Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

MrQwerty posted:

lmao Konnan sold the gently caress outta that hit

show some respect he almost died

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Either you sell for Hogan or you get sold by Hogan, brother. He invented the concept of barter in Wembley Stadium in front of 200,000 screaming Hulkamaniacs. Michael Jackson started to cry, because his cancer was cured instantly.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

He also invented the idea of coming out to music. He told Vince to play "eye of the tiger" while he was coming out. Vince didn't want to, but the hulkster said that he should do it just this once and if it didn't work then Vince could fire him. After hulk got to the back, Vince looked him in the eye and admitted he was wrong. And because the hulkster is such a great guy, he said that now they need to give music to all the other wrestlers so they can be just as big of a star as him.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
hulk hogan wrestled for a make a wish kid but the kid died and there was a bad smell brother but the hulkster kept wrestling

JAnon
Jul 16, 2023

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

hulk hogan wrestled for a make a wish kid but the kid died and there was a bad smell brother but the hulkster kept wrestling

and he made a dogshit smash hit tune out of it, jack. sold 20,000 over 40 quadrillion copies

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

And later that night Hulk Hogan met up with Bob Dylan and they recorded Blonde on Blonde. After listening to it Bob Dylan said "Thank you Hulk Hogan, thank you for giving me this musical idea."

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

All this hatred for the Hulkster just because he’s a literal time traveler, brother.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

Grendels Dad posted:

Looks like a PPV logo for whatever WWE's equivalen of "gently caress you, it's January" is.

Actually January is the Royal Rumble and the start of 'The Road to Wrestlemania', so WWE really does care that it's January. A closer comparison is instead 'gently caress you, it's September, Summerslam is finished and we don't do poo poo until Survivor Series in November'

But yes, WWE TKO proudly presented by Mountain Dew Piss.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

They own the trademark to Halloween Havoc. Crank it up.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Speaking of Hogan. Did anyone ever explain what lead to this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6rqQMbVHSI

This has been living rent free in my head for weeks now and I kind of want to know more.

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN

David D. Davidson posted:

This has been living rent free in my head for weeks now and I kind of want to know more.

that man on the wall is the hulkster from heaven, hogan wrote a song about him

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
iirc, The Wall was brought in to be a bodyguard for Berlyn, the Euro Techno repackaged dancing fool, Alex Wright. How this lead to a program with the man with 375 days in his year, I have no recollection.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Animal-Mother posted:

iirc, The Wall was brought in to be a bodyguard for Berlyn, the Euro Techno repackaged dancing fool, Alex Wright. How this lead to a program with the man with 375 days in his year, I have no recollection.

You got Berlyn, you got the Wall. I'm not sure the American education system was up to the challenge to let kids draw the connection then or now but it's pretty clear and satisfying. Also, Rammstein is fun, the Wall had a fun look, the Chokeslam is a cool move and I guess that's all there is to it.

And that clip will never not make me laugh. Wall might as well have been standing on the moon.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

David D. Davidson posted:

So this was at the very end of a transitional period in WCW. WCW brought in Vince Russo in 1999 and it was an utter disaster, while being an entertaining train wreck. After they sent him home months later, they put Kevin Sullivan in charge. Sullivan was pretty bad, but not in an entertaining way. While there was some competence in his writing, the show just became boring. At the time, Sid was WCW Champion and also heel. Sid was feuding with Hogan, which was very forgettable, but there was something in there that Sid put a huge bounty on Hogan's head for anyone who wanted to put him out of action.

They were doing their big Spring Break show, which I remember as being overall exciting during a rough time. Hogan was being interviewed about his feud with Sid and took a second to talk up Vampiro, as Vampiro was really starting to get over as a major face. Hogan was likening Vampiro's fanbase to Hulkamania and threw some respect on his name.

Then the Wall did his amazing appearance. The Wall was the bodyguard for Berlyn, a repackaged Alex Wright whose push was probably hurt a lot due to 1) Columbine making his style look in bad taste, and 2) Hacksaw Jim Duggan kind of no-selling a lot in Berlyn's debuting match. The Wall was there to answer for the bounty. The main event had Vampiro help Hogan put the Wall through a table, while making it look like this was going to build towards something bigger. Like I said earlier, I recall this feeling like a huge turning point for WCW's creative.

Also, I still think "THAT'S THE WALL, BROTHER!" is cool as gently caress. It's over-the-top in the best way and is probably the best thing Hogan had been apart of in his post-nWo years in WCW.

So what was the next Nitro to follow-up on this Hogan/Vampiro alliance and the idea of the Wall becoming a major player? What about Sid's attempts to get Hogan off the board? Nope. They did a clip show. A clip show while they talked up how bad WCW had gotten. This was right before they decided to have Eric Bischoff and Vince Russo write the show together, which was treated like a reboot of sorts. The clip show Nitro was them saying, "Bischoff and Russo are going to make the show good again starting next week! Can't wait!"

That Nitro swept away all of the storylines and vacated all the titles, which turned Sid face. They did the Millionaire's Club vs. New Blood storyline, which was a garbage fire of a storyline, but also put Hogan and Vampiro on opposing sides.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Gavok posted:

Also, I still think "THAT'S THE WALL, BROTHER!" is cool as gently caress. It's over-the-top in the best way and is probably the best thing Hogan had been apart of in his post-nWo years in WCW.

Theoretically, it should be great. A huge dude on a tall building, raising his hand to the sky. An overpowering presence, taller than the hero in every way of the word.

But then the camera just keeps zooming and zooming back and the building is forever away and the Wall is just this tiny spot and Hogan is just this tiny spot. It's like they set up the stage for Godzilla to fight whoever, but Hogan and Wall are the two lovely humans you'd have to draw an arrow at to point them out in the scene.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Grendels Dad posted:

Theoretically, it should be great. A huge dude on a tall building, raising his hand to the sky. An overpowering presence, taller than the hero in every way of the word.

But then the camera just keeps zooming and zooming back and the building is forever away and the Wall is just this tiny spot and Hogan is just this tiny spot. It's like they set up the stage for Godzilla to fight whoever, but Hogan and Wall are the two lovely humans you'd have to draw an arrow at to point them out in the scene.

It's Hoganime.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

remember when hogan hosed up and choked out Richard Belzer?

content warning on this Belzer gets pretty badly hosed up

https://youtube.com/watch?v=iJflxxy_t8Y

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

AlmightyBob posted:

remember when hogan hosed up and choked out Richard Belzer?

content warning on this Belzer gets pretty badly hosed up

https://youtube.com/watch?v=iJflxxy_t8Y

The Belz bought his castle in France with his Hulk Hogan money.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
He thought it was Meltzer.

ZixTheYeti
Jul 12, 2005

Hellarious!

Szyznyk posted:

The Belz bought his castle in France with his Hulk Hogan money.

That’s probably the most sound investment that’s ever been made with Hogan’s money.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Gavok posted:

So this was at the very end of a transitional period in WCW. WCW brought in Vince Russo in 1999 and it was an utter disaster, while being an entertaining train wreck. After they sent him home months later, they put Kevin Sullivan in charge. Sullivan was pretty bad, but not in an entertaining way. While there was some competence in his writing, the show just became boring. At the time, Sid was WCW Champion and also heel. Sid was feuding with Hogan, which was very forgettable, but there was something in there that Sid put a huge bounty on Hogan's head for anyone who wanted to put him out of action.

They were doing their big Spring Break show, which I remember as being overall exciting during a rough time. Hogan was being interviewed about his feud with Sid and took a second to talk up Vampiro, as Vampiro was really starting to get over as a major face. Hogan was likening Vampiro's fanbase to Hulkamania and threw some respect on his name.

Then the Wall did his amazing appearance. The Wall was the bodyguard for Berlyn, a repackaged Alex Wright whose push was probably hurt a lot due to 1) Columbine making his style look in bad taste, and 2) Hacksaw Jim Duggan kind of no-selling a lot in Berlyn's debuting match. The Wall was there to answer for the bounty. The main event had Vampiro help Hogan put the Wall through a table, while making it look like this was going to build towards something bigger. Like I said earlier, I recall this feeling like a huge turning point for WCW's creative.

So what was the next Nitro to follow-up on this Hogan/Vampiro alliance and the idea of the Wall becoming a major player? What about Sid's attempts to get Hogan off the board? Nope. They did a clip show. A clip show while they talked up how bad WCW had gotten. This was right before they decided to have Eric Bischoff and Vince Russo write the show together, which was treated like a reboot of sorts. The clip show Nitro was them saying, "Bischoff and Russo are going to make the show good again starting next week! Can't wait!"

That Nitro swept away all of the storylines and vacated all the titles, which turned Sid face. They did the Millionaire's Club vs. New Blood storyline, which was a garbage fire of a storyline, but also put Hogan and Vampiro on opposing sides.

Agreed. That Wall scene was awesome. At the time I thought it was just whatever. Pro wrestling production. Whatever. Then everyone made fun of it and yeah I get it. It doesn't make sense and those two couldn't even really see each other

But over the years I grew to really like that scene, especially once I started watching old Japanese tokusatsu and sentai shows. Like Gavok said it's extremely anime and I honestly wish they had leaned into stuff like that more. I might just be tired because it's early morning here but pro wrestling should steal more stuff from tokusatsu and sentai

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Elephant Ambush posted:

pro wrestling should steal more stuff from tokusatsu and sentai

THE NAME'S RECOOME
AND IT SPELLS YOUR DOOM
AND YOU'RE GONNA BE HURTIN'
ALL TOO SOON!

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

rndmnmbr posted:

THE NAME'S RECOOME
AND IT SPELLS YOUR DOOM
AND YOU'RE GONNA BE HURTIN'
ALL TOO SOON!

hell yea

also: https://dragonball.fandom.com/wiki/Bacterian

"Bacterian is a filthy, giant and dirty Earthling that competed in the 21st World Martial Arts Tournament. He has the reputation of never taking a bath or brushing his teeth in his entire life. He uses this stench he has gained as a tactical advantage in fighting, making his opponents only fight with one hand, since they have to use their other one to hold their nose."

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
And in the latest in the crazy Vince McMahon merry go round, it seems like selling the WWE and merging it into TKO has indeed caused what had been theorized could happen: Vince is no longer absolute overlord and has been overruled by his new bosses and supposedly completely removed from WWE Creative in favor of Triple H. So if you're following, we have 'Vince stabs a knife into NXT to punish Hunter for 'losing' to AEW' to 'Vince gets exposed as a sex pest and 'retires'' to 'Vince forces his way back into the WWE' to 'Vince does the seeming impossible and sells the WWE' to 'Vince has been Ted Turner in WCW due to the Time Warner AOL merger'd and for the first time has to take orders and be told no.' Who knows how accurate the last one is, but I think of how Vince essentially forced his own father out of the WWF and the fact that history rhymes.

Cornwind Evil fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Oct 16, 2023

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Cornwind Evil posted:

And in the latest in the crazy Vince McMahon merry go round, it seems like selling the WWE and merging it into TKO has indeed caused what had been theorized could happen: Vince is no longer absolute overlord and has been overruled by his new bosses and supposedly completely removed from WWE Creative in favor of Triple H. So if you're following, we have 'Vince stabs a knife into NXT to punish Hunter for 'losing' to AEW' to 'Vince gets exposed as a sex pest and 'retires'' to 'Vince forces his way back into the WWE' to 'Vince does the seeming impossible and sells the WWE' to 'Vince has been Ted Turner in WCW due to the Time Warner AOL merger'd and for the first time has to take orders and be told no.' Who knows how accurate the last one is, but I think of how Vince essentially forced his own father out of the WWF and the fact that history rhymes.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
If Vince still has the power to fire HHH then I 100% guarantee you that HHH is still taking creative orders from Vince via email or text or fax or whatever Vince uses to communicate

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Vandar posted:

Shockingly yeah. His stuff in Japan is pretty solid, and even in America he's got a handful of matches where he puts in the effort. His matches against Vader are supposedly really good, I should look those up.

He was a *smart* worker though, not a hard one. He knew he didn't have to put in effort in the USA and could get over entirely on his character work.

When he talks about Ric Flair he mentions how Ric was putting in the work in the South building up the WWE by wrestling just an insane amount of matches while Hogan was the one highlighting MSG and shining in the starlight doing far less work.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
lol vince is going to kill someone after being told no for the first time

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Elephant Ambush posted:

If Vince still has the power to fire HHH then I 100% guarantee you that HHH is still taking creative orders from Vince via email or text or fax or whatever Vince uses to communicate

angry shouting

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
vince doesnt know what an email or text or fax is

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
vince mcmahon turning red and popping veins as he yells at a gateway desktop computer.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

if you want to keep Vince away just play a looping recording of someone sneezing

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

ZixTheYeti posted:

That’s probably the most sound investment that’s ever been made with Hogan’s money.

Hogan likes to tell the story of how he missed out on what became the George Foreman Grill and had to settle for the Hulk Hogan Thunder Juicer due to whatever he's trying to make a point about. I suspect it might be the same juicer Jack Lalanne put his name on and made a bunch of money, but I'm still pretty sure a Hulk Hogan grill would have sold only slightly better than his Meat Shoes.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
pastamania was ahead of its time, brother

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

I like to think this is some kind of metaphor for the Hulkster

JAnon
Jul 16, 2023

Archer666 posted:

I like to think this is some kind of metaphor for the Hulkster

this wasn't even an actual location; someone put a PASTAMANIA!©™® sign on the side of some building in Minneapolis and it stayed there until the building got demolished

JAnon
Jul 16, 2023

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

no sidebread for you, DUDE

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

JAnon posted:

this wasn't even an actual location; someone put a PASTAMANIA!©™® sign on the side of some building in Minneapolis and it stayed there until the building got demolished

lmao

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

One of my favorite Pastamania details is how it is/used to be a censored word in the wwe 2k videogames create-a-story mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAnon
Jul 16, 2023

Matinee posted:

One of my favorite Pastamania details is how it is/used to be a censored word in the wwe 2k videogames create-a-story mode.

:laffo: