Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
By my count, that's 2 xenos, a mutant (an essential one, true, but a mutant nonetheless) and a Cold Trader. I'd say that's more than enough heresy :colbert:

I mean, hell- romancing Cassia could potentially cripple the Imperium more than the loss of your entire House!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

CommissarMega posted:

Honestly, I'm kind of with the redditors on this one; no lesbian romance I can think of, and having the sole gay male romance be a Drukhari is all kinds of :yikeseroo: if you ask me.

Yeaahh as a lesbian I am unironically disappointed but I assume modders will fix things :shrug:

Countzer
May 27, 2022

Xun posted:

Yeaahh as a lesbian I am unironically disappointed but I assume modders will fix things :shrug:

Both bi options are women, it's mostly gay guys that get the short end of the stick on this one.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
If this game doesnt let me date a Tyranid I'll consider it a miss. :colbert:

I just finished BG3 after also getting back into 40k after about 13 years and this game couldnt be better timed imo. I know nothing about it though, were the pathfider crpgs any good? Kingmaker would crash on me a lot last time I tried it...

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Shoehead posted:

were the pathfider crpgs any good?

I thought WotR was great, but I wasn't really sold on Kingmaker. The latter felt too generic, and was a little too poorly-optimized when I played it (understandable, considering it was Owlcat's first outing). The encounter design was also a little too overtuned towards "Pathfinder grognard" so people unfamiliar with the system got their asses kicked.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

CommissarMega posted:

By my count, that's 2 xenos, a mutant (an essential one, true, but a mutant nonetheless) and a Cold Trader. I'd say that's more than enough heresy :colbert:

I mean, hell- romancing Cassia could potentially cripple the Imperium more than the loss of your entire House!

Never enough. Let me date a daemon, the machine-spirit of the rogue-trader vessel, and a renegade space marine.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Countzer posted:

Both bi options are women, it's mostly gay guys that get the short end of the stick on this one.

Not sure why that means I still can't be disappointed anyway? But it is kind of weird that the only gay dude option is a deldar of all things. Basically:

The Lone Badger posted:

Never enough. Let me date a daemon, the machine-spirit of the rogue-trader vessel, and a renegade space marine.

Countzer
May 27, 2022

Xun posted:

Not sure why that means I still can't be disappointed anyway? But it is kind of weird that the only gay dude option is a deldar of all things. Basically:

I assumed that you didn't read the spoilers and went strictly by "no lesbian romance" meaning "there is no sapphic stuff in the game", hence why my reply basically amounted to "there is sapphic stuff in the game, just with bi women". Fair enough otherwise.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I will be too busy propagating space fascism to gently caress anyone

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

JBP posted:

The Emperor thanks you for your service.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Let me gently caress the emperor

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I played some of the beta and it's very 40K which is good. It all seems pretty nice if slightly jarring coming from BG3 its vastly reduced options. Like theres a box on a walkway and I just can't workout how to get it because I can't jump.

But overall feels fun and grimdark

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Romances in rpg games are usually okay at best, rarely will they be done well enough to warrant serious discussion and praise. I can't think of any great ones aside from Witcher 3, and even that is hugely complex and takes a ton of stuff assumed from the novels.

The Bioware romances were a cool novelty that made you more invested in the storytelling, stretching them across multiple games like Liara was pretty bold and really made you invest in the characters in a way most games can't. Still they kept pushing the limits on the sex scenes to the point of it coming off as corny instead of sexy or romantic, whatever the intent was.

That said, Eldar seem humans as slightly intelligent monkeys, so having an Eldar/Human romance is weird for a lot of reasons other then which specific gender they are in to.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Xun posted:

The romance options are critical

this

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Yngwie Mangosteen posted:

thought this was the bg3 thread for a moment and had a post all ready to go

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

pentyne posted:

Romances in rpg games are usually okay at best, rarely will they be done well enough to warrant serious discussion and praise. I can't think of any great ones aside from Witcher 3, and even that is hugely complex and takes a ton of stuff assumed from the novels.

The Bioware romances were a cool novelty that made you more invested in the storytelling, stretching them across multiple games like Liara was pretty bold and really made you invest in the characters in a way most games can't. Still they kept pushing the limits on the sex scenes to the point of it coming off as corny instead of sexy or romantic, whatever the intent was.

That said, Eldar seem humans as slightly intelligent monkeys, so having an Eldar/Human romance is weird for a lot of reasons other then which specific gender they are in to.

More CRPGs should give me a Garrus, and they should make Garrus bi this time

Also Kim Kitsuragi

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

pentyne posted:

I mean, the Ultramarines did have a half-Eldar Chief Librarian at one point.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Really should bring back as much 1st edition stuff as possible. Tyranid diplomats, weird homoerotic marine rituals, beastmen in the imperial guard. Better times.

I mean squats are back anything is possible.

Terrible Opinions fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Oct 17, 2023

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

I gently caress for the Emperor.

Countzer
May 27, 2022

JBP posted:

Inefficient. Have kids, give them guns. You will cover more ground.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Can I just tell both the Emperor and Chaos to gently caress OFF instead?

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Best I can do is a threeway.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

cuntman.net posted:

thought this was the bg3 thread for a moment and had a post all ready to go

post it here or dm me immediately

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

i was going to say something like "i have good news"

in baldurs gate 3 you can gently caress a character called the emperor who is a manipulative, psionic, glamour using, founder of the state who believes his species is superior

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I hope they tighten up the encounter design a bit. A few times now if entered a fight and people 3 screens away have gotten in on it, so after the first fuseilade of fire it just a few turns of running towards each other.

That and let me peek round cover, there's a few police squad moments where I'm opposite people in cover and we can't see each other, or worse they can see me but I can't see them.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
This spaceport area after the prologue is dire. As an intro to the game it's just nothing but trash fights against 10+ enemies at a time who, when getting crits, can basically one-shot anyone in your party.

I think is is accurate to the ttrp rules, but it's such a slog, and I came across one terribly designed fight where a huge chunk of the floor was blocked off, so half my time was spent moving around via cover in order to just get close enough to the enemies, including a sniper picking off the party as he could.

The reason is sucked more then it should was an idiot npc follower was on the right side, triggered the encounter while my entire team was basically in the middle by an unpassable turret that also offered no cover, and for some reason that loving sniper just would not miss. The whole fight was a bunch of enemies I could essentially one shot kill that took 15 minutes just because of how I had to navigate the map.

Even on normal with a 20% increase to hit enemies it's pretty hard, and the fights are all feel meaningless. I'm starting to make sense of how to use the abilities, and that stacking clues on enemies is the way to go, but I'm so limited by starting powers and equipment, much less barely any grenades, that every fight feels like a save or die moment. The wounds themselves from falling in battle are such a detriment that I can't really see how you could have that happen then continue on playing without returning to the ship to recover.

I played Kingmaker and Wrath on Daring mode, the one step below 'core' (which is hardcore) with build guides for all the characters and being very familiar with that style of rpg. It was hard but understandable. This is so new I don't think I'll try anything harder then one mode above story.

Psyker powers also went from highly useful to marginally good in the space of 1 hour of playtime as my lighting spells no longer one shot kill the enemies, meaning repeated castings and cranking up the Veil damage.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Terrible Opinions posted:

Really should bring back as much 1st edition stuff as possible. Tyranid diplomats, weird homoerotic marine rituals, beastmen in the imperial guard. Better times.

I mean squats are back anything is possible.

As someone with both a League of Votanns army and a Genestealer Cult I'm all for more stupid 1st Ed poo poo coming back. Bring back the Genestealer limo! Put the Squats back on Harleys!

Shoehead fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Oct 18, 2023

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

pentyne posted:

This spaceport area after the prologue is dire. As an intro to the game it's just nothing but trash fights against 10+ enemies at a time who, when getting crits, can basically one-shot anyone in your party.

I think is is accurate to the ttrp rules, but it's such a slog, and I came across one terribly designed fight where a huge chunk of the floor was blocked off, so half my time was spent moving around via cover in order to just get close enough to the enemies, including a sniper picking off the party as he could.

The reason is sucked more then it should was an idiot npc follower was on the right side, triggered the encounter while my entire team was basically in the middle by an unpassable turret that also offered no cover, and for some reason that loving sniper just would not miss. The whole fight was a bunch of enemies I could essentially one shot kill that took 15 minutes just because of how I had to navigate the map.

Even on normal with a 20% increase to hit enemies it's pretty hard, and the fights are all feel meaningless. I'm starting to make sense of how to use the abilities, and that stacking clues on enemies is the way to go, but I'm so limited by starting powers and equipment, much less barely any grenades, that every fight feels like a save or die moment. The wounds themselves from falling in battle are such a detriment that I can't really see how you could have that happen then continue on playing without returning to the ship to recover.

I played Kingmaker and Wrath on Daring mode, the one step below 'core' (which is hardcore) with build guides for all the characters and being very familiar with that style of rpg. It was hard but understandable. This is so new I don't think I'll try anything harder then one mode above story.

Psyker powers also went from highly useful to marginally good in the space of 1 hour of playtime as my lighting spells no longer one shot kill the enemies, meaning repeated castings and cranking up the Veil damage.

That's exactly the fight that made me mad. The mooks aren't mooks so they all move individually so if takes forever for a nothing fight.

Can you return to the ship to recover? I couldn't see how.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

the party portraits and initiative tracker being in opposite locations from bg3 is going to trip me up lol

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
I'll be interested to see how that fight changes at release, since the beta is a year-plus-old build at this point.

The game shouldn't be judged by the beta in any way. It's ancient. The question is precisely what will improve at release, and how.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

pentyne posted:

this is when i fell off the beta, the fights themselves were basically effortless but after the fifth one i just stopped playing. Still keen to pick it back up for the full release though, it really gets 40k.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I'm running a TT Rogue Trader game right now and the flights are just really hard to balance. Everyone is a glass cannon unless you're an ork or a space marine or a tech priest. It's a really swingy system. My players have mostly dealt with it by abusing the purchase system and bringing troops to get ripped apart by demons while the players shoot their bolters and techno blasters from cover.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Arglebargle III posted:

I'm running a TT Rogue Trader game right now and the flights are just really hard to balance. Everyone is a glass cannon unless you're an ork or a space marine or a tech priest. It's a really swingy system. My players have mostly dealt with it by abusing the purchase system and bringing troops to get ripped apart by demons while the players shoot their bolters and techno blasters from cover.

this is pretty 40k

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

sebmojo posted:

this is when i fell off the beta, the fights themselves were basically effortless but after the fifth one i just stopped playing. Still keen to pick it back up for the full release though, it really gets 40k.

I downloaded the Toybox mod that lets you "full rest" which in this game means it just removes those wounds. The one on Argenta was a -20 to Ballistic Skill which at the time is like a 50% decrease to shooting ability for a ranged dps, so no.

Definitely improved overall once I did that, going into combat 'fresh' is the only way to go. Since there's no time management the real option of running back and forth to the void-ship to rest is theoretically possible but lol at valuing your own time so poorly.

I can't really say what would work better other then smaller enemy groups. Using heroic moments you can reliably kill 3-5 trash mobs at once, or go all in on a boss, but to get to that point takes a few rounds where the enemies are barely a threat you just have to thin their numbers and use the abilities that build momentum.

The chaos boss in the sewers was interesting, but once he starts teleporting across the map you need to find ways to exploit movement to get to him quickly. I'm not sure why there isn't a 2x movement at the cost of action points in the game, unless I have missed it entirely.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Arglebargle III posted:

I mean this is literally what you're supposed to do, you're meant to use other dudes as your HP.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Custodes: "buddy they don't even let ME f---..."

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
In the grim darkness of the 4 1st2nd millennium, The Emperor fucks YOU

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

It’s 40K, the Emperor’s hosed everyone for at least 10000 years.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
please do not refer to the Emperor's love in such crude terminology. he's doing this for you, because he cares.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

please do not refer to the Emperor's love in such crude terminology. he's doing this for you, because he cares.

That's exactly what my uncle said to me too.