Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

AceOfFlames posted:

You'd think they'd wise up after the 4th or 5th supervillain lair. Or at least try to capitalize on it.

"Ok, so Mr. Freeze moved into the abandoned ice cream factory, Joker into the abandoned toy factory and Poison Ivy into the abandoned botanical gardens... if we were to create an abandoned bank, would we get a money themed supervillain to move in and then we could steal his money while Batman is beating him up?"

Would the supervillain repair the boarded up ATM? I live by an abandoned bank IRL, so this is important to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
I would love to see a modern day reinterpretation of Fu Manchu as a protagonist, or at least a good guy, working to oppose Western imperialism and battling thinly veiled colonist-heroes trying to steal cultural treasures and establish the opium trade.

I know it'd be a CCP propaganda piece like nothing else on Earth, but still.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
I mean a modern imagining is basically what they did in Shang Chi didn't they?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I would love to see a modern day reinterpretation of Fu Manchu as a protagonist, or at least a good guy, working to oppose Western imperialism and battling thinly veiled colonist-heroes trying to steal cultural treasures and establish the opium trade.

I know it'd be a CCP propaganda piece like nothing else on Earth, but still.

Maybe this is what you were referencing but battling western imperialism actually pretty much was Fu Manchu's whole deal. It's just that by early 20th century British standards this was villainous.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

The Moon Monster posted:

Maybe this is what you were referencing but battling western imperialism actually pretty much was Fu Manchu's whole deal. It's just that by early 20th century British standards this was villainous.

Yeah - I mean have the same general goal but framed as a good thing and with examples relevant to modern issues. Like, have some pith-helmeted mustached dickhead from the British Museum be a recurring villain.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Yeah - I mean have the same general goal but framed as a good thing and with examples relevant to modern issues. Like, have some pith-helmeted mustached dickhead from the British Museum be a recurring villain.

I could see a story about Fu Manchu residing in Hong Kong, opposing first the British and then the CCP.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

AceOfFlames posted:

You'd think they'd wise up after the 4th or 5th supervillain lair. Or at least try to capitalize on it.

"Ok, so Mr. Freeze moved into the abandoned ice cream factory, Joker into the abandoned toy factory and Poison Ivy into the abandoned botanical gardens... if we were to create an abandoned bank, would we get a money themed supervillain to move in and then we could steal his money while Batman is beating him up?"

Eh, the money-themed supervillain would use defunct currency making the whole plan pointless. Or just be like the one villain from Ghost in the Shell: SAC that had basically a machinegun or shotgun that fired quarters.

DC already has money-themed supervillains, they're called CEOs. Lex Luthor, Derek Powers, those "friends" of Batman that were buying land on the cheap after a supervillain devastated it and then flipping it after the city repaired the damages...

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Now I'm reminded of Frugal Lucre, the supervillain from Kim Possible who prides himself on providing full-price menace on a cut-price budget.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I've mentioned it on the forums before but I enjoyed the Condiment King in Lego DC Super Villains who is furious that a critic complained about his restaurant, saying that the workers don't get tips there. "FOOLS! The Condiment King pays his workers a LIVING WAGE!"

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Condiment King is the animated series’ most culturally significant and best contribution to the Batman franchise. Him and Mad Stan.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Note also that they lost the rights to the Fu Manchu character in 1983 and danced around the issue for nearly three decades by using aliases or simply referring to him as Shang-Chi's father until they renamed him Zheng-Zu in 2010. I suspect that if they hadn't lost the rights they wouldn't have changed his name.
Alan Moore also used Fu Manchu in his League of Extraordinary Gentlemen comics but never referred to him by name

Probably, they still use their OC yellow peril character The Mandarin.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

This guy?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

verbal enema posted:

Wonder if this is a reference to the terrible terrible Fu Man Chu movie series

Goddamn those movies SUCK

Makes sense, the original source material sucked, too.

Almost every time I tried to read it I was like 'Wait, I get it - this is a satire, this is what racist are SUPPOSED to think, the author can't seriously have written this seriously!' but no, he did.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

And they literally only stopped making Fu Manchu books because the US government stepped in during WW2 and told them to knock it off because China is their ally now.

Mostly my favourite take is that he was the Spy in the original mercenary team of Team Fortress 2.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

AceOfFlames posted:

There already is a money themed super villain https://batman.fandom.com/wiki/Penny_Plunderer

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Alhazred posted:

There already is a money themed super villain https://batman.fandom.com/wiki/Bruce_Wayne

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

It was such a clever move in Iron Man 3 to have the Mandarin be a big spooky foreign bad guy (being played by a biracial British actor as a distraction from the actual bad guy). Also said actor is Ben "can play any race" Kingsley.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Rochallor posted:

It was such a clever move in Iron Man 3 to have the Mandarin be a big spooky foreign bad guy (being played by a biracial British actor as a distraction from the actual bad guy). Also said actor is Ben "can play any race" Kingsley.

Fuckin' Trevor. He also is in Shang-Chi.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

He's delightful in Shang Chi though, really plays to his strengths.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Apparently that goes off a short where it turns out there's a REAL Mandarin on top of that. Who may or may not be amused by Slattery's performance.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

mind the walrus posted:

Ftfy, although the Nazi poo poo is also super loving uncool.

God I hate Shrek.

What’s wrong with Shark? The original is making fun of a super mega corp.

And it still makes fun of every Disney movie made since.

Onions have layers.

Comstar has a new favorite as of 10:28 on Oct 21, 2023

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1zQHvvgXOs

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Comstar posted:

What’s wrong with Shark? The original is making fun of a super mega corp.

And it still makes fun of every Disney movie made since.

Onions have layers.

Probably because they overplayed and overpromoted it to hell and back during the 00s, that could burn out even the strongest of media veterans back in the day :shrug:

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Yeah I have a slightly irrational hatred of Shrek. It's emphatically fine if you really make me critique it devoid of all context, but I've been on the 'Shrek is trash' train for a long time because it always just seemed so middling with its comedy and animation and voice acting, yes I have heard Mike Myers' hilarious Scottish accent. They have some decent jokes but you kind of have to when there are 100 gags a minutes and a lot of them are stinkers.

But then I worked with this guy who absolutely adored Shrek. Like, he was aware of the memey internet perception of Shrek, but he genuinely loved the whole series and found it to be a heartwarming and powerful tale of acceptance. He also happened to be very obese with bad skin and hair and was always calling himself ugly like it was an objective fact to the protest of all the coworkers. And I'll be damned if hearing him talk about how Shrek champions inner beauty and individuality and finding people who love you for who you are didn't actually make me rethink the value of those movies. He was seriously one of the most wholesome people I've ever known and he just wanted to share the gospel of Shrek.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

I still think the first shrek is a good movie that still holds up, and the issue is with the later entries. The main thing that aged poorly is the bullet time joke, which was already overdone at the time of the release.

A Haunted Pug
Aug 10, 2007

i find Shrek's art direction repulsive

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

A Haunted Pug posted:

i find Shrek's art direction repulsive

Isn't that kinda the meta point of the 1st movie?

A Haunted Pug
Aug 10, 2007

that would be a bit like those games that poke fun at sewer levels but have one

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Shrek is a lot like Applebees or whatever US microwave food chain you like least-- there's nothing wrong with you if that's your low-rent treat and there's nothing wrong with you if it isn't, and if you happened to make some great memories at one that's sweet and no one should take that from you...

... but once it's treated as something more, whether it's being championed as very good food or a great hangout spot even "ironically," then that tells me you haven't been eating right and something's wrong.

And the rationales for why range from the nakedly pathetic to the creepily delusional.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Where else are you sitting down to get liquor at the mall?

God, can you imagine the regulars at the bar in the mall tgi Fridays?

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

I AM GRANDO posted:

God, can you imagine the regulars at the bar in the mall tgi Fridays?

I hear that's how you meet Allan Iverson.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

mind the walrus posted:

Shrek is a lot like Applebees or whatever US microwave food chain you like least-- there's nothing wrong with you if that's your low-rent treat and there's nothing wrong with you if it isn't, and if you happened to make some great memories at one that's sweet and no one should take that from you...

... but once it's treated as something more, whether it's being championed as very good food or a great hangout spot even "ironically," then that tells me you haven't been eating right and something's wrong.

And the rationales for why range from the nakedly pathetic to the creepily delusional.

I know a guy who considers Shrek his favorite movie. I also know for a fact that his favorite restaurant is the one physically closest to his house.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

When the first Shrek movie came out it angled itself as an edgier kids' movie, one that openly mocked the kind of mawkish sentimentality Disney was known for at the time. Of course its enormous success necessitated sequels, toys, clothing, video games, musicals, and thus does capitalism always subsume all critique unto itself.

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
Shrek came out on VHS when I was 3 and for the next 2 years it was the one tape I had my grandparents put on all day every day. We got the Shrek Christmas album and we had Shrek 3D on DVD which might be lost media now idk

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Don't be silly Shrek came out in 2001 and that was only like 10 years ago at most.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

As a westerner outside the US, Shrek was the defining moment for this kid in 2001. Nothing else happened that year.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
The worst part about Shrek is that every other animated film aimed at children tried to emulate its cynicism for decades after. Even Disney themselves tried being shrek-ish for a good long while.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I saw Shrek when I was 15, and it was the first movie that made me think that I might be getting too old for children's movies.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

i always thought ice age was better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

well why not posted:

i always thought ice age was better

Beg to loudly disagree.

That rat/squirrel/acorn loving thing shits me to no end. And I find the saccharine "we are all family" bullshit message stomach turning.

Also John Leguizamo's "Haha aren't I so wacky(tm)" character is grating from the first second and gets worse the more he is prominently featured. And I don't like the way they had to keep coming up with new ways to keep it all prehistoric, yet still moving forward in time.

But that is just my opinion. People can like whatever lovely cartoons they like.