Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you agree?
Yes, you are hurting the content creator's™ feelings and future
No, youtube is infringing on my rights with anti-ad blocker ads
Just click out and suck it up OP lmfao
I watch videos on dailymotion instead
Goku using incognito mode
View Results

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

hbag posted:

spotify also don't pay their artists poo poo so just use bandcamp and plexamp

Don't worry they gave Joe Rogan a bunch of money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
YouTube saved my life.

Before YouTube I weighed 32 pounds soaking wet, constantly starving. Then I saw my first mukbang video and thought I could try that and had my first bite of food... And success.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

temple posted:

I feel my situation being the same as Viktor Vektor's in the new Cyberpunk 2077's DLC ending (spoiler: after years of fighting against the Zetatech corporation wanting to buy his clinic, he gives up out of exhaustion and accepts their offer).

I've been watching YT exclusively on my Samsung Smart TV, comfortably laying on my bed, for years now. I'm just tired, exhausted, completely destroyed by the constant need of muting the 35-40 seconds of unskippable commercials, having to reach for my remote while I'm (for example) washing the dishes, seeing any video constantly interrupted and my experience made effectively worse.

I'm just tired of fighing this war of attrition I've been enduring for years now. I'm considering trying the premium's free month, then giving them these loving monthly 12€ (I have no one to share a family plan with, and I'm no student).

I just want to point out that I don't feel treated well as a customer. I feel blackmailed, forced to sub and taken by exhaustion rather than being offered a valid deal, and this really saddens me. I feel treated like poo poo by Google's mafia behavior. If only they had a (let's say) 5€/month plan with only ads removal, not including the rest like originals/music/background play etc., I'd do it immediately. But the only thing I can do to preserve my mental stability is this.

I deeply apologize with everyone, guys. I feel weak and tired, powerless in the end of those american greedy corporates like if Cyberpunk 2077's dystopian future was already starting to happen. Good vibes to y'all, hoping for the future to get better and maybe some sort of revolution.

Peace out, everyone.

You can jailbreak Samsung smart TVs but it does take a bit of tech fiddling.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

temple posted:

I feel my situation being the same as Viktor Vektor's in the new Cyberpunk 2077's DLC ending (spoiler: after years of fighting against the Zetatech corporation wanting to buy his clinic, he gives up out of exhaustion and accepts their offer).

I've been watching YT exclusively on my Samsung Smart TV, comfortably laying on my bed, for years now. I'm just tired, exhausted, completely destroyed by the constant need of muting the 35-40 seconds of unskippable commercials, having to reach for my remote while I'm (for example) washing the dishes, seeing any video constantly interrupted and my experience made effectively worse.

I'm just tired of fighing this war of attrition I've been enduring for years now. I'm considering trying the premium's free month, then giving them these loving monthly 12€ (I have no one to share a family plan with, and I'm no student).

I just want to point out that I don't feel treated well as a customer. I feel blackmailed, forced to sub and taken by exhaustion rather than being offered a valid deal, and this really saddens me. I feel treated like poo poo by Google's mafia behavior. If only they had a (let's say) 5€/month plan with only ads removal, not including the rest like originals/music/background play etc., I'd do it immediately. But the only thing I can do to preserve my mental stability is this.

I deeply apologize with everyone, guys. I feel weak and tired, powerless in the end of those american greedy corporates like if Cyberpunk 2077's dystopian future was already starting to happen. Good vibes to y'all, hoping for the future to get better and maybe some sort of revolution.

Peace out, everyone.

Just pay the monthly fee if you care.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Lol at people stanning for YouTube/Google, of all the loving things.

Fwiw I'm not getting anything on Firefox + ublock origin

hbag posted:

Bandcamp just got bought out by a vulture company and it fired half of its workforce, so it can be crossed out of that list pretty soon.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

why would people log into youtube?

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

ChubbyChecker posted:

Because it's a vital source of their entertainment that they watch nearly everything on, from music to comedy to informative how-to's and they use it every single day, for hours.

But it's not worth 14 dollars.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

ChubbyChecker posted:

To interact with the insightful users and get useful recommendations from the algorithms!

Youtube provides a valuable service and there is simply no way that anything else would rush in to fill the void it left if it was gone. I dunno I once read video streaming is really expensive so we’re really lucky to have it and I guess we should accept the experience no matter how bad it gets or even better learn to enjoy bumpers and commercials.

Every advertisement watched brings us closer to finally funding a quality experience.

Internet Old One fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Oct 17, 2023

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

ChubbyChecker posted:

my subscriptions

neamp
Jun 24, 2003
Videos are now blocked for me (Firefox/uBlock Origin). Playback still works if I turn off ad block, refresh and immediately turn it on again, but obviously that's a hassle.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Punkinhead posted:

Because it's a vital source of their entertainment that they watch nearly everything on, from music to comedy to informative how-to's and they use it every single day, for hours.

But it's not worth 14 dollars.

I’m not sure if you’re serious about the 14 dollars. Go on any streaming service and check out all the old TV shows that are only there as a cheap way of inflating their library numbers and remember that a bunch of people died after spending most of their waking free time watching that poo poo.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

are people aware that you can watch youtube without logging in?

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

ChubbyChecker posted:

subscriptions yeah

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Me, after years of gorging myself on the witches house made of candy and I'm being coerced into a dark scary metal box in the wall

"What the gently caress, what the gently caress!!!"

Except being burned alive is paying to continue to eat the house

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Internet Old One posted:

I’m not sure if you’re serious about the 14 dollars. Go on any streaming service and check out all the old TV shows that are only there as a cheap way of inflating their library numbers and remember that a bunch of people died after spending most of their waking free time watching that poo poo.

What do you mean 'a bunch of people died'? like from being sedentary? are the shows haunted?

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I'll pay a subscription fee if they pay me for the information harvested.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Ad-free YouTube and YouTube Music are a "fair" price for the content. Unless you want to go to Netflix or Hulu or whatnot which cost more, have fewer services, arguably worse content, and still might get ads.

All streaming is a joke.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Dropping hard truths itt:

The janitors at the TSMC factory or the electrical engineers at Intel or the cafeteria staff at the YT offices are not gonna get up at 6am every day and work their lovely jobs for 8 hours without some compensation(especially not if it's just so people can watch Anime dating game LPs for free)

They want some money for the tedious work and none of you nerds click on ads or vote for candidates in the ads. Actually, you are freeloading off bonzi buddy and malware blasted boomers who are hoarding various cheap juicers and herbal supplements in their basement

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

No. 6 posted:

Ad-free YouTube and YouTube Music are a "fair" price for the content. Unless you want to go to Netflix or Hulu or whatnot which cost more, have fewer services, arguably worse content, and still might get ads.

All streaming is a joke.

No, don't you get it? I'd rather endure ads to the point of attrition or have some Rube Goldberg-esque device/software to block the ads because Youtube was free in 2006 and it should be free 17 years later. No don't talk about the other paid streaming services I have where I spend an hour going through menus and then finally settle on watching Youtube instead. What are you? A paid Google shill I bet! Good luck talking with Mr.Google's cock in your mouth!!!

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Tarkus posted:

What do you mean 'a bunch of people died'? like from being sedentary? are the shows haunted?

Lol maybe I’m being too dramatic.

I mean they spent most of their waking free time watching shows that are basically considered unwatchable today.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

If you stay too long on the couch watching Netflix you can get thrombosis and die. It's no joke

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Punkinhead posted:

Me, after years of gorging myself on the witches house made of candy and I'm being coerced into a dark scary metal box in the wall

"What the gently caress, what the gently caress!!!"

Except being burned alive is paying to continue to eat the house

drat got the next @dril posting right here on these very forums

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Internet Old One posted:

Lol maybe I’m being too dramatic.

I mean they spent most of their waking free time watching shows that are basically considered unwatchable today.

lol, that's kinda what I figured but I wasn't sure.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Tarkus posted:

lol, that's kinda what I figured but I wasn't sure.

I do like the idea of a sitcom so bad that the regretful souls of obese boomers ringu you for wasting your valuable life watching it.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

I'm doing their premium trial thing and will reconsider once it runs out.

In the meantime they are pushing a bunch of videos with sub 1000 views to me about the "SSSniperWolf controversy." What the gently caress? I don't watch YouTube drama stuff, I have no idea who they're talking about, I have clicked do not recommend on every single one of them and they're all under 1000 views. I guess they need to start harvesting more of my personal information because they don't know what the gently caress.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Tarkus posted:

No, don't you get it? I'd rather endure ads to the point of attrition or have some Rube Goldberg-esque device/software to block the ads because Youtube was free in 2006 and it should be free 17 years later. No don't talk about the other paid streaming services I have where I spend an hour going through menus and then finally settle on watching Youtube instead. What are you? A paid Google shill I bet! Good luck talking with Mr.Google's cock in your mouth!!!
Hmm no, I don't think I'll voluntarily give more money to the megacorp that has turned ubiquitous surveillance into a business and used its free services to lodge itself into every part of society so that you pretty much have to use them.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

over 13 years i have managed to cultivate a recommended / suggested list from youtube which is practically flawless. i have not seen a clickbait video title in ages. nearly everything recommended is excellent viewing and/or episodes of long-forgotten media.

and i'm willing to sacrifice it all rather than give a dime to an online video clip subscription site. i dont give a gently caress how many influencers you pimp. i'm here to watch my name is saad. namaste.

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

Tarkus posted:

...Youtube was free in 2006 and it should be free 17 years later. No don't talk about the other paid streaming services I have where I spend an hour going through menus and then finally settle on watching Youtube instead...

Don't worry, I don't pay for streaming services, either.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Look, it's not like YouTube has millions of people creating content to draw people to their servers at a cost of effectively nothing to them. It costs a lot to produce all those videos!

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

neamp posted:

Videos are now blocked for me (Firefox/uBlock Origin). Playback still works if I turn off ad block, refresh and immediately turn it on again, but obviously that's a hassle.

I've found that spamming the escape key while the page is loading will kill whatever script they're trying to run fairly consistently. You only need to get it once and then you can watch as many videos as you want as long as you don't close the tab.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I wonder if the reason I haven't been targeted for this is because I have Google fiber, and therefore might stop paying them

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
You can also uBlock suggested videos so you don't constantly get barraged with 1-hour long Super Mario 64 lore and/or Fox News anti-Chicago/San Francisco Crime By Scary Foreigners videos because uBlock is good and cool

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

hbag posted:

got some bad news about bandcamp

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

ikanreed posted:

I wonder if the reason I haven't been targeted for this is because I have Google fiber, and therefore might stop paying them

They already have your data

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I think I deserve good products sold to me at a reasonable prices. Youtube is not. Youtube is a glorified file host who has near zero customer service, pushes right wing poo poo/other garbage (it hasn't done it in awhile for me guess I told it to not recommend enough), doesn't moderate ads much. They can gently caress off. Anyone defending them can also gently caress off. Gee golly turns out monopolies are bad. Who knew? Yes yes I know people love using the narrowest definition of monopoly possible so that they don't have to admit to themselves things are as poo poo as they are. Anyway I'm going to block ads, use sponsor block, use enhancer for youtube and maybe use dearrow. Not sure about dearrow yet but it's kind of neat changes thumbnails to be less bold font. gently caress ads, I don't ever want to see them they are complete and utter garbage.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Oct 17, 2023

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
We're all moving to vimeo

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Duck and Cover posted:

I think I deserve good products sold to me at a reasonable prices. Youtube is not. Youtube is a glorified file host who has near zero customer service, pushes right wing poo poo/other garbage (it hasn't done it in awhile for me guess I told it to not recommend enough), doesn't moderate ads much. They can gently caress off. Anyone defending them can also gently caress off. Gee golly turns out monopolies are bad. Who knew? Yes yes I know people love using the narrowest definition of monopoly possible so that they don't have to admit to themselves things are as poo poo as they are. Anyway I'm going to block ads, use sponsor block, use enhancer for youtube and maybe use dearrow. Not sure about dearrow yet but it's kind of neat changes thumbnails to be less bold font. gently caress ads, I don't ever want to see them they are complete and utter garbage.

i like watching funny videos on youtube, you should see the cat clips they've got on there, they're amazing

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

No. 6 posted:

They already have your data

Yeah, no poo poo. They get that no matter what I do. Do you think adblockers help with that?

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Started using YouTube Adblock by Friendly (on Chrome) yesterday and it seems to be doing the job of cutting out the adverts, although there's now a very slight pause in longer videos where there'd normally be ad-rolls. Still better than having yoghurt adverts suddenly screaming at me while I'm watching a Half In The Bag episode from 7 years ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
You know God is always watching and gathers way more data on you than any tech company ever will be able to, right? Santa sees nearly as much and publishes some of his surveillance data every year.

I'm not gonna stop using them because of it. Who cares