Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Honj Steak posted:

I miss the Babylon central bank’s monetary policy :cry:

Ea-nāṣir had some interesting "buy now, pay later deals" but then he just didn't deliver the goods :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Yes this is definitely awful

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

I found the source.

they've plotted the x-axis as a log plot for the data, but then plopped that equation on top of it as if it was linear and each bar was 1 minute. I.e. as if x=131,072 was x=19 and x=never was x=20. Or in other words, what they've plotted isn't y = 23.124 e^[-0.120 x], it's y = 23.124 * x^[-0.120/(loge2)] or something like that. In the text, they do recognize that it is a power-law distribution, so I have no idea why they decided to put that wrong equation on the plot. How they came to this fitting function is anyone's guess; it is descrived as an "estimated curve" rather than a fitting function.

The x=0, y=25 bar should not appear on this graph (as well as the NEVER bar, but that one's more obvious). Each bar is twice the time of the previous, and half the time of the next. Except the first bar is infinity times less than the second bar.

Lastly, I was confused about the sample size. The data clearly shows the survival rate at each time for an original sample size of N=25; i.e. of 25 vandalisms, 5 get corrected and 20 survive within the first minute, etc. So how on earth can that data be collected from "100 random articles"? Surely 25 vandalisms are on at most 25 different articles. It turns out that they looked at 100 random articles' edit history, found the most recent vandalism, and used that (which doesn't seem like a statistically sound method, because articles get vandalized at different rates). So of the 100 they looked at, only 25 had ever been vandalized. So that explains that.

The raw data is in there if anyone wants to take a crack at plotting it and coming up with a better fitting function.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

DontMockMySmock posted:

I found the source.

they've plotted the x-axis as a log plot for the data, but then plopped that equation on top of it as if it was linear and each bar was 1 minute. I.e. as if x=131,072 was x=19 and x=never was x=20. Or in other words, what they've plotted isn't y = 23.124 e^[-0.120 x], it's y = 23.124 * x^[-0.120/(loge2)] or something like that. In the text, they do recognize that it is a power-law distribution, so I have no idea why they decided to put that wrong equation on the plot. How they came to this fitting function is anyone's guess; it is descrived as an "estimated curve" rather than a fitting function.

The x=0, y=25 bar should not appear on this graph (as well as the NEVER bar, but that one's more obvious). Each bar is twice the time of the previous, and half the time of the next. Except the first bar is infinity times less than the second bar.

Lastly, I was confused about the sample size. The data clearly shows the survival rate at each time for an original sample size of N=25; i.e. of 25 vandalisms, 5 get corrected and 20 survive within the first minute, etc. So how on earth can that data be collected from "100 random articles"? Surely 25 vandalisms are on at most 25 different articles. It turns out that they looked at 100 random articles' edit history, found the most recent vandalism, and used that (which doesn't seem like a statistically sound method, because articles get vandalized at different rates). So of the 100 they looked at, only 25 had ever been vandalized. So that explains that.

The raw data is in there if anyone wants to take a crack at plotting it and coming up with a better fitting function.

i appreciate how you tried to explain it two ways and both were indecipherable

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I think it's funnier to imagine they selected 100 random articles, vandalized them, and then waited 91 days to see if they got fixed.

Edit: (they repeated this 25 times to be scientific )

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

DontMockMySmock posted:

In the text, they do recognize that it is a power-law distribution, so I have no idea why they decided to put that wrong equation on the plot. How they came to this fitting function is anyone's guess; it is descrived as an "estimated curve" rather than a fitting function.

Search your feelings, you know what the truth for both of these is.

They put it into Excel

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Regarde Aduck posted:

i appreciate how you tried to explain it two ways and both were indecipherable

You're welcome

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

But why the U?

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Language acquires more u's with increasing proximity to France. Known fact.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Alternatively, q doesn't exist in English without the u. Except for recent loanwords like Qatar 0

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
then why don't we treat it as a letter like how the dutch have I, J, and IJ

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

BonHair posted:

Alternatively, q doesn't exist in English without the u. Except for recent loanwords like Qatar 0

And proper names hardly count

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

maybealabia posted:

And proper names hardly count

I think there are a few others, like qi

Mister Olympus posted:

Because a) English is a gently caress and b) unlike Dutch ij, English q is pretty uncommon, with (at a guess) 95% of uses being loans from romance languages (French and Latin).

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

BonHair posted:

I think there are a few others, like qi

Because a) English is a gently caress and b) unlike Dutch ij, English q is pretty uncommon, with (at a guess) 95% of uses being loans from romance languages (French and Latin).

Qi is a good Scrabble word but I think most people use "chi"

Still obviously a foreign loan word

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Mister Olympus posted:

Because no one wants to rewrite the alphabet song.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Mister Olympus posted:

Why would we give any credence to the dutch?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Even Afrikaners realised 'y' was always the way to go. But now the Dutch don't want to give any credence to South Africans.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Paladinus posted:

Even Afrikaners realised 'y' was always the way to go. But now the Dutch don't want to give any credence to South Africans.

Nobody should give credence to South Africans.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
https://twitter.com/DKThomp/status/1713937759113498642

Soon, the rest of the world will join Danish mothers in spending infinite time with their children. Only in France will you be able to see a mother without her child

Adhemar
Jan 21, 2004

Kellner, da ist ein scheussliches Biest in meiner Suppe.
I’m the 1965 parent somehow keeping a child alive spending only 25 minutes a day with them.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Ah, those perfect days when you had to let the local drunk watch your kids in the street while you got some work done.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Adhemar posted:

I’m the 1965 parent somehow keeping a child alive spending only 25 minutes a day with them.

Dr Spock's classic guide to modern scientific parenting, "The Common Sense Guide to Faun and Rabbit Kit Care".

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Adhemar posted:

There must be a method error here.

Hypothesis: Families were larger, and they've divided the "time with children" metric by the number of kids to come up with the plotted "time spent with child" metric?

My mom's generation grew up with 4 siblings and a stay-at-home mom, there's no way they had less time with their mothers than my daughter does, but if we split my time by 5, this plot might look more reasonable.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

There must be a method error here.

Hypothesis: Families were larger, and they've divided the "time with children" metric by the number of kids to come up with the plotted "time spent with child" metric?

My mom's generation grew up with 4 siblings and a stay-at-home mom, there's no way they had less time with their mothers than my daughter does, but if we split my time by 5, this plot might look more reasonable.

The error come with the extrapolation from a handful of data points in some cases to two at the lowest.

https://twitter.com/cheeze_squeeze/status/1713983577178947918?t=urGQQf6fmwU4ymfjOc5JRw&s=19

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Also there's a big difference between a 3 year old and a 10 year old, let alone teenagers. You can safely ignore the 10 year old if you need to and leave them with friends, but the 3 year old is gonna hurt themself or something before an hour has passed. If your low sample sizes also don't account for age, that's barely even worthwhile data.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Love to look at charts meant to show a trend and see all the data points have overlapping confidence intervals before nodding at a job well done.

Love to read in a meta analysis "research has confirmed our memories are not distorted." Definitely reviewing literature with an open mind.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

:eyepop:

Thinking about stepping outside the office to yell at some researchers to come look at this poo poo.

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

My parents chose to both "unschool" and practice "benevolent absence" when raising me and my two siblings. It's a miracle I know how to use a toilet.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

First of May posted:

My parents chose to both "unschool" and practice "benevolent absence" when raising me and my two siblings. It's a miracle I know how to use a toilet.

But do you know not to use an exponential regression for two data points?

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

ikanreed posted:

But do you know not to use an exponential regression for two data points?

Oh yeah, guh-doi, obviously.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

First of May posted:

It's a miracle I know how to use a toilet.

Actually, we've been meaning to talk to you about that. Because what you're doing is, uh....it's weird.

Telegnostic
Apr 24, 2008

Captain Hygiene posted:

Actually, we've been meaning to talk to you about that. Because what you're doing is, uh....it's weird.

What are you, some kind of expert?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Telegnostic posted:

We follow chain of command here, poster. Chain. Of. Command.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Telegnostic posted:

Do you not see the user name?

C'mon, son...

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

It's... some kind of chart, at least.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I am a blind homo cockroach (Ask Me Anything)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Yeah, yeah, I'm gonna become a rat, whatever, but I've heard that there's apparently bad food in the sewers? Is it true?