Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
It is very funny to see a random schmuck enshittify their public Facebook group.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

EdsTeioh posted:

Like...is running a Facebook group a legit business these days? How do you guys feel about people charging to use a free service?

Moderation and administration is work. People might not be willing to pay for it, but charging for it isn’t crazy.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

EdsTeioh posted:

Not really sure if this is the right place for this, but I guess it's industry related: Anyone following or aware of the drama on the RPG Auctions facebook group? TLDR on it is that this group is massive; like 10k+ members but is run and admined by ONE dude with no moderators. Despite that, the group actually runs pretty well. A while back though, the admin decided to open up a Patreon where you can pay like $5 a month for a "community ambassador" badge which as far as I can tell does nothing. Fine, whatever. Over the weekend, dude drops this thing basically stating that "if you want to sell miniatures in this group, you now have to have a Miniatures Merchant badge which you can get by subscribing to Patreon at $9/month for earlybirds or $14/month for everyone else." Lotta folks called him out on it and had threads locked and deleted and he gave a response that was "this group was never run for altruistic purposes; it's always been part of a business plan." Like...is running a Facebook group a legit business these days? How do you guys feel about people charging to use a free service?

Don't know specifics, but anything is a legit business if you can get paid to do it.

On some level running a group that large probably is fairly time consuming, and stressful. Especially if like he has to deal with members scamming and other poo poo that comes with dealing with a community based around members selling and auctioning things to other members(Note don't know if they actually have to deal with this, just thinking about it from other experiences I've had when dealing with sales inside of a community). So I get trying to maybe make some bread off of it to justify the time. I'm generally a pretty firm believer in like charging whatever you feel some service or product is worth, and it's at that stage where I will decide whether or not I will pay for it. How they are handling such a massive fundamental change to the community does not seem great for the future prospects of using that service as 9 or 14 dollars a month to have the right to potentially sell something on that group seems like comical price gouging.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
There's a point where running a community stops being fun and becomes a chore. The obvious solution would be to recruit more mods, but even if it's a purely volunteer effort that still requires personnel management which feels like work. If the guy is burned out then he might not care as much whether this new change destroys the group.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Gynovore posted:

I think that's pretty much it. There's no other way on the intertubes for the average guy to create his own discussion forum with no money and little effort.

https://www.proboards.com/

I'm sure it's probably complete and utter garbage, as I haven't been to a proboard in like probably close to literally 2 decades lol, but yeah.

The hard part is probably more in convincing people to like actually create an independant account for your bespoke forum

Splicer posted:

I think you're misreading but I think that's on me. I'll clarify.

Any individual discord server is an enclave controlled by the whims of a few mods/admins.
Any individual subreddit is an enclave controlled by the whims of a few mods/admins.
Any individual forum (such as SA as a whole) is an enclave controlled by the whims of a few mods/admins.

Discord and other evolved chat room systems are the best fit for some purposes.
Reddit and other algorithmicly sorted feed spews are the best fit for some purposes.
Forums are the best fit for some purposes.

Anyone can easily spin up a discord for free and pay money for extra features as required. All the technical upkeep is externalised.
Anyone can easily spin up a subreddit for free and pay money for extra features as required. All the technical upkeep us externalised.
Setting up a new forum is a pile of up front effort and cash and there's no off the shelf way to externalise technical upkeep.

There is no technical reason why there couldn't be a Discord/Reddit equivalent where I log into forumz4us.com and press a couple of buttons to spin up Splicer's Cool Games (subforums: games, bugs, suggestions, cooking, general, memes, cursed memes), but forumz4us.com doesn't exist. So Discord, Reddit, Twitter etc are being used where they are fit for purpose and also as bad substitutes for forumz4us.com.

The context of my original reply was in response to someone who was under the impression people were mad at the idea of bespoke communities, when the complaint is that these bespoke community platforms are being used for things their formats are not good at.

Ah okay, yeah I was misunderstanding that, my bad.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
There is a large board game community on Facebook that the (shithead chud) admin monetized and gets all kinds of sponsored content from publishers for it. The group was always low effort garbage but if I were a member I would be pissed that they turned it into a commercial space. It'd be like mods selling sponsored posts in hobby specific threads.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Kai Tave posted:

Normally I'd say I'm skeptical that anyone would want to buy a site that, to most people these days, is best known for "the place that caused 4chan to happen," but Elon Musk bought twitter because he felt right-wingers weren't getting enough of a platform and now he spends his time posting about how "demographics are destiny" and beefing with a guy called catturd so anything is possible in this dumb world we live in.

did something awful "make 4chan happen" just because a goon did it? iirc 4chan was just him stealing the code from 2channel for a place to post pictures of poo poo

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
It might be one of those "We drove the horrible people off our site and forced them to create a worse one rather than <Static and fax machine noises> That would have solved the problem." things.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Why would anyone steal code from 2ch? If I remember right one of their coding forums had to basically rewrite the software and use a custom client because it was so bloated otherwise.

Then again I one made a semantic wiki on Referata that got taken off and moved to private hosting and apparently half of the contributors now curse me by name for using the semantic features..

It is a concern that spammers and hackers have now effectively become indirect tools of Big Content, though.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

It was specifically setting up something that could share images easily then delete them after enough inactivity, back when image hosting bandwidth was more at a premium.

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

did something awful "make 4chan happen" just because a goon did it? iirc 4chan was just him stealing the code from 2channel for a place to post pictures of poo poo
moot was a goon and advertised 4chan on SA for a bit. 4chan got a lot of migration from SA after lowtax banned hentai sometime later. That is the full story.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Terrible Opinions posted:

moot was a goon and advertised 4chan on SA for a bit. 4chan got a lot of migration from SA after lowtax banned hentai sometime later. That is the full story.

There are some people - quite possibly unhinged narcissistic sociopaths, granted - who claim the full story is significantly more involved than that, and that 4chan was either conceived of or rapidly transitioned into a front for serious crime-time and unethical social experimentation for laughs. Is that true? Probably not, or at least not entirely. Is it possibly true? Yeah, sadly, given what we know for sure about 4chan, it is. Odds are good that we’ll never know.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Kalman posted:

Moderation and administration is work. People might not be willing to pay for it, but charging for it isn’t crazy.
You will pay them cash wages or they will pay themselves psychic wages. Fortunately, some people gain satisfaction from the bizarre ritus that is Moderation.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Nessus posted:

You will pay them cash wages or they will pay themselves psychic wages. Fortunately, some people gain satisfaction from the bizarre ritus that is Moderation.

Absolute freaks IMO

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

the amount of self hate it must take to accept the offer to be a mod has to be immense.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Kalman posted:

Social media moderation should properly be paid labor, imo, particularly when it comes to big companies who can definitely afford it but continue to let their social hubs either be unmoderated or run off of volunteer mods.

Zoeb
Oct 8, 2023

Dislike me? Don't spend $10 on a title. Donate to the Palestinian Red Crescent or Doctors Without Borders
https://www.palestinercs.org/en
https://www.doctorswithoutborders.org/
https://www.belloflostsouls.net/202...m_medium=Social

quote:

The Turtles Are Back – Palladium Announces ‘TMNT RPG’ Kickstarter

Palladium Books announced that their original TMNT RPG, originally published in 1985, is coming back – on Kickstarter.

The heroes on the half shell are back in a big way. Late last week, Palladium Books announced that it would be republishing the classic Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles RPG, which has been long out of print. Working with Paramount, Palladium will be launching a TMNT RPG Kickstarter featuring full-color hardcover books with new artwork.

I really wish they weren't using the Palladium system. That system is terrible. It would be a good game to introduce kids to RPGs otherwise.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

EdsTeioh posted:

Not really sure if this is the right place for this, but I guess it's industry related: Anyone following or aware of the drama on the RPG Auctions facebook group? TLDR on it is that this group is massive; like 10k+ members but is run and admined by ONE dude with no moderators. Despite that, the group actually runs pretty well. A while back though, the admin decided to open up a Patreon where you can pay like $5 a month for a "community ambassador" badge which as far as I can tell does nothing. Fine, whatever. Over the weekend, dude drops this thing basically stating that "if you want to sell miniatures in this group, you now have to have a Miniatures Merchant badge which you can get by subscribing to Patreon at $9/month for earlybirds or $14/month for everyone else." Lotta folks called him out on it and had threads locked and deleted and he gave a response that was "this group was never run for altruistic purposes; it's always been part of a business plan." Like...is running a Facebook group a legit business these days? How do you guys feel about people charging to use a free service?

a reasonable response to something like this would be to migrate the group to another site or page... but that requires that A. someone has the werewithal to actually try to create a replacement, B. that replacement attempt is popular enough and disseminated enough among everyone else that they pick up on it and move to it, and C. you don't get competing replacements that split the community

and it's fairly difficult to get all three of those points to line up, such that sometimes the old thing keeps chugging along, even if it's already made bad, because the alternatives never hit a critical mass

this is also a thinly-veiled allegory for twitter

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kai Tave posted:

Social media moderation should properly be paid labor, imo, particularly when it comes to big companies who can definitely afford it but continue to let their social hubs either be unmoderated or run off of volunteer mods.

For some strange reason specifically after the last couple of years, I completely agree.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Zoeb posted:

I really wish they weren't using the Palladium system. That system is terrible. It would be a good game to introduce kids to RPGs otherwise.
Does anyone have any idea what the chances are that they'd do something like Savage Worlds Rifts again? I have no idea if it was a success for them.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Halloween Jack posted:

Does anyone have any idea what the chances are that they'd do something like Savage Worlds Rifts again? I have no idea if it was a success for them.

As far as I know that's still going. There's a supplement that was crowdfunded still being delivered to folks now, I think it was South America themed?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

theironjef posted:

As far as I know that's still going. There's a supplement that was crowdfunded still being delivered to folks now, I think it was South America themed?

Yup. I'm not sure if the final version is out but it wasn't that long ago. The KS - or Pinnacle's private version - always seem to do really well.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
So if that product line is going well for them, and they can do new editions of old games when they don't even have image rights, Savage Nightbane is still a possibility.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Basically, if you can get Shane Hensley to give a poo poo about a Palladium line, there could be a possibility. That said, I think Nightbane was CJ Carella's baby and so Kevin himself might be less inclined to dust it off. But who knows, there may be money!

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Palladium didn't do the Savage Worlds stuff though; that was PEG licensing it. This new version will most likely just be a copy/paste of the original with some "new" stuff in. I can't imagine that'll go over well in this age of things like "game balance" and "tight rules" and I'm a dude that ran Robotech for YEARS.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Oh God, I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to imply that I wanted to buy a Nightbane book that was actually written by anyone at Palladium. The last sourcebook was revolting.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017

Zoeb posted:

https://www.belloflostsouls.net/202...m_medium=Social

That system is terrible. It would be a good game to introduce kids to RPGs otherwise.
Do children still like and care about TMNT? The only people I've ever seen talk about it were in their thirties or later.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

mellonbread posted:

Do children still like and care about TMNT? The only people I've ever seen talk about it were in their thirties or later.

There's been three movies and three animated series in the last decade, so maybe?

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

mellonbread posted:

I don't know if he's indicative of anything with other kids his age, but my cousin's 14 year old son is super into some TMNT phone game and seems to enjoy the whole thing in general. I was catching up with him about a month ago and it was the easiest way to get him to open up, and that just started a flood of kid excited to talk about his favorite characters and their stories.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Megazver posted:

There's been three movies and three animated series in the last decade, so maybe?

And one of those movies came out two months ago. Of course kids these days think TMNT is cool.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Though, based on TMNT osmosis with my seven year old, outside of Shredder/Splinter/April/Turtles, most of the rogues' gallery and supporting cast is reworked in newer iterations. So will younger generations care about all the fluff in an old TMNT book? Likely no.

CitizenKeen fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Oct 17, 2023

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Yeah TMNT is very very popular.

There is a new animated cartoon every generation.

They are very good at keeping it relevant.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

The Palladium TMNT was laser-focused on the Eastman/Laird comics that were more satirical and packed with 80 action-movie style violence.I doubt it would hold much appeal to even a current TMNT fan. Most older and younger fans’ focus now is the brighter aesthetic that was launched by the 90s cartoon and has molded the franchise ever since.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Younger kids absolutely get into older stuff. Everything's on streaming and online, all pop culture is just one big bucket to them, everything old is new again. A lot of the time the ones who started with the newer series will be absolutely hyped to find older series that are more dark and serious, or whatever suits their developing tastes.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Gatto Grigio posted:

The Palladium TMNT was laser-focused on the Eastman/Laird comics that were more satirical and packed with 80 action-movie style violence.I doubt it would hold much appeal to even a current TMNT fan. Most older and younger fans’ focus now is the brighter aesthetic that was launched by the 90s cartoon and has molded the franchise ever since.

Ideally they'd shoot for being blending a mix of the various franchise iterations - and the 2012 series actually did this really well - or have some advice how to do so but that would require writing new material which Kevin is pretty adverse to on reprints and more specifically role-playing advice with maybe Alien Rope Burn can correct me on but I don't think Kevin's ever done the latter.

(CJ Carrera did, talking about playing Juicers in one book, but that's the only time I can think of in a Rifts™ book.)

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
There's also the 03 Version which is probably the closest to an animated version of the comic I think

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

It's me, the idiot who loved TMNT as a kid and will throw money at this kickstarter for a reprint of the TMNT rpg that I'll likely never play.

I mean I own a copy of the Street Fighter corebook so it's not like dumb rpgs with license on em aren't something I'll throw money at.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
The new TMNT movie was fantastic too. Don't skip it if you have any interest in TMNT or animation in general.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Honestly my favorite iteration of the franchise might be the ongoing series from IDW that Sophie Campbell does work for which added a female turtle to the group (and it's lightyears better than Venus de Milo) and even has an After the Bomb reference. It's really good.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Terrible Opinions posted:

It was specifically setting up something that could share images easily then delete them after enough inactivity, back when image hosting bandwidth was more at a premium.

It's kind of amazing that one of the major contributing factors to a lot of the social and political upheaval we've experienced over the past decade can be traced back to a bunch of nerds too skeevy to be goons...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Xelkelvos posted:

There's also the 03 Version which is probably the closest to an animated version of the comic I think

Not counting Turtles Forever, which has a crossover between that and the 84 Turtles, and also suddenly the OG comic Turtles. They get along better than you'd think.

KingKalamari posted:

It's kind of amazing that one of the major contributing factors to a lot of the social and political upheaval we've experienced over the past decade can be traced back to a bunch of nerds too skeevy to be goons...

A lot of that is really, wildly overstated.