Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

PainterofCrap posted:

Drying textiles & clothing outside on a clothes line gives good results, although this is decreasingly practical or reasonable for most people. Especially recommend it for bedding.

The only thing my neighborhoods HOA does is forbid air drying outside, even in backyards. I do a bit near the laundry machine but it isn't the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

trevorreznik posted:

The only thing my neighborhoods HOA does is forbid air drying outside, even in backyards. I do a bit near the laundry machine but it isn't the same.

Goddamn HOAs are just the dumbest loving things

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Corla Plankun posted:

I've been worrying about my vent for weeks due to this thread and posts like this (and the fact that I hadn't touched the vent in 3 years and my dryer dries like absolute poo poo!).

I finally crawled back there today to take care of it and it was clean as a whistle and there was absolutely no reason to be concerned at all.
So, at risk of :can: have you made sure that mesh has no residue buildup like we were discussing earlier? It can seriously "look" perfectly fine, but be practically plugged.
also,

Johnny Truant posted:

Goddamn HOAs are just the dumbest loving things

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
Audiophile discussions, but for dryers. And I bear my share of the blame :negative:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

trevorreznik posted:

If you are in Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Hawaii, Illinois, Indiana, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Nevada, New Mexico, North Carolina, Oregon, Texas, Vermont, Virginia or Wisconsin there are apparently state laws against HOA's banning line drying clothes.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Not sure what’s funnier, HOAs or state preemption of line drying rules and what that must mean for the Big Pharma allergy lobby.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Kylaer posted:

Audiophile discussions, but for dryers. And I bear my share of the blame :negative:
Huh?

If a dryer screen is plugged with basically transparent residue, you are going to absolutely impact drying ability.

It's not even remotely the same as magic optical cables or speaker wires.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Shifty Pony posted:

If you are in Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Hawaii, Illinois, Indiana, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Nevada, New Mexico, North Carolina, Oregon, Texas, Vermont, Virginia or Wisconsin there are apparently state laws against HOA's banning line drying clothes.

Interesting, thank you.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Hed posted:

Not sure what’s funnier, HOAs or state preemption of line drying rules and what that must mean for the Big Pharma allergy lobby.

Speaking of allergies, Maryland law also preempts all HOA rules (like weed ordinances) when used to forbid the cultivation of native plants/pollinator gardens.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

don't they understand how attractive a drying rack with someone's bras looks

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

kreeningsons posted:

Speaking of allergies, Maryland law also preempts all HOA rules (like weed ordinances) when used to forbid the cultivation of native plants/pollinator gardens.

Ironic because suburban Maryland is the natural, native habitat of the HOA

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Well thanks to this threat I have a super clean lint filter. It wasn't dirty, mind. The water flowed through with barely any effect. Probably because we haven't ever used more than a box of dryer sheets in 13 years.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

The only clothes of mine that ever get static-y are my plastic workout clothes. I keep one dryer sheet by the machines (a little packet of two came with the dryer) to give them a quick swipe if it's out of control, and that's all they need.

My new (last year) whirlpool dryer has a sensor that works and dries all my clothes on very low heat, or will do timed no-heat cycles, and can respin every 15 minutes without heat to prevent wrinkles. I wish it sang a song instead of using a screaming buzzer that makes me jump out of my skin, but it can be turned off easily. It's almost perfect in every way (so far).

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

my socks always stick to everything despite dryer balls, so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

actionjackson posted:

my socks always stick to everything despite dryer balls, so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong

It's because you touch yourself at night OP.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

As

Shifty Pony posted:

Use hot water, ideally some you've heated up on the stove hotter than what comes out of the tap. You need to basically melt the fabric softener a bit to get it off.
said, hot water along with some dish soap and light scrub with a cloth did the trick.

Here is a before and after pic. The before was actually after I tried the chemical method with some light scrubbing, the after was post being in the sink with a bit of dish soap and uncomfortably hot water. The chemical did "OK" but simple hot water and soap is way better.

I didn't need to heat the water over and above as I keep it quite hot right out of the water heater. No children so scalding isn't a big concern for us and if I scald myself its my own dumb fault.

I'm going to keep a closer eye on it and see how long it takes to build back up. This was about 5 years of 3-4 loads per week, but not with softener stuff in each... although probably the majority had either some liquid or a sheet..

The dryer actually still did quite well on auto setting, but I believe it was taking a bit longer over time, although our ambient humidity is usually quite low, drying was never really a huge problem either way. My largest load with a bunch of towels and heavy-ish/thick clothes probably take around 45 minutes.

I always use a low heat setting because god drat, the medium is really hot. I don't think I've ever used a setting higher than medium.

actionjackson posted:

I used to have some socks, I think they were polyester and they were *terrible*

I'm basically cotton sports type socks guy across the board. If I need dressy ones I just wear the black cotton ones. Much more comfortable too.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Bosch dishwasher fam: is there any reason I shouldn't be using the crystal dry every time I use the dishwasher? I've used it 3x since installing it and finally bothered to read the user guide and for some reason was surprised to learn that was not just the standard drying method. I guess I could just run a load without it on to see how that turns out but is there some downside to using it every time??

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I have an "Extra Shine" setting on our 5 year old 500 series which I presume is similar.

It takes more time and power. If you don't care about that, than I see no reason not to but I find the regular dry is decent enough. The only thing that I usually have to dry a bit more by hand is plastics (like Tupperware) or something with a raised rim which can capture the water. I very rarely use the setting myself.

Biggest issue I find with Bosch drying is taking the dishes out shortly after the cycle ends. I find leaving it in for a few hours (or better yet start the cycle before bed so it goes overnight) works pretty well, generally speaking.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

slidebite posted:

I used to have some socks, I think they were polyester and they were *terrible*

I'm basically cotton sports type socks guy across the board. If I need dressy ones I just wear the black cotton ones. Much more comfortable too.

these are all smartwool socks

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

actionjackson posted:

You're doing it wrong (they're supposed to be air dried - https://www.smartwool.com/discover/how-to-wash-wool-socks.html )

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

devicenull posted:

You're doing it wrong (they're supposed to be air dried - https://www.smartwool.com/discover/how-to-wash-wool-socks.html )

it sounds like tumble dry on low is ok ("While you can tumble-dry most of our Merino, we recommend air-drying to reduce your environmental impact and further extend the life of each product. Dry your wool clothes by laying them flat (hanging wet wool may distort the shape). If you prefer the dryer, tumble-dry on low setting"), but honestly there's no way i'm hanging up individual socks so eh

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Well I’ve been a dumbass and let my bathtub overflow. I don’t think a huge amount of water overflowed and I’ve dried everything on the surface, but some water managed to get under the vinyl flooring planks. If I apply force to the floor next to the toilet a little bit of water squirts out from what I assume is the edge of the plank (it’s tucked under the baseboard of the vanity and I can’t get to it). My current plan is to keep squeezing water out from under the planks and toweling it up until it hits diminishing returns and call a water damage repair company in the morning. I’ve got a box fan running in there now. I really don’t want mold under my flooring if possible. Anyone have any better suggestions?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

dehumidifier?

actionjackson posted:

Sorry boss, I've never put wool in a dryer.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
... other than wool dryer balls, which oddly are made for the dryer.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

actionjackson posted:

it sounds like tumble dry on low is ok ("While you can tumble-dry most of our Merino, we recommend air-drying to reduce your environmental impact and further extend the life of each product. Dry your wool clothes by laying them flat (hanging wet wool may distort the shape). If you prefer the dryer, tumble-dry on low setting"), but honestly there's no way i'm hanging up individual socks so eh
https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/pressa-hanging-dryer-with-16-clothes-clips-turquoise-10421217/

Only registered members can see post attachments!

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
We got one of those as well, except white.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

This feels like the best place to ask this. I'm shopping for a new washer and dryer. My current ones sit on a small concrete pad in my basement. My problem is that it seems like the pad is slightly too small for the washer I want to get, so I would need to extend it about 6". It's a really tiny amount of concrete, so I'd really like to just do this myself. Has anyone does this before? I'm wondering if I can get away with just applying a bonding agent, or if I should anchor some rebar into the slab, or even to the existing pad to tie it all together.

If this was a larger pad, I'd definitely put some rebar in, but 6" is so small I'm wondering if it's even worth it.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Sirotan posted:

Bosch dishwasher fam: is there any reason I shouldn't be using the crystal dry every time I use the dishwasher? I've used it 3x since installing it and finally bothered to read the user guide and for some reason was surprised to learn that was not just the standard drying method. I guess I could just run a load without it on to see how that turns out but is there some downside to using it every time??

It's still a heated dry, so if you have things that heated dry would ruin then the answer would be no. I don't know of any other downsides.

The zeolite crystals, to my understanding, turn moisture in to heat through ~chemistry~. Their website claims it can get up to 176F... so functionally the process is to pull the humid air out of the chamber with a fan, pass it over the crystals, and then push out hot dry air back in to the chamber.

We've been using it every load for the past few months since we got our Bosch 800. It works great.

With our old dishwasher we didn't use heated dry, partially because we used to have stuff that got ruined, and mainly because it's a huge energy waster. We would run it after dinner and then open it before bedtime and let things air dry overnight and unload in the morning. The crystal dry gets things drier than doing that, and that's without opening the dishwasher at night.

I would expect we could get even better results if we opened it after running the crystal dry cycle, but honestly the stuff that's left is water that collects in the deep parts of dishes, which probably wouldn't dry on its own in even the best circumstances.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Bird in a Blender posted:

This feels like the best place to ask this. I'm shopping for a new washer and dryer. My current ones sit on a small concrete pad in my basement. My problem is that it seems like the pad is slightly too small for the washer I want to get, so I would need to extend it about 6". It's a really tiny amount of concrete, so I'd really like to just do this myself. Has anyone does this before? I'm wondering if I can get away with just applying a bonding agent, or if I should anchor some rebar into the slab, or even to the existing pad to tie it all together.

If this was a larger pad, I'd definitely put some rebar in, but 6" is so small I'm wondering if it's even worth it.

Is it a standard thickness that you can get away with using concrete blocks?

Don't think you need rebar for a pad, there's not going to be much weight on it. If you do need to pour just build a wooden frame and fill it with quickcrete, level it off and let it dry.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Or cover the whole pad with a custom size wood cap.
Which is more effort? The one you don't choose will probably feel like it would have been easier and better.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

peanut posted:

Or cover the whole pad with a custom size wood cap.

That sounds like a very bad idea from a moisture standpoint.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Mustache Ride posted:

Is it a standard thickness that you can get away with using concrete blocks?

Don't think you need rebar for a pad, there's not going to be much weight on it. If you do need to pour just build a wooden frame and fill it with quickcrete, level it off and let it dry.

Ok. I did talk to a coworker and he suggested just some tapcons into the existing pad to help hold everything together, which is way easier than rebar, so I'll add a few of those then frame it and pour it. It's 3-1/2" tall, so I think I'd end up spending more time screwing around with blocks.

I don't want to cap it with wood since it's sitting under a washer, and while it shouldn't get wet, I don't want to risk it. Quikrete is probably cheaper anyway.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I had no idea you could wear merino wool socks multiple days. still seems gross though.

apparently my specific socks are 2/3 merino and so have different instructions (like warm instead of cold)

https://www.smartwool.com/shop/mens-casual-socks/everyday-barnsley-sweater-crew-socks-sw001880?variationId=003

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Oct 18, 2023

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Yeah, all of my hiking and outdoor socks are wool for that reason. It doesn't hold stink and odors like cotton or synthetics. They dry fast and don't hold moisture very well. I'll let them air out but they'll be fairly odor free for days on a hiking trip. Darn tough merino all the way.

For washing, I've always treated any wool item, no matter the blend, the same. Wash gently in cool water and air dry. Heat traditionally makes wool shrink so I've avoided it. Modern wool blend might be different but it's pricey so I play it safe.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

most everyday/outdoor merino socks on the market like darn tough, rei, smart wool, and the like are blended with enough synthetic fibers that they hold their shape fine in the dryer. The only 100% merino ones I’ve seen are dress socks from Nordstrom and those definitely should stay out of the dryer.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Jesus Christ the first quote for my boundary survey came in: $1600 for 1.5 acre lot

He said other guys would charge $3000 which I’m obviously going to verify.

Wouldn’t the parcel map in my deed fit the need here for determining my property lines? Like even if I buy a GPS and walk the lines myself?

I know I’m paying partially for a report which could be used in the event of anything legal, but as long as my cheap GPS puts my shed well within my property I don’t see an issue. Current zoning says 10’ away from any boundary so if I just take that into account maybe I’m fine? It’s not like I’m contesting a property line.

nwin fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Oct 18, 2023

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Lol

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Your GPS isn't going to get anything better than a few meters. GIS/aerial/"satellite" imagery with lot line overlays can easily be off by several feet, even from official sources.

Part of the survey, at that price, is likely going to be starting from a known-good point and using your actual, legal property boundary description to locate stuff.

All that said, lmfao we paid like $250 for a surveyor to mark the property corners/boundaries of our 1/4 acre lot. Granted we had it done by the same company that originally surveyed the land for the developer in 1999, and they had already had drawings and iron pipes buried, so it was pretty trivial.

I mean unless your permit requires a survey done and submitted/recorded, you could probably locate the buried iron pipes yourself if you know approximately where they are.

But that's assuming they exist, and also assuming that nobody has moved them.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
There's different kinds of surveys too. We had a 1500 quote then found one for 500, but I think it was a lesser product. Just the corners or something. Maybe that would work for you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

nwin posted:

Jesus Christ the first quote for my boundary survey came in: $1600 for 1.5 acre lot

He said other guys would charge $3000 which I’m obviously going to verify.

Wouldn’t the parcel map in my deed fit the need here for determining my property lines? Like even if I buy a GPS and walk the lines myself?

I know I’m paying partially for a report which could be used in the event of anything legal, but as long as my cheap GPS puts my shed well within my property I don’t see an issue. Current zoning says 10’ away from any boundary so if I just take that into account maybe I’m fine? It’s not like I’m contesting a property line.

I got a quote for $1800 to stake 4 corners of a 0.15 acre lot, from the same company that I already paid $500 to prepare a location drawing a year ago