Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Pigbuster posted:

I honestly don't get why the dev says that, I think it'd be possible to add a temporary hardcoded migration fix by just checking what entries in the event shop are there or not. A sloppy fix but thems the breaks when you push that kind of oopsie live.

If you're fine with save editing you can fix it yourself by opening a save file in a text/code editor and searching for
code:
,"relic":
That'll bring you to an array of all the relics you've gained. Add the ones you'd bought before the closing bracket of that array:
code:
,"massiveGrain","bronzeTools","dictionary"
Then, delete those entries from the event shop's "shop_big" array. They're formatted like this:
code:
,{"prize":"relic_bronzeTools","taken":0,"data":null}

Thanks for this, I did spend some time going for that dictionary. Hate editing save files, but ehh...

FYI on my current export file the dictionary was already gone from shop_big, didn't have to delete it. Just had to add it to the "relic" list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Baddog posted:

FYI on my current export file the dictionary was already gone from shop_big, didn't have to delete it. Just had to add it to the "relic" list.

Ohhh you're right, they won't be there because the shop entry gets removed, I could remove that part

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Woot woot, just got my first 1,000K GP and open palm slammed the Auto-eat upgrade. I made this money through Gold Nuggets -> Gold bars overnight with 3 or 4 check-ins.

Now I can battle and do something else and come back and maybe my character doesn't lose his Steel Plate Chest (G) when I come back. To let that Idle I will need to idle some large quantities of food. I'm thinking about pushing the (Normal) Township Task that takes 250 birdsnests and gives you 500 raw chicken and just roasting those over my furnace. Then I use that fuel to idle idk... the farmers seem like a good candidate, gotta get the garden up before I lose interest in Melvor. I will lose context for all these nonsense words and nonsense math soon. I hope, before I lose lucidity, I download the unlimited idle mod and set my character to farm Astrology.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Pigbuster posted:

Ohhh you're right, they won't be there because the shop entry gets removed, I could remove that part

It is useful if someone wants to double check / push it a bit further, the event is 12 flavors of bullshit

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

KirbyKhan posted:

Woot woot, just got my first 1,000K GP and open palm slammed the Auto-eat upgrade. I made this money through Gold Nuggets -> Gold bars overnight with 3 or 4 check-ins.

Now I can battle and do something else and come back and maybe my character doesn't lose his Steel Plate Chest (G) when I come back. To let that Idle I will need to idle some large quantities of food. I'm thinking about pushing the (Normal) Township Task that takes 250 birdsnests and gives you 500 raw chicken and just roasting those over my furnace. Then I use that fuel to idle idk... the farmers seem like a good candidate, gotta get the garden up before I lose interest in Melvor. I will lose context for all these nonsense words and nonsense math soon. I hope, before I lose lucidity, I download the unlimited idle mod and set my character to farm Astrology.

Alternatively, you could've gotten Woodcutting to 80 for Magic logs, those sell for 3k a pop. And then Fishing for a quick furnace meal... or Potatoes for a lot of cheap pot meals. But yeah, you got options.

Also don't forget to upgrade your tools too.

And one last thing: if you have a high Combat Level, Fierce Devils mostly drop Potato Seeds. Which you will need to even start Herbology.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I kept pushing through my frustrations with Melvor after not playing it for years and after the initial confusion of the kind of weird tutorial, UI that feels like it's just a dang website, and them never explaining how to expand your loving bank, I'm having a better time with it. The township stuff seems neat as an extra passive treadmill running in the background. I'm still not really finding it very satisfying to progress in a way that NGU was, probably mostly because there's just so many different things that can be leveled and most of them are just clicking the button and coming back later and idk it's hard to see how it all relates to one another at this point beyond the basic "cutting trees gets you logs that you can level firemaking with and also get seeds for farming".

I did buy the expansions though because I can't stand the thought of there being locked content that might be fun and also I'm weak.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

GooBoo: Horde opens up at 53, you get another gear slot and 100x bone cap

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

pixaal posted:

Unless that includes a new gear option that lowers enemy respawn time or boss requirement, that doesn't fix my issue.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

girl dick energy posted:

Unless that includes a new gear option that lowers enemy respawn time or boss requirement, that doesn't fix my issue.

I have a feeling the number of heirlooms that you can get since mini bosses drop them is going to change things. Right now I think we have a higher number of souls and lower number of heirlooms than if we had started level 1 in this system. I could be wrong, I mean it doesn't feel good still. I don't think it's unfixable either.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

pixaal posted:

Only if you have enough bone cap to buy the loving thing.

I'm at 6Sx bone cap and the next monster bag costs 130k monster parts.

Am I missing something obvious?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

level your Milk

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
Discussion > Vlad Games > Idle Incremental Clickers: I will lose context for all these nonsense words and nonsense math soon

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

pixaal posted:

level your Milk

The souls cap is like 2mil at L53...

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

I got a lot of souls, my old highest zone was 60.

There seems to be a balance problem, there's no heirloom that gives bone cap... can we get counterfeit squirrel bones please?

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

pixaal posted:

I got a lot of souls, my old highest zone was 60.

There seems to be a balance problem, there's no heirloom that gives bone cap... can we get counterfeit squirrel bones please?

Yeah I did too but I spread em out evenly figuring it was roughly balanced.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

goferchan posted:

Here's something pretty new and different -- Asbury Pines is still pretty early on, just in demo stage right now, but it's a narrative heavy idler with some mystery/horror elements. Definitely one I want to keep an eye on.

I did the demo as well. Got both other areas unlocked and demo ending stuff.

Story hopefully is more on the weird cult/time travel stuff? Saw the Worm83 starting bits with the old sheriff and the mayor and kinda checked out, despite the main climax for the present (Everly somehow appears to behead herself per the Sheriff's investigation, despite it looking like two people there) being quite a hook in and of itself. And of course, Romania's involvement in this.

Gameplay wise, it's gonna be a bit of a plate spinner. I see that I need Experience to advance the story, and to do that I need supplies. To get supplies, I need money and a staffed store. To get money, I have to scavenge it from the areas (So far, just the neighborhood and an abandoned prison). And if I have Artifacts to examine? Gotta watch those to make sure they get fully examined... even if so far it only looks to give a lump bonus for completion. It might get more complex than that, I feel. But that's why idlers are good: because you slowly get more and more poo poo to look after with some mild digging.

It's definitely a unique idea in this day of Number Must Grow types. I'll keep an eye on it.

I do also wonder what engine this runs on. The menu's giving me Melvor vibes but reskinned to a quiet mountain town feel.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Salvor_Hardin posted:

The souls cap is like 2mil at L53...

The overflow penalty is actually quite soft (75% at 2x, 63.5% at 3x, not sure how it scales further) so idling over the cap isn't all that bad if you've pushed sufficiently far to goose up the base soul gain. One thing I didn't notice at first is that soul and heirloom drop stats are based entirely on your highest reached zone, so you can idle anywhere from zone 40 to zone 1 and still progress at the same rate.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Super Jay Mann posted:

The overflow penalty is actually quite soft (75% at 2x, 63.5% at 3x, not sure how it scales further) so idling over the cap isn't all that bad if you've pushed sufficiently far to goose up the base soul gain. One thing I didn't notice at first is that soul and heirloom drop stats are based entirely on your highest reached zone, so you can idle anywhere from zone 40 to zone 1 and still progress at the same rate.

Yeah I see the path forward, its just awkward and poorly calibrated.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Crell posted:

Want to put up a buy order for as cheap as possible and I can fill 675. I can keep making more if I get some bars. I'll put up a buy order for those

BO up at 168! Put up a bar buyback for those at lowest price and let me know and I'll fill it.

Rynoto posted:

Have got ~25k obsidian bars as well as the levels for it.

I need another 5500 obsidian platebodies and 3500 obsidian shields. Can you do astral forging? I think it is probably still out of my price range but I could do a sword and hatchet.

Crell
Nov 4, 2008

Hot Leggy Blonde, you
got it goin' on.

Virigoth posted:

BO up at 168! Put up a bar buyback for those at lowest price and let me know and I'll fill it.

I need another 5500 obsidian platebodies and 3500 obsidian shields. Can you do astral forging? I think it is probably still out of my price range but I could do a sword and hatchet.

Filled it, buy order is up for 5k more bars at 68. That should get 5500 body's with preservation pots.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Crell posted:

Filled it, buy order is up for 5k more bars at 68. That should get 5500 body's with preservation pots.

Bodies are 2 bars each so double it and I'll fill it.

E: filled the 5000 to start

Virigoth fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Oct 18, 2023

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.
I just unlocked the event stuff in gooboo (excellent timing, as it's nearly over I guess!) but I really, really don't understand how to get ingredients? I somehow have obtained 3 of them, I guess, on accident, but I don't really get what I'm looking for. "Watch currencies" is not specific enough, does it mean just the main currency stores, or literally everywhere that can list a currency, like the costs for upgrades? "When they look unusual" is... also not very helpful, since I never noticed anything strange and still somehow got ingredients. Can I only find an ingredient when I have magic > 0?

I suppose none of this really matters since the event is basically already over and it sounds like it was already punishing, but I hate not knowing what I'm even supposed to be doing.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

In gooboo the event ingredients will replace the material icons in the various activity pages.

So for example, go to mining. On the main page, the various scrap and ore icons can get overwritten by an event icon. Once you mouse over that icon, you “collect” it, and it reverts to the normal icon. This can happen any place those icons appear, so on mining, the green gems on the rebirth tab can also get overwritten.

Also check gems, school, the hourglass (you have to click the hourglass to be able to mouse over the icon), in addition to village, horde, and farming.

Finally, there is a counter on the event page that lists how many ingredients are available to be picked up. That is not how many are on the pages currently, it is just a maximum that can currently be collected before they stop spawning. The higher that number is, the more that will spawn at once. I think if it is in single digits, only like 1 will spawn at a time. When you collect an ingredient, it takes 30 seconds to a minute for a replacement to spawn. So you might have to click through all the pages to find it if your counter is above zero.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

I thought the event was pretty fuckin' grim, imho

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I've been away from idlers for a minute, played them on my android mostly.

What's the go to flashy idlers these days that aren't just big melvor-esque UIs with meters filling up?

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Deakul posted:

What's the go to flashy idlers these days that aren't just big melvor-esque UIs with meters filling up?

There is Farmers Against Potatoes Idle which has Steam and mobile apps with shared saves between them (I think). It’s still getting tinkered with a bit, but should take awhile (at least a month or more) to catch up to the current end content.

The dev is currently working on an online multiplayer where once every 12 hours you can plink some damage at a boss to get some upgrade currency. But there were some bugs in a test that have to be worked through. Other than that, quite a few systems to work through. Early maxed out systems get automated away reasonably well over time. And the premium currency accumulated at a fairly good rate that even the daily quests for 1100 currency can get automated away.

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.

Orvin posted:

In gooboo the event ingredients will replace the material icons in the various activity pages.

So for example, go to mining. On the main page, the various scrap and ore icons can get overwritten by an event icon. Once you mouse over that icon, you “collect” it, and it reverts to the normal icon. This can happen any place those icons appear, so on mining, the green gems on the rebirth tab can also get overwritten.

Also check gems, school, the hourglass (you have to click the hourglass to be able to mouse over the icon), in addition to village, horde, and farming.

Finally, there is a counter on the event page that lists how many ingredients are available to be picked up. That is not how many are on the pages currently, it is just a maximum that can currently be collected before they stop spawning. The higher that number is, the more that will spawn at once. I think if it is in single digits, only like 1 will spawn at a time. When you collect an ingredient, it takes 30 seconds to a minute for a replacement to spawn. So you might have to click through all the pages to find it if your counter is above zero.

Woof, thanks for all this. I finally noticed that one of the icons that I guess isn't normally a skull was a skull, and that gave me a skull. I'm not sure I've ever committed the exact icons for all the resources in an incremental/idle game to memory. Also, I'm pretty sure one of the other resources is already a skull? Maybe it's just one of the horde timer things. Not a great mechanic, they could at least have had an animation or glow effect or something. Tedious!

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french
Even with save scumming the potion luck, I have barely acquired the grain relic. The creator said these events are supposed to be long term and you continue your progress in a future one or something? But it just feels bad to have like a 99% chance of failure no matter what you do and barely get anything out of it. Trying to get people interested in your idler but say that you can't get rewards until next year.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Deakul posted:

If you're okay with it being fairly significantly idle and more than a little P2W (which really only matters for a handful of events and you still get plenty even from those as a F2P) I have to recommend Super Snail. Really charming, fairly flashy, lots of humor (although some of it is uh... Weird) and lots of knobs and dials to turn with even more unlocking as you get further and further into the game.

Infinity Gaia fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Oct 18, 2023

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

dipwood posted:

Even with save scumming the potion luck, I have barely acquired the grain relic. The creator said these events are supposed to be long term and you continue your progress in a future one or something? But it just feels bad to have like a 99% chance of failure no matter what you do and barely get anything out of it. Trying to get people interested in your idler but say that you can't get rewards until next year.

I think there were 2 issues with this event. First, it hadn’t really been balanced well, and the dev was too busy working on main game stuff to fix it before the event expired. Secondly, I believe Global Level is supposed to have an impact on how the event progresses. So probably a case of the first event for everyone is going to suck when your global level is low, and you don’t have any of the topaz gems to sink into the event to speed things up a bit.

I am willing to give the dev a little more time to figure things out, as this is clearly still somewhat early in the development cycle. I will see how the larger events go in a couple months time when I have a bit more GL and some topaz gems.

Arbetor
Mar 28, 2010

Gonna play tasty.

girl dick energy posted:

Another new patch just dropped, that adds a taunt mode that disables both the spawn timer and loot. Lets you quickly punch through early levels and back to your main farming area without waiting on spawns. Click on the enemy timer/spawn count. Also, minibosses now count as multiple enemies, so slightly easier to get to a boss now.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Deakul posted:

The current new game people are talking about is Gooboo, though personally I'm not a big fan, it feels way too rough at the moment.

Have you played Unnamed Space Idle? It was the new hotness around here for a while, it's a very good NGU clone (NGU-like?).

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Orvin posted:

I think there were 2 issues with this event. First, it hadn’t really been balanced well, and the dev was too busy working on main game stuff to fix it before the event expired. Secondly, I believe Global Level is supposed to have an impact on how the event progresses. So probably a case of the first event for everyone is going to suck when your global level is low, and you don’t have any of the topaz gems to sink into the event to speed things up a bit.

I am willing to give the dev a little more time to figure things out, as this is clearly still somewhat early in the development cycle. I will see how the larger events go in a couple months time when I have a bit more GL and some topaz gems.

Wait, what is topaz?

pyrofreak421
Nov 25, 2010
Gooboo: Considering the event reward currency looks like poker chips and there is a casino is it possible all event currency carries over?

So even if the first event doesn't net you anything there is still some progress made?

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

pyrofreak421 posted:

Gooboo: Considering the event reward currency looks like poker chips and there is a casino is it possible all event currency carries over?

So even if the first event doesn't net you anything there is still some progress made?

It does not, I believe they've said event currency will be lost when the next event comes along. I'm not sure what will actually be maintained next year, presumably everything except the currency?

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Anyone understand whats up with the new Broken Watch?

Zero nostalgia is just actively bad right?

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Anyone understand whats up with the new Broken Watch?

Zero nostalgia is just actively bad right?

Maybe upgrade it and see if it does anything new? Unless you're on a quick run.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french
The events all seem to use Topaz but the long-running ones don't generate any.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

widespread posted:

Maybe upgrade it and see if it does anything new? Unless you're on a quick run.

Updates just boost the active ability which isn't even good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Updates just boost the active ability which isn't even good.

I think the idea is you equip it if you want to hold your nostalgia for zones that have a specific kind of heirlooms, but given the first four heirlooms are wildly good I cant see myself using it. Like Reaping is nice, but even getting to zone 60+ right now is a huge headache.