Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

American McGay posted:

If their history of reusing old voice clips from the GameCube era in every new game is any indication Nintendo is incredibly cheap when it comes to these sort of things and now that they’ve freed themselves from the shackles of Chuck they’ll probably just pick some random cheap guy off Fiver for every new game (there’s a new Wario game coming out in a couple weeks with probably another random dude). They don’t want there to be a new “voice of Mario” in the videogames. They don’t want people thinking about that poo poo.

Sakurai mentioned in a Smash video that those games are still using the old N64 session recordings. They had a new voice line for Captain Falcon in the Min Min video. And he pointed out they've been sitting on that since the first game, and never used it before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

American McGay posted:

If their history of reusing old voice clips from the GameCube era in every new game is any indication Nintendo is incredibly cheap when it comes to these sort of things and now that they’ve freed themselves from the shackles of Chuck they’ll probably just pick some random cheap guy off Fiver for every new game (there’s a new Wario game coming out in a couple weeks with probably another random dude). They don’t want there to be a new “voice of Mario” in the videogames. They don’t want people thinking about that poo poo.

I think constantly changing the voice actors with each game would maybe get in the way of being able to reuse voice clips

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!
Not sure how I feel about Mario's new woke voice. He now says "Itsa He/Him Mario"

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Fighting Elegy posted:

Not sure how I feel about Mario's new woke voice. He now says "Itsa He/Him Mario"

it's so woke now that...get this...Yoshi is now Yothey!!!!!

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Dracula Appraiser posted:

Sakurai mentioned in a Smash video that those games are still using the old N64 session recordings. They had a new voice line for Captain Falcon in the Min Min video. And he pointed out they've been sitting on that since the first game, and never used it before.

it's so funny the things they just don't give a gently caress about while also doing demented creative poo poo concurrently. if they made a new F-Zero they'd probably still use the same announcer.wavs from the n64

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

That kind of makes me wonder if the next Smash Bros will still use Charles Martinet clips

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Larryb posted:

That kind of makes me wonder if the next Smash Bros will still use Charles Martinet clips

that reminds me, i know we've talked about a sequel for mario kart a number of times over the last couple of years, but what about a ssb sequel? i haven't heard anything about that. i have to imagine it'll come out on the next console, same with mk ix.

what would we even want in a new smash? i thought the last one was pretty much perfect, but i wouldn't call myself a hardcore smash guy or anything. more just casual button-mashing. did people have problems with ultimate at all?

e: for reference, the only hardcore smash guy i know thinks the original 64 game was the best, and thought ultimate was lacking, especially in handling and mechanics. is this a common thought? is he nuts? he's kind of nuts about other things, so...would be understandable.

abelwingnut fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Oct 17, 2023

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I mean, there’s been a Smash on pretty much every console since the N64 so it wouldn’t surprise me at least

Off the subject but are there any Ghost Houses in Wonder? That was always one of my least favorite parts of the 2D games

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

SSB Ultimate nearly killed Sakurai. If they make a sequel soon, I hope it is just iterative and not made from the ground up.

They will also make LOTS of people mad if they cut back on the roster, which seems kind of inevitable.

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!

abelwingnut posted:

what would we even want in a new smash? i thought the last one was pretty much perfect, but i wouldn't call myself a hardcore smash guy or anything. more just casual button-mashing. did people have problems with ultimate at all?

e: for reference, the only hardcore smash guy i know thinks the original 64 game was the best, and thought ultimate was lacking, especially in handling and mechanics. is this a common thought? is he nuts? he's kind of nuts about other things, so...would be understandable.

I don't think he's 100% nuts as a casual player. I haven't played 64 in a while but I have played the others in the last few years. The platforms in Ultimate just don't feel fun to me. It feels like platforms always disadvantage the player, so the best thing to do is just stay away from them, which is kind of messed up when Smash is supposedly a "platform fighter". I still like Ultimate and will play it the most, but that's because of the variety in the characters. There's definitely some depth that has been lost in other areas.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Where the gently caress is NES Remix Deluxe? :colbert:

It doesn't exist, but it should.

They figured you get the same experience by opening odd games in the NES and SNES app, playing it for about 30 seconds, and closing it

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
The way "pro" players play smash (any version) barely resembles normal folks playing it

Sort of like ... table tennis maybe

Anyway I don't think they should make a new smash. They could upscale graphics I guess but just keep adding to ultimate imo

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Isn't there like a whole online community that dodges DCMAs that is redoing Switch Smash Bros to be more like Smash Ultimate and basically bring like one dodge/cancel mechanic that they dropped on the Switch game?

project M I believe it's called:

https://projectplusgame.com/faq

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Switch Smash Bros is Smash Ultimate.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

if/when they make another smash I'd want them to focus on making SP stuff more fun again, that front kinda fell off after Brawl.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I just want one with good netcode

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Inzombiac posted:

SSB Ultimate nearly killed Sakurai. If they make a sequel soon, I hope it is just iterative and not made from the ground up.

They will also make LOTS of people mad if they cut back on the roster, which seems kind of inevitable.

Brawl nearly killed him. Ultimate was a much smoother development where he delegated a lot more.

I think the best thing to do for having to cut the roster is eliminate all third party characters and add a bunch of Nintendo characters that haven't been used before.

Also cut all Pokemon characters except Pikachu and Jigglypuff, and all Fire Emblem characters except Marth and Roy. Add new fire emblem characters and new Pokemon, even if they're ones that have been in the series before, but start from just the originals before making those decisions.

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Oct 17, 2023

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Makes sense since Brawl had that massive story mode that was basically a whole other game unto itself

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Larryb posted:

Makes sense since Brawl had that massive story mode that was basically a whole other game unto itself

Back in those days he set every single balancing parameter personally and tested them himself. He didn't trust anyone else to do it

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
I think they could pare down the roster as long as they announced it well in advance, like over a year before release. Say it's a back to basics

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
Now Captain Falcon uses his gun (dick)

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Larryb posted:

I mean, there’s been a Smash on pretty much every console since the N64 so it wouldn’t surprise me at least

Off the subject but are there any Ghost Houses in Wonder? That was always one of my least favorite parts of the 2D games

what the heck

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Larryb posted:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Looper posted:

what the heck

I don't like the maze aspect and them being populated by enemies that more often than not cannot be killed by anything short of invincibility doesn't help matters, but that's just me (it's not like it's a deal breaker or anything)

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

IIRC, Sakurai has gone on record that the reason he went so crazy with dlc picks in Ultimate is that he knew he would never be able to wrangle the rights to all these characters again. So unless Nintendo can find some loophole with a Smash Ultimate Deluxe that doesn't require them to renegotiate the rights to all the 3rd party characters we're likely to lose some of them.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Also cut all Pokemon characters except Pikachu and Jigglypuff, and all Fire Emblem characters except Marth and Roy. Add new fire emblem characters and new Pokemon, even if they're ones that have been in the series before, but start from just the originals before making those decisions.

If we gotta have cuts I'd wanna see this but for the entire roster. Cut everyone, technically. Like obviously Sakurai is gonna re-add Mario and Link but I want it to be a conscious decision

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Scrap Dragon posted:

IIRC, Sakurai has gone on record that the reason he went so crazy with dlc picks in Ultimate is that he knew he would never be able to wrangle the rights to all these characters again. So unless Nintendo can find some loophole with a Smash Ultimate Deluxe that doesn't require them to renegotiate the rights to all the 3rd party characters we're likely to lose some of them.

If we gotta have cuts I'd wanna see this but for the entire roster. Cut everyone, technically. Like obviously Sakurai is gonna re-add Mario and Link but I want it to be a conscious decision

A Mario game where Mario has to try out for his own role, but fails the first time

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Scrap Dragon posted:

I want this kind of thing. Rebuilding the characters from the ground up. Just imagine all the work they could do to make DK any fun at all. They have the mincart stuff for Steve. But after all the new material, they still have DK just punch and twirl. It sucks. They make tiny changes like Link's bombs and Mario getting Fludd. But they really need to just make new characters out of most of them. If Sonic comes back, and he doesn't have even half his moveset updated to Frontiers-like stuff, I'm gonna be pissed.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

they should give Mario a gun

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

symbolic posted:

This, but ironically

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

They should not cut any pokemon. In fact, they should add the rest of them.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

symbolic posted:

Been done in SMW hacks before. Can't find a video of any levels that use it, but it's actually REALLY cool. The recoil pushes you in whatever direction so you have to both kill things and use the momentum to make jumps.

edit: https://www.smwcentral.net/?p=section&a=details&id=31442

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

getting the feeling that this dude loves mario romhacks

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Fun games are fun

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Breadallelogram posted:

They should not cut any pokemon. In fact, they should add the rest of them.

And make them sword wielders

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Mister Facetious posted:

And make them sword wielders

Not bad for a blind man, but that butter knife ain’t gonna stop no bullet.
Maybe 2 goons will get this reference of a highly underrated 80s action movie.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

otter posted:

Not bad for a blind man, but that butter knife ain’t gonna stop no bullet.
Maybe 2 goons will get this reference of a highly underrated 80s action movie.

Blind Fury with Rutger Hauer?

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Mister Facetious posted:

Blind Fury with Rutger Hauer?

whoomp, there it is.

Edit: it autocorrected to whomp, but would have been better if it corrected to thwomp.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

otter posted:

whoomp, there it is.

Edit: it autocorrected to whomp, but would have been better if it corrected to thwomp.

I have the DVD. :v:

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Mister Facetious posted:

I have the DVD. :v:

I haven’t seen it in nearly 20 years but we watched it at least once every weekend for the better part of a year. It was in rotation with Under Siege.

Friday afternoon in 1999: ring ring. Yeah? What’s up tonight? You guys want to come over and play magic?
Friday afternoon in 2023: tap tap tap: yo. You bringing your kids over to play magic?

Edit: except for this Friday cause we are going to be playing Mario wonder.

otter fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Oct 17, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Has anyone recently connected their Switch to hotel wifi that has one of those sign in portals? I've been looking on the internet but all the advice I've seen seems to be either out of date (from back when the Switch would gladly open a web page renderer) or generated (telling me to try using an incognito window). I've tried reaching the sign in page through the social media options but it just tells me it was unable to reach the website.