Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the other hand
Dec 14, 2003

43rd Heavy Artillery Brigade
"Ultima Ratio Liberalium"

Main Paineframe posted:

Typically it means a full-scale ground invasion goes in and occupies the areas near the border, sends some raids deeper into Gaza to capture or kill some militants, destroys a bunch of infrastructure they claim was being used by Hamas, maybe wipes out a neighborhood or two just for the hell of it, and then unilaterally declares victory and pulls out before they take too many casualties. The whole thing usually lasts about two weeks.

To me, that feels like the best-case realistic scenario this time around. I think it’s a good idea to not hand-wave away Israel’s statements that it intends to destroy Hamas. It has the capability to conduct a Fallujah-style campaign. If that happens, are there realistic scenarios other than a) civilians mass- evacuate, never to return, or b) catastrophic civilian deaths ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

mrfart posted:

I guess they're very different militarily.
Nobody in Palestine, Hamas or anyone else, has javelins or any such nice equipment.
The rubble they created by destroying entire neighborhoods are the biggest obstacle. You don't want to drive tanks into that, and infantry will get into brutal close combat.
I genuinely don't know if hamas (or people who just want to defend whats left of their home) is going to defend north-Gaza to the last man, and what Israel plans to do with it once they capture it?
Destroy so much of it, hoping the people won't be coming back/will be even more economically crippled for the next decades?

most importantly IDF isn't going in expecting resistance to just collapse without a fight

quote:

The rubble they created by destroying entire neighborhoods are the biggest obstacle. You don't want to drive tanks into that, and infantry will get into brutal close combat.
US casualties in the 2 battles of Fallujah were like 100 KIA combined btw

all those ppl who are expecting hamas will kill like 10k idf soldiers because it's an urban area are gonna be disappointed

Typo fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Oct 17, 2023

break-up breakdown
Mar 6, 2010

Paladinus posted:

Presumably, they are going to let them back in once they are done with HAMAS. But you would be right not to presume. Although Biden signals that complete annexation of Gaza by Israel is not what America would want to see, I don't think Israel has committed to anything beyond 'destroy HAMAS'.

Even say they did fully intend to allow them return at some later point (haha). Is it not still ethnic cleansing to purposefully depoplate an area? Or do they also have to say they intend to settle it themselves once it's empty

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Typo posted:

US casualties in the 2 battles of Fallujah were like 100 KIA combined btw

all those ppl who are expecting hamas will kill like 10k idf soldiers because it's an urban area are gonna be disappointed

Still, compare to 2022, where only three soldiers died in action, and 44 soldiers total - and that was the highest number in five years!

The Israeli public isn't used to seeing IDF soldiers die in action, now an incredible amount are already dead and more will die if there's any ground invasion.

https://m.jpost.com/israel-news/article-726526

It will take decades before we fully understand how much this war has (further) warped Israeli culture and politics.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.
It's interesting to me that I haven't seen anyone noting the significance of Biden not just traveling there but moving a carrier group into the area which seems like a clear signal to Israel to calm the gently caress down and be very loving careful with their blatant war criming. It's one thing to accidentally fire on a spy ship firing on a super carrier would be a whole other level of stupid.

Also it would be extraordinary dumb to launch an offensive while the US President is in theater. Biden has to thread a fine needle of showing vocal support for Israel communicating to Israel that them just rolling into Gaza and massacring every Palestinian isn't going to happen.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

break-up breakdown posted:

Even say they did fully intend to allow them return at some later point (haha). Is it not still ethnic cleansing to purposefully depoplate an area? Or do they also have to say they intend to settle it themselves once it's empty

Well, as long as Israel is perceived to conduct a just war with the stated purpose of defeating HAMAS, framing evacuation of civilians as ethnic cleansing is a tall order. Evacuating people due to a natural disaster, for example, is absolutely not ethnic cleansing on its own. Identifying how much actions align with stated intentions, and how much other countries may prefer not to see any discrepancies is a separate issue.

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬

mannerup fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Nov 5, 2023

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Civilized Fishbot posted:

Still, compare to 2022, where only three soldiers died in action, and 44 soldiers total - and that was the highest number in five years!

The Israeli public isn't used to seeing IDF soldiers die in action, now an incredible amount are already dead and more will die if there's any ground invasion.

https://m.jpost.com/israel-news/article-726526

It will take decades before we fully understand how much this war has (further) warped Israeli culture and politics.

yeah, it's similar to Fallujah in the US

like 100 KIA isn't a lot compared to Vietnam when 2-3x that many US soldiers were getting killed PER DAY during the Tet offensive, but the US public of the 2000s wasn't used to seeing triple digit casualties at all

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

Skex posted:

It's interesting to me that I haven't seen anyone noting the significance of Biden not just traveling there but moving a carrier group into the area which seems like a clear signal to Israel to calm the gently caress down and be very loving careful with their blatant war criming. It's one thing to accidentally fire on a spy ship firing on a super carrier would be a whole other level of stupid.

Also it would be extraordinary dumb to launch an offensive while the US President is in theater. Biden has to thread a fine needle of showing vocal support for Israel communicating to Israel that them just rolling into Gaza and massacring every Palestinian isn't going to happen.
If anything, this move will delay the ground invasion.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/10/17/politics/inside-joe-biden-israel-trip-planning/index.html

quote:

It took an explicit commitment from his Israeli counterpart to open Gaza for humanitarian aid for President Joe Biden to agree to make an extraordinary wartime trip to Tel Aviv.

While the trip will amount to a dramatic show of support for Israel as it prepares its response to last week’s Hamas attacks, it will also act as Biden’s strongest push for easing the suffering of civilians and allowing those who want to leave Gaza out.

While there was no explicit stipulation from the US that Israel not launch its invasion until Biden leaves the region, that’s the understanding among American officials who have spent the past several days debating and planning the president’s visit, according to multiple people familiar with the matter.

American officials want humanitarian plans for Gaza fully signed off on and implemented before start of the invasion, the people said, describing that task as among Biden’s main objectives during his visit to Tel Aviv on Wednesday.

Speaking late Monday, National Security Council spokesman John Kirby said Biden would arrive in Israel focused on the “the critical need for humanitarian assistance to get into Gaza, as well as the ability for innocent people to get out.”

He said the US had not sought assurances from Israel about the timing of its ground invasion ahead of Biden’s trip.

“We’re not dictating terms or operational directions to the Israelis,” Kirby said.

Also, lol boomer Biden

quote:

Traveling to Israel in person may provide Biden – who despises Zoom calls and has long espoused the importance of face-to-face meetings – a better opportunity to convey those views to his Israeli counterpart, a leader with whom he believes he has a deep understanding

The rest of the article has some good details about what Blinken is doing but copying/pasting more than a paragraph on Android is a nightmare.

ummel fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Oct 17, 2023

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!

Skex posted:

I think most people have seen the movement of the carrier group as a signal to everyone else in the region to stay out of the conflict. Your analysis of Biden's trip seems right, though.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Yeah the two carrier groups are not to intimidate Israel, they're to intimidate everyone else to leave Israel alone.

Biden may tut tut if Israel bombs every last citizen in Gaza but he won't do anything. If Syria or Lebanon do anything, they're getting those 140ish fighters as a reward.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

ummel posted:

Also, lol boomer Biden

Tbf, I don't really blame him for this if it's a sensitive conversation. It's inefficient and dangerous to be flying all over the drat place, especially when there is a war on, but the thing about teleconferencing is that you don't actually know who is on the call.

You obviously can bug an office or whatever but at least it isn't having a videocall with someone and the fifty mystery people on the other side of the room, behind the camera.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

ummel posted:

Also, lol boomer Biden

Biden is too old to be a Boomer

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
I hope this is the right place to ask, but is there a good article, or post out there that just summarizes this whole situation? Not necessarily the day to day updates right now, but the historyhelps helps explain"why" it's happening and how we got here? I admit I know nothing about anything really on the factions at play so it would need to be a very introductory one...

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Oct 17, 2023

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I see a lot of politicians whining about what Israel is doing but no one is really lifting a finger to stop it. It really goes to show that any country with a sufficiently strong military can just do whatever the gently caress they want

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

PageMaster posted:

I hope this is the right place to ask, but is there a good article, or post out there that just summarizes this whole situation? Not necessarily the day to day updates right now, but the historyhelps helps explain"why" it's happening and how we got here? I admit I know nothing about anything on this

This is from an American think tank, but it sums it up.
https://www.cfr.org/global-conflict-tracker/conflict/israeli-palestinian-conflict

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

This or some other summary should probably be in the OP

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Paladinus posted:

Well, as long as Israel is perceived to conduct a just war with the stated purpose of defeating HAMAS, framing evacuation of civilians as ethnic cleansing is a tall order. Evacuating people due to a natural disaster, for example, is absolutely not ethnic cleansing on its own. Identifying how much actions align with stated intentions, and how much other countries may prefer not to see any discrepancies is a separate issue.

This is not a "natural disaster." Can you provide reasons why you think this, a man-made situation, is comparable to a natural disaster?

Mid-Life Crisis
Jun 13, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
I don’t interpret a carrier fleet as a means to intimidate Israel, but to deter others from thinking to join the contest. Biden’s visit may be to intimidate Israel, but I’m sure they’ll twist it to be a sign of support.

What I’m curious about is whether they actually plan on letting Palestinians return to Gaza city after they’re done or whether they’re going to just erect a new border now that they’re all moved out. I’m sure they can easily find something in the tunnels to try to justify not handing it back. I thought the West Bank was the land they were more interested in taking, but I don’t know details here well.

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre

PT6A posted:

One other thing that Pappe lays out, and I think it's crucial to understanding the current situation, is that a good deal of the ethnic cleansing of urban Palestine was done by saying "you have to leave for your safety right now, you'll be allowed back." And then, shockingly, they weren't allowed back. So when people ask: well, why are Hamas and Egypt so reticent to let people flee for their safety, and why are many Palestinians not willing to do it? The reason is that Israel's record is heavily against it when they say "you have to leave for your safety." Some settler is gonna set themselves up in your place and you ain't never going back. They've pulled this trick before and they will of course try it again.

This video immediately came to mind:

https://youtube.com/shorts/piIgkqPmI-w?si=OJw36Oajs3NJtPUU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Zzulu posted:

I see a lot of politicians whining about what Israel is doing but no one is really lifting a finger to stop it. It really goes to show that any country with a sufficiently strong military can just do whatever the gently caress they want

Russia is a strong counterpoint to that. It's less about Israel's sheer military strength and more that they have strong ties to large chunks of the American electorate, for both ethnic and religious reasons. If anything, this is an example of why soft power is so important.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

https://twitter.com/QudsNen/status/1714321317120360527

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬

mannerup fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Nov 5, 2023

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

mannerup posted:

https://twitter.com/SenTomCotton/status/1714330112370303454

quite the statement from a US Senator on why humanitarian aid shouldn't be allowed, unequivocally against aiding civilians

Because as everyone knows the right way to get rid of extremism is to allow conditions to be as horrific as possible for as long as possible. That settles folks down.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

mannerup posted:

quite the statement from a US Senator on why humanitarian aid shouldn't be allowed, unequivocally against aiding civilians

Most people here know their history enough to not need the reminder, but the US rebuilt western Germany and staged a famous airlift to give the German people aid after rooting out the Nazi regime.

What a moronic statement.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

mannerup posted:

Tom Cotton pretty regularly openly lusts for the death of innocent people so no shock there.

buttslave
Jun 8, 2007
Onwards and Upwards!
Al Jazeera is reporting over 500 killed in Israeli airstrike on al-Ahli Arab Hospital in Gaza City (source: Gaza Ministry of Health), others I believe are reporting at least 200.

Biden, I'm sure, will say this is "very sad" shortly before shoveling more bombs into Israel's arsenal.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Mid-Life Crisis posted:

I don’t interpret a carrier fleet as a means to intimidate Israel, but to deter others from thinking to join the contest. Biden’s visit may be to intimidate Israel, but I’m sure they’ll twist it to be a sign of support.

The carriers are there, by centcom’s own statements, to deter anyone from attacking Israel while Israel conducts its attacks on Gaza, Lebanon, and Syria.

Beyond that, we are actively providing israel with ammunition. Ammunition they will load onto their American built fighter planes, for an operation the United States explicitly supports, for a country the United States has given many billions in weapons to and frequently used its UN veto to protect from censure.

Why would Biden be “intimidating” Israel in private? Why would his words be “twisted” - he’s made plenty of very public statements of support for Israel, as has both American parties.

The United States is an active ally and partner of Israel and supports Israel both broadly and materially in this campaign. Imagining Biden is against the bombing of Gaza is fan fiction, and implausible even by fan fiction standards.

https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/conflict-middle-east-could-escalate-us-national-security-adviser-warns-2023-10-15/

quote:

WASHINGTON, Oct 15 (Reuters) - U.S. President Joe Biden said on Sunday he believes the Hamas militant group must be eliminated but there should be a path to a Palestinian state, after top U.S. officials warned the war between Israel and Hamas could escalate.

Biden did not think American troops would be necessary on the ground as Israel has one of the "finest fighting forces," even as American warships headed to the area amid growing clashes on Israel's northern border with Lebanon.

The official from the top messaging is Israel should destroy Hamas but not occupy Gaza. That equals a bombing campaign and siege - the exact one that is exploding hospitals and apartments right now. This is what America actively, publicly, and materially supports.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Don't worry, in a few hours we'll all get to hear how this hospital secretly housed a Hamas HQ where they were producing terrorborgs or some poo poo so it's okay.

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

TGLT posted:

Don't worry, in a few hours we'll all get to hear how this hospital secretly housed a Hamas HQ where they were producing terrorborgs or some poo poo so it's okay.

The hospital was a human shield for the Hamas hideout in the basement etc etc.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
BBC, Al Jazeera, The Guardian etc reporting that Israel just bombed a hospital killing 500 people. I know it's naive but gently caress me I hope this affects public opinion and puts pressure on countries to stop backing this.

And one of the UN schools, which are designated shelters.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Wrong thread disregard.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
Also wrong thread!

Ripperljohn
May 13, 2014

Jesus loving christ.

Seriously, what the gently caress is supposed to deescalate this mess?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Best Friends posted:

The carriers are there, by centcom’s own statements, to deter anyone from attacking Israel while Israel conducts its attacks on Gaza, Lebanon, and Syria.

I can't find these statements, can you link them?

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

I can't find these statements, can you link them?

https://www.defense.gov/News/Releas...ent-of-uss-eis/

"The increases to US force Posture signal the United States' ironclade commitment to Israel's security and our resolve to deter any state or non-state actor seeking to escalate this war."

B B
Dec 1, 2005

Rashida Tlaib is openly criticizing Joe Biden after the attack on the hospital that reportedly killed 500 Palestinians (Tlaib's number). I'm including the text of the tweet, because it includes a picture of the blast that resulted in the deaths of hundreds of civilians. The tweet itself is available below in spoiler tags--just be warned that you will see a large explosion if you click on it.

Rashida Tlaib posted:

Rashida Tlaib
@RashidaTlaib

Israel just bombed the Baptist Hospital killing 500 Palestinians (doctors, children, patients) just like that.

@POTUS this is what happens when you refuse to facilitate a ceasefire & help de-escalate.

Your war and destruction only approach has opened my eyes and many Palestinian Americans and Muslims Americans like me. We will remember where you stood.

https://twitter.com/RashidaTlaib/status/1714342122185191596?s=20

The level of cruelty here by Israel cannot be understated, and I sincerely hope that the Biden administration reconsiders its current approach, because this is a straight up massacre.

fatelvis
Mar 21, 2010

TGLT posted:

There is already a counter narrative that this was a misfired Hamas rocket. There is video of the strike from a distance, and it certainly doesn't look like that - but I ain't no expert.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Ripperljohn posted:

Jesus loving christ.

Seriously, what the gently caress is supposed to deescalate this mess?
The death of all Palestinians

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

TGLT posted:

https://www.defense.gov/News/Releas...ent-of-uss-eis/

"The increases to US force Posture signal the United States' ironclade commitment to Israel's security and our resolve to deter any state or non-state actor seeking to escalate this war."

That's not the same claim as "to deter anyone from attacking Israel while Israel conducts its attacks on Gaza, Lebanon, and Syria."