Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mr Hootington posted:

End of 1988 has a the debut of Dustin Rhodes and his tag team with Kendall Windham. They aren't bad together

It's not really a hot take anymore but Dustin Was Always Good, Actually. Kendall was like maybe a quarter as good as Barry which still means he was very serviceable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Dawgstar posted:

It's not really a hot take anymore but Dustin Was Always Good, Actually. Kendall was like maybe a quarter as good as Barry which still means he was very serviceable.

Yeah Dustin is good in the ring early on. There is some hiccups, but it obvious inexperience more than anything else. Kendall isn't barry, but I think he is good enough for a mid tier tag team. They needed a decent gimmick or better finishers.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

MassRafTer posted:

Why not the second hour was basically the same as the first. Maybe with more matches in the second actually.

Because most of the matches that needed complex explanations tended to happen in the first hour.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

ChrisBTY posted:

Because most of the matches that needed complex explanations tended to happen in the first hour.

This isn't true. I don't know why this myth persists especially in this thread where it has been explained multiple times.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Tell ‘em MRT!

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

MassRafTer posted:

This isn't true. I don't know why this myth persists especially in this thread where it has been explained multiple times.

Everybody knows Tenay was just there to talk about luchadors.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

It's not like WCW announcers ever talked about the match happening in the ring anyway

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Well at least most of Starrcade '88 was fun to watch.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

rujasu posted:

It's not like WCW announcers ever talked about the match happening in the ring anyway

We needed updates on Hollywood Hogan and Big Sexy Kevin Nash.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Dawgstar posted:

He definitely needed to add some mass, though

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Davros1 posted:

He definitely needed to add some mass, though

The dusty rhodes way or the lex lugar way?

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
when kevin nash is not on screen all the other wrestlers should be asking where's kevin nash

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

when kevin nash is not on screen all the other wrestlers should be asking where's citizen of the world kevin nash

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Animal-Mother posted:

We needed updates on Hollywood Hogan and Big Sexy Kevin Nash.

This actually shat young me about WCW.

There would be matches with Jericho, or Raven, or Juventud Guerrera or people I actually cared about going on and doing cool flippy poo poo. But the commentary would be all "Hollywood Hogan put on his right boot first before his big match later tonight. What does that mean for the NwO?"

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

BrigadierSensible posted:

This actually shat young me about WCW.

There would be matches with Jericho, or Raven, or Juventud Guerrera or people I actually cared about going on and doing cool flippy poo poo. But the commentary would be all "Hollywood Hogan put on his right boot first before his big match later tonight. What does that mean for the NwO?"

I always felt like that was fine during the initial formation of the nWo but eventually they were just kind of part of the show and it seemed silly. Sure, talk about the main event stuff a little but my memory recalls it as heavy handed.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

TheKingslayer posted:

I always felt like that was fine during the initial formation of the nWo but eventually they were just kind of part of the show and it seemed silly. Sure, talk about the main event stuff a little but my memory recalls it as heavy handed.

Exactly. There's promoting the main event throughout the show to keep the audience interested, and so they will stay tuned and be excitedto watch it. Which is good. But there is also ignoring everything else, and over saturating your talk about only 1 or 2 guys throughout the show so that when they eventually show up the audience is bored/irritated with them and not excited to see them do their thing. Which is bad, and what WCW did sadly too often.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I still think the wrestlers showing up all through the show at different times in limos was totally sick.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Thinking about it, the way WCW (and WWE) handled this probably helped create a generation of wrestling nerds who judge wrestlers entirely by "workrate" and commentators entirely by their adeptness at play-by-play. I was a part of it!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Remembering Lugar losing to Flair at Starrcade '88 and laughing. Wrestling loves disappointing the fans.

I will be starting 1989 today. I will use the following lists.
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLTP0s7JwUsGymJeb-XBWzBjZqNGa3QlO6&si=CfgjXllXb6HteAwZ
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL76MtjEzwZpyzPzHSgK3tNYW6J0Nbvvfb&si=AobF_C00WsuLQhyU
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLrwIeyq0Kr7EzMyQwl-BsgbHfz6qOKv__&si=bNhguJ765byd57o7
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8myKBInNrloPydQ7AFCKSMSW6OoOncEg&si=7lkke1-hp2P8-nCW

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Oct 17, 2023

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Luger could have been huge but wcw always hosed on him! 89 rules so i will be watching as much as i can with you

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Every company was Lucy with the football when it comes to Luger.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.
I remember watching the highlights of the dusty finish for Luger vs. Flair at the Bash, I think it was, and Luger jumping up in the air. Man I was bummed when they took it away.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Every company was Lucy with the football when it comes to Luger.

Linus and Luger

Peppermint Patterson

ZixTheYeti
Jul 12, 2005

Hellarious!

Animal-Mother posted:

Peppermint Patterson

Marcie Brisco: “You got it, ma’am.”

Peppermint Patterson: “And stop calling me MA’AM!”

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Von Linus posted:

I remember watching the highlights of the dusty finish for Luger vs. Flair at the Bash, I think it was, and Luger jumping up in the air. Man I was bummed when they took it away.

Is this better or worse than being lifted up by the faces after not beating Yokozuna at Summerslam?

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Is this better or worse than being lifted up by the faces after not beating Yokozuna at Summerslam?

Luger was cool in 89, he was a Yankee doodle dandy dickhead at summerslam. I wanted America to be crushed beneath mighty japanese buttocks. In hindsight, Luger at Summerslam is typical of american military onanism.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Almost the entirety of Yokozuna's almost record breaking world title run for a heel is due to Vince throwing the faces who he intended to be champion in the trash.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Oh come on, Luger got the W... by countout, and then had a big ol' heroes celebration like he ended WW3 even though he didn't get the title and lost the rights to challenge Yoko again.

WWF booking at its finest.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Par for the course for Luger, really. Some people complain he never loved The Business but honestly he was Charlie Brown and The Business was Lucy with a football.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I think this episode of NWA main event has the last dusty rhodes match before he was fired in 1989.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrIw4Us_OnI
The match is a 6 man tag team with a weird mix of teams. It isn't a bad match.

Farewell Paul Jones. He quit WCW at the end of 1988. He was a good heel manager, but that last year felt like they didn't have much for him to do after the powers of pain left.

I was a bit spoiled and know JJ Dillion leaves soon too. That sucks. He is a great heel manager.

I've come around on Paul Dangerously.

I like Junkyard Dog.

Not many other changes, returns, or new wrestlers yet.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

where the hell is muta!!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I don't know who that is

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

RICKY "THE DRAGON" STEAMBOAT IS BACK!

Oh yeah I'm ready to see this.

Edit: watching him wreck Flair and Windham in his return match rules. Wasn't expecting him. I think he left the end of '84, but I had watched some stuff with him and enjoyed him.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Oct 19, 2023

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Mr Hootington posted:

I don't know who that is

i am waiting for you to see him, he's my favorite wrestler :)

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Here is a good quality video of the return of Ricky steamboat. It is a good match. Bonus Flair meltdown too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEsl7BMzsLs

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Mr Hootington posted:

I don't know who that is

you are in for such a treat.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Mr Hootington posted:

I don't know who that is

Do you seriously not know who The Great Muta is?

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

hoot has only watched nwa/wcw from 1984-89 why would he have heard of him?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
He's still adjusting to The Regular Muta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Elephant Ambush posted:

Do you seriously not know who The Great Muta is?

Suplex Liberace posted:

hoot has only watched nwa/wcw from 1984-89 why would he have heard of him?

It is this. Like up until a couple months ago I had no idea Golddust was Dustin rhodes. I only found out by reading posts here.

I try to stay spoiler free so I get surprised by storylines or new wrestler.

Kendall Windham's heel turn was surprising and unironically he is now wrestling better because he is allowed to just be aggressive. He also does the slingshot Suplex now which is a hell yeah.