Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Kosmo Gallion posted:

When GOT tried to recreate the chemistry of Tyrion & Bronn and Jamie & Brienne, by pairing up Jamie & Bronn as a comedy double act, I knew it was time to switch off. Also Ed Sheeran turned up in an episode playing a medieval version of himself.

Wolves of the Calla (Book 5) was the beginning of the meta style storytelling. The books themselves existed in universe and Stephen King is some kind of prophet? So much happens in the last two books I can't be certain but I think one character reads the plot of the last Dark Tower novel to figure out how to beat the bad guy?

Wolves of the Calla is still a great book but it's definitely the start of the weirdness. Go read Wizard and Glass (Book 4) for the best Dark Tower novel though, it can almost be read as a standalone.

Puts on Therapist hat....

Und as you see, his self inserts appeared in the DT book following his near death in an accident, showing how his fear of his own death now informed his writing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Reality shows are straight up trash.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I do have a soft spot for the self aware ones like Jersey Shore and Love is Blind though

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Survivor is not a reality show, but is rather a game show.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

That one was, I was using it as a backdrop during a project. but the ones that aren't laced with negative drama can be quite fun.

My guilty pleasure is The Circle.

redshirt posted:

Survivor is not a reality show, but is rather a game show.
I'm pretty sure I'm more obsessed with survival shows than anything else in my life. But I already watched all of N&A XL and Alone and don't know what to do next.

Just realized I read your comment wrong as Survivor is not a survival show.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Jelly posted:

That one was, I was using it as a backdrop during a project. but the ones that aren't laced with negative drama can be quite fun.

My guilty pleasure is The Circle.

I'm pretty sure I'm more obsessed with survival shows than anything else in my life. But I already watched all of N&A XL and Alone and don't know what to do next.

Just realized I read your comment wrong as Survivor is not a survival show.

It's vaguely a survival show. It used to be more so, but it's been watered down over the years.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I've recently seen an old episode of Who Wants to Be a Millionaire and e:Let's Make a Deal Deal or No Deal. Let's Make a Deal is an actual gameshow and fun.

They were straight up drama bullshit. Reminded me of reality shows and they're from the exact same era. If you watch them, not a whole lot happens at all. It's the loving tension and people yelling and the indecision and waiting and the commercial comes so you have to wait and then they make their choice and lose. Those were gameshows but used the exact same emotional manipulation.

Straight up trash.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
Yeah, it's pretty impressive how Deal or No Deal managed to spend an hour per contestant, the show is 100% random chance. I do find it amusing how it's the evil banker that keeps people from getting good deals though, certainly not a very simple average algorithm! I feel like watching that show will make you dumber.

You guys remember this thing:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jussie_Smollett_hate_crime_hoax

That was certainly one hell of a gamble to take.

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh
Any time there’s a hate crime in the news, Jussie Smollett’s name trends. You’d think if faking hate crimes was so common and lucrative, they’d have more recent examples than him!

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

nine-gear crow posted:

Oh yeah, Terry Matalas having a deer-in-headlights moment live on Twitter when some rando fan pointed out he accidentally killed Elnor by blowing up the Excelsior at the end of Star Trek: Picard was another one of those moments too. Just "holy poo poo, how did you even GET this job?"

Oh god, do you have a link for this?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Oh god, do you have a link for this?

Sadly no, Twitter's become unusable since that rich teenage weirdo stuck his dick in it, especially if you don't have an account, and I don't feel like crawling through the 1800 pages of the TVIV Star Trek thread to try and find it. But it's in there somewhere, assuming Matalas didn't just delete the tweet thread of his various post-show "This is what we meant to do but we ran out of money because we literally spent it all rebuilding the Enterprise-D bridge set" explanations.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Zugzwang posted:

I put off reading the books for years, figuring I'd do it when GRRM finished them. Welp

I seem to remember reading up to the third book, thought something along the lines of 'any time anything good seems to happen to an ostensibly good person in this book, something horrendous happens immediately afterwards. Why should I continue to read this series when I could get the same results from reading non-fiction, but which also passes on real information?' and fully disengaged from it.

I would say in hindsight that that is the most thankful I've been for dropping a piece of media, but that would be a lie (stopped reading Harry Potter after the... Fourth book, I think?).

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Samovar posted:

I seem to remember reading up to the third book, thought something along the lines of 'any time anything good seems to happen to an ostensibly good person in this book, something horrendous happens immediately afterwards. Why should I continue to read this series when I could get the same results from reading non-fiction, but which also passes on real information?' and fully disengaged from it.

I would say in hindsight that that is the most thankful I've been for dropping a piece of media, but that would be a lie (stopped reading Harry Potter after the... Fourth book, I think?).

I had the exact same thought. Coupled with "hey let's jam all the worst bits from 1000 years of history into one setting, it'll be gritty." No regrets on bailing.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Samovar posted:

You stopped at a good place with Harry Potter, since book 5 is 900 pages of mostly teen angst. It is unbelievably painful to read.

Speaking of which, has JK Rowling been mentioned in this thread yet?

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

Improbable Lobster posted:

She was just fed easy fights for so long lol

Yeah, the first time she lost she took her ball and went home lol.

"Fighter X was always bad" is annoying as poo poo. Ronda fought the best opposition in the world (barring Cris Cyborg who wouldn't get off the roids for five minutes) and (until Holm), beat them all handily. She then lost to the undisputable women's GOAT Amanda Nunes before retiring. There were no better fighters available than those she fought at the time. It's a fair criticism to say that she failed to evolve alongside the sport, but not that she was fed easy fights.

In a sport laden with tragic endings, criticising a fighter for chosing to retire in time is an ugly thing to do.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Jelly posted:

I didn't realize she was a TERF though I should have realized when she was palling around with Lance Armstrong on that dumb reality show Stars on Mars. She kept a pretty low profile and had a pretty good attitude.

Lance Armstrong outed himself as a piece of poo poo pretty quickly, but chef Cat Cora was the real rear end in a top hat of the show. Imagine having an obsessive bone to pick with Andy Richter. I didn't know who she was before watching that, but I hate her now.

Most “reality shows” now, especially ones starring celebrities, are scripted for maximum drama. It’s no more “real” than pro wrestling.

Both Richter, Cora, et al cast votes the way they did because that’s what the producers wanted. If anything, I’d give kudos to Cora for playing an excellent heel.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Speaking of pro wrestling and career-ending fails… how about that Hulk Hogan sex tape?

Busters
Jan 24, 2014

Zugzwang posted:

You stopped at a good place with Harry Potter, since book 5 is 900 pages of mostly teen angst. It is unbelievably painful to read.

Speaking of which, has JK Rowling been mentioned in this thread yet?

No, but is there an exact moment where she turned the corner between "X character is now gay and always has been because I think people will praise me for it" and "Hogwarts is protected by a magical ward that forces people to use the bathrooms for their gender assigned at birth"?

And before that turn, how did people explain her wonderful habit of naming characters based on racial stereotypes?

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Busters posted:

No, but is there an exact moment where she turned the corner between "X character is now gay and always has been because I think people will praise me for it" and "Hogwarts is protected by a magical ward that forces people to use the bathrooms for their gender assigned at birth"?

Probably when she released that multi-page document on Twitter to tell everyone “I don’t hate trans people but also here is why hating trans people is cool and good, i am very intelligent”

quote:

And before that turn, how did people explain her wonderful habit of naming characters based on racial stereotypes?

They pretended it didn’t exist, just like they ignored the antisemitic stereotype goblins and the elves who enjoy chattel slavery. Because they simply couldn’t accept that someone who wrote their favorite childhood book might actually be a bad person.

Gatto Grigio fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Oct 17, 2023

Busters
Jan 24, 2014

I'm not well versed on her history, there weren't any warning signs before that? She just woke up one morning and decided to write a short novel that's the transgender equivalent of "I have black friends so I can't be racist"?

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Busters posted:

I'm not well versed on her history, there weren't any warning signs before that? She just woke up one morning and decided to write a short novel that's the transgender equivalent of "I have black friends so I can't be racist"?

There were warning signs, but mostly in the form of liking and retweeting posts by transphobes who the average person wouldn’t recognize unless they knew of the ideology. There was enough plausible deniability that fans could write off retweets as mistakes by an old lady who’s not great with social media.

Busters
Jan 24, 2014

I always found it very odd that she became the Omega TERF. By American standards she'd be "Far left" - though that really doesn't mean much. As far as I know, the rest of her politics is just goofy central-leftism where we should all just hold hands and get along. Not rock the boat too much. At least that's how her wikipeida article reads.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Busters posted:

I always found it very odd that she became the Omega TERF. By American standards she'd be "Far left"

no I don't think so, no. she's always read as a paternalist centrist, it's just she's the more secular kind of bigot so people assume that means she's lefty- she never has been remotely on the left, even by the hosed u.s. standard, and she is currently a billionaire

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I think she simply couldn’t take the L. She saw power and wealth as “clearly I’m doing something right therefore I’m always right”, and just unable to recognize a gently caress up. Girl straight up fell under her own spell. Ego is a drug. Happens to anyone.

I do like that most of the actors in the HP movies are like “yeah no gently caress her”, as are a lot of adult fans. Sucks because more people are understanding of “yeah there are some bad elements to the books but if you know better and do better now, we’re cool” than irreversible condemnation, and I think allowing for that room for growth is good. She just doesn’t want to grow, and that’s frankly sad.

I do find it ironic is that she is more on the side of those who wanted to burn her books 90s now.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

the reason she was perceived by the American right as far more radical than she actually was had a lot to do with evangelical response to HP in the 2000s.The fundie Christians throw accusations of promoting witchcraft and Satanism, and suddenly HP looks like this subversive counterculture thing. That, and also the later HP books centered around the Voldemort conflict were seen as an allegory of young freedom-loving kids fighting against a metaphor for fascism and oppression. But because Voldemort’s cause was fantasy racism, it wasn’t hard to project your own struggles on Harry if you were a young person feeling oppressed, and, if you only looked at her on a surface level, you’d assume that Rowling was “on our side.”

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Gatto Grigio posted:

the reason she was perceived by the American right as far more radical than she actually was had a lot to do with evangelical response to HP in the 2000s.The fundie Christians throw accusations of promoting witchcraft and Satanism, and suddenly HP looks like this subversive counterculture thing. That, and also the later HP books centered around the Voldemort conflict were seen as an allegory of young freedom-loving kids fighting against a metaphor for fascism and oppression. But because Voldemort’s cause was fantasy racism, it wasn’t hard to project your own struggles on Harry if you were a young person feeling oppressed, and, if you only looked at her on a surface level, you’d assume that Rowling was “on our side.”

I think how she approached that was fine and I really can’t fault kids for making that connection when they read it, y’know? If that’s how kids understand it, so be it.

I think she didn’t understand what her books meant to kids, however. I think I know of like, two straight HP fans offhand? Makes her turn towards bigotry and whining about it all the more disgusting.

God I don’t miss that era of evangelicals thinking everything was triple infused with Satan. And thankfully I won’t need to because the Satanic Panic just will not go away!

E: with that I would like to bring up Kat Von D and me hoping her career is actually dead so I never need to hear of her from creepy men ever again.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Gatto Grigio posted:

Speaking of pro wrestling and career-ending fails… how about that Hulk Hogan sex tape?

Got enough Gawker millions to last him two lifetimes, brother.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

There were definitely cracks in Rowling's facade before the terf stuff came out. Like how she had an assistant who misappropriated funds and instead of just firing the assistant she sued them even though it was a microscopic amount of money for a billionaire to lose.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Everybody talks about the GoT final season showrunners killing the show, but what about the man himself, George? Didn't release a single book from the first episode to the last and had the better part of a decade to do so, always had an excuse up his sleeve to put it off, etc.

What does he do these days besides show up to conventions and coast off royalties? Aside from being commissioned to write parts of Elden Ring I've no idea.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

White Light posted:

Everybody talks about the GoT final season showrunners killing the show, but what about the man himself, George? Didn't release a single book from the first episode to the last and had the better part of a decade to do so, always had an excuse up his sleeve to put it off, etc.

What does he do these days besides show up to conventions and coast off royalties? Aside from being commissioned to write parts of Elden Ring I've no idea.

For real, he's active on his blog and loves talking about the Giants and Jets.

I think its safe to say at this point we won't see another book entirely written by him. I bet eventually the publishers bring in another writer to finish them.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

GRRM is busy doing things like raking in money from Meow Wolf and fine dining in Santa Fe

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

White Light posted:

I had the feeling he was already burning out on the series when the show started.

I've got the GOT books he's published and i can't be bothered going near him again until the series is complete.

The show could have run on for several more seasons if proficient writers had worked on it starting from season five but we got what we got. :shrug:

Don't care if the prequel series is great or not, no sunk cost fallacy for me atm.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
I mean, why would he finish them now? We all know the end now and it's not very good. It's possible that he could try to retell it in such a way that people accept it, but that's a really hard sell.

If he never finishes the books, the terrible ending can be attributed to the show runners and GRRM can avoid criticism. He'd rather be the writer who never got around to it, than the writer who tossed out all his good will from fans with a lovely ending.

Legit the only reason he should finish the book series is if he decides to change the ending.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Oct 17, 2023

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

redshirt posted:

For real, he's active on his blog and loves talking about the Giants and Jets.

I think its safe to say at this point we won't see another book entirely written by him. I bet eventually the publishers bring in another writer to finish them.

I read his two big short story collections that include some of the best sci-fi contenders such as a Song for Lya & Sandkings, and he includes introductions to the stories that help explain what was going on in his life/career. The collections were published in early 2000s but I remember it stood out in the sections about working on the tv show Beauty & the Beast that he really loved being involved in tv productions. So makes sense late career he’s happy doing that and probably won’t write anything of note in his late 70s

On the plus side since he’s been active since the 70s his early works are worth seeking out, and most are better than late game of thrones novels anyway. The collection Tuf Voyaging is top notch.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

White Light posted:

Well why not? Dude obviously worked pretty hard for 30-40 years before the big money train crashed thru his wall, why not take a breather?

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Speaking of UK TERFs and dead careers - Graham Linehan.

A pretty prolific comedy writer, probably best known for Father Ted and IT Crowd. Huge hit shows in the UK and very popular in the US, too. He could have definitely launched another show based on his name alone and was supposedly working on a Father Ted musical.

Then he decided to get extremely online after an episode of the IT Crowd received criticism for some pretty blatant anti-trans stuff. Linehan at first said that he wasn't transphobic and that the character was. And maybe, just maybe, he would have been okay if this is all that happened. But, no, he decided to really dive in to complete insanity.

I'm not going to get into too much of it because it's really hateful, vile poo poo, but Linehan managed to get himself banned from Twitter, then pretended to be a trans person to stir up more hate, and even created a fake dating profile and started posting pictures of trans and non-binary people on it, just straight up "look at this person trying to date people! what a weirdo!"

Now, you may ask, how does a busy writer with a wife and kids find the time to do this? By being too online for his family, for starters. His wife left him in 2020 and took the kids, saying that his online hatred and the associated financial and legal troubles became too much to bare. Well, okay, maybe he can lose himself in his work! Not so fast, as every single project Linehan was working on got summarily dropped. The Father Ted musical died after he demanded everyone working on the musical sign a declaration agreeing with his views on trans people. He has no more relationship with Channel 4 or the BBC, and he got dropped by his agent after Linehan called David Tennant a groomer.

Linehan will never take responsibility for his own actions and believes in "cancel culture" as this malicious force that can randomly decide to end careers. Cancel culture took his wife and kids, it took away his source of income, and it's the reason he won't stop posting 24/7. And, like a lot of CANCELLED people, he just wrote a book. It presumably reveals more of his insane inner thoughts and probably paints him as a Christ-like figure out to suffer the slings and arrows of the WOKE ELITE MOB.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Chrpno posted:

Well why not? Dude obviously worked pretty hard for 30-40 years before the big money train crashed thru his wall, why not take a breather?

Yup, this. He’s been writing this poo poo for 30 years, I don’t blame him for being done with it. I’ll read the next book if it ever comes out just because I read the others but I legitimately don’t care if he finishes it or not.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

A Fancy Hat posted:

And, like a lot of CANCELLED people, he just wrote a book.

and Richard Ayoade summarily ate poo poo for enthusiastically endorsing it

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

MrQwerty posted:

and Richard Ayoade summarily ate poo poo for enthusiastically endorsing it

My greatest hope is that Ayoade is far too busy to have read the book or even know what Linehan was up to in the last few years, he just rubber-stamped an endorsement after having worked on IT Crowd. I'm just gonna hold onto that thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
The IT Crowd is so good it transcends how Linehan is a whackjob rear end in a top hat, it's my favorite show of all time

it's a drat shame still