Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
But, but channel 9 found this one Aboriginal bloke who didn't like it!

The community was split! The community was split!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

BrigadierSensible posted:

The use of US style misinformation campaigns over facebook/ticktock etc. worked with the culture war on race, now they are going to do it on gender.

I mean we all knew how racist Australia is/was, now we get to see how many TERFs are among us.

Which will be fun.

They've been pushing this just as long as the US and UK have and Australians don't seem particularly interested. Even in the US it only really gains traction in the red states, for obvious reasons.

(Still remains a bit of a puzzle to me as to how and why the UK went so thoroughly TERF-brained, though.)

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

freebooter posted:

They've been pushing this just as long as the US and UK have and Australians don't seem particularly interested. Even in the US it only really gains traction in the red states, for obvious reasons.

(Still remains a bit of a puzzle to me as to how and why the UK went so thoroughly TERF-brained, though.)

Mumsnet basically

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

The Mumsnet explanation is definitely my favourite one but I can't really truly bring myself to believe it

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

I thought it was due to the UK being so blanketed in Murdoch media that no matter where you turn there's a news show, newspaper or whatever blasting trans people?

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

But, but channel 9 found this one Aboriginal bloke who didn't like it!

The community was split! The community was split!

also:

https://www.skynews.com.au/australi...7443e838611827a

'RAY MARTIN YOU APOLOGISE TO AUSSIE AUSTRALIA' - man who literally turned his back and walked out on the apology to the stolen generation because getting pissed off at boomer racists is BAD but an act of genocide? well what's the overall harm here amirite? cos we all know colonialism has been good for indigenous people of Australia (hey look the LNP found a first nation person willing to sell out for a seat at the table and back that up too).

I don't think I was this loving pissed off when Joe Hockey handed down his trash gently caress-the-poor budget.

:argh:

SecretOfSteel fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Oct 16, 2023

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

hooman posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2023/oct/15/indigenous-communities-overwhelmingly-voted-yes-to-australias-voice-to-parliament

Wow, who would have thought that the people concerned would want representation!

Good thing the no (progressive) won! Now they get an even better outcome, I assume.

But that would mean jacinta was lying

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

freebooter posted:

The Mumsnet explanation is definitely my favourite one but I can't really truly bring myself to believe it

It's real. Mumsnet used to get Reddit style Q&A sessions with prominent political figures all the time and it has a huge user base. The moral panic stuff was spread on there. The mainstream media make it louder but the largest parenting assistance website in the UK got targeted by anti trans activists and pitched a message that resonated with users.

It's a real internet makes you stupid success story.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Lol i read some history of Mumsnet and now I've learnt that it is legal in the UK for sales representatives to access maternity wards in hospitals in order to sell expecting or new mothers products room by room like door to door salespeople.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

well they're probably relevant and useful goods and services

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Anidav posted:

Lol i read some history of Mumsnet and now I've learnt that it is legal in the UK for sales representatives to access maternity wards in hospitals in order to sell expecting or new mothers products room by room like door to door salespeople.

I'm sure all the people being sold to are in a condition to both receive visitors and make rational economic decisions.

I absolutely wouldn't throw anyone through a wall who tried this on with me present.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

hooman posted:

I'm sure all the people being sold to are in a condition to both receive visitors and make rational economic decisions.

I absolutely wouldn't throw anyone through a wall who tried this on with me present.

I am pretty sure if anyone tried that at my old ward at SCGH, the nurse coordinator there would go super saiyan and murder whoever attempted it.

She was a very very very scary person if you got on her wrong side (but the most amazing, caring and protective person towards her patients).

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Hello, I am Cassandra from Huggies Nappies, now I know you are experiencing discomfort due to contraction but an inferior nappy brand will be even more uncomfortable for your little bundle of joy.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Anidav posted:

Hello, I am Cassandra from Huggies Nappies, now I know you are experiencing discomfort due to contraction but an inferior nappy brand will be even more uncomfortable for your little bundle of joy.

I don't beleive you.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

GoldStandardConure posted:

I don't beleive you.

Nah, studies do show inferior nappy brand will be even more uncomfortable for your little bundle of joy.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Now that you're full of drugs and dopamine it's the perfect time to talk about investing in NFTs to secure your child's future!

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

dr_rat posted:

Nah, studies do show inferior nappy brand will be even more uncomfortable for your little bundle of joy.

it was a cassandra joke

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I know you've just had a needle inserted into your spinal cord and are about to be cut open by strangers but have you thought about nappy rash prevention.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
*smacks newborn off breast* you should be giving your baby formula

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Anidav posted:

I know you've just had a needle inserted into your spinal cord and are about to be cut open by strangers but have you thought about nappy rash prevention.

epidurals are loving great, if you are ever offered one you should take it

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Non Compos Mentis posted:

*smacks newborn off breast* you should be giving your baby formula

Calm down, Nestle

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

it was a cassandra joke

A typical sort of excuse someone who buys inferior brand nappies would make.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

BrigadierSensible posted:

The use of US style misinformation campaigns over facebook/ticktock etc. worked with the culture war on race, now they are going to do it on gender.

I mean we all knew how racist Australia is/was, now we get to see how many TERFs are among us.

Which will be fun.

freebooter posted:

Scott Morrison tried to stoke the TERF fire back in August 2019 when he threw a fit about gender neutral bathrooms in parliament house but it didn't gain a lot of traction. The LNP were super keen to spring into action on the issue, though:

quote:

Internal emails obtained under freedom of information laws – but heavily redacted – reveal deputy and assistant secretaries worked into the night after Mr Morrison seized on a tweet by a high-profile journalist and insisted the "ridiculous" bathroom signs be taken down.

Deputy secretaries Stephanie Foster, David Gruen and Simon Duggan, acting chief people officer Rosie Hunt‐Walshe, first assistant secretary Paul Wood and then assistant secretary Susan Fitzgerald were among the senior bureaucrats drawn into the toilet controversy.

"I'll be in early tomorrow and have cleared my diary as much as possible, so I am on hand for any conversations required with Stephanie and/or the Network about next steps," Ms Hunt-Walshe wrote at 6.45pm after dealing with the issue for several hours.
https://www.smh.com.au/politics/fed...122-p53d1y.html

They obviously had to put a pin in that all throughout covid when they had a tastier culture war to fight but now that the pandemic has mostly dropped out of the news cycle they'll be getting back to business.

Australia also has a growing number of conspiracy weirdos and they're always obsessed with crazy pedophilia accusations so they'll no doubt go hand in hand with TERFS. Here's a QANON protester in Melbourne during the 2020 lockdowns:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

freebooter posted:

The theory I heard is that intersectionality was less of a factor in the UK than in the US and so second wave feminism stuck around for a bit longer, leading to TERFery.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Every time I try to educate myself about #ritual child sacrifice the police get a little antsy :(

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Ps Bucky you should sue the abc for copyright infringement

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-10-17/voice-referendum-infected-disinformation-australians-lies/102981108

The Voice campaign was infected with disinformation. Who's in charge of inoculating Australians against lies?

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

Got the full series of Harry Potter on my shelf and now I'm not so sure I even want it there.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

SecretOfSteel posted:

Got the full series of Harry Potter on my shelf and now I'm not so sure I even want it there.

you're right, you should replace it with Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality.

ssmagus
Apr 2, 2010
Assmagus, LPer ass-traordinaire

you're right, you should replace it with Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality.

Replacing garbage with garbage is still ending up with garbage

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

SecretOfSteel posted:

they're not very good books, op

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

I got summons to do jury duty in 3 weeks time. Any suggestions to keep my sanity for 4 weeks?

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

I am pretty sure if anyone tried that at my old ward at SCGH, the nurse coordinator there would go super saiyan and murder whoever attempted it.

She was a very very very scary person if you got on her wrong side (but the most amazing, caring and protective person towards her patients).

I love old school nurses.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Eediot Jedi posted:

Ps Bucky you should sue the abc for copyright infringement

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-10-17/voice-referendum-infected-disinformation-australians-lies/102981108

The Voice campaign was infected with disinformation. Who's in charge of inoculating Australians against lies?

The goal of my stuff has always been to get journalists to talk about it so it's good to see them start to catch up and I'd much rather buy that guy a beer.

Election misinformation is only one tiny part of it. Like snowglobe said, said pedophilia narratives are way more pervasive, and probably more powerful, and yes that fits unsettlingly well with anti-trans narratives.

And it doesn't have an AEC equivalent to counter it. No one is in charge, and even the suggestion that perhaps there should be carries unavoidable and worryingly Orwellian overtones.

But that's a decent article, thanks.

quote:

For years, Russian deception campaigns injected a plume of lies into the British public debate. Spread by cable television station RT and a horde of internet bots, the disinformation amplified an already growing sense of chaos.

In the national debate which followed, Britain's internal security agency MI5 maintained it had failed to identify evidence of "successful interference" in the referendum. But a parliamentary inquiry later found this was because the agency had never bent to the task of looking for it.

To suggest there had been no interference was "inconceivable", the inquiry report said. After all, the Kremlin had felt comfortable dispatching hit squads onto British streets carrying nuclear and chemical weapons. Troll farms and internet bots spouting anti-EU fallacies was small beer.

The parliament asked a salient question: Which security agency is in charge of protecting the very institutions of democracy upon which the Westminster system relies? After a protracted inquiry, the answer it produced was: "No one."

"The outrage isn't if there is interference," said one member of the intelligence committee that produced its report. "The outrage is no one wanted to know."

The Albanese government is now attempting to address parts of the misinformation challenge. But its proposal to grant new powers to the communications watchdog is being treated with great wariness for its potential to curb legitimate political expression.

Meanwhile, a major cyber security report by global intelligence research organisation Recorded Future has revealed concerted efforts by far-right groups and an army of inauthentic bots to spread false information denigrating the Voice to Parliament.

In August, Meta shut down 9,000 Facebook and Instagram accounts run by a group linked to Chinese authorities, dubbed Spamouflage, that had been churning out spam convenient to Beijing. The group had also been toying with people's perceptions of the Voice.

"We have definitely seen some actors trying to interfere in the Voice," disinformation researcher Albert Zhang told me. "Some actors were amplifying both pro and anti-Voice sentiments … trying to sow discord and undermine public trust in the Australian government itself."

It's in response to this vulnerability that the AEC has been lobbying its partners on the integrity taskforce to do more. While it can continue putting out spot fires about the electoral process, someone needs to work on "inoculating the population against disinformation", Ekin-Smyth said.

"We need a whole-of-government disinformation awareness campaign — we have been saying that for a little while. It does not seem to be on the agenda."

I asked all seven partner agencies about their position on this. Not one of them answered.

It seems little has changed from two years ago, when our security officials displayed open confusion as to who was really in charge of the problem.

For now, it is Indigenous Australia which is reeling from the weekend's vote and the lies which underpinned it.

But we all risk a dear price should we march on as we are, sleepwalking towards a future in which nothing at all can be trusted.

Indeed Linton, indeed.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Budzilla posted:

I got summons to do jury duty in 3 weeks time. Any suggestions to keep my sanity for 4 weeks?

stab yourself in the leg

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

Budzilla posted:

If it's anything like mine years ago, good luck. I was elected foreman despite only being 20 at the time because I was the only one who had paid any attention to the instructions we were given by the judge. The rest of my group were all retirees with nothing better to do with their time and who didn't pay much attention to things like evidence.

It might help to focus on being potentially the only bulwark against a jury voting by its gut instead of the case presented to them. But that might just break your sanity sooner.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Bucky Fullminster posted:

The goal of my stuff has always been to get journalists to talk about it so it's good to see them start to catch up and I'd much rather buy that guy a beer.

Election misinformation is only one tiny part of it. Like snowglobe said, said pedophilia narratives are way more pervasive, and probably more powerful, and yes that fits unsettlingly well with anti-trans narratives.

And it doesn't have an AEC equivalent to counter it. No one is in charge, and even the suggestion that perhaps there should be carries unavoidable and worryingly Orwellian overtones.

But that's a decent article, thanks.

Indeed Linton, indeed.

Somethings wrong, the abc article isn't a nine hour read though

Lamestream media are cowards

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

Captain Theron posted:

It might help to focus on being potentially the only bulwark against a jury voting by its gut instead of the case presented to them. But that might just break your sanity sooner.

Well poo poo.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

It's no His Dark Materials, but I read the entire Harry Potter series to my kids and it's fine to good. Except the climax of the big climactic battle scene being Mrs Weasly yelling "you BITCH!" at one of the bad guys. Felt incongruous for a kids book.

Also the logic behind setting him up in the tri-wizard tournament to get him to touch the thing at the end which would transport him to the villain's lair, when it would have been a million times easier for them to make literally anything else a transporter, and get him to touch that instead.

Now I'm going through The Keys to The Kingdom series, by an Australian guy, and it's... eh. Kind of messy and weird and tiring. We're four sevenths of the way through and I've asked if we could bail but they said no, so on we march.

I, Butthole posted:

Somethings wrong, the abc article isn't a nine hour read though

Lamestream media are cowards

oh hey look it's this joke again. how flattering to be the sole focus of your posts in this thread.

It's a pretty good start, give him a break.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
read deltora

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
read stephen kings the dark tower to your kids