Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Fried Calamari
Apr 6, 2009

Vichan posted:

Paying it forward:

bsky-social-zng43-rdeer

bsky-social-w3a6d-ie3qe

bsky-social-etd4j-4w5bn

bsky-social-ad7ci-6dp35

Took the first. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

kazil posted:

Proud to announce X is entering the juicing game.

X, the everything app.

I heard that Elon Musk hates the juice

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Scientastic posted:

I heard that Elon Musk hates the juice

I don't trust anyone that doesn't Wheez the juice

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

The main thing I see community notes used for these days is warning people that the only advertisers left on Twitter are dropship scammers and fake mobile games.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

Lord Stimperor posted:

This is kinda neat, I might look at this on AliExpress

You might have a hoarder problem. This is not neat, you'll use it three times before you put it somewhere it'll always annoy you when you reach for one of the five appliances you actually use

3 of those appliances will do the same task as this one

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Sir Tonk posted:

im sure that is all true, but musk has definitely hung out with jones multiple times through knowing joe rogan and being in austin. maybe he doesnt listen to three hours of jones screaming every day, but hes definitely listening to him one way or another and more direclty than replying to neonazis on twitter.

Jones claims they’ve talked a lot iirc but Jones also claims to descend from a line of psychic kings so who knows

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Mr. Lobe posted:

It arguably even did something vaguely approximating what it claimed to do, which is more than, say, Theranos

The whole thing with Juicero was that it was an expensive over-engineered solution to a problem no normal person actually has. They had built an elegant, durable, finely-tuned and extremely well-made machine which… squeezed bags of juice for you so that your juice is fresh-squeezed and you don’t have to expend the effort of doing it by hand. Because what civilized person could possibly live without a constant supply of juice that was bespoke and freshly squeezed?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Anders posted:

You might have a hoarder problem. This is not neat, you'll use it three times before you put it somewhere it'll always annoy you when you reach for one of the five appliances you actually use

This is the fate of all panini presses, and the thing in the ad looks a less useful version of one.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Entropic posted:

The whole thing with Juicero was that it was an expensive over-engineered solution to a problem no normal person actually has. They had built an elegant, durable, finely-tuned and extremely well-made machine which… squeezed bags of juice for you so that your juice is fresh-squeezed and you don’t have to expend the effort of doing it by hand. Because what civilized person could possibly live without a constant supply of juice that was bespoke and freshly squeezed?

I thought it turned out that the thing was capable of squeezing juice but to simplify it all the bags were already pre-juiced. As long as people got that theater of a big machine whirring away it made their capri sun a little more fun.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i loving love gizmos, we need more gizmos on X, the everything app

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Krinkle posted:

I thought it turned out that the thing was capable of squeezing juice but to simplify it all the bags were already pre-juiced. As long as people got that theater of a big machine whirring away it made their capri sun a little more fun.

It wasn't prejuiced per se, but the plant matter was basically ground into pulp to fit into a bag, so the effort needed to extract the juice was minimal. The real scammy part was that they used juice DRM to ban you from using juice bags that were deemed "expired" so if you didn't use them up in like a week, you'd be forced to throw them out (or squeeze them by hand)

Anyway, Juiceroo was a breath of fresh air because it was a stupid venture capital project that was allowed to die quickly instead of keeping it alive for years and spending billions of dollars to force it down your throat.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Oct 17, 2023

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I love how preemptively knives out they were about protecting their juice bag DRM no you Can't just use the same QR code from the free legal bag that comes with the juicero and tape it over the camera we cross that QR code off the list you can Never use that QR code again.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Krinkle posted:

I love how preemptively knives out they were about protecting their juice bag DRM no you Can't just use the same QR code from the free legal bag that comes with the juicero and tape it over the camera we cross that QR code off the list you can Never use that QR code again.

This is to guarantee freshness and quality

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

the product ultimately failed because they ran out of unique qr codes

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

should have used Tesla Brand Xr codes

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Anders posted:

Pie irons are awesome and the allure over a sandwich press is you can stick them in a camp fire or on a camping stove.

The problem with that one is it's half size and probably made of pig iron.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Given the absolute clusterfuck that the House leadership vote is turning into, how long until ol Musky chimes in with a wild :airquote:out of the box:airquote: genius solution involving, I don't know, some kind of virtual speaker with distributed authority amongst the representatives?

I'm giving it 48 hours, tops.

Aramis fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Oct 17, 2023

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

(Soon to be Speaker?)

Spoiler: nope he lost badly

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Krinkle posted:

Also you could just squeeze the bags by hand.

I remember seeing a teardown of the Juicero itself and it was a surprisingly beefy gizmo that did its one job incredibly well, they really didn’t cheap out on it at all.

Unfortunately the one job it had was essentially pointless.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Aramis posted:

Given the absolute clusterfuck that is the House leadership vote is turning into, how long until ol Musky chimes in with a wild :airquote:out of the box:airquote: genius solution involving, I don't know, some kind of virtual speaker with distributed authority amongst the representatives?

I'm giving it 48 hours, tops.

They're already talking about making a new rule that the interim speaker has basically all the power of the normal speaker thus making all this election nonsense irrelevant anyway

Looking forward to Elon coming up with an even worse plan than the GOP

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
speaking of the house elon musk...

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Entropic posted:

Oh yeah, I didn't mean to imply it was a sensible solution to an existing problem, I'm just saying there's a spectrum, and Juicero is on a different side of that spectrum compared to other things

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Juicero was more attempts by the bougie hellchildren to widen the food desert that's rapidly taking over working class america. They want a world where only the rich get access to fresh fruits and veggies.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
What's a drop shipper

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

verbal enema posted:

What's a drop shipper

An annoying middleman that keeps no inventory of their own, they just take your money and then buy the product you ordered from their supplier, which the supplier then ships to the customer. They never touch the product.

You will not be surprised to learn that a bunch of the get rich quick grifters have heavily pushed getting into drop shipping

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I prefer the term AliExpress concierge.

Back in the day a drop shipper would get N whole pallets based on sales off of AliBaba shipped to the lowest rent industrial park bay unit and slap the FedEx labels on when the crate got there but now you just get the cheapest WordPress site possible connected to some AliExpress listings you cultivate and make pennies off the dumb and impatient.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
all those 3rd party sellers that have random letter names (or names that non english speakers think are "english") or products from company or brands that are also follow the previous pattern.

those are dropship.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Pirate Radar posted:

Jones claims they’ve talked a lot iirc but Jones also claims to descend from a line of psychic kings so who knows

There's photos of them all hanging out multiple times, so that part is true at least.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

If you are feeling super-extra charitable, you could argue that they are providing the service of faster shipping time for aliExpress goods in exchange for absorbing the risk associated with maintaining inventory.

The only reason this works at all is because a lot of people aren't even aware that nothing is stopping them from just hitting aliExpress themselves, because I simply refuse to believe that people are actually willing to pay a 300% markup to get tchotchkes a week faster.

Aramis fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Oct 17, 2023

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
There are legitimate dropshippers who sell things you can only get through dealer channels, often technical things.

But that's not this is

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

Honestly I always thought aliexpress was a scam site too. Apparently it’s legit?

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
aliexpress sells cheap chinese knock offs it might be good or it might burn your house down...

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

no thanks I would like to limit my unstoppable infernos to just my electric car

Charles Ford
Nov 27, 2004

The Earth is a farm. We are someone else’s Ford Focus.

VegasGoat posted:

Honestly I always thought aliexpress was a scam site too. Apparently it’s legit?

Just check out the aliexpress thread, people post about what they've bought and how awful it or not it is all the time.

Really the site itself isn't a scam and it's fairly clear if something is bad or not based on the listing. Even if they have fake photos (which is often easy to spot) they don't take down reviews with photos complaining about fake it is, so you can often see exactly what people got.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

I've gotten scammed far less on Aliexpress than I have on Ebay if that means anything. Aliexpress is a site full of weirdness and jank but it has some interesting sellers selling interesting things sometimes.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
Same with Temu and the other ali-likes

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Aliexpress is a great place to get knock off lego sets

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

What im getting is that aliexpress is the item gambling mechanic from Diablo 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Hihohe posted:

What im getting is that aliexpress is the item gambling mechanic from Diablo 2

But with more delay because you can order something and it may take a week or it may take three months to show up