke game industry made donkey kong Bi

xcom 2

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

hootingtom... have you condemned yet?

Condemn who?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Mister Speaker posted:

I do find it difficult, the flag thing, because I recall the time someone at the antivaxx convoy had a nazi flag and the general discourse was that old chestnut "if you're not beating up the guy with the nazi flag you're at a nazi rally." It's not the same level of evil, I think, but i do find it difficult to reconcile since essentially the same kind of tacit acceptance is happening when someone rocks a Russian flag at a Palestine rally.

But I suppose I could throw it back in his face by saying "I saw one Azov flag at a Ukrainian protest so now I think all Ukrainians are nazis." I realize this is sort of a :canofworms: ITT and I'm showing my rear end as also being a bit lib-brained but that's where I'm at.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Speleothing posted:

I would love to be drafted so that I could frag an officer

yeah a draft in a post mass shooting era would mean pure shenanigans once a ton of totally well adjusted 18-24 year olds got to the rifle range

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

lmao incredible

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Adenoid Dan posted:

It's kind of hosed up to see the West helping Israel abuse Palestine for decades and then make opposition to Russia a precondition for sympathy for Palestine.

It doesn't take any knowledge or politics or whatever, just a bit of empathy.

anyone making an argument like that is pro carpet bombing children hope that helps in future discussions with them

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

thread title

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Mister Speaker posted:

Yeah, one Russian flag. For context, the dude is Ukrainian and hugely anti-Russian, he even went over there with a press pass and got embedded with some fighters. He said "seeing people take selfies with the guy holding the orc flag was all I needed to see to discount the entire movement," and since then most of the content he's been sharing in the chat has been bullshit blaming Egypt and Hamas and everyone except Israel.

I do find it difficult, the flag thing, because I recall the time someone at the antivaxx convoy had a nazi flag and the general discourse was that old chestnut "if you're not beating up the guy with the nazi flag you're at a nazi rally." It's not the same level of evil, I think, but i do find it difficult to reconcile since essentially the same kind of tacit acceptance is happening when someone rocks a Russian flag at a Palestine rally.

But I suppose I could throw it back in his face by saying "I saw one Azov flag at a Ukrainian protest so now I think all Ukrainians are nazis." I realize this is sort of a :canofworms: ITT and I'm showing my rear end as also being a bit lib-brained but that's where I'm at.

this guy sounds like they were never pro-palestine and the fact that he doesnt blame israel for anything is even worse

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

what if I don't really support Russia or Ukraine but support Palestine and hate American imperialism? does that mean I'm like chaotic good? how does this work again?

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
Really looks like hezbollah are trying their best to not get involved

https://twitter.com/aga1nsta11oddz/status/1654119304814825475

could be wrong and end up with egg on my face

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Capital would never allow a draft to steal a generation of cashiers and wait staff.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
a political chart in which one quarter is labeled 'savvy media consumer'

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

you motherfucker lol

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

really want an asymmetrical guerilla game where u can be a cool insurgency too bad woke game industry made donkey kong Bi

the antistasi modded scenarios for arma 3

Aino Minako
Dec 16, 2007

Perpetual rage elemental

:kiss:

TheLemonOfIchabod
Aug 26, 2008
i need help replying to someone who thinks that the gaza genocide would end if hamas just released all the hostages and declared support for a two state solution

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

TGLT posted:

the antistasi modded scenarios for arma 3

it's good

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
it’s weird how the full-size version is able to trigger the “hey wait a minute” part of the brain, wish I understood anything about biology

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

mila kunis posted:

cuckbollah

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

hubris.height posted:

a political chart in which one quarter is labeled 'savvy media consumer'

wakanda forever!

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

HallelujahLee posted:

this guy sounds like they were never pro-palestine and the fact that he doesnt blame israel for anything is even worse

Yeah I think you're right. He and a couple of other guys in the chat post virtually nothing about the conflict but military dickwaving; I've gotten a "gently caress Israel they shouldn't exist" out of one of them but he immediately went right back to talking about the 'military might' of the IDF, lmao.

I'm bummed out that the guy would take things this far but really only because I'm a bit worried that it might hurt my networking opportunities as a photographer (he's a really good pro photog who has taught me a lot of poo poo).

Cold on a Cob posted:

what if I don't really support Russia or Ukraine but support Palestine and hate American imperialism? does that mean I'm like chaotic good? how does this work again?

landerig

Mister Speaker has issued a correction as of 23:19 on Oct 16, 2023

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

Raskolnikov38 posted:

you motherfucker lol

idgi

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

TheLemonOfIchabod posted:

i need help replying to someone who thinks that the gaza genocide would end if hamas just released all the hostages and declared support for a two state solution

usually you can track down a home address with public info and send them a street view photo of their house

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

mila kunis posted:

The question becomes when Israel moves or can't sustain the tempo of its bombing campaign.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

russia is social darwinism?

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Mister Speaker posted:

Yeah I think you're right. He and a couple of other guys in the chat post virtually nothing about the conflict but military dickwaving; I've gotten a "gently caress Israel they shouldn't exist" out of one of them but he immediately went right back to talking about the 'military might' of the IDF, lmao.

I'm bummed out that the guy would take things this far but really only because I'm a bit worried that it might hurt my networking opportunities as a photographer (he's a really good pro photog who has taught me a lot of poo poo).

landerig

meh find others that arent losers like those

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

have you never played Freedom Fighters?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

whether or not they can actually beat Hamas (they can't), israel needs to be destroyed

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

mila kunis posted:

is this being reported anywhere?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Cold on a Cob posted:

What does this actually functionally mean, though? How are you defining "support"?

It doesn't matter whether you think the countries are "good" or not - it's about the material outcome you think is best (and in a war between nations, it can only go one way or the other).

Hatebag posted:

russia is social darwinism?

Thought it was pretty self-explanatory, but the chart is saying that "supporting the combination of Russia and Israel is "social-darwinism" (etc, for each other combination)

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

squint at it, and a second visual will hit your brain

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

HallelujahLee posted:

is this being reported anywhere?

old tweet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38