Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

count_von_count
Nov 6, 2012

rowkey bilbao posted:

Wtf is a "crest". Is Ukraine fielding atacms already ?

Dwesa posted:

it's translation of khokhol, a derogatory Russian term for Ukrainians, it was Cossack hairstyle

zone posted:

Google translation of Khokhol (a slur used to refer to Ukrainians) that refers to a traditional Cossack hairstyle.

So the Russian slur for Ukrainians is essentially "Mohawk"? lol just makes them sound like badasses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

zone posted:

Google translation of Khokhol (a slur used to refer to Ukrainians) that refers to a traditional Cossack hairstyle.

Wikipedia: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oseledets

Lol chub

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

My Spirit Otter posted:

can you post the original so that someone who knows the language can tell us what is meant by casette? i highly doubt ukraine is dropping heartfelt mix tapes on russian positions

https://packaged-media.redd.it/avj7...5182061be82#t=0

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

My Darktide character legit has that haircut.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Ugh. I worked for a little while in UXO disposal (not a tech but I did spend a bit of time in a suit next to live ordinance). Cluster munitions are the worst. The actual rate of duds is waaaaay higher than what the militaries / manufacturer claims. Their numbers are based on ideal testing conditions on a controlled target range.

Unexploded cluster munitions are one of the most dangerous for EOD techs to deal with, as they are extremely unstable. One of our guys in another project got killed by one in Rwanda. From what I heard he wasn't even touching it, just setting up the charge.

Clearing Ukraine is going to take decades.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

ReelBigLizard posted:

Ugh. I worked for a little while in UXO disposal (not a tech but I did spend a bit of time in a suit next to live ordinance). Cluster munitions are the worst. The actual rate of duds is waaaaay higher than what the militaries / manufacturer claims. Their numbers are based on ideal testing conditions on a controlled target range.

Unexploded cluster munitions are one of the most dangerous for EOD techs to deal with, as they are extremely unstable. One of our guys in another project got killed by one in Rwanda. From what I heard he wasn't even touching it, just setting up the charge.

Clearing Ukraine is going to take decades.

...And this didn't bother you at all when Russia was peppering Ukrainian cities and countryside with cluster munitions for the last 2 years, but now when the Ukrainian armed forces are finally given ATACMS to start shooting back long distance, they are weapons that cause unnecessary risks to civilians. Hmmm.....

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Der Kyhe posted:

...And this didn't bother you at all when Russia was peppering Ukrainian cities and countryside with cluster munitions for the last 2 years, but now when the Ukrainian armed forces are finally given ATACMS to start shooting back long distance, they are weapons that cause unnecessary risks to civilians. Hmmm.....

settle down, that guy isn't a putinist

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
US has provided Ukraine long-range ATACMS missiles, sources say

https://www.cnn.com/2023/10/17/politics/us-ukraine-long-range-atacm-missiles

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Der Kyhe posted:

:dumbbravo:

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Time to go bridge and bridge repair equipment hunting then.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Attack'ems. Cant wait for the new vatnik screed.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

shadow puppet of a posted:

Cluster warhead isn't as effective compared to the unitary warhead for targets like the Kerch bridge. These ATACMS are probably going to be used on air bases, air defense concentrations, deep command posts, and ammo dumps. Maybe even repair workshops depending on the target.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump

Der Kyhe posted:

Stop posting.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

Der Kyhe posted:

I think the guy was sharing his earnest opinion / experience as a reaction to seeing the cluster munition. You're reading too much into this, he doesn't deserve that reaction.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
its assume-bad-faith-postin disease, you do see a lot of it in warpostin

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
goons turning on goons...

war is truly not good

Warthog
Mar 8, 2004
Ferkelwämser extraordinaire

I wonder what might be on those tapes...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

shadow puppet of a posted:

Wrong tool for the job, plenty of :blyat: with distant ammunition dumps and military infrastructure once again within reach.

Just Another Lurker fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Oct 17, 2023

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression
Even if someone is posting in bad faith, getting mad in your reply only encourages them to continue. Prove em wrong with a smile or hit report and move on.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

Der Kyhe posted:

:ughh:

Embarrassing

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Icept posted:

goons turning on goons...

war is truly not good

War, huh, good god y'all. What is it good for? Absolutely nothin'.

(it's bad)

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

:getin:

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
It certainly feels like the russians are taking the largest spanking since the start of the war right now - tons of manpower, aircraft, tanks and even boats destroyed. I hope this is a decisive turning point

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Karma Comedian posted:

War, huh, good god y'all. What is it good for? Absolutely nothin'.

(it's bad)

its good for kickin the russians out

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression

Zzulu posted:

It certainly feels like the russians are taking the largest spanking since the start of the war right now - tons of manpower, aircraft, tanks and even boats destroyed. I hope this is a decisive turning point

My guess is to try to hit them as hard as they can before the mud and eventually the ice sets in.

We might be seeing the beginnings of a breakthrough but I have nothing to base this on other than vibes.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

bob dobbs is dead posted:

its good for kickin the russians out

They should really go home and stop all this bullshit

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I'm seeing way more videos of cluster munitions from Ukraine now and they look devastating

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Zzulu posted:

Don’t forget the submarine.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

weg posted:

My guess is to try to hit them as hard as they can before the mud and eventually the ice sets in.

We might be seeing the beginnings of a breakthrough but I have nothing to base this on other than vibes.

The frontline has remained pretty much unchanged since we heard of the breach near Verbove three weeks ago or so. I hope you're right, but I'm skeptical.

Ukraine blowing up Russian helicopters is cool and good regardless of whether it translates to immediate gains on the ground.

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.

khwarezm posted:

If this is true does anyone have a deeper explanation as to why they are doing this beyond there being too much lead in the water?

this is from a few pages back, but ive just started going through all of peruns stuff and in one of his videos about how lying/corruption ruins militaries, he talks about how a culture of lying/bribery permeates the russian military and causes the sorts of things we're seeing. goes something vaguely like:

russian doctrine relies on tables that boil combat down to (gross oversimplification) "if our numbers are bigger than their numbers, we should win". apparently these tables are pretty good at predicting outcomes/determining strategies if you put accurate data into them. And thats where the problem starts

the guy running the weapons depot reports they have plenty of equipment, and that it certainly hasnt been stripped for parts. good to go!
the infantry commanders report that all of the men which exist on their payrolls definitely for realsies exist in real life, we're good to go!
the guys who run the training report that all the training has been conducted up to standards and everything went swimmingly, the ammo and guns were NOT sold on the black market, we're good to go!
russian command sees reports from their underlings saying everything is good to go, so they order the assault
the assault, obviously, fails.
the leader of a squad, having seen 75% of his men die brutally for no gains, reports that 50% of his men died carrying out their duties and achieved incremental gains
the leader of the next org layer up knows that this will not be good enough, and since the spreadsheets say they should have won, he reports that 25% of the men died making solid but not as good as expected gains
the leader of the next org layer up knows that this will not be good enough, and since the spreadsheets say they should have won, he reports that 10% of the men died making expected gains
the leader of the next org layer up knows that this will not be good enough, and since the spreadsheets say they should have won, he reports that only 1% of the men died and the perfidious enemy is nearing collapse!
seeing that they are almost nearing victory, high command orders that the assault be continued

at nearly every layer of this, everyone is lying, and everyone involved knows that they are all lying but they keep doing it because to do otherwise would get them booted from the military (and lose out on the chance to continue their grift) or result in a terrible window related accident. theres apparently actually a word in russian for a lie where everyone involved specifically knows its a lie but everyone goes along with it anyway.

basically the entire military culture has been fully and completely rotted out by lying and corruption, so these meatgrinders will continue because the people who are responsible for it know that they very likely wont see any negative consequences/might see positive results for continuing it, but will almost certainly see negative consequences for trying to stop it.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

Zzulu posted:

Russia is going to have to push back rotary assets which means shorter time at the front for the same amount of flight time. I remember this tweet from a dipshit Russian monarchist a few weeks ago

I am sure he edited it. His original tweet said that Ukraine got played because they would only be getting the cluster munition variant of the ATACMS and the replies in the thread suggest it. Any way to find out an edit tweet history?

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Charlz Guybon posted:

US has provided Ukraine long-range ATACMS missiles, sources say

https://www.cnn.com/2023/10/17/politics/us-ukraine-long-range-atacm-missiles

I didn't realize how comically thicc they were.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

weg posted:

this year won't see a breakthrough

if the support continues, and ukr gets the planes, and they've been training the pilots, then maybe next summer when the ground is dry there will be a breakthrough

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Budzilla posted:

Russia is going to have to push back rotary assets which means shorter time at the front for the same amount of flight time. I remember this tweet from a dipshit Russian monarchist a few weeks ago

I am sure he edited it. His original tweet said that Ukraine got played because they would only be getting the cluster munition variant of the ATACMS and the replies in the thread suggest it. Any way to find out an edit tweet history?
Isn't that exactly what is happenign? :confused:

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power

grumplestiltzkin posted:

theres apparently actually a word in russian for a lie where everyone involved specifically knows its a lie but everyone goes along with it anyway.

Does anyone know what the word is? I want to adopt it for corporate life.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Meow Tse-tung posted:

https://glossophilia.org/2018/09/vranyo-a-previously-untranslatable-russian-word/

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

Meow Tse-tung posted:

Its "neoliberalism"

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

grumplestiltzkin posted:

at nearly every layer of this, everyone is lying, and everyone involved knows that they are all lying but they keep doing it because to do otherwise would get them booted from the military (and lose out on the chance to continue their grift) or result in a terrible window related accident.

i've had to pull up institutional/normalized lying by the roots in a few corporations that have hired me to kind of be COO-consultant and this sort of incentive problem is always at the base of it somehow. the tough thing is it's not just a matter of changing the incentives, either. you have to both carrot and stick that bitch. you correct the incentives so truth-telling is rewarded, but you also have to thoroughly disincentivize lying, which always boils down to having a secondary fact-finding process or audit trail so you can figure out when someone is lying. the liars will always viciously resist the institution of these processes/trails so it's eternally pulling teeth.

at one point it took me 6 months to rip out a culture of lying in a company of 50 people. doing it on a military scale will take a decade if you are very, very efficient about it. that's been one of my larger take-aways from this - even if russia were to get alien technology tomorrow that is two jumps ahead of US kit, they'd still probably be an ineffective fighting force because the culture of lying will take a generation to excise with how clearly baked in it is now.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Cartoon Man posted:

Don’t forget the submarine.

The sub did get quite a spanking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

This is what adam curtis is on about in hypernormalisation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIHC4NNScEI