Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Ytlaya posted:

New video about Junpei

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijU8Lt5sXfY

Gonna be honest - don't like his English VA. Wasn't his original English VA some sort of sex pest or something, so now it's someone new?

His original VA was Vic Mignogna who has spent the past seven or so years involved in numerous lawsuits regarding him being a sexpest and a general piece of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Zeno Robinson is cool, cuz he was Hunter on Owl House and Haruki from the Ultraman Z dub and Fogado from the latest Fire Emblem.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Eh, I like Junpei's new voice. Ken's new voice seems better from that short clip too

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Zeno Robinson is cool, I'll get used to this change pretty quick. Akihiko, Yukari, and Ken might need more time to adjust. Nothing against Alejandro Saab, but if Kaiji Tang hadn't already been Iwai I bet he could have been an excellent Akihiko.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Honestly Junpei's new actor sounds better than his old one to me. He's clearly got more range.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Ytlaya posted:

New video about Junpei

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijU8Lt5sXfY

Gonna be honest - don't like his English VA. Wasn't his original English VA some sort of sex pest or something, so now it's someone new?

Yes, also a super-Christian creep. He makes every character sound like a brat. So yes, Junpei having a new voice actor at least gives people the chance to like the character this time around.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
It's funny how in the FemC route in P3P, you can do all of Junpei's social links where he becomes super chill with you BEFORE the point in the plot where he gets super jealous that you're the leader, and it feels so disjointed.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Clarste posted:

It's funny how in the FemC route in P3P, you can do all of Junpei's social links where he becomes super chill with you BEFORE the point in the plot where he gets super jealous that you're the leader, and it feels so disjointed.

All part of the problem when you gate character growth behind SL advancement that you can complete as fast as you can. Kinda like how Ryuji's maturity as seen in his confidant events gets tossed by the wayside when he has to act like a moron again to advance the plot.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Clarste posted:

Isn't his jealousy only really prominent in like the first couple Full Moon missions? After that it becomes more of an issue with validation than anything. You can't really get Junpei to SL10 before he gets really grumpy about you being the leader again.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

not having your party members be social links was better honestly

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
There's always been some. Yukari, Mitsuru and Fuuka were always party members with S Links.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

cock hero flux posted:

not having your party members be social links was better honestly

I mean they showed off how to do it with P5R. You can do the initial stuff but you have to wait for a big plot point to unlock the rest.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Party members being s. links is bad because it's difficult/impossible to fully equate main story characterization with all possible options for how far the player is on their s.link so they just seem incredibly disparate.

On the other hand, party members not being s. links is also bad because when the entire concept of your game is gaining power via friendship and other bonds you would think the people you fight alongside would be obvious choices.

Also as annoying as Junpei is he is not Kenji.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I like these new events they're showing in the trailer, though. The watermelon scene makes him come across as more goofy and charming which is nice.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Hellioning posted:

Party members being s. links is bad because it's difficult/impossible to fully equate main story characterization with all possible options for how far the player is on their s.link so they just seem incredibly disparate.

On the other hand, party members not being s. links is also bad because when the entire concept of your game is gaining power via friendship and other bonds you would think the people you fight alongside would be obvious choices.

Also as annoying as Junpei is he is not Kenji.

you can always just make them automatic story s links, which 3 sort of did already since there was a SEES link, although that does unfortunately make it so that the related arcana gets lovely bonuses for most of the game

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I'm gonna say that as much as I prefer 4 and 5 to 3 as whole games, 3 did have a good idea in that the party Links that the game had were unrelated to the character's main arc and instead were basically side stories with the character, and I think they should go back to having plot-relevant characters get complete character arcs in the main plot and having Social Links/Confidants be about something else.

Fuckin burn everything else 3 did with its Links though, a very generous appraisal might put half of the Links in the game as tolerable.

Commander Keene fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Oct 17, 2023

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

honestly at least i remember most of the 3 s. links. a lot of the 4 and 5 ones blend together

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
The trailer starts with the MC giving Junpei flowers? The yaoification is starting.

Nice they kept Junpei's long neck too

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Commander Keene posted:

I'm gonna say that as much as I prefer 4 and 5 to 3 as whole games, 3 did have a good idea in that the party Links that the game had were unrelated to the character's main arc and instead were basically side stories with the character, and I think they should go back to having plot-relevant characters get complete character arcs in the main plot and having Social Links/Confidants be about something else.

Fuckin burn everything else 3 did with its Links though, a very generous appraisal might put half of the Links in the game as tolerable.

Let's see, let's use the male's side, to be harsher:

Kenji: trash
Fuuka: tolerable, but unfortunate forced harem
Mitsuru: burger tier, but unfortunate forced harem
Hidetoshi: tolerable, I guess
Old Couple: good, gives free bread
Yukari: good enough, but unfortunate forced harem
Kaz: fine
Chihiro: polarizing, plus unfortunate forced harem
Yuko: best girl
Glasses guy: forgettable, but tolerable
Maya: 2006 leetspeak tier (tolerable?)
Maiko: tolerable plus one of the links you can actually do during exam/summer
Bebe: bebe tier (good?)
Tanaka: polarizing, but at least it's auto-rank up
Mutatsu: tolerable
Nozomi: get out
Mamoru: fine
Akinari: best
Aigis: fine, I guess

I guess that's barely a passing rate if you nix the unfortunate forced harem ones. The worst ones really are Kenji and Nozomi. Possibly Tanaka but at least it's easy.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

I liked the Kenji link when I was 16 years old and played p3 for the first time.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Also yeah everything else aside I can generally remember every p3 link. I cannot say the same for 4 and 5 lol

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the tanaka s. link owns

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Tanaka's slink is pretty wild. Just him ranting at you in between blackmail and threats while he slowly discovers compassion or generosity or whatever.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
there's a reason he's one of the non-Igor characters who returns in both P4 and 5, if only to sell stuff!

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I still wanna know what happened between 4 and 5 to send him into hiding on the dark web after being on top of the world as the Billy Mays of Japan.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Gonna do the other two games, because why not.

P4:

Yosuke: good
Yukiko: wobbly ending, but... alright, if kinda boring
Margaret: not even a real link
Kanji: best
Dojima: great
Rise: ehhh
Chie: cop tier, otherwise just kinda there
Nanako: great
Sports: Daisuke good, Kou's okay (but I always pick soccer anyway)
Naoto: good
Fox: fox tier
Naoki: lowkey great
Hisano: great
Eri: pretty forgettable honestly
Sayako: restraining order
Shu: pretty bleh
Ai: great
Arts: Ayane's fine, Yumi... not great
Marie: good rank 9, but all the forced extra hangouts drag it down
Adachi: eh, it exists

Better passing rate than P3, at least? Some good highs but I don't think any of them are Akinari tier (but I do think Naoki is underrated).

P5:

Makoto: bad
Haru: okay, with a crushing rejection scene
Yusuke: average, only good for jesus pose
Sojiro: great
Ann: bad, but not Makoto bad
Ryuji: good
Akechi: it's... okay? I don't care much about Adachi really
Twins: Margaret but a little better
Chihaya: it exists, probably below average
Futaba: great (don't romance your surrogate sister you weirdos)
Iwai: great
Takemi: alright
Becky: good and bad at the same time??
Ohya: bad
Mishima: surprisingly not bad, character aside
Hifumi: good
Yoshida: good
Yoshizawa: it's fine, for a semi-forced link
Maruki: good

Verdict: not bad overall, but some real stinkers among the party links and outside of Sojiro/Futaba, nothing outstanding

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

People have poo poo on P4 Temperance for as long as I've been part of the fandom (and probably before I was around to pay attention) but I like it. It's not the greatest but it's very wholesome and down-to-earth. I think it works for the same reason Dojima works so well. P4 is really good at telling stories about struggling single parents (basically single parents for Eri) trying to fix things with their child.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yeah I don't actually dislike Eri (same reason I don't dislike Maiko), it's one of those links that actually gets better as you get older. But I won't deny that it's ultimately one of the ones that's easiest to ignore because there are more interesting links to do on any given day. Even on weeks when your school friends are all busy, you can do something like Marie instead.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
P4 tower > P5 tower

Love that little nerd

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Oh I just realized I completely forgot GET SMOKED kid in my writeups. Uhh he's okay I guess.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Naoki and Hisano are the best ones

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Death would be the best SL across the three games for me if P3's wasn't automatic. As it stands, Hierophant takes it overall among player-driven SLs.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I don't think there's inherently any issue with having party members be social links. You just gotta write them to be stories that can advance on their own track regardless of the character's headspace in the main plot, which most of them do. Half the side stories are just also kind of boring and unimportant, but there's no reason they have to be.

People keep bringing up Ryuji as the biggest issue, and I gotta say, I don't think the contrast between his confidant and his plot character is the problem. His confidant is the story of how he has outgrown the track team and found his own place in the world, but he still wants to do right by them and help them stand up for themselves, which is told competently, while his struggle in the main plot is that he wants to be recognized for his work as a Phantom Thief, despite the fact that anonymity is core to their whole M.O. There is a contradiction there, but a very human one that doesn't make him an inconsistent character. The issue is that he is also the designated horny teenager and idiot loudmouth when the plot demands one; but that's an issue with the main plot that is still there if you discount his confidant, since it also gives him a fair share of moments where he's allowed to be mature and emotionally intelligent.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
At the end of P5 Ryuji moves away from Tokyo because there aren't any physical therapists there.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
But the Yakuza games told me that Japan is just filled with physical therapy clinics

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Saagonsa posted:

I liked the Kenji link when I was 16 years old and played p3 for the first time.

This.

Also MFs complain that the s link is about helping your classmate try to get with a teacher yet love blackmailing your teacher into a relationship in P5...Hypocrites much?? :evilbuddy:

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Ibram Gaunt posted:

This.

Also MFs complain that the s link is about helping your classmate try to get with a teacher yet love blackmailing your teacher into a relationship in P5...Hypocrites much?? :evilbuddy:

If that was the only choice then sure. P5 in general has the option of not doing harem poo poo and the better choice is essentially creating a temporary refuge for your teacher and with some phantom thief help allow her to once again be the teacher she wanted to be.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I really don't get preferring 3's Social Links. They are underwritten to the extreme. Like half the ranks consist of exactly one minor interaction or piece of information being learned, followed by "Your relationship is stronger now!" Say what you will about the other games' Social Links, but they generally actually sit with the characters for more than a few lines.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

And while we're on the subject of teachers, the Hermit SL in 3 is waaaaaaaay worse than you probably remember. Toriumi explicitly states her intent to groom you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Neeksy posted:

I like these new events they're showing in the trailer, though. The watermelon scene makes him come across as more goofy and charming which is nice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8Kasz1-xtw