Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

New kill team box should've been based on the dawn of war 2 intro imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Eediot Jedi posted:

New kill team box should've been based on the dawn of war 2 intro imo

I've toyed with the idea of trying to come up with a singleplayer killteam scenario that's just reenacting Predator with a Lictor.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
That new terrain set looks great.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
I played a 500pt Middle Earth SBG game today, and it was insanely fun. I am really, really liking the rules: the fact that movement is by far the longest of the phases because good moving is how you win is very much my jam. Also, my Mordor Troll didn't roll all 1s, and I got to throw a guy though 5 other guys.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

We had our own ME:SBG round today as well. We were each at Scenario 5 of the Battle Companies Narrative Campaign: The Drake's Treasure. Sadly, neither of us made it through. On the lighter side nobody caught a permanent wound effect.
We then invoked the boss round challenge mode: roll D6 and beat a boss to be allowed to roll on the scenario 5 reward list.

1) The Tainted on Armoured Horse @135 pts,
2) The Dwimmerlaik on Armoured Horse @ 135 pts
3) Cave Troll & Buhrdur @ 185 pts
4) Gulavhar @ 200 pts
5) The Witch-King of Angmar 3/20/3 with Armoured Horse @ 165 pts
6) The Witch-King of Angmar 3/20/3 with Crown of Morgul, Armoured Horse, Morgul Blade @ 200 pts

Doug's Durin's Folk list was 176 pts at start of day, and picked up a Khazad Guard recruit for the challenge round.
He caught Buhrdur and Friend and fought gallantly to the last dwarf. Losing ties on Fight: compare versus trolls hurt him a lot.
I let him roll reward to get Axe of the Blue Mountains for his 2-handed axe hero. +30 points to hero value, who's already Fight: 5, Attacks: 2.. Master-crafted 2H with Mighty Blow. He gets to use the Gimli model.

My Easterlings had 229 pts due to Icebay of Forochel reward of a Shaman with Fury
I drew "Not quite so awful" version of the Witch King. Armored Horse made him hard to run down and surround and he Black Darted my 2 sword and 2 bow heroes. Having Fury was great for the symmetrical 6 model surround that eventually ran down his Fate even with 6/4 needed to wound.
Blah roll of 1 on the reward table got a +1 to one of M/W/F for each of my technically 6 heroes (3 starters, + 2 promoted, +1 awarded) so that's worth 30 points added in a distributed way of +1 Might to each of them.
Four Influence saved got me Great Bow (Strength: 4) for each of my bow heroes. Archer hero gimmicks are fun when needing 3+ to hit wounding up to Defense: 8 with sixes.

Adding a bit of Dungeon Mastering allowed a lot of oblique competition more fun than slinging 750 tourney-tuned lists.

There's a legit 24 Warg Wolves attack scenario against the two companies as a team, he says...
Whose win conditions predicate the demise of the other team as well as the 168 pts of doggies. Perhaps I should give them a Wild Warg Chieftan of 80 points and now we have to fight hard together at first to survive.

Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal.

Xlorp fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Oct 16, 2023

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
I need to get into MESBG more. Hmm. I had only the starter box games a friend I play BB with picked up and then he also fought me Minis Tirith vs Goblin town, which was a very fun game that I lost embarassingly. Goblin Town was a real piece of poo poo to fight against because the Goblin King punches like a loving semi truck but his swarming goblins just laugh and run around capturing objectives. The fight phases were hilarious with me blendering an entire starter's set scenario worth of guys but because he was able to swarm over the map he captured all of the points. It was a lot of fun killing so many goblins, and I considered buying either Thorin's Company or the Fellowship(wasnt aware these were just armies themselves) so we could do the fight again because I'd love to see how Aragorn handles these little shits.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth
Y'all have sold me on AT, so I was going to get it for my kid for Christmas so I could play it with him but it looks like the starter kits are completely sold out. As a new player is there any good advice for how to assemble the equivalent?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Notahippie posted:

Y'all have sold me on AT, so I was going to get it for my kid for Christmas so I could play it with him but it looks like the starter kits are completely sold out. As a new player is there any good advice for how to assemble the equivalent?

Either shop around for the kit at online retailers; find the equivalent individual kits through those same retailers; or wait for LI to drop and see if GW puts the set out again. Prices are high right now due to most items being OOS for (probable) LI rebranding.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Notahippie posted:

Virtually all of the Epic scale stuff (including titans) is currently unavailable as it's being repackaged for Legions Imperialis. It's all expected to get re-released under rebranded boxes sometime in November.

GW also announced some limited time sets for knights and titans, which willl most likely be released shortly before xmas. Normally these sets work out as a ~35% discount compared to buying everything individually.

An AT starter set plus a titan battle group would give a solid selection of models to cover two new players.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Notahippie posted:

The starter set is out of stock online, but if you have a local store you may still be able to find it. Though they may have been bought up as people get ready for the launch of Legions Imperialis one day. For an idea of what was in it, here's a picture:

However, there is going to be a new set alongside the new game. We don't know when it's coming since we don't know when Legions Imperialis is going to finally come out, but if you can wait a bit I'd probably go with that. It will have a good mix of titans and builds readily into one of the more forgiving maniples that is perfect for new players, the Axiom. Don't worry about that too much yet. There will also be a separate box that will be all knights. While you can make a list out of only knights, I would advise against it. You miss out on a lot of mechanics and it's an uphill battle. However, they make great support units for your titans and help pad out lists.

We don't know everything about these, but GW has said they'll come with the terminals and cards needed for Titanicus.
https://www.warhammer-community.com...hts-and-titans/

In general, reavers and warhounds are great to start with. They're easier to paint than the warlord and it is possible to batch them if you want. I would absolutely not recommend trying that with warlords. On the bright side, one to two warlord titans is enough for the vast majority of legios/maniples. Though you can justify a third if you really want to. The legios are all collected in their respective loyalist and traitor books so you should see if you can find a copy and flip through to pick a scheme you like. Most Titanicus stuff is either getting reboxed or out of stock, but the books are still available. Don't worry about the rules too much yet unless you wind up picking a legio that specializes in a certain chassis such as Solaria or Audax with warhounds or Krytos with warlords. That could inform your purchases.

dmnz
Feb 14, 2012

BNNRROWNWNWOWOWOWO

Cease to Hope posted:

But Blood Bowl is so punishing and narrow that even the proponents of it have a common reason why so many people don't like it. That's not something you should be able to say about "best game ever" material.

It's also OK to really enjoy a game with high variance and punishing consequences.
These factors do not automatically mean it is bad game design.

BB does something that few games do and makes *every* dice roll exciting and important to the game's outcome.
There is drama and high tension at every decision.

Stalling and clock management is awkward, but less prevalent in tabletop where hopefully both players can act as human beings.

It's not a game for everyone and that's, obviously, also OK.
But I think its a but far to claim that others can not hold it up as a pillar of great game design.

Some people also really love video games with punishing failure states.

**Edit: oops this was several pages back..

dmnz fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Oct 17, 2023

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

dmnz posted:

Stalling and clock management is awkward, but less prevalent in tabletop where hopefully both players can act as human beings.

"The rules can be ignored" is never a defense of the rules. It's implicit in the very idea you present that the rules are bad: that is why you suggest players ignore them to create a better experience.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

So far online I seen that games tend to be 0-2 points. Do irl bloodbowl games every get to say 10 or more?

dmnz
Feb 14, 2012

BNNRROWNWNWOWOWOWO

SuperKlaus posted:

"The rules can be ignored" is never a defense of the rules. It's implicit in the very idea you present that the rules are bad: that is why you suggest players ignore them to create a better experience.

There is nothing in the rules about stalling, (with the tiny exception of a rare event that might happen on a kick-off event).
i.e Stalling is not against the rules in any way.

Stalling for a 2-1 grind is a style of game play that those among the very competitive have found to be an optimal way to play the game.

It is a prevalent strategy at competitive tiers of play, particularly in online leagues or tournament play, but seldom in regular table top league play.

This does not make the rules bad.

dmnz
Feb 14, 2012

BNNRROWNWNWOWOWOWO

Annointed posted:

So far online I seen that games tend to be 0-2 points. Do irl bloodbowl games every get to say 10 or more?

Over 3 touch downs per game is uncommon, 5 or more is very rare.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

dmnz posted:

most of this is (reasonably and rationally) going over previously discussed points or simple differences of opinion, but this jumped out at me.

i've never seen stalling treated as poor sportsmanship ever! it's very boring to play and play against but everyone i've ever played with just accepted it as a fact of life when playing or playing against slow grinder teams. i've never even heard of it being called unsportsmanlike.

dmnz posted:

This does not make the rules bad.

if the game creates incentives to create boring or otherwise unpleasant game states, i would say it does. BB is lousy with toxic game states.

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Oct 17, 2023

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Very reductive but basically if a slow bashy team is recieving the ball, they want to go slow and methodically and pulverise the other team into a pulp while taking the whole half (8 turns) to reduce the chance of being scored on later in the game. Fast teams generally don't want to delay too much, and score as fast as possible while they have their play makers fit, while dodging out of tackle zones to reduce the incoming hits. Games with two fast teams tend to be higher scoring while games with two bashy teams are lower.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

hoiyes posted:

Very reductive but basically if a slow bashy team is recieving the ball, they want to go slow and methodically and pulverise the other team into a pulp while taking the whole half (8 turns) to reduce the chance of being scored on later in the game. Fast teams generally don't want to delay too much, and score as fast as possible while they have their play makers fit, while dodging out of tackle zones to reduce the incoming hits. Games with two fast teams tend to be higher scoring while games with two bashy teams are lower.

Yep, this. Also, the bashy mode of play (as in, progressing slowly while kneecapping the opposing team to make the second half easier) is perfectly fine, IMO. Some players take stalling to crazy levels though - one player I know even having a guy sitting by the endzone for a quarter in both halves, while playing against Ogres!
The couple of people in my group who do the above tend to receive a lot of eyerolls from the other players, along with some occasional ribbing. But regular bashy stalling/creeping is perfectly fine IMO

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Pulling out a stupidly unlikely play against a slow rolling player (like dropping a goblin on the head of a ball carrier in a Dwarf cage) and making them snatch defeat from the Jaws of victory is the Funniest poo poo and even if it only happens 1/20 times it makes the other 19 worth it. Plus being able to stall is a bashy teams win condition, it's a bit rough for super agile team that can score in one or two rounds without too much fuss to get on the high horse about stalling to Nurgle team or something.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Crossposting from the painting thread

Aniodia posted:

Gonna call my Talons of the Emperor Kill Team leader done, barring varnish. It's hard to put into words or pictures how reflective the Vince V gold recipe is, even after shading, it's something that's gotta be seen in person.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

hoiyes posted:

Got confused for a second and thought this was the NCAA football thread and was wondering what happened to cause people to start analyzing the Iowa Hawkeyes.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Annointed posted:

If someone is Skaven (or Wood Elves) sometimes you get stuff like 4-2.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The skaven strategy is to score as quickly as possible and as many times as possible while your team gets fed slowly enough into a woodchipper that your opponent only has time for a couple touchdowns.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.
I had a goblin team lose 0-5 in playoffs thanks to the dice absolutely forsaking me. It was hilarious.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The slow grind is its own kind of "push your luck" approach because you risk not scoring at all if your opponent can manage to screw you up late in your drive. It's a reasonable approach for slow teams, especially dwarves, but hardly foolproof.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

People that play the slow grind and go for stalling to get the 1-0 victory are cowards.

But I pretty much solely play leagues instead of tournaments, and more TDs means more SPP and more league points. I also play Skaven so my goal is to have 3 TDs by the end of the 1st half because I won't have many players to slow them down on the 2nd half.

Also with the fast little bastards, it's never not entertaining when someone tries stalling and you sneak a sacking gutter runner through (wrestle, strip ball, dauntless) and score a TD getting the ball from one end zone to the other in one turn thanks to the A+ skaven throwers.

Floppychop fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Oct 18, 2023

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
Anyway, Theoldworld.com is up. Nothing there but it has a dedicated site now!

The Malthusian
Oct 30, 2012

Any idea when the Necromunda core rulebook will be restocked or is it just a big shrug?

Ballbot5000
Dec 13, 2008

Fabricati diem, pvnc.

The Malthusian posted:

Any idea when the Necromunda core rulebook will be restocked or is it just a big shrug?

It's in stock in the UK, I would assume elsewhere also

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Leperflesh posted:

The slow grind is its own kind of "push your luck" approach because you risk not scoring at all if your opponent can manage to screw you up late in your drive. It's a reasonable approach for slow teams, especially dwarves, but hardly foolproof.

Floppychop posted:

People that play the slow grind and go for stalling to get the 1-0 victory are cowards.

But I pretty much solely play leagues instead of tournaments, and more TDs means more SPP and more league points.

I'm gonna gnaw this bone some more because I can't help myself and I think I've realized something incomplete about my argument.

Stalling isn't inherently boring. In the cases where teams are reasonably matched and players are reasonably matched, it's a very interesting and absorbing game state. Trying to figure out if and how you can force the score early, stop the score, or even knock the ball loose is The Whole Game. Stalling for time doesn't make that part less interesting.

What turns it into a toxic game state is when the stall leads into the injured player death spiral. More players get KOed or injured so you have to take greater risks to even participate in the game so more players get KOed or injured. That can happen at any point in the game! But it will happen most often during a stall.

The reasons are twofold. One big one, and a big part of the learning curve, is that jamming your dudes in there without a concrete goal (to create a path or claim space or pin particular dudes) is probably just going to get your guys murdered. It's a super easy mistake, one that's very easy to make if you're used to the football concept of blockers, y'know, blocking a guy, rather than standing a safe distance away until your one guy who can move and tackle does something. People can be taught that this is a game of controlling space and carving then wrapping corners but most people take a long while to learn it, and even a noob can punish haphazard basing without even realizing they're doing so. So stalls are particularly punishing because you definitely need to do something but it either needs to be a high-game-proficiency plan to break the line or just some sort of long-odds bullcrap.

Another one is that the teams who want to force a death spiral on you for this match also want to stall. The stall is the best way to start the spiral as a bash team, since they can take more and riskier blocks/fouls since a turnover is nbd, the ball is isolated and controlled. It's the best way to keep the death spiral in place, because it means any KOed pawns are off the field for longer. And, if you're bash, TDs are very annoying to get on Bloaters or Mummies even when you're winning, so the next best source of SP is contained in the losing player's poor team members.

I dunno if you can fix those tendencies without going full Guild Ball and remaking the game from scratch. (And even Guild Ball eventually succumbed to this sort of solved stall play, I am given to understand.) It would at least require a fundamental reimagining of what it is bash teams even do, especially the deathly slow ones like Dwarfs and Nurgle.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Ballbot5000 posted:

It's in stock in the UK, I would assume elsewhere also

Im not sure if you are aware but gw has some really baffling regional availability problems. Its to the point where domeone can go, "Goddamn. I want to buy this loving terrain kit already" and the guy reading the post might go "??? its been buyable for a straight year?? wym sold out"

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Im not sure if you are aware but gw has some really baffling regional availability problems. Its to the point where domeone can go, "Goddamn. I want to buy this loving terrain kit already" and the guy reading the post might go "??? its been buyable for a straight year?? wym sold out"

Not only that, GW is limiting most new items to the point where a store gets *one* copy of a game/book/model and does not get restocks for months, if ever. It's ludicrous.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

I'm getting the Warhammer Alliance Resource Pack to hopefully start a Kill Team/Warcry program at my library. The contents come with Stormcast Vindicators, Kruleboyz, Space Marine Intercessors and Necron Warriors.

The first three are straightforward, but is there a way for me to kitbash or modify the Warriors into a usable (or god forbid, fun) Kill Team?

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Lumbermouth posted:

I'm getting the Warhammer Alliance Resource Pack to hopefully start a Kill Team/Warcry program at my library. The contents come with Stormcast Vindicators, Kruleboyz, Space Marine Intercessors and Necron Warriors.

The first three are straightforward, but is there a way for me to kitbash or modify the Warriors into a usable (or god forbid, fun) Kill Team?

If you stick some fancy bits on three of them they can be a Despotek, Apprentek, and Plasmancer (Techno and Psycho are on bigger bases) and call the regular ones Immortals, you're just two plasmacytes away from Heirotech Circle!

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Lumpy posted:

If you stick some fancy bits on three of them they can be a Despotek, Apprentek, and Plasmancer (Techno and Psycho are on bigger bases) and call the regular ones Immortals, you're just two plasmacytes away from Heirotech Circle!

I'll post pics of the kit when it arrives, I'm pretty sure they're all going to be the free handout models from the GW store.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Cease to Hope posted:

I'm gonna gnaw this bone some more because

I think you're making reasonable arguments. Some of it is "this game has a steep learning curve and lots of traps for new people" and I think that can be true of good games and still an obstacle. Some of it still boils down to "the teams are imbalanced" and that's very fair and IMO the biggest issue with blood bowl - that is, I don't think the potential for a "death spiral" as you call it is the biggest issue, it's just part of the game, and part of playing blood bowl is getting through periods (or whole seasons) where your team is suffering from a chronic lack of alive players to field. For some players that leads them to just always playing dwarves or whatever in response, which IMO is going right back to the "imbalanced teams" problem.

An illustration of why bashy vs. non-bashy isn't really the problem is that the top-tier best teams aren't all bashy. You can choose between bashy and elfy on one axis and playing skaven or elves is just as potentially winning as playing dwarves or undead. But the other axis is playing tier 1 teams vs. playing poo poo tier 3- teams and that sucks when your poo poo team plays an elfy team because they score on you at will and you can't manage to hit them because of all the Dodge... and then playing a poo poo tier 3 team against bashy and that sucks more because all your guys die.

There's still that high element of chance. Top tier poker players can go on a losing streak that lasts months or years, and every once in a while some rando goes deep in the world series of poker because luck is a big component and streaks is how probability works. It may be no coincidence that I also really love poker. Some folks really can't stand being dealt pocket aces and then losing to some jackoff who played 89 unsuited and hit trips on the river, because they "should have won" based on the odds, and maybe that pot was the biggest pot of their lifetime as well. Painful. Most of the best poker players accept that as part of the game, though, and know that if they play a hundred thousand hands, going all in with their pocket aces against 89 will win more than it loses.

Good play with a balance of pushing luck vs. ending your turn conservatively will win out over time, but it can take dozens of games (many seasons, if you play league) to see that pattern solidly emerge and a lot of players don't have the patience to play blood bowl that much.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Blitz Bowl is the better game in every way unless you're also the type that really, really loves fantasy football (the spreadsheet kind, not Warhammer Fantasy Football).

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.
Blitz Bowl is absolutely a better-designed game in terms of avoiding traps and maintaining balance. At the same time, it’s not going to scratch the same gameplay itch for me like Blood Bowl does in either well-run leagues or NAF tournaments.

I think Guild Ball is an interesting comparison - it’s a game that didn’t reach a solved state so much as it had a steep curve that prioritized player skill (or so I’m led to believe - I am not a Guild Ball player beyond a few demo games) to the point where winning could feel completely out of reach for newer players until they got a handle on things. I’d love if someone with more experience could comment on that.

One thing I’ve started trying to play with these days are Control teams - teams like Imperial Nobility, Khemri, and Nurgle who aim to control the pitch in a way that’s not just bashing. Yeah, Nurgle has great bash, but they really excel at the denial and positioning game, as do Nobility with their starting skills and “expected” playstyle. I’m really liking Nobility so far, at least in terms of making me really, really think about how to position everyone, and the hilariously awful linemen really cinch the deal - why they have 4+ AG is gonna confuse me forever.

dmnz
Feb 14, 2012

BNNRROWNWNWOWOWOWO

Leperflesh posted:

Good play with a balance of pushing luck vs. ending your turn conservatively will win out over time, but it can take dozens of games (many seasons, if you play league) to see that pattern solidly emerge and a lot of players don't have the patience to play blood bowl that much.

And those that do stick with it, and learn its nuances, get to play one of the truly excellent games that GW have produced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

berzerkmonkey posted:

Not only that, GW is limiting most new items to the point where a store gets *one* copy of a game/book/model and does not get restocks for months, if ever. It's ludicrous.

:(