Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yes, with the exception of utility/emergency vehicles, which can still use them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

If performance looks interesting for older CPUs, I will break out my insane collection of older CPUs and make some charts. Supposedly the game is much more thread aware than CS1, so might be some interesting results.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

MikeJF posted:

The one big thing missing is bikes, though. That's pretty blatantly probably going to be the first expansion.

They have already announced the first expansion is Bridges & Ports, it's on the description of the ultimate edition.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Some sort of transportation DLC including bikes seems guaranteed. Parks DLC. Something to flesh out the industries, every previewer's consensus seems to be the idea is good but the implementation sucks. Campuses and airports if those were popular, who knows what the sales were like.

I also expect packs that add a building theme and a bunch of assets for it. Japan for sure, tons of Japanese players. Korea maybe since they did one before. Anywhere that had a sizeable number of assets in the workshop seems ripe for it, I bet they've combed through that to see what people are interested in.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Probably an eco/green pack and a sci-fi/futuristic pack.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
My first city is gonna be so so bad.
I really look forward to it

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Digital Jedi posted:

My first city is gonna be so so bad.
I really look forward to it

:same:

Also I'm British so I have a cultural aversion to grids which always makes my traffic extra hosed up

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

I'm planning to go hard on building a 15-minute city

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I haven't decided if my first city should be an attempt at no cars paradise or some kind of grinding American hellhole. The way demand works seems to push you very hard into making postwar US sprawl.

I was excited about being able to force people into transit by denying them parking, but then I saw how many of the buildings come with parking that you can't get rid of that I dunno if that's doable. Also the sheer insanity that is the one base game passenger rail station.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
I dunno, the mod and performance stuff has pretty well removed this from my "Buy Day 1" level of anticipation. How often does a game going to their own proprietary walled garden for mod distribution instead of Steam actually work out well for anyone? It generally just seems like a disaster in the waiting. Plus, my 3070 doesn't meet their recommended specs, and I'm not gonna build a new computer for a friggin city builder, so 'oh well', I suppose. I guess I'll circle back in a year or but probably the Great Wall Of Required-To-Have-A-Good-Time DLC will be high enough to deter me from buying it pretty fast if I'm not in on the ground floor and buying stuff as it comes out.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Tarnop posted:

:same:

Also I'm British so I have a cultural aversion to grids which always makes my traffic extra hosed up

Why not build Milton Keynes instead? :unsmigghh:

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Grand Fromage posted:

I haven't decided if my first city should be an attempt at no cars paradise or some kind of grinding American hellhole. The way demand works seems to push you very hard into making postwar US sprawl.

I was excited about being able to force people into transit by denying them parking, but then I saw how many of the buildings come with parking that you can't get rid of that I dunno if that's doable. Also the sheer insanity that is the one base game passenger rail station.

My first city is going to be inspired by the UAE, aka "American postwar sprawl but what if it was even more kitsch?"

Then I'll add in a nice port modeled off Jebel Ali

and top it off with some decadent skyscrapers in the downtown area and beachfront

I need to keep my expectations realistic.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
First DLC should introduce the ability to nuke other people's "cities".

I have a weird fascination with building cities on very hostile terrain. So I'll wait for someone to release a mountain valley map.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Mukaikubo posted:

I dunno, the mod and performance stuff has pretty well removed this from my "Buy Day 1" level of anticipation. How often does a game going to their own proprietary walled garden for mod distribution instead of Steam actually work out well for anyone? It generally just seems like a disaster in the waiting. Plus, my 3070 doesn't meet their recommended specs, and I'm not gonna build a new computer for a friggin city builder, so 'oh well', I suppose. I guess I'll circle back in a year or but probably the Great Wall Of Required-To-Have-A-Good-Time DLC will be high enough to deter me from buying it pretty fast if I'm not in on the ground floor and buying stuff as it comes out.
:same: My PC doesn't meet recommended specs, I will probably "try" it on MS Game pass and I will decide based on that

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Didn't someone say that the "recommended" specs are more like "recommended if you plan on building quite large cities and view them in 4k resolution"?

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010
From the official forums:

quote:

A NOTE ON PERFORMANCE AND OUR COMMITMENT TO PLAYERS

On another note, we've noticed the concerns raised about Cities: Skylines II performance, especially after our previous statement with raised minimum and recommended specs. As we've always believed in transparency, we'd like to further shed some light on the current state of the build.

Cities: Skylines II is a next-gen title, and naturally, it demands certain hardware requirements. With that said, while our team has worked tirelessly to deliver the best experience possible, we have not achieved the benchmark we targeted.

In light of this, we still think for the long-term of the project, releasing now is the best way forward. We are proud of the unique gameplay and features in Cities: Skylines II, and we genuinely believe that it offers a great experience that you will enjoy.

We will continually improve the game over the coming months, but we also want to manage expectations on performance for the coming release. Our ambition is for Cities: Skylines II to be enjoyed by as many players as possible, and we're committed to ensuring it reaches its full potential.

Thanks for your understanding and continuous support. We're lucky to have a community as passionate and dedicated as you.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/updates-on-modding-and-performance-for-cities-skylines-ii.1601865/

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Why don't they just come right out and say "this game is targeted at the next gen consoles and you'll need a computer at least on par with them to play it"? The BS Corporatese is nauseatingly patronizing.

This is their idea of transparency? Transparency would be directly saying "hey, this game we're going to charge you $400 for by the time it's all said and done, you need a pretty beefy rig to play it any further than about 20K pop."

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Eric the Mauve posted:

Why don't they just come right out and say "this game is targeted at the next gen consoles and you'll need a computer at least on par with them to play it"? The BS Corporatese is nauseatingly patronizing.

This is their idea of transparency? Transparency would be directly saying "hey, this game we're going to charge you $400 for by the time it's all said and done, you need a pretty beefy rig to play it any further than about 20K pop."

So are you gonna not buy it?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

My PC is way below recommended specs and I don't own a console, so, no, I am not. Not right away anyhow. In 10 years, maybe.

Which is fine. There is no problem with making a game that you need cutting edge hardware to play. It's just the corporate weasel language they're couching it in that's just, ugh.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Oct 17, 2023

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009
Companies write like that because it works. People get angrier at blunt statements like you want to hear.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Has there been any mention of whether it will be available on GeForce Go? Might be a fine way to play it for a year or two in the interim.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Grand Fromage posted:

It is weird that there's no option for just a basic platform rather than a city center station, guess you could use trams for the connector services

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

Jewmanji posted:

Has there been any mention of whether it will be available on GeForce Go? Might be a fine way to play it for a year or two in the interim.

in a lot of ways C:S2 is the ideal GeForce Now game: high performance requirements but gameplay is not latency-sensitive

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Jewmanji posted:

yes

https://twitter.com/NVIDIAGFN/status/1709969242521481693

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

oh my god they're up to disgaea 7???

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Awesome, thanks! Solves my problem of having a 1070ti

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Dijkstracula posted:

oh my god they're up to disgaea 7???

Disgaea 1 came out over 20 years ago :corsair:

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid

Mukaikubo posted:

How often does a game going to their own proprietary walled garden for mod distribution instead of Steam actually work out well for anyone?

Of the games I play, the gold standard here is probably Factorio. Mods are browsed and installed from within the game itself. It works really well.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

mrpwase posted:

I probably will one day but I live in the north of England where everything is viking settlements with delusions of grandeur

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I'm looking forward to playing this but the performance stuff sounds dire. I'm sure I'll be fine-ish with a 3080ti but either way I'm glad I'll be able to play it on gamepass first so I don't have to pony up to buy it right now.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I've got a pretty good CPU but, since my monitor is 1080p, I haven't upgraded my GPU past a 2060. I'll be Gamepassing it and will report back here with my findings as far as performance goes

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

mrpwase posted:

Milton Keynes was a mistake

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I find it deeply hilarious that some goons will make their stand 43 American dollars, despite the game being something they've waited for. I don't really know what is being shown by this, or to who, by waiting to buy it but saying you buy it eventually. Like basic math tells me that if you spend the same money now or then, you get more value by having it earlier?

Buy the drat game. It'll run fine. And it'll look great going forward when your computers get better.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Oct 17, 2023

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I will invest my 43 dollars and buy CS2 later with passive income

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Vahakyla posted:

I find it deeply hilarious that some goons will make their stand 43 American dollars, despite the game being something they've waited for. I don't really know what is being shown by this, or to who, by waiting to buy it but saying you buy it eventually. Like basic math tells me that if you spend the same money now or then, you get more value by having it earlier?

Buy the drat game. It'll run fine. And it'll look great going forward when your computers get better.

Not really. I don't expect I'll be able to play it much with the hardware I have, and a few years down the road when I finally do have adequate hardware I'll be able to get it much cheaper on sale. Come Summer Sale 2027 or whatever that 43 bucks will buy me the game plus $100 sticker price worth of DLCs.

Plus preordering/day 1 buying any game based on hype alone is always ill advised, unless you're getting a seriously good extra value of some kind out of it. The downside to waiting a couple days to find out if the game is actually good or not is... what, not being one of the Cool Kids in the Day One club?

e: I know I'm the weirdo here though, I hardly ever buy games new or at full price. There are more good games out there than I'll ever have time to play, so I've always been several years behind and happily buying everything at slashed prices. It's the advantage of not gaming socially at all, everything I play is perfectly new to me even though everyone else forgot about it 3 years before I started playing it

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Oct 17, 2023

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Honestly, given that they're being open that it'll be challenging on performance they should probably drop a demo at launch so they don't scare off people they don't need to. It sounds like you'll be able to play fine if you drop a few settings.

explosivo posted:

I'm sure I'll be fine-ish with a 3080ti

Oh you'll be totally fine, a 3080 was the recommended spec. It's the fact that recommended was so high that caused the whole kerfuffle, a relatively small % of PC gamers actually have that much, especially with the card crunch and price escalation.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Vahakyla posted:

I have no doubts that CS2 will be good and fine but I hope all goons exercise their "gamer rights" and not pre-order or buy it before independent reviews based on the final build comes out.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
The patient gamer always wins

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I hope the game has DLSS and does not put too much performance critical crap to e-cores.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Just found out Cities 2 isn't delayed on PC. I had blanked it out of my memory to cope with the delay but now I'm loving hypppeddd. :dogcited: