Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Being Human apparently got a novel trilogy.

"Annie is invisible and has left the pub. Nina has left George and the vampires of Bristol are without a leader, since Herrick has gone."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

mystes posted:

Sounds like the mistake is having fans who are obnoxious as gently caress

So, fans then?

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

So what’s the world of epic fantasy looking like now, outside of Brandon Sanderson (who has become a victim of his own success, IMO)?

I made the mistake of trying to browse Amazon and…ugh. At some point (I’m guessing post-Stephanie Meyer and Twilight) the fantasy genre was invaded by the dime-store romance genre and basically everything in the section has the word “sexy” somewhere in the description.

That’s cool if you’re into it but it’s hard to find anything else on the storefront right now, and they don’t even put iterations of Fabio on the cover to help me recognize what I’m looking at anymore.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

The Sweet Hereafter posted:

It really bugs me that just about all the urban fantasy set in the UK is set in London. I can't even think of any examples that aren't

Surely that's just regular fantasy.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Ravus Ursus posted:

I read the entire Alex Versus series straight through in 5 weeks. I cannot explain why, considering, having finished it, I do not like the series. I must have liked some part of it, as I kept moving along. I think reading it that quickly may be part of the problem as, instead of having time to ruminate on each book, I just moved to the next one. And seeing reviews of people comment on characters changing so much over the course of the series was bizarre since they all felt flat, rushed, and like their development was tangential to the main character brooding.

Alex Versus is basically Batman though. He has foresight and an incredible ability to prepare but is absolutely outclassed by everyone around him and manages to come out on top anyway.

Maybe I'm just jaded. The most recent Dresden didnt land for me, and I'm a weirdo who likes the second book with the werewolves that everyone seems to blow off.

Yeah, he writes pageturners. They're popcorn. New one seems very much in the same vein.

Edit: jacka is doing an AMA right now and basically stated that this series is intended to be a progression fantasy series with better character development and motivations than the genre normally is treated with.

It really bugs me that just about all the urban fantasy set in the UK is set in London. I can't even think of any examples that aren't, would be open to any recommendations if anyone else can come up with some.

Witches of Lychford by Paul Cornell

Highlander

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Oct 17, 2023

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Jedit posted:

Funny you should mention Aaronovitch in the context of pasting names on, because he's admitted that he didn't do all his research on Rivers of London quite as well as he should have. Specifically, he didn't visit Russell Square before locating the Folly there and wound up describing a building that doesn't exist. This is a major annoyance to fans who want to take a photo of themselves outside, and that annoyance is passed on to him.

I suspect that's why Ed McBain set his 87th Precinct mystery series in a city that's New York with all the names changed, so no one could call him out if he got a detail wrong.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Remulak posted:

I just read, in total incredulity, Stephenson’s Termination Shock, so the floor is pretty low.

It’s so bad. Holy Whig it’s even worse than Seveneves which I abandoned 20 pages in because the sloppy blowjobs of Elon and Degrass-Tyson were making my eyes roll too much to actually be able to focus on a page.

I liked the part in Termination Shock where Neal turns to the camera and say "I don't like Elon anymore. We need an even richer billionaire to save us."

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

VanillaGorilla posted:

So what’s the world of epic fantasy looking like now, outside of Brandon Sanderson (who has become a victim of his own success, IMO)?

I made the mistake of trying to browse Amazon and…ugh. At some point (I’m guessing post-Stephanie Meyer and Twilight) the fantasy genre was invaded by the dime-store romance genre and basically everything in the section has the word “sexy” somewhere in the description.

That’s cool if you’re into it but it’s hard to find anything else on the storefront right now, and they don’t even put iterations of Fabio on the cover to help me recognize what I’m looking at anymore.

Yeah, fantasy has a lot of different fingers in the pie these days, which – while good – makes it a real chore to discover stuff. I would say that a decent chunk of the audience for new epic fantasy has been diverted into the maelstrom of various self-published fictions. Keywords to look out for might be "progression fantasy" if you want a range of indulgent power fantasies, or litRPG if you want REALLY indulgent power fantasies. The Cradle series and the Mage Errant series might be decent places to start looking.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Haystack posted:

Yeah, fantasy has a lot of different fingers in the pie these days, which – while good – makes it a real chore to discover stuff. I would say that a decent chunk of the audience for new epic fantasy has been diverted into the maelstrom of various self-published fictions. Keywords to look out for might be "progression fantasy" if you want a range of indulgent power fantasies, or litRPG if you want REALLY indulgent power fantasies. The Cradle series and the Mage Errant series might be decent places to start looking.

I would say if someone thinks Twilight / romantic fantasy is trashy then they probably will not like litRPG or other similar nuclear waste-tier fiction.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

VanillaGorilla posted:

The Janny Wurts mistwraith series is epic fantasy with magic and dragons and everything and is better than the stuff you mentioned, it has some people in the thread who really enjoy it although it’s not 100% my thing.

The Last Kingdom series is technically historical fiction (England during the reign of Alfred the Great in the 9th century) but everyone believes in gods and some supernatural stuff happens every now and then, it’s also supremely better written than everything you mentioned. If you don’t mind a lack of on screen dragons or fireballs it’s great.

The Emperor of Blades trilogy by Brian Stavley is also decent, two brothers and a sister vying for a throne, it basically has fantasy navy SEALS and elves and dragons.

The Bone Ships is epic-ish naval fantasy.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...
I am an outlier in not being a Cradle fan, so I am not the best evangelist for it. That said, based on my read of the first book it doesn't scratch the 'epic fantasy' itch if you define that as ASoIaF/Malazan/WoT-esque; the scale is perhaps comparable but, at least with Cradle, there is a primary protagonist perspective and if you jump into someone else's head it's largely to explain or support something that has happened or is about to happen (or is foreshadowed to happen in later books) to that protagonist. Maybe it changes as the series goes on, although I was not interested in finding out; in any case, I don't think it's a match for the ask.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I suspect the fantasy doorstopper market these days is mostly filled by Brandon Sanderson.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I finished up Chasm City a while back. I'd like to start on Revelation Space soon, do any of the characters or places mentioned in Chasm City show up in Revelation Space or was it a completely independent story in the same universe?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I finished up Chasm City a while back. I'd like to start on Revelation Space soon, do any of the characters or places mentioned in Chasm City show up in Revelation Space or was it a completely independent story in the same universe?

They have a bit of overlap, especially the mythology you learn at the 'bottom' of Chasm City. In a good way!

Enjoy, I think Revelation Space and Redemption Ark are fantastic.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Epic fantasy doorstoppers you should read, Strix edition:

Janny Wurts' Wars of Light and Shadow. Final book coming next year, 10+ volumes of thick-as-a-brick fantasy about two princes who are cursed to hate each other, and how they sweep up nations in their personal conflict. If you like book 1 you'll like the rest, if you don't like book 1 definitely stop there, she has a style and it's dense n' wordy.

Brian M Stableford's Genesys trilogy. Kind of dry, fuckin' weird, almost more sci-fi than fantasy, these books are set on a world where everything decays at an accelerated rate and the biology is weird. The timber you built that house with? It's already rotting and it's only been a few years. It follows a dude who has a choice: stay in prison and do forced labor on making a big wall / maintaining it, or get a seed implanted in him and go on an adventure. I don't even know how to describe the rest of it, but there's weird ant people.

CJ Cherryh's Fortress in the Eye of Time series. I love this author I love this series. Book 1 is a kind of standalone - wizard tries to create a homunculi and put the soul of an elf lord in it, fucks up, winds up with our protagonist: a child who has to learn everything from scratch very quickly. Our other protagonist is a prince who is heir to a kingdom that's deeply medieval, in the sense that it's not about absolute power, it's about the king cutting deals with the feudal lords and shoving them all together under one banner when they really don't want to be there. Great stuff, focuses on the mundane as well as the epic.

Ventus by Karl Schroeder. Standalone 600+ page book that could have been a whole series but nah he just shoved it all into one book. Our hero is a dude named Mason who is a... mason, and he's expecting to stay one and build poo poo when a dude named Armiger implants something in him, and now things are off to the races. Starts fantasy, goes sci-fi, stays fascinating.

Crown of Stars by Kate Elliott. Owning this series is like owning seven bricks. Big cast, fun take on fantasy europe with medieval politics and religion and dragons, this is a huge journey that recently got a full audiobook release? Wild! One warning: midway through the first book, our heroine is sold into slavery to a "husband" who abuses and rapes her for too long, and she's extremely traumatized by the time she escapes him. It's brutal to read so be careful - and he does show up again later.

Crossroads trilogy by Kate Elliott. Different setting, different characters, same deal: three bricks with a fascinating story. This time it's in a kingdom where there are giant birds that our heroes get to ride and care for, and there's magic bullshit happening, and it's great. Unfortunately for me, Ms Elliott has included more awful brutal stuff happening to women. The women are main characters and go on to do important, awesome things, but you have to be ready when reading her stuff.

Winnowing Flame trilogy by Jen Williams. Ancient elven empire is crumbling, weird alien bugs are invading, adventurers and witch prison escapees must go forth! ... I should finish reading this set.

Chronicles of Elantra by Michelle Sagara. 17+ book series that's almost more urban fantasy, but... it's set in a fantasy setting where dragons rule a giant multi-cultural city. We've got bird people, cat people, elfs, more. Our heroine is a lady cop who has magical tattoos that were placed on her mysteriously, and you get to watch her go from immature young adult to more mature adult as the series goes on - like, it's not YA but you can see her going from the precinct pet baby cop to someone with responsibilities. She gets involved with elf politics, dragon nonsense, murder investigations, all the weird poo poo as the world building keeps going. I love this series.

Hunter's Oath by Michelle West. Duology, first stop in her huge series of fantasy doorstoppers. I'm talking like 15+ bricks. Michelle Sagara-West does her "fun and easy reading" fantasy in Elantra, then comes to her West penname for the doorstoppers. I think they're better written but harder to read by virtue of the length/density/etc. I'm not sure how to describe this one, it's been a while. But have a look! (PS while the series published by DAW are complete, they were building to a big "finale" arc that DAW has dropped, so now she's working on it via patreon.)

The Seer by Sonia Orin Lyris. Standalone, 900+ brick about a girl who can see the future. I haven't read this since 2019 and don't remember much... but I remember really liking it. The author did write more, but got into a dispute with Baen so they're self-published. Haven't read yet.

Dragon Lord by David Drake. Standalone, 300 pages that seem slim but are super fun. It's about King Arthur - the historical one, the one who's a bit crazy, the one who is a warlord. It's about the protagonists, a pair of traveling mercs-for-hire who get hired to find something magical for Merlin. Weird and gritty and fun.

Coldfire Trilogy by CS Friedman. Sci-fi backstory, fantasy setting. Human colonyship crashes on a plane where there's a natural force that reflects your inner thoughts and emotions at you - if you have a nightmare, it becomes real. If you believe you can cast fireball, you can. Weird setting, cool. Our hero is a priest-mage who catches up with an old flame who is an incredible sorcerer, who then gets kidnapped by evil. He has to team up with the local vampire dark lord to rescue her, and things get even weirder.

Tales of the Taorimin by Cheryl J Franklin... and how it crosses over into her sci-fi series? I haven't read all of these yet. They're weird and old and I've met no one who has heard of them.

Finally, because I don't like you, Magravandias trilogy by Storm Constantine. Who wants fantasy, incest, weird magic, unpleasant people, and all the weirdness the author can think of? Probably my least favorite work from her set, but fuckit, I can almost guarantee you haven't heard of it, and the cover art is cool enough to share:

mystes
May 31, 2006

I started reading Fated and I really don't like it. It feels like it's just alternating between tedious infodumps and random events suddenly happening to the protagonist. To the extent that things that sound potentially interesting have come up so far, they've also all been things that happened earlier/off screen just being described. Also it already feels like the protagonist's power is already poorly defined/inconsistent even in the very beginning because he apparently has the ability to pull a name out of nowhere by looking at every possibility but then in other cases he can't do things that seem 100% equivalent to that?

StrixNebulosa posted:

Epic fantasy doorstoppers you should read, Strix edition:
I don't think I've read any of these and I've been looking for more fantasy stuff to read so I'll have to check them out.

mystes fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Oct 17, 2023

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

e:

Unknown goon posted:

Chronicles of Elantra by Michelle Sagara. 17+ book series that's almost more urban fantasy, but... it's set in a fantasy setting where dragons rule a giant multi-cultural city. We've got bird people, cat people, elfs, more. Our heroine is a lady cop who has magical tattoos that were placed on her mysteriously, and you get to watch her go from immature young adult to more mature adult as the series goes on - like, it's not YA but you can see her going from the precinct pet baby cop to someone with responsibilities. She gets involved with elf politics, dragon nonsense, murder investigations, all the weird poo poo as the world building keeps going. I love this series.
I love those, but OP expressed contempt for SF romance, and I think they'll dislike these books. Awesome lady cop has many, many crises to cope with, but an ongoing thread is a love (very much sort of) triangle with an elf and a human. Triangle in the sense that both of them would like to have her, but she is not at all into it and there's a strong implication she's ace, or at least has too much PTSD for sex.

Jeddit posted:

Funny you should mention Aaronovitch in the context of pasting names on, because he's admitted that he didn't do all his research on Rivers of London quite as well as he should have. Specifically, he didn't visit Russell Square before locating the Folly there and wound up describing a building that doesn't exist. This is a major annoyance to fans who want to take a photo of themselves outside, and that annoyance is passed on to him.
Yeah, I loved those, and then I mentioned them to a London friend, and she nearly screamed (online) at all the errors about London. When London is actually a character in the novel, you shouldn't be sloppy.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Oct 18, 2023

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I suspect the fantasy doorstopper market these days is mostly filled by Brandon Sanderson.

Sanderson, by himself, writes more doorstoppers on the side than a stable of authors would pump out in a decade. I don't what that says about whom, but to outpace Stephen King is a dear unto itself

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

mystes posted:

I started reading Fated and I really don't like it. It feels like it's just alternating between tedious infodumps and random events suddenly happening to the protagonist. To the extent that things that sound potentially interesting have come up so far, they've also all been things that happened earlier/off screen just being described. Also it already feels like the protagonist's power is already poorly defined/inconsistent even in the very beginning because he apparently has the ability to pull a name out of nowhere by looking at every possibility but then in other cases he can't do things that seem 100% equivalent to that?
It takes a couple books to hit its stride. I remember the first one read like a Dresden fanfiction to me but I enjoyed the rest of the series.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

It really bugs me that just about all the urban fantasy set in the UK is set in London. I can't even think of any examples that aren't, would be open to any recommendations if anyone else can come up with some.

It depends on how you define "urban fantasy", I guess - there's a ton of witchy-stuff-in-the-countryside-and-small-towns I'd define as folk horror instead, but is folk horror just the rural version of urban fantasy? Does something like Robin Jarvis' Whitby Witches trilogy count as urban fantasy?

I was going to point out Tony Ballantyne's Dream Paris, but um, not in the UK. Unless the Govt's planning to invade France to gain popularity.

Jedit posted:

Well dur, hidden by magic. Obviously.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Brian M Stableford's Genesys trilogy. Kind of dry, fuckin' weird, almost more sci-fi than fantasy, these books are set on a world where everything decays at an accelerated rate and the biology is weird. The timber you built that house with? It's already rotting and it's only been a few years. It follows a dude who has a choice: stay in prison and do forced labor on making a big wall / maintaining it, or get a seed implanted in him and go on an adventure. I don't even know how to describe the rest of it, but there's weird ant people.

Yeah, Stableford is always very dry; much more a good ideas man than a good writer. But I'm very fond of the Genesys books because he obviously read all the weird mediaeval bestiaries I did as a kid and then went all highly-qualified-biologist on them. Which rules.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Yeah, I loved those, and then I mentioned them to a London friend, and she nearly screamed (online) at all the errors about London. When London is actually a character in the novel, you shouldn't be sloppy.

For some reason or other I don't mind that so much, in spite of living here. He gets the feel of London well, I think.

Though of course the eternally-unconquerable top-tier London fantasy series is the Borribles. Evil Wombles, evil Steptoe and Son, evil Met Police and of course the root of all evil, money. Fruit of the barrow is enough for a Borrible.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Doesn't urban fantasy effectively just mean fantasy set in a normal modern society in modern times instead of a fantasy world without technology or a wizard school that theoretically exists in a location on modern Earth but is totally separate from normal society?

I guess a bunch of definitions say that it literally has to take place in a city but that seems like taking the name overly literally to me

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

mystes posted:

Doesn't urban fantasy effectively just mean fantasy set in a normal modern society in modern times instead of a fantasy world without technology or a wizard school that theoretically exists in a location on modern Earth but is totally separate from normal society?

I guess a bunch of definitions say that it literally has to take place in a city but that seems like taking the name overly literally to me

It's city fantasy like space opera is about singing in space.

For most of them the better term would be something like "paranormal investigation novels", tbh.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

Anode posted:

Why did he get so dull?

(I quit Seveneves about that far in too, though unlike most people I actually liked kind of like Fall, but not as nearly as much as the old good stuff)

Fall is a really good short story (Moab) wearing a bad to mediocre novel as a hat.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Psion posted:

this was me, and I regret that choice. Serpentwar died the minute I was asked to read about shares, stocks, and options of trading fleets done in a coffee house that was definitely not lifted straight out of London coffee houses. A specific one, I think, but which one has escaped me. And then it gets worse! Still, fair point that the first one is alright and it's relatively self contained. Might be worth it for someone who comes out of Riftwar and Empire trilogy and still wants more.

I should've specified that if someone likes the first Serpentwar book then maybe try the next two and skip every chapter that doesn't focus on Eric and that crew because the part you mentioned is, while technically important, extremely dull. And yet, it reads like world-class poetry compared to the ending of Shards. It's really hard to stress how bad Shards' ending is other than to say that the wrap up to the Firemane trilogy is probably even worse but that at least comes across as Feist going "oh gently caress this is a trilogy and I have too much poo poo setup for a single book to finish it properly, so gently caress it (ending spoilers fore Firemane) let's throw in the Dread as a threat at the last minute, further drive home that one character is written as Erik von Darkmoor 2.0, and some major cameos who also serve as plot points while making the MC into an unfathomably powerful mage (who needs to be trained on using said power in a series that Feist will hopefully never write). I really can't stress how stupid the ending to the Firemane series was and I don't think I'd ever re-read the first two books knowing how stupid the third one is.

Psion posted:

as for why I suggest someone coming in from BAK not read the two books between Riftwar and Serpentwar, it still stings how dirty, um, a certain character got done. But ymmv.

The worst part is that there's actually 4 (maybe 6? I think there are two novellas) books between Betrayal and Serpentwar so I'm not sure which character you mean because there are two who get done dirty, though only one of them exists in the Riftwar and BAK so I guess it's that one.

CaptainRat posted:

I am an outlier in not being a Cradle fan, so I am not the best evangelist for it. That said, based on my read of the first book it doesn't scratch the 'epic fantasy' itch if you define that as ASoIaF/Malazan/WoT-esque; the scale is perhaps comparable but, at least with Cradle, there is a primary protagonist perspective and if you jump into someone else's head it's largely to explain or support something that has happened or is about to happen (or is foreshadowed to happen in later books) to that protagonist. Maybe it changes as the series goes on, although I was not interested in finding out; in any case, I don't think it's a match for the ask.

Cradle is a cultivation series and while I enjoyed it I don't think I'd ever describe it to others as Epic Fantasy. Especially with the larger backdrop of the Way, Abidan, etc being very sci-fi in their setup and how that affects the overall framing for the series.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

VanillaGorilla posted:

The world of epic fantasy you want now exists in video games is the simplest explanation for where the next generation of authors went so the untended space could be settled by barely disguised romance fiction (or probably more accurately epic fantasy that met the needs of the readers who were willing to buy a copy).

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

buffalo all day posted:

The Bone Ships is epic-ish naval fantasy.

new RJ Barker is great, if as ever depressing. Gods of the Wyrdwood, its about a planet that magic can tip with one hemisphere is constantly cold and starving and fighting for their god to win a war, tip the planet back and make themselves warm and rich, until it repeats. No metal, there are huge near sentient woods circling the planet, magic is powerful but eats your brain. You know the kind of hard-scrabble stuff they love.

https://www.amazon.com/Gods-Wyrdwood-Forsaken-Trilogy-Book-ebook/dp/B0BH4KHZSS

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I think the simplest way to read Feist is the classic rule of "Read through the series till you stop enjoying them and stop at that one".

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I am the Serpentwar defender and yet, even I hate Rise of a Merchant Prince. Didn't mind Shards of a Broken Crown except the stupid epilogue.

The books after, hilariously with the World's Best Swordfighting Chef are even worse.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

VanillaGorilla posted:

For epic fantasy, there's also the Malazan Books of the Fallen, which I usually recommend with the caveat that they're very much a love-em-or-hate-em thing.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Gareth hanrahans books are good, he has a new book that looks on the epic side. Also three books of a more gritty style that are very good (gutter prayer et al)

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Thanks for the recommendations, friends!

I guess I'm trying to fill the WoT shaped hole in my heart after finishing my 3rd series reread in anticipation of the show. I've also read the Malazan series a couple of times, and loved them as well. I've tried to get into Sanderson but something about his prose and the underlying formula that his books often follow just doesn't resonate (through no fault of his - he has a style, and I can respect it).

I’ve picked up a couple of books from the various lists and the first book of the Cradle series for something lighter.

VanillaGorilla fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Oct 18, 2023

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I just finished the Second of the Merlin sextology of Amber stories. Almost all the same problems I increasingly had with the Corwin stories and more acutely felt with the first of Merlin's; the work is overlong with too many digressions and speculative politicking over having actual movement in the narrative, Merlin himself makes very few actual moves in the narrative besides roaming around and talking to people and with all the extra illegitimate children the Amberites have running around it's getting harder and harder to keep everyone's loyalties and lineages straight. It does end in a more interesting way then all the stories since the first of the Corwin saga though, I'm actually compelled to keep reading actively instead of as an intellectual exercise.

It is funny though how much the raid on the enemy fortress Merlin goes on feels like an adventure book, I don't know if it was an active choice by Zelazny but he keeps mentioning having to take one of two paths, and trying to save his spells. It felt like a Lone Wolf gamebook. Anyways the real reason I'm writing the post is that Zelazny mentions Last Year at Marienbad my favorite film, so at least if the Amber saga isn't quite matching up to the vision in my head I'd formed in reading about the setting I do still know that the writer has good taste in films.

Cross posting from the Long Term investment thread.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
sextology 'eh

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

silvergoose posted:

Okay I'm a quarter through Saint of Bright Doors

The line that has stuck out the most so far (it's not exact but close enough): "I'm dying. The doctors will tell you it's cancer. But actually it's disappointment in you." good loving lord

Finished it. Yeah, that's *fantastic*. One of those stories where the author tells you exactly how it's going to end, right there at the beginning, but that doesn't reduce the impact along the way at all.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I remember liking Feist's Merchant Prince stuff, but I must've been maybe fourteen and immensely fascinated by the novelty of actual economy in a fantasy epic. :shobon:

I will not revisit it to check whether it was actually good or not.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

buffalo all day posted:

The Emperor of Blades trilogy by Brian Stavley is also decent, two brothers and a sister vying for a throne, it basically has fantasy navy SEALS and elves and dragons.

I really did not like the first book in the trilogy. Dreadful prologue and general pacing, anachronisms all over the place, thesaurus-at-hand writing... and the misogyny was fairly gross, both in the story itself (sexual assault as cheap drama, fridging!) and the 'male gaze' writing throughout. Some of the worst I recall reading in a modern release, if ever. It also loved having plots depend on someone getting knocked out from one blow to the head.

EDIT: Oh, yeah, and it has everyone's favourite epic fantasy staple. A protagonist whose name begins with K.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Oct 18, 2023

The Sweet Hereafter
Jan 11, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Witches of Lychford by Paul Cornell

This is actually one of my favourite fantasy series of all time, but I don't think of it as urban because it's set in a tiny town and rooted in the countryside. I've lived in tiny towns or large villages for about half of my life and they don't feel urban to me.

Runcible Cat posted:

It depends on how you define "urban fantasy", I guess - there's a ton of witchy-stuff-in-the-countryside-and-small-towns I'd define as folk horror instead, but is folk horror just the rural version of urban fantasy? Does something like Robin Jarvis' Whitby Witches trilogy count as urban fantasy?

What I was trying to say is that the UK has a lot of proper 'urban' places that aren't London and whose history could easily be mined for interesting stories, characters, and locations. Bristol, Manchester, Liverpool, Glasgow, Edinburgh (I'll check out the Edinburgh Nights series, thanks!), Cardiff, Swansea, Newcastle, York, Lincoln, and plenty more. Also Birmingham, but please don't do Birmingham. Nobody needs that.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I love those, but OP expressed contempt for SF romance, and I think they'll dislike these books. Awesome lady cop has many, many crises to cope with, but an ongoing thread is a love (very much sort of) triangle with an elf and a human. Triangle in the sense that both of them would like to have her, but she is not at all into it and there's a strong implication she's ace, or at least has too much PTSD for sex.

Can you fix your attributions, please. Looks like you pasted someone else's quote into a post about my post.

(Mostly for the benefit of whoever you're trying to reply to.)

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

This is actually one of my favourite fantasy series of all time, but I don't think of it as urban because it's set in a tiny town and rooted in the countryside. I've lived in tiny towns or large villages for about half of my life and they don't feel urban to me.

What I was trying to say is that the UK has a lot of proper 'urban' places that aren't London and whose history could easily be mined for interesting stories, characters, and locations. Bristol, Manchester, Liverpool, Glasgow, Edinburgh (I'll check out the Edinburgh Nights series, thanks!), Cardiff, Swansea, Newcastle, York, Lincoln, and plenty more. Also Birmingham, but please don't do Birmingham. Nobody needs that.

Milton Keyes. Those concrete cows are up to something. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

It also loved having plots depend on someone getting knocked out from one blow to the head.
"oh, oh! now he'll have amnesia!" or whatever that Venture Bros quote about that is