Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

harrygomm posted:

great thanks for those. i know it’s probably not ideal but has anyone played on a steam deck? my partner has one i can use sometimes and civ seems like, graphically, a good fit. not sure if steam workshop would allow those mods to be used in conjunction or what, i basically know nothing about the hardware other than to expect lower performance than a modern PC

i mean i know CIV has been ported to ipad before and it was kind of OK from what i remember, but

Yeah it plays on steamdeck and with mods. It's pretty battery intense though so keep it near the charger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

How does it control on the Steam Deck? Are you still just moving a cursor around?

And does it get hot?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Lol, I got barb hosed so hard that my neighbors intended invasion force ended up becoming UN peacekeepers

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Lmao

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Elias_Maluco posted:

Religion is still bad even after all the DLCs imo

edict: Im bad at Civ 6 even though I have soime hundreds of hours on it and never played MP but always wanted to try and a full MP game seems a lot more fun. It would be my first time seeing how is civ 6 experience is when not playing against a braindead cheating AI

I almost always go for religion on my diety games because I think the early game benefits can range from good to amazing depending on where you start. I almost always go for cultural victories so I need a massive faith generation for naturalists and rock bands late game, but you can leverage it for extra production and military units too. I used to go tithe right away to boost my gold, but gold is so plentiful I started switching to world church to get a massive early game culture boost. I find stupas giving every city a free amenity pretty big too. Religion seems pretty critical to holding onto peripheral cities during dark ages and flipping other civs' cities during golden ages, and an early game monumentality settler rush can snowball you from the start.

My most recent game was a random leader/shuffle map game that gave me Nubia with a really bad tundra start. Religion let me salvage the start with some amazing work ethic holy sites.

edit: Woops, if you are talking about mechanically, yeah it's kind of garbage. AI can not defend against a religious victory at all and it is like you are playing a really simplistic domination game. I kind of wish the AI would at least declare war on you and kill all your apostles at least instead of just sit there and watch while you steamroll your religion across their empire. I guess at least they put religious units on their own layer so you can sort of ignore them. But god why are void cultists not on the religion layer. Sometimes the AI will just build dozens of them and just park them all across my territory so I can't move around in my own borders.

a_gelatinous_cube fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Oct 9, 2023

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Winner of January '10 Lux Aeterna "Best 2010 Poster" Award
I seem to recall that, if you trade early diplomatic points with a neighbouring AI, so that they have less than 21 diplomatic points, they are unable to bring up a greivance choice window if you start spreading your religion in their territory.

If the AI has *more* than 21, they can open up that "stop spreading your religion" window. Any future attempts to actively spread your religion, either by defeating their missionaries or converting their cities will anger the ai and generate greivances.

If the AI is unable to bring up the dialogue window for lack of diplomatic points, then your 5 apostles can start murdering the AI's missionaries by spawn-camping the AI's holy sites, and not generate any grievances.

Guigui fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Oct 15, 2023

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Hilarious. The grievances system is great imo, it's really what was needed in the civ5/6 system. Likewise the religious combat system is... not awful, apart from being a victory condition.

The way Civ handles diplo requests, otoh...

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

My #1 wish for Civ 7 is to not have diplomatic messages force themselves onto my screen with no warning. Just put it in a notice on the side with all the others so I can read it at my leisure. No I don't need Norway yelling at me for having a lovely navy every other turn when I'm completely landlocked.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Civ: BE model of the leaders text-sniping at each other

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Sjór þinn er varnarlaus, vinr minn! Árás væri auðveldaverk...

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Fister Roboto posted:

My #1 wish for Civ 7 is to not have diplomatic messages force themselves onto my screen with no warning. Just put it in a notice on the side with all the others so I can read it at my leisure. No I don't need Norway yelling at me for having a lovely navy every other turn when I'm completely landlocked.

I feel like they won't fix this. It's become a staple of the series for other civs to ask you to embark in game altering decisions without giving you the option to research the state of the world.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
Harald should care about coastal cities, not ships. The whole Agenda system is so wide open for improvements and innovation...

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
i know this is probably a tired trope at this point, but man what a start. playing as João III portugal. standard everything, no gameplay/starting bias affecting mode

torn between settling in place for a bunch of production and immediately churning out a settler to take advantage of Mt. Roraima or trekking the 4 turns over to settle closer

game and map seed, if anyone wants that, 703564306

harrygomm fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Oct 16, 2023

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

harrygomm posted:

i know this is probably a tired trope at this point, but man what a start. playing as João III portugal. standard everything, no gameplay/starting bias affecting mode

torn between settling in place for a bunch of production and immediately churning out a settler to take advantage of Mt. Roraima or trekking the 4 turns over to settle closer

I’d be more tempted to hedge and spend 1 turn to settle on the hex 2 north from origin then buy the super hex with gold as fast as possible, and because I am a fresh water settle addict.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

harrygomm posted:

City tile will constantly be demolished by volcano eruptions and those floodplain tiles will never not be flooded. :cripes:

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
i’m not opposed to rushing an aqueduct for fresh water but i did want to try to make my best cities coastal, or at least able to put a harbor down so i can take advantage of the international trading civ focus. maybe it’s just the kind of start where you can ignore the civ bonus because it’s so good

getting the super tile asap is the goal either way.

Poil posted:

City tile will constantly be demolished by volcano eruptions and those floodplain tiles will never not be flooded. :cripes:

i love trying to make the most of volcano yields but i imagine i’d have to throw that governor with the anti destruction upgrade into the city immediately and permanently

harrygomm fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Oct 16, 2023

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Normally I'd just settle close to spawn and churn out a settler first thing but getting to 2 pop with that land will take a while, let alone growing any further than that.

That still may be the best move, but if I'm being cheeky I'd settle my cap on the tribal village between the two wheat on T3. It's coastal which is always good for Portugal, has a wheat tile with 1faith/1science to work immediately and you can buy the other good tiles, and you can probably pull something like early religious settlements(lol as if the AI will let you) to settle near the volcano immediately or fertility rites to jumpstart the wheat tiles and go from there.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Fister Roboto posted:

God, I had this one game on a map with no oceans, where Harald would call me (and every AI, presumably) to whine, every 30 turns like clockwork. At one point, I was moving an Infantry across my empire, and its path happened to take it over a lake. Immediately - during the middle of my turn - he called me up to congratulate me on taking my navy seriously.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
yeah it's pretty great

My favorite sudden agenda trigger is having Chandragupta's second-to-last city rebel and turn to my side, which caused him to immediately phone me up and tell me how great it was that we had never been neighbors. Apparently his agenda has the exact same conditions as the Territorial Expansion casus belli, which requires you to have two cities within range of two cities of a different civilization, so being reduced to one city made him immediately chill out.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Blasmeister posted:

because I am a fresh water settle addict.
:same:

It's taken literal years to not require a river settle

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

harrygomm posted:

My first thought: move one space and settle on the coast next to the river, where you can have fresh water as well as access to Portugal trade routes, and an extra production from settling on plains hills. But then, there's not much food there.

So what about that spot next to the wheat and fish? No fresh water, but coastal is good enough. But with no good place to put your holy site or campus, it's not very attractive either, really.

So what about between the two wheat? We can't really see what's going on there, but at least there will be a good holy site around Mount Roraima. Also, you'd be settling on turn 4, which is already dicey, when the AI's cheaty starting forces will be hunting for you. Could be worth it if the land beyond the vision is good but idk.

Final conclusion: If that doesn't look good, just slam the restart button. I hate when you start in an endless plains with no grassland, it's a recipe for an extremely slow early game, especially with so few woods/rainforest. Also you can't cut down the woods north of the mercury, because it's the only thing stopping a bunch of that land from droughting.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Do you care about the super early pantheon? If so go for it, else settling turn 1 with the two 3-cog forests in the first circle is the better choice - all that science isn't worth anything if you can't afford to make your first builder/slinger/monument/settler at a reasonable pace, and you can force-buy the third ring to get the 8-yield tile. If you're dying for a particular pantheon you should walk over, and if you feel like burning the pantheon for religious settlements (probably always the right choice, but still RNG as you don't know if anyone else has turn1 faith) as you can just send the free settler back to the start position.

I'd personally take the die roll on getting Religious Settlements, but that's me.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
i’ve spent too much time looking at the start and not actually playing it, but i like seeing what i might be able to do.

i was thinking a holy site could be dropped on the 8 yield tile for a base +6 faith which might be worth it with scripture and uh the belief that turns faith into production for a 12 faith 12 prod tile, but that kills that tile pretty early if i want to found a religion and still get uh work ethic, that’s it. then wat then cross cultural/world church as needed?

i dunno. i might just try one start, play it to 100 out something and then try a different start and compare

e: i settled the hill with faith just south of the super tile, locked my worker into the super tile, got a relic from a goody hut, got a pantheon on turn 10 and still didn’t get religious settlements

harrygomm fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Oct 17, 2023

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

One of the worst things about Civ VI is that district buildings take a turn to repair no matter how much production your city has. Your holy site hit by a volcano? Have fun wasting 4 turns of your Rhur Valley production hub to fix it.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Districts were a mistake :colbert:

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

I like districts but like nearly everything in Civ 6 they could’ve been implemented better

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Tom Tucker posted:

One of the worst things about Civ VI is that district buildings take a turn to repair no matter how much production your city has. Your holy site hit by a volcano? Have fun wasting 4 turns of your Rhur Valley production hub to fix it.

I could live with that if I didn't have to manually tell it to repair the district, then the next turn tell it to repair the shrine, then the next turn tell it to repair the temple, then the next turn tell it to repair the stupa. I get that disasters are supposed to have an impact, but why make it such a chore to clean up the mess afterwards? Repeat for every single district that was damaged. You can reduce it a little by repairing all the districts first (if you have a production queue, can't remember if that was a mod), then start on each building, but it's still 4 manual operations that could've been reduced to 1.

AG3 fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Oct 17, 2023

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

John F Bennett posted:

Agreed.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

John F Bennett posted:

I don't like how they make the world so much smaller. There's barely any countryside! It's all districts, it's like half the map is urban areas

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Districts are the best, I love em. And they're fun to pillage.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
It'd be cool if instead of districts you had to place zones kinda like Sim City. Early game they might start out as residential / commercial / agricultural and as you progress through the game you could zone for more specific things like research campuses. Zones would only grow if there was enough city pop to fill in the job slots.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
I like some of the ideas and goals behind districts, but think they missed the mark a bit in execution.

My understanding, at least, is that the goal was to unstack cities somewhat, in the same way they had previously unstacked units. The districts taking up map space, and caring where on the map they were placed, incentivizes some specialization of cities, where previously every city settled would instabuy the same buildings as every other settled city, basically. The districts not being purchasable, by default, also slows down the establishment and growth of cities a bit, and makes production matter more compared to say gold when not building wonders.

Wonders taking space had many of the same motivations, making it so you couldn't just shove them all in the same city.

Unfortunately, the actual execution has, to me, greatly devalued many wonders, as the same bonus in VI as in V simply isn't worth giving up a tile sometimes, and the limit on how many you can put in the same city means you miss out on many more of them, as your high-production cities get filled up and you have to try building them elsewhere.

My vision for "districts, but less bad" would be having waay fewer types of district, just the really specific ones like space centers and uniques, and replace all the standard districts with just neighbourhoods, that provide housing and generic building slots. So to keep growing your city, you have to sacrifice some natural resources to expand the room the city has, but you don't dedicate an entire hex to just one thing. Basically drop the specialization but keep some unstacking.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Why would I, a smart and cool ruler, build a library outside of the city walls.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Mike the TV posted:

It'd be cool if instead of districts you had to place zones kinda like Sim City. Early game they might start out as residential / commercial / agricultural and as you progress through the game you could zone for more specific things like research campuses. Zones would only grow if there was enough city pop to fill in the job slots.

Civ but every city is simcity

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Microplastics posted:

Civ but every city is simcity

And there’s also a prequel era where you actually play out being a Hunter gatherer tribe.

And we’ll extend it out to space.

Hop in boys we’re making Spore 2

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

John F Bennett posted:

Why would I, a smart and cool ruler, build a library outside of the city walls.

If it fits within city limits it must not be very great

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I like to cluster my districts all up so it looks like one big city instead of a bunch of disconnected enclaves.

It's not even that satisfying because all the districts have the same discordant greco-roman/European architecture that does not mesh with anything or look remotely contiguous even with the little shanties that get peppered around if it's near the city center.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

It's not even that satisfying because all the districts have the same discordant greco-roman/European architecture that does not mesh with anything or look remotely contiguous even with the little shanties that get peppered around if it's near the city center.

So I love Districts and District play, but the fact that Districts all look the same regardless of which Empire builds it is a huge loss. I really wish they had unique architectural styles for each Civilization (if not for each leader).

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Microplastics posted:

I don't like how they make the world so much smaller. There's barely any countryside! It's all districts, it's like half the map is urban areas

Agreed. It really made the world small and completely eliminated any armies meeting in the field.

Phosphine posted:

I like some of the ideas and goals behind districts, but think they missed the mark a bit in execution.

All of this too.

Unless they find a way to make the world much larger, without affecting processing time, they have to really rethink districts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
You're not wrong there, breaking the hexes into a smaller grid would solve a lot of issues people have. Like, 1UPT would be bearable again, and major landmarks like city centres could take up more than a single tile.

This might be anathema to the civ aesthetic, but a lot of other 4X games have fiddled around with the formula and done 'destacking' in various fun ways - provinces, etc.