Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Snapshot posted:

Keep an eye out for sales on that price too. Make magazine had a sale code for Black Friday last year, dropped my price to $90 CAD pre tax.

Absolutely, WORLD is in February or March 2024 and they’ll have a sale, probably 20% off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Hey, if I'm looking to get a metal part made from e.g. Xometry but I want a threaded hole, what's the industry-standard way to handle that?

Like, from a manufacturing perspective do I actually model a M3 threaded hole... or do I just mark it as "thread for M3 plz" when it comes to fabrication? What does the metal-part-making industry expect for this?

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Hole of the tap drill size and a call-out for thread size and spec. Don't draw the threads.

I usually do a solid line for the tap drill and a dashed line showing the major diameter of the threaded area. Tap drill size and depth should be called out in a dimension feature along with thread spec and depth.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Awesome, thanks. Glad to know drawing the threads isn't necessary.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

Hole of the tap drill size and a call-out for thread size and spec. Don't draw the threads.

I usually do a solid line for the tap drill and a dashed line showing the major diameter of the threaded area. Tap drill size and depth should be called out in a dimension feature along with thread spec and depth.

Speaking as a machinist: this ^

Drawn threads are the worst. Don’t draw in the edge breaks either.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

The Eyes Have It posted:

Hey, if I'm looking to get a metal part made from e.g. Xometry but I want a threaded hole, what's the industry-standard way to handle that?

Like, from a manufacturing perspective do I actually model a M3 threaded hole... or do I just mark it as "thread for M3 plz" when it comes to fabrication? What does the metal-part-making industry expect for this?

Xometry specifically will also ask for a drawing with thread callouts when you check the "there are threads in this part" box.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Ah, thanks. I've only ever gotten very plain metal parts from sheet metal with plain untapped holes at most.

I make stuff, but don't usually work with metal and I'm glad to learn the right way to handle that.

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder

Stay classy Autodesk

e: the body is blank, save for tracking pixels

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Speaking of threads and thread callouts, is there any way to add additional types beyond ANSI & Metric in Onshape? I need to designate a hole to be tapped as Tr 12 x 2 trapezoidal thread, but I can't find how or even if you can do that.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Just Winging It posted:

Speaking of threads and thread callouts, is there any way to add additional types beyond ANSI & Metric in Onshape? I need to designate a hole to be tapped as Tr 12 x 2 trapezoidal thread, but I can't find how or even if you can do that.

I’d model the tap drill size for it and just manually annotate on the drawing.

If you need to model the threads, which is usually not best practice, maybe this will help:

https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/4867/new-featurescript-thread-creator

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
All I need is the annotation, I wondered if there was something I'd missed somewhere that lets you put those details in the model, but for this admittedly very rare occasion, I'll just do that. Thanks!

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

That type of thing falls under MBD (model based definition) AKA PMI (product manufacturing information). Onshape does not have MBD which many folks are upset about.

I believe that’s included in the SOLIDWORKS Makers Offer, for folks who like to detail their personal projects :vv:

PS: Why do they call it a STEP file? because the real file is out of the picture

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Onshape nerds, is there really no McMaster Carr integration?

edit Yes, I know I can manually do it, but not one directly in Onshape?

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Yooper posted:

Onshape nerds, is there really no McMaster Carr integration?

edit Yes, I know I can manually do it, but not one directly in Onshape?

Seems not, but you can vote for the improvement request:

https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/11353/partner-with-mcmaster-carr-for-mechanical-parts

Some places like Open Builds have a document you can add to your account that’ll let you search for parts to add to an assembly.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
Google generally isn't that helpful with Creo questions, but it was extra sassy today...

:v:

Problematic Soup
Feb 18, 2007
Didn’t know this thread was a thing, but I am glad to see it. I have some questions for y'all. I have some experience with using Fusion, and my job uses Mastercam with a Verisurf plugin to run CMMs in our quality lab. Verisurf has some neat features and some more utility than generic Mastercam, and it uses .mcam files to run programs for inspecting stuff….but there is still a lot of generic Mastercam user unfriendliness built in. It has been a steep and annoying learning curve working with Mastercam coming from experience with Fusion. I have been doing a lot of beating my head against the wall to try and figure things out as far as making inspection models actually work properly.

Let me describe the workflow we typically use.

1. Get a few customer supplied models, typically CATIA and Step files for the same part. The CATIA models sometimes have most of the holes patterns in a given part removed, or they only have a few example holes included, but the CATIA files do have included GD&T modeling we want to keep. These files get converted over to .mcam to use as a base for making part inspection files.

2. Take multiple customer models to make a working Mastercam inspection file by either merging models, or cutting and pasting features from the .step file, with the ideal of keeping the modeled GD&T callouts, or sometimes just manually adding the GD&T requirements ourselves depending on who is doing the work, or if a given model is being annoying.

3. Inspect stuff!

Because Mastercam (and therefore Verisurf) is so surface driven, we typically use surface only models for building inspection plans. Verisurf tends to occasionally wig out when we try to use solids to inspect things, and I have had a helluva time trying to make patch surfaces that are inside holes. A lot of the time, if we have wireframe geometry around a hole or other inside the part feature, we can get the inspection plan to work even though we don’t have any modeled surfaces inside a lot of the holes that we are measuring. Is there any way to fix this in Mastercam, or good learning resources for Mastercam for surface editing specifically? The big thing is that I want to be absolutely sure that I am just patching up model errors and not changing any geometry.

I have used the Titan academy stuff to learn Fusion, and I am thinking about going back through and using the academy to study Mastercam. I suspected that he was extremely chud adjacent from his general vibe, so I’m not at all surprised about the whole “avoiding lockdowns by moving to Texas” thing. I work around enough folks in machining with similar or worse views that I pretty much can’t entirely avoid this stuff, so I tend to try and just not talk about anything political with most of my coworkers, but I also wouldn’t mind better resources that don’t make me want to hold my nose about this poo poo.

I will also say that one thing I appreciate about Titan Gilroy versus much of what I have encountered in my short time in this field is that he seems to be trying to encourage growth and learning, which is NOT the normal thing I see from many machinists, at least the ones in leadership positions I encounter. That has been incredibly frustrating to me when you have people who don’t want to do anything different than what they learned in the late 90s (or earlier).

And on a separate note, gently caress the Soldiworks 3Dexperience. I tried that crap, and never got it to run, and it seems like my laptop was not compatible with the software, which I only learned after purchase. There was no obvious place to try and get a refund, so I just initiated a chargeback with my credit card company, and Dassault was unresponsive enough that the chargeback went through.

Problematic Soup fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Oct 14, 2023

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Dassault use resellers for a reason, and it’s mostly because they’re not good at talking to customers or even like…caring about them. A lot of folks there in the CATIA channel were surprised to learn they had mass resellers at all.

I wish I had specific knowledge, but I do want to clarify something: are the CATIA files using model-based definition (MBD)/product manufacturing information (PMI) inside the 3D model? If so, it might be worth checking out if MasterCAM has toleranced based machining (TBM) capabilities. There’s even an interchange format, STEP 242, that brings all the PMI into a CAD-neutral format. Ideally it would automate some stuff.

Yeah, Titan sucks for being a CHUD and he seems to teach stuff well, which sucks.

I believe MasterCAM uses a reseller network, so it might be worth checking if your local reseller has any specific training? If they’re anything like the SOLIDWORKS reseller I work for, they should know their poo poo pretty well and have an idea of how to make the software do what you need it to/improve your process.

Problematic Soup
Feb 18, 2007
Yeah, the CATIA models we get have built-in MBD. It doesn’t always seem to play well with Verisurf on our end. I will see about our resellers having some idea about using STEP 242 or some other tricks to actually make this something we can use reliably instead of having to depend on the phases of the moon and reading goat entrails to make it work better.

Problematic Soup fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Oct 14, 2023

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Gosh, CATIA is so surface heavy too that they should have an un-knit (in Rhino it’s explode) to convert a solid into surface bodies that it may be a reasonable single step request to provide maybe a surface STEP or IGES file you can use with the MBD.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

I really need someone to build an Android tablet version of one of the major CAD programs. You can kinda use Fusion 360 via web if you have edu access, but it's not the same.

Give me Inventor (we use it in middle school robotics) or SW on my S8+ and I'll almost never need my laptop.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Onshape is insanely good on iPad with Apple Pencil, I have to imagine the Android version is similar.

The 3DX web design apps are extremely good on mobile as well, but I’ve only used these and Onshape on a Pixel Slate and iPad Pro.

The SOLIDWORKS UI elements they did when touchscreen Windows computer were The Next Big Thing are pretty heinous and I don’t think I’ve seen anyone using things like Sketch Ink in the wild. Picture related:

E: are you talking about using like Dex mode? That’d be pretty sweet.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

DeX mode or regular, either way. Having keyboard & mouse functionality when I can actually sit down with it would be great, but generally, I'm thinking about using the native touch + S-Pen.

I forgot about the web-based bits in 3DX, I'll have to sign in there and see how it works in FF mobile.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Yeah, if you’ve got 3D Creator, it’s well worth checking out. It’s a little counterintuitive that it’s still in browser on a mobile device, but I’ll take it.

If the software detects you’re on mobile, keep an eye out for an extra toolbar that pops up. It’s how you manage locking rotation, multiple clicks, and a few other things.

I really hope they figure out xDrawings and start building out the other tools to make it closer to an actual SOLIDWORKS or Onshape replacement, but it’s a good solid modeler right now.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

NewFatMike posted:

Yeah, if you’ve got 3D Creator, it’s well worth checking out. It’s a little counterintuitive that it’s still in browser on a mobile device, but I’ll take it.

If the software detects you’re on mobile, keep an eye out for an extra toolbar that pops up. It’s how you manage locking rotation, multiple clicks, and a few other things.

I really hope they figure out xDrawings and start building out the other tools to make it closer to an actual SOLIDWORKS or Onshape replacement, but it’s a good solid modeler right now.

I have to figure out how to get to the tools from my tablet without the Windows launcher (which, IIRC, runs as a webserver locally). None of the sw.com or 3dexperience sites get me to creator through my account page(s).

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

AlexDeGruven posted:

I have to figure out how to get to the tools from my tablet without the Windows launcher (which, IIRC, runs as a webserver locally). None of the sw.com or 3dexperience sites get me to creator through my account page(s).

Huh, does the 3D Creator role normally show up on your Windows computer? It should list all your roles no matter what, it just won’t display apps if they can’t be installed on that system.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

NewFatMike posted:

Huh, does the 3D Creator role normally show up on your Windows computer? It should list all your roles no matter what, it just won’t display apps if they can’t be installed on that system.

I'm not home, so I have to look and see what I actually see.

But any of the 3dexperience pages I hit are marketing and trying to sell me 3d creator.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

AlexDeGruven posted:

I'm not home, so I have to look and see what I actually see.

But any of the 3dexperience pages I hit are marketing and trying to sell me 3d creator.

Yeah, it can be pretty dire. If you click the orb "Compass" thing on your tenant and it looks like this you should be groovy anywhere.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Are you seeing that on a browser that doesn't have the launcher installed? That's what I'm trying to get to if I can.

Everything so far is marketing pages, even when I hit the orb. I'm guessing that's what is missing.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

AlexDeGruven posted:

Are you seeing that on a browser that doesn't have the launcher installed? That's what I'm trying to get to if I can.

Correct, it’s on my iPad.

Do you have this through a company account or the Makers Offer? If it’s through your company, you should have a unique login URL that’s something like R112XXXXXX, if it’s the Makers Offer you should be able to sign into https://www.solidworks.com/makers-cloud

There’s a public cloud where the ersatz forum is now that looks [i] exactly[/ i] the same as your company or makers tenant but doesn’t have your particular roles on there. Because the French were created to punish the earth.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

That's exactly what I needed. Nothing like putting poo poo where it's easy to access. The French strike again, lol.

Edit: Ok, that's pretty badass. When I get back to my desk, I'm gonna sync some of my current projects with the My3D Drive and dick around with them. My S8+ is more powerful than my doddering old Mac Book and will likely be more useful and portable. Especially since I'm nowhere near anything resembling a pro in SW, and unlikely for quite a while.

Thanks for your help!

AlexDeGruven fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Oct 17, 2023

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

:cripes:

This is dumb, obviously. I think you can import a file to 3D Creator from the 3D Drive, but if you want to use a file from 3D Creator in a SOLIDWORKS assembly (or the other way around) you’d have to open the origin file in SOLIDWORKS and save to 3DX. That’s the intended route if you want to gently caress around swapping between both, but they don’t have mutually visible feature trees for reasons.

3D Drive is, as one would know without any labeling or indicator whatsoever, only for non-CAD items like word documents or fonts that you’d need for SOLIDWORKS to render.

The absolute worst thing about 3DX is that there’s really good tools in there, it’s just behind dumb as hell CATIA interface designers.

E: I will say that every single time I start thinking the Kool-Aid might actually be a tiny bit yummy, one or a series of ostensibly like crazy simple questions come up here about the platform and I get to go “You know what guys, that is actually still bafflingly stupid” so thank you all for keeping me a little more sane.

NewFatMike fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Oct 17, 2023

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

That's it. That's the only mechanical drawing for this electronic component. You're supposed to design a copper footprint for a circuit board from that.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Yeah, I'm probably missing the terminology because I've been doing this away from my desk, but that's my plan. Open in SW, Save As to the non-local location, then access via web tools.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

AlexDeGruven posted:

Yeah, I'm probably missing the terminology because I've been doing this away from my desk, but that's my plan. Open in SW, Save As to the non-local location, then access via web tools.

No worries, they have both 3D Space (for CAD data) and 3D Drive (for everything else), so I just try to be super clear. I hope it’s a good time!

ryanrs posted:

That's it. That's the only mechanical drawing for this electronic component. You're supposed to design a copper footprint for a circuit board from that.

:shepface:

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

The key was realizing that drawing was cobbled together in ms paint; it's not a screenshot or export from their CAD software. You can tell because the pad shape is wrong for the bottom view, those should be longer than the top layer pads.

I cut Chinese companies some slack wrt their English documentation, but this is definitely not a language issue. I emailed them and they sent me an Altium file, which would probably have been handy if I used Altium.

I ended up buying the component and running it through a flatbed scanner.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Is Solidworks "supposed" to be able to add one STEP file's parts into another STEP file? Obviously it can be done easily enough with .SLDPRT but I'm working with some stuff that only outputs STEP.

edit: OK, seems like I have to open the second STEP file, highlight everything and Copy, then to back to the original file and Paste without closing the second file.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Oct 18, 2023

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

You should also be able to just open one STEP file in SolidWorks and drag the other straight from your file system into the open window.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
There's also an import solid body feature somewhere, you can bring multiple step files in as dumb solids and then add geometry from there.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Sagebrush posted:

You should also be able to just open one STEP file in SolidWorks and drag the other straight from your file system into the open window.

Tried that, but dragging the second STEP file right on to the open window of the first just makes a second separate project. But that copy-paste workaround seems to be doing the trick for now.

Also I'm loving how I need to rotate the imported object 180-degrees, so I use the "Move with Triad" rotation, the tooltip says exactly 180 with no decimal points, and then Solidworks goes "Yes sir, 180-degrees-ish!"

edit: OK, I can right-click on one of the Triad rotation thingies to get the 180-degree exact option, but still lol that manually dragging it and having it read 180 gives like 180.03 and fucks everything up

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Oct 18, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

You can also use assembly mating tools in the Move/Copy Bodies command if you just click the “constraints” button in the property manager.