Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

fishing minigame

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Corpse pinata

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

God

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Yep, that mod is completely pointless for anything other than solo AFK grinding.

I honestly can't imagine actually playing an EDF game all the way through solo. Multiplayer chaos and scaling is such a fundamental part of the experience for me that removing that would feel like the game was broken somehow.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
If you are going to solo grind, there is also the one hit kill cheat as well.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
FIRE THE REQUIEM GUN

edit: In case anyone wants to sift through gigabytes of unsorted voice clips, someone dumped 4.1's entire voice library on google drive https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1gYW7WKJH_rBaq1yjaYstCKOYj3xIcS9j

ChickenHeart fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Oct 15, 2023

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Kanos posted:

Yep, that mod is completely pointless for anything other than solo AFK grinding.

I honestly can't imagine actually playing an EDF game all the way through solo. Multiplayer chaos and scaling is such a fundamental part of the experience for me that removing that would feel like the game was broken somehow.

Ironically, cheat engine works just fine. The tables there work on multiplayer without issue... I would not abuse the other things, of course, but having a hotkey combo to turn on the loot grab at the end works just fine.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

ChickenHeart posted:

FIRE THE REQUIEM GUN

edit: In case anyone wants to sift through gigabytes of unsorted voice clips, someone dumped 4.1's entire voice library on google drive https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1gYW7WKJH_rBaq1yjaYstCKOYj3xIcS9j

I love how that sounds like some hick farmer just spit out his chew wad to say that.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

Kanos posted:

Never done multiplayer on EDF, it's much better without random morons (including me).

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
edf mp is usually very chill, even with randoms. 5 still has a very active player base.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
I have no interest in your reasonable and sensible views!

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
You can't solo Inferno which makes EDF unplayable :colbert: I'm kidding, I need to play EDF5 more because I only ever picked Marine

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Actually, that reminds me.

Does EDF6 Air Ranger have long range options that aren't total rear end? I started doing an Air Raider replay on 5 now that 6 has been announced, which ended the second I realized I would have to take down dropships with a Limpet Sniper.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
dropships are pain as a solo air raider. there are non-limpet options, such as mechs, tanks, turrets, etc. but while they can work, none of those are very good at killing dropships.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Blattdorf posted:

You can't solo Inferno which makes EDF unplayable :colbert: I'm kidding, I need to play EDF5 more because I only ever picked Marine
Inferno DLC is more of an endurance run. Base Inferno is lol.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

BisbyWorl posted:

Actually, that reminds me.

Does EDF6 Air Ranger have long range options that aren't total rear end? I started doing an Air Raider replay on 5 now that 6 has been announced, which ended the second I realized I would have to take down dropships with a Limpet Sniper.
Missile turrets on mechs. Park it under the ship if it doesn't move.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Turrets on Air Raider are part of my build every time so now I have to make hard choices! I loved the gunship attacks in EDF5 as well, especially the higher level gatling gun ones. No ailen could escape my sight!

Does air raider pick up any cool stuff to make up for the lack of turrets? Especially for underground missions.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Levantine posted:

Turrets on Air Raider are part of my build every time so now I have to make hard choices! I loved the gunship attacks in EDF5 as well, especially the higher level gatling gun ones. No ailen could escape my sight!

Does air raider pick up any cool stuff to make up for the lack of turrets? Especially for underground missions.
P. Sure domeone upthread was talking about the new Drones being the go to for cave missions and such.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

there is no reason to use ZE-GUNs in 5 if airstrikes are available

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Hwurmp posted:

Duct-taping rocket launcher turrets to vehicles/mechs is hilarious though.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I joined the EDF fanbase with EDF 4.1 so never saw the older games. Played on the PS4.

I tried today Earth Defense Force: Insect Armageddon on PC, that I think is a older game. Maybe?

Is interesting because the graphics are more integrated. The graphic experience is more coherent. Instead of linear texture smoothing, the textures seems render in nearest mipmap, and feels more detailed and the geometry more complex.. Is probably the other way around, but since is not linear texture filtering, more details are visible.

A lot of stuff that where kinda weird but I took for granted in EDF 4, are more logical here. Like the difference between health boxes and armor boxes. Here in EDF:IA the health box is small and he weapons caches have a different model, more complex and bigger. It makes more sense!

Also the intro actually have more through put into it, with a scene where we are the gunman guy from a chopper, until it lands to continue the operation with boots on the ground.

Is also visible the parts where EDF4 is a upgrade. If I remember correctly the air raider can carry much more weapons (or thats how I remember it) and they got rid of the reloading minigame (that I hate).

Is kinda like Insect Armageddon is playing the game more straight, and EDF4 took the idea to new height but also embraced the absurd.

Sandepande posted:

Never done multiplayer on EDF, it's much better without random morons (including me).

I always play coop games with randoms.

In EDF is very random. Sometimes you are testing a new weapons that you are not really versed. And you become a vile person that ruin everyone fun and you end the mission embarased of yourself and feeling you must personally apologize every EDF player.

Other missions you are everyone hero.

And other missions is pure magic, such a mission where 3 air raiders combine their powers and paint the entire sky red forever deleting the top north of the map in a string of fireworks to a level not seen previusly by human eyes.

And in other games you play with literal god players that you feel are carrying you to victory by pure skill or OP suff.

But is more good games than bad games. And yea, some of the bad games is because people like me.

Tei fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Oct 16, 2023

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Night10194 posted:

One of the issues with IA is that it's winking at the camera when EDF's charm has been your commander giving a fiery speech and ending with yelling SO STICK IT TO THEM without a hint of irony.

This is the best I've seen it put into words.

Also, IA ends when the mothership shows up :argh:. A proper EDF would have you take on the mothership with whatever crew you'd rallied, and the EDF Command comms would gradually swing in tone like:
"We did our best, but it was too much for humanity..."
"What, you said someone is still fighting?"
"Look, it's them! Superspecialawesome One still has a chance!"
"YOU'RE DOING IT! YOU ARE GOING TO SAVE OUR PLANET!

All the while, you can barely hear them over the gunfire, explosions, screaming aliens, and each player spamming "EDF! EDF!"
Game of the loving century. What were we talking about, again?

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

edf mp is usually very chill, even with randoms. 5 still has a very active player base.

except for the weirdly omnipresent racist / nazi game room.

Theres always one and its always so blatant i dont know how it doesnt just get immediately banned.

But luckily we can just never join that room.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
EDF soldiers are the natural enemy of Nazis.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

ZeusCannon posted:

except for the weirdly omnipresent racist / nazi game room.

Theres always one and its always so blatant i dont know how it doesnt just get immediately banned.

But luckily we can just never join that room.

there's also the times when one person wildly sprays giant explosions on top of the other players, whether deliberately or because that's the only useful weapon they brought. it may or may not be deliberate trolling, but it's not much fun for the people on the receiving end. but well, that's any game with friendly fire.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Tei posted:

I joined the EDF fanbase with EDF 4.1 so never saw the older games. Played on the PS4.

I tried today Earth Defense Force: Insect Armageddon on PC, that I think is a older game. Maybe?

Only by a little. It's also one of the spinoffs that wasn't made the main EDF developer. (Iron rain also suffers a bit of the same tonal issue and being another company that doesn't seem to quite understand the humor.) 5 is a pretty good quality of life upgrade over 4.1 though. Though the infantry song is not quite as good. (Though that's like saying you have a preference of chocolate when they're both still loving chocolate.)

Always have your chat wheel set up properly though. 'EDF! EDF!' and 'Waaaaaaaah!' need to be within easy reach at all times.

Fake Name
Mar 6, 2009

"Han Solo, ha. If I'm around, you don't need that guy."

Shine posted:

EDF soldiers are the natural enemy of Nazis.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Hwurmp posted:

This is incredibly silly.

You should always be using turrets. ABC - Always Be Using Turrets.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I could have, for the cost of a weapon slot:

-3-5 lovely little deployable turrets that have like 100 bullets in the magazine and take a geological age to reload once they run out

OR

-A murderous aerial sky cannon that fires ten billion bullets that hit like the fist of god and reloads in 2 seconds

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Spring 2024 is so close yet so far away. I've already completed the game on Inferno on the PS5 with the japanese release but I want to shoot aliens with people on PC, in coop and with english text!

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

there's also the times when one person wildly sprays giant explosions on top of the other players, whether deliberately or because that's the only useful weapon they brought. it may or may not be deliberate trolling, but it's not much fun for the people on the receiving end. but well, that's any game with friendly fire.

This is true but as an air raider main i just accept this as karma for all the times i accidentally did this to others.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

*put ons armchair general hat*

Turrets are good at giving some omni defense around the air raider, but are easily flooded by a big wave.

Stairfail attacks are in the sweet spot to be cheap, shot cooldown, large area... to be spammed endleslly.

Sometimes you just want a direct attack force, against some walking frogs that you just want death just now. That would be a canon, or one of the better lasers.

But large air attacks can get you instantly through half the enemy forces. Then if all you have is a APC. You can run and gun.

If you really want to make a point, you equip at least one super unpractical weapon that is also epic has hell. Hopefully the other 2 guys pick some usefull weapons so you can shot a missile fat than the Apollo 11 rocket.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

the best missions are the ones where you can run three Phobos strikes, or maybe two Phobos and a KM6

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Getting blown up by your team's Air Raider is just the cost of having the power of this gun of light that can destroy even gods on your side. Most accept it graciously.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
If you can manage to thread the needle and fire a beacon between hundreds of bugs to hit the ranger in the middle of them, that was just fate.

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

Honestly after all the times I've fragged my pals with homing explosives locked onto enemies flung into them by my homing explosives, I can't complain.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

It's honestly very difficult to get killed by an Air Raider unless you're completely blind or not paying any attention at all in EDF5 because there are gigantic red glowing warning signs plastered all over the strike zones for an age before the attack actually comes in. It was way more likely to happen in 4.1 and older games where you had minimap warnings at best.

This doesn't help if the Air Raider is directly shooting you with gunship beacons or something, but if we're talking about intentionally and directly killing your allies anyone can do it.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Geist spam is still the worst for friendly fire

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
When i was a young air raider i would set my turrets up behind my team and think to myself "im helping"

Now when i do it i know its an execution

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
there are a few level ranges where wing diver's best weapon by far is an explosive launcher. i forget the exact names, but it is almost as good at killing bugs as it is killing teammates.