Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Is Icarus fun yet? I played it like a year ago and there was some promise there but eventually gave up because the game design is just horribly tedious and grindy combined with janky bugs that would randomly screw you over and erase hours or days of progress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I played Necesse last night, it was okay but if it was more expensive I probably would have refunded it. There's a lot of build stuff later on but it isn't really gripping me right away. But it's 5 bucks so why not just keep it and pick at it.

The progression for resources is somewhat all over the place. Terraria slow walks you into the better materials, having you slowly build up special materials as time goes on, with chests containing a new fancy thing occasionally and most pots just having gold in them. But here there's pots everywhere that give all kinds of potions and weapons and all kinds of stuff to fill up your inventory with. On the other hand, I spent a long time trying to cobble together enough iron to make an anvil and some shears while stockpiling loads of copper ore and some gold ore too.

I feel like it's a side effect of the random generation and the lack of a "depth" on a single map, since you can build a down ladder anywhere, but I definitely had some weird spawns. Like killing zombies before walking back to the ladder to find that the game spawed a vampire that instantly obliterated me.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

mrmcd posted:

Is Icarus fun yet? I played it like a year ago and there was some promise there but eventually gave up because the game design is just horribly tedious and grindy combined with janky bugs that would randomly screw you over and erase hours or days of progress.

It's had a lot of improvement. I would say the next big update will make it the game it should have been on launch and will basically do away with the instanced missions on all maps, currently it's only got missions and open world on a single map.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I thought the Icarus update came out and was good, already?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
The Icarus expansion is good yeah. There's a non-expansion overhaul patch coming that is going to apply the open world mission system to the Styx and (later) Olympus maps. So no more one-and-done missions unless you specifically want that style.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

Vasudus posted:

The Icarus expansion is good yeah. There's a non-expansion overhaul patch coming that is going to apply the open world mission system to the Styx and (later) Olympus maps. So no more one-and-done missions unless you specifically want that style.

Basically this. The new map and game flow is great but it's not over all the maps yet. The precious 2 still need updating.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I finally bought the game and played it past the refund period but I still don’t think I like it. It’s still just a little… weird? If you’re really hard up for a new open world survival craft and aren’t too picky about like, lore or the world, it’s alright certainly, but nothing stood out. Also one huge thing that killed the new “endless” mode for me is that you can’t play on difficulties with harsh weather else you eventually just have the entire forest burn down. Kind of fucks you up for hoping to have an aesthetically pleasing forest base. You can’t replant or restore trees at all as far as I know. For me, this was a killer even if it seems minor.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

Anime Store Adventure posted:

I finally bought the game and played it past the refund period

Which game?

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

LordSloth posted:

Which game?

Icarus, sorry!

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
I see Green Hell is on sale.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

mrmcd posted:

I had the same experience as you - once you maxed bow tree before you’d just make a longbow and take 4 wood walls and 2 floors around and destroy the rest of the mission with bone arrows. I recently picked it back up and played a bunch and there’s still a little of that as far as I can tell with Olympus, but it generally feels a little more cohesive somehow; not sure why tho. T4 can still be a ridiculous grind if you aren’t prepped for it and the T4 missions can still be rough in that you either need to drag a ton of poo poo around so you’re prepped for mission objectives or figure out mission objectives first so that you don’t do a bunch of work to get to the mission and then a bunch more work to rebuild all the poo poo you didn’t bring with you.

All the same it scratches the itch pretty well. I’ve thought about getting the expansion; maybe if it goes on sale sometime.

chird
Sep 26, 2004

I bought The Front and played a few hours with a friend. There are about 75 official servers in NA, EU, and Asia, each with a max of 40 people. It seems the Asian servers are much more populated, with many maxxed out. Servers are split between PVP and PVE, seems PVE is much more popular atm. Some have 45-day wipes.

It's early-access janky but not buggy I'd say. They're only adding the abilty to rebind keys in an update today.

It looks nice at high settings but is quite GPU intensive. On a 3060ti I got something like 120 fps at Medium and 50 fps at Ultra. Bit of input lag. No DLSS but it's mentioned in a configuration file so maybe it's coming.

It seems a cakewalk to survive in PVE, at least during the short time I played. The building mechanics are Rustlike and the interface works well imo.

You can run your own dedicated server with all manner of modifiers I'm yet to understand. There's a dedicated server config creation tool but I still had to fix the IP address. The dedicated server uses about 3GB of ram.

There's also a solo/lan? mode but I'm not sure it's properly working, there's a note basically saying it's still unfinished.

The tech trees are massive. The map is also very big if it's only meant to be 40 people. On the other hand, people seem to be able to claim vast swathes of land by dropping multiple beacon things.

Seems to be getting rapid updates. Atm it's quite entertaining just trying to work out what the game even and what it might become coz it has everything but the kitchen sink thrown in.

It's possible it's just a bunch of stuff thrown together from a bunch of other games (Rust, 7d2d, Conan, Ark) that lacks good ideas of its own, but it has some potential I think.

Fenom
Mar 23, 2007
I was thinking about getting The Front as well. It seems like it might be a good dick around with friends game even if it has some jank. Anyone else have some experience with it?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

chird posted:

New game The Front just out on early access is said to be a cross between 7d2d and Rust. Not tried myself. Youtubers more positive about it than steam reviews.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJ6EhvXwLB0

Neebs Gaming put up a video about it and it looked a lot like a combination of ark, 7 days and Conan. It has that stone to lasers aspect of ark, horde defense of 7 days and the building freedom of Conan. But my main question, does it have SP? I grabbed Rust years ago and was very upset that there is no single player. I'm not playing on public servers, reviews mention that is absolutely full of hackers, and i dunno if it will be popular enough for a goon server.

EDIT: Looked it up, it has single player, in that you can create a hosted pve server that only you're on.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Oct 17, 2023

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

twistedmentat posted:

EDIT: Looked it up, it has single player, in that you can create a hosted pve server that only you're on.

That just makes one ask "how much PvE content is there?"

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009
Am I crazy or did we have a Space Engineers thread? Can't find it.

Anyway, is there a good source of information about the game that isn't several terrible wikis? I get that this level of jank is par for the course with SE, but man. I would love to have some kind of coherent resource for must-have information (how do you make building stuff not be an annoying exercise. where is the ice on the planet. how do hinges work) or even just some good examples to work from, my current strategy of "figure it out in survival through trial and error" is kinda fun but also kinda like sprinting at full speed in a dark room to try and find the door, in that I only seem to get more confused and a headache for my trouble.

Xinlum
Apr 12, 2009

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a Dark Knight

I think this is the closest thread for SE.

For ice, depends on the planet. The earth like planet you can find it as big frozen lakes. The moon it's at the north and south poles (and underground with ore deposits)

Finding ore can be a huge pain until you know what to look for. The wiki talks like it's easy to spot the 'speckle' but I find it incredibly difficult to spot on the earth planet. It's much easier to find 'boulders' that contain ore. It's much easier to spot the 'speckle' on flat terrain like desert or moon, but you have to be reasonable close, not a mile in the sky.

Making things not a pain to build is one of the challenges of the game. First priority should be getting a starter base set up with the bare essentials, a refinery, an assembler, a wind turbine, and a cargo pod.

Once set up I convert my drop pod into a mining vehicle, or you can build a drill rig with pistons on your starter base and just drill a super big hole right at home and process the stone.

Much later you can do things like build 3D printers or welding ships. In my opinion welding ships kinda suck rear end compared to a printer but building a printer is a lot of up front work.

If I get time I'll take some screenshots of my moon base to show off a simple 3d printer set up and simple drill rig.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Speaking of “I think this is the best thread…”

What game(s) have the most fun “house”-building mechanics?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Look up Splitsie on YouTube for Space Engineers. His starter stuff was great for helping me out, and I still watch his videos even when I’m not currently playing.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Icarus. Check out the YouTube videos on building houses. They have a kind of "safe" area when you can just build a house too without any of the other stuff.

Xinlum
Apr 12, 2009

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a Dark Knight

There's no reason to do so but I liked the base building in stranded deep. Carrying back materials on my raft like big heavy container pieces added a neat logistical challenge to it.

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009
Man, I wish the challenge of making things fun to build was more fun. I think I've spent more time trying to flip my idiot vehicle so I didn't have to totally reconstruct it to try again than I have anything else. Runner-up is trying to build a tower with a ladder on the side, that should not be as convoluted as it is.

I think the planet surface stuff was maybe a mistake? My life became immediately better when I put thrusters on a vehicle instead of wheels. I had assumed there would be a much bigger difference in energy costs than there is between wheels and flight, thanks Vasudus for the youtube rec.

E: All the "It's a SANDBOX stuff in game doesn't excuse the janky weirdness and 0 in-game documentation as much as it seems to hope it does.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I would recommend starting out in creative mode first. You're fighting two systems (both full of jank) which is the survival mechanics *and* the building mechanics.

https://se.analytixresearch.com/ - this website is what I use for calculating thrust on planets for any of my ships. You plug in the mass, grid size, thruster count, and planet and it'll tell you what it takes to fly. I always build my stuff for Pertam (1.2G) because if it flies on Pertam it'll fly anywhere.

I use a ground rover for as long as it takes to get enough iron, nickel, and cobalt to get atmospheric thrusters rolling and after that it's flying mining vehicles all the way. Doing anything ground based on anything under 1G environment sucks rear end - you bounce around like crazy.

The workshop has a billion and one schematics for you if you want to go that route. You can build them by loading them into a projector grid, projecting the hologram, and then adding the components block by block. You can also make your own blueprints. Later on you can make a printer wall (connect a bunch of grid block welders to a projector system and your part supply) and that can bang out a small grid ship in frightening speed. Like under 30 seconds start to finish.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Vintage Story is probably the best Cozy House Building Simulator out there. You actually need the functionality of a house (shelter, warmth, storage, food preparation / preservation, etc), and the building has *some* basic mechanical requirements while still being permissive enough to allow for creativity.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

It’s a fairly standard building system itself, but I do enjoy that Smalland lets you just up and move your entire base between set points on the map at the drop of a hat. You do a minor climbing puzzle to get to the top of certain trees, talk to a magic gnome stetue, and there it is.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

metasynthetic posted:

Vintage Story is probably the best Cozy House Building Simulator out there. You actually need the functionality of a house (shelter, warmth, storage, food preparation / preservation, etc), and the building has *some* basic mechanical requirements while still being permissive enough to allow for creativity.

Is this just a house survival simulator? I'd love something like long dark but you have like a 7 days level of construction. You're goal is to expand and survive with the environment being you're only opponent.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

Is this just a house survival simulator? I'd love something like long dark but you have like a 7 days level of construction. You're goal is to expand and survive with the environment being you're only opponent.

You can turn off the garbage monsters so it does become a fight against the elements without worrying about monsters (wolves will still ruin your day, though). The game has a full seasonal cycle where it is important to gear up and stockpile food to survive the winter, but it may be a fairly well solved problem past the first or second winter unless you build in some hellish year round snowscape.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Vintage Story even with monsters is pretty solved early but it’s one of the best homesteading and exploration experiences imo. Definitely not for everyone but it really hits a great, weird niche for me and a lot of folks I know in the same manner.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Started watching Primitive Technology I want a survival game that's unapologetically granular. I understand that the tedium and repetition of most tasks doesn't translate to a very fun game but the detail, the work and the requirements, surely those could transition to a playable state somehow, even if it only appeals to select weirdos like me.
A friend was playing a game once and pointed out as he walked past a clothing line that it's one of those things that exists and is important in the world, but never to the player. Are there even any survival games where you have to dry your clothes? The Long Dark is the only one that comes to mind.

Anyway I would love granularity in a survival game that's more about action and crafting and less about a numerical readout of every vitamin in your body. I feel like VR is a pretty good venue for this sort of thing, where the tactile feeling could make small actions more engaging. But there's got to be something more involved than this.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Vib Rib posted:

Started watching Primitive Technology I want a survival game that's unapologetically granular. I understand that the tedium and repetition of most tasks doesn't translate to a very fun game but the detail, the work and the requirements, surely those could transition to a playable state somehow, even if it only appeals to select weirdos like me.
A friend was playing a game once and pointed out as he walked past a clothing line that it's one of those things that exists and is important in the world, but never to the player. Are there even any survival games where you have to dry your clothes? The Long Dark is the only one that comes to mind.

Anyway I would love granularity in a survival game that's more about action and crafting and less about a numerical readout of every vitamin in your body. I feel like VR is a pretty good venue for this sort of thing, where the tactile feeling could make small actions more engaging. But there's got to be something more involved than this.

Vintage Story is probably your best best. It doesn't have things like putting out clothes to dry or anything like that, but the crafting system is very detailed and there's a lot of secondary factors that go into doing basic things. It's the kind of game where in order to make a clay pot you have to build it up voxel by voxel into its final shape, dig a pit in the ground, cover the pit with tinder, wood, and flame, and then cover it so that it can bake over the course of several in-game hours.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Vib has been a pretty big proponent of VS in the past, as I recall.

But now I'm imagining doing VS's flings knapping, clay working, or metal working in VR. That would be interesting

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Vintage Story is excellent in that regard, yes. It's even better if you try the Expanded foods mod which basically adds all kinds of food related things which are not (yet) in the base game, like bottled drinks, various dried foodstuffs and the like.

Only issue I have is that so far I don't think houses insulation is a thing yet. In winter there's freezing temperatures inside my house too. Although not 100% sure if it only applies to my house made from planks (half-blocks) and full blocks insulate.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Vib Rib posted:

Card Survival is the closest to this.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

socialsecurity posted:

I actually agree, which is kind of wild. You wouldn't think so looking at it.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

socialsecurity posted:

Yes and no, there is a lot to it but it definitely leans more towards the "count every vitamin in your body" side of the scale.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Vib Rib posted:

Project Zomboid has a clothes wetness and dirtyness mechanic that's impacted by rain and sweat. I think you can use electric clothesdryers but AFAIK there are no clotheslines.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

A Township Tale was a neat little VR game that has some of the “actions” I think. Like the wood crafting has you clamp the wood and then chisel pieces off usinga hammer and chisel in each hand. You have to swing the axe to chop trees. Pouring metal for smithing and then hammering it out on an anvil. Etc. I played it a bit when I first got the quest 2 and it was fun. Not sure how it’s developed since, they were a small team and heavily focused on getting out the quest port and not doing much to update the game.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Vib Rib posted:

If actual survival mechanics are less important than granularity, there's 'A tale in the desert'

Really captures that whole "find clay, dig clay, haul clay to your hut, beat the poo poo out of the clay, stuff clay into square moulds, watch it dry" loop.

And if you get tired of watching your flax rot before you can turn it into papyrus, you can go find a few friends and quarry giant stones to contribute to your neighbors ziggurat

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
In terms of tactile sense, I did play the demo for Bootstrap Island on Steam. It's insanely short, so very hard to judge, and I got the distinct impression it's just gonna be a pretty linear narrative game with the occasional trapping of survival.
But the few interactions I had time to mess with felt very satisfying. Something so physical about having to rip the husk off a coconut with my hands, then breaking it on a hard surface in such a way as to try and avoid spilling the milk inside, sipping it out, and peeling the white flesh from the inner halves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Conan, if you fork over money for whichever building skin DLC packs strike your aesthetic. Some of my favorite, most comfy builds in a survival game I've done in there, and Conan is made for pve before pvp so it's actually fun solo. Has the problem of npc raids against your stuff, but that system tends to be rather jank and doesn't go off allot last I played, and spamming your own npc defenders can help you deal with it. Raid strength is based off build location only, so you can just build on newb river and never really need to worry much. Worth looking into mods for stuff too.

Valhiem is also really nice for making a cozy cabin, or a yurt. Love to make yurts. But it's building system is very permissive, which makes it rather unique, it's fine with you clipping things together for the most part so it gives you allot of freedom for shapes and details. Does also have the problem of raids against your stuff, that actually trigger frequently unlike Conan, and it's entirely you vs them. Raid strength is based of how many bosses you've killed, so can become problematic as you progress.

Vintage Story as mentioned by others. Also recommend looking into mods, it's got allot of real nice ones. And turning the drifters (generic zombietype enemies) off, at least on the surface.