Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

Groda posted:

Just upgraded to a dynamo-powered 100 lux light on my winter bike, and it's like taking your own street light with you.

I use a laser pointer for maximum lumen projection per square inch, and I shine it into opposing traffic's eyes to make sure they have seen me. This way I achieve maximum safety. Remember thread, brighter is better!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you

Entropist posted:

I use a laser pointer for maximum lumen projection per square inch, and I shine it into opposing traffic's eyes to make sure they have seen me. This way I achieve maximum safety. Remember thread, brighter is better!

I mean if drivers and the media want to keep blaming cyclist for "not being visible enough" every time they murder or injure us why not?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Groda posted:

One of the nice things about these 90 ° handlebars is you can have a poncho that goes up over the bars.

I got a bike specific rain poncho off Aliexpress (not sure if it’s a ripoff of something else) that has enough drape to cover my hands on the bars and more importantly, locks into place with a bit of headwind. The other innovation is that the hood has a transparent bill such that it keeps the rain off your glasses but still gives you some forward vision if you have your head down against the rain. I bought it and didn’t try it for a year but thought it was a revelation when I finally gave it a go.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Fellow winter commuters, what do you wear for pants and boots in cold and snowy conditions? Last year I was running with stretch jeans and long underwear with wool socks, but all the jeans were falling apart at the end of our very long winter last year and I'd like to get a pair of purpose-made winter cycling boots before the snow hits this year. Are there any brands to seek or avoid? Is 45north still one of the better options?

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

Fellow winter commuters, what do you wear for pants and boots in cold and snowy conditions? Last year I was running with stretch jeans and long underwear with wool socks, but all the jeans were falling apart at the end of our very long winter last year and I'd like to get a pair of purpose-made winter cycling boots before the snow hits this year. Are there any brands to seek or avoid? Is 45north still one of the better options?

Strongly suggest you be specific about what winter means for you. The right answer varies so hugely depending on say, PNW winter, Midwest Winter, Northeast Winter.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

bicievino posted:

Strongly suggest you be specific about what winter means for you. The right answer varies so hugely depending on say, PNW winter, Midwest Winter, Northeast Winter.

Great plains winter. Deep snow, wind, and cold averaging in the teens to twenties F, sometimes dipping to negative twenties or thirties for a week here or there. I wear a ski coat and ski helmet, but ski pants are too bulky around the chainrings.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

I just use lined hiking boots. Switching to composite pedals is a pretty popular move too. For pants I use some lined shell pants over my outdoors/softshell pants I wear year round because no one makes a comfy pair of pants Incan bike in for more than a couple winters.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I've been very happy with my 45Nrth Wolvhammer boots. They're too warm for me if it's above freezing, and even then I use a thin sock. I imagine if you used a heavier sock they'd be good for most of the range you're potentially encountering. The Wolfgar seems like overkill short of extreme wilderness fatbiking. My personal experience is that 45Nrth runs a bit small, so if you're between sizes I'd recommend to go up.

For pants, I found some Pearl Izumi mtb pants that have a full wind blocking fabric, and they're great. I'll wear some bibs for the chamois, and then the pants over top and it's quite warm. Basically no wind is getting through at all. I'm not entirely sure what they are as they're several years old now, but the Summit Amfib Lite look the closest.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name
You just gotta accept you're going to destroy a pair or two of pants every winter, sorry. I use work pants because they're pretty thick and I can layer under comfortably.

E: this is Eastern Canada so cold and snowy but not, like, Prairies deadly

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
I'm curious if you could wear waterproof pants with a thin layer underneath and cinch them up tight to block out air. My winters are nowhere near that, but getting an airproof bubble around your legs sounds like a good way to go given the extreme temps.

I was just talking to a guy who does these extreme adventure and orientation things and they were discussing the different way heat transfers and this would be kind of how emergency blankets work and why birds puff up their feathers around them in the winter

Edit: looks like that's what people are posting about ^^^

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

I use noname brand softshell ski pants. Inexpensive, stretchy, moderately insulated and completely windproof. Good off the bike too, though you look like a dork. Only down into the 40's in the early mornings here, but I've got two pairs of these for winter.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09CTDM2R4

When in doubt, blocking wind is the best first thing to do, the rest of the layers follow from there.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
I appreciate the advice. Honestly warmth has been doable in a number of ways for me but durability has been tough. I can get a way with a lot if I rubber band the drive side cuff to stay out of the chainring, but I was hoping that cycling specific pants existed that got around that bit.

45 north boots are appealing enough and I'll have a chance in a few weeks to try some on, but boa only closures doesn't really appeal to me, having read about lots of failures after getting iced up or snapping in the cold.

I might be better off with regular cold weather clothes, but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask about options.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Mauser posted:

I'm curious if you could wear waterproof pants with a thin layer underneath and cinch them up tight to block out air. My winters are nowhere near that, but getting an airproof bubble around your legs sounds like a good way to go given the extreme temps.
Winters where I live are pretty wet and even when it's below freezing theres enough road salt that I ride in rain pants most days unless it gets really cold or occasionally dries out, when I go for a slightly more comfy windbreaker shell that I think was originally intended for cross country skiing. Just layers beneath the outer shell according to temps. Long bibs, long Johns, sweat pants, any combo of those. It's not like you get an inflated bubble for warmth or anything but stopping the wind from blowing away the warm air trapped in the inner layers is key.

Unless the asphalt is dry I like to ride in rubber boots. I just ordered a pair lined with fluff so I hopefully can get by with less sock layers when it's slushy, will have to see how that works out. When its really cold I have a pair of knockoff Sorel-like snow boots but they kind of suck, not even that warm really.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

SimonSays posted:

You just gotta accept you're going to destroy a pair or two of pants every winter, sorry. I use work pants because they're pretty thick and I can layer under comfortably.

E: this is Eastern Canada so cold and snowy but not, like, Prairies deadly
This is just no true IME. My lined overpants have been going for 10+ doing 15km a day for school and work commutes. My outdoor pants have been going for 3 with very little signs of wear. Once you embrace the fact that you’re going to look outdoorsy it’s very possible to find durable clothes.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
You all have a vastly different winter climate to me, but how far are you riding for your commute in winter? And what temperatures are you riding in?

None of you have ever considered thermal bib tights?

If you’re changing clothes at the other end, that’d be my choice for a ride of > 5 miles each way I think.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

wooger posted:

You all have a vastly different winter climate to me, but how far are you riding for your commute in winter? And what temperatures are you riding in?
Coldest I’ve ever ridden was -28C but usually it’s more like -10/-15C in the thick of winter. Coldest I’ve ever felt was only -20C or so but in a horrible storm.
I do about 15-20km a day depending on where I have meetings for work and whether I’m grabbing groceries or doing errands.
I ride my cargo ebike 90% of the time.

wooger posted:

None of you have ever considered thermal bib tights?
They’re great for winter MTB rides IME

raggedphoto posted:

I mean if drivers and the media want to keep blaming cyclist for "not being visible enough" every time they murder or injure us why not?
A tacticool flashlight with instant strobe is really fun with oblivious drivers.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Oct 14, 2023

Anachronist
Feb 13, 2009

I use some fleece lined soft shell bike pants from Amazon, I think cycling4u branded. They work great for Denver’s climate, some days down to single digits F, some snow. I usually put them on over my regular pants but sometimes change. They have lasted me a few years of ~2 day/week commuting. Maybe starting to look thrashed but certainly not falling apart.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

evil_bunnY posted:

I'm not a super fan of the B&M super complex beams (had an IXON IQ Premium for a while, they're too distracting to me) but a good 5,4w light is really great. I have a big fuckoff lupine on the cargo bike and love it.
If you have an e-bike I can't recommend a 45kph STVZO light enough. They feel light lighthouses compared to most bike lights.
You talking about all the rectangles?

The 100 lux model in question is their new IQ-X, and it has a much flatter beam pattern, without the geometric shapes.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Groda posted:

The 100 lux model in question is their new IQ-X, and it has a much flatter beam pattern, without the geometric shapes.
I was, and that’s nice that they’re better now.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Yeah I've never had to deal with real cold.
My winter commute is 12mi each way, 0-5C, and wet dang near every day. The wet and cold sucks - been doing this my whole life and still haven't worked out a consistent way to deal with it.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

bicievino posted:

My winter commute is 12mi each way, 0-5C, and wet dang near every day. The wet and cold sucks - been doing this my whole life and still haven't worked out a consistent way to deal with it.

My company now has a drying cabinet next to the bike room, like a big fridge with trouser hangar type shelves, a timer and temperature dials. That takes care of wet clothes.

Other than getting wet it’s not so bad, I shower at work too in winter so it’s just about keeping on top of laundry & having multiples of everything.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I need advice for how to commute in the rain. Is there a way to do it without having to completely change clothes when I get to work?

When it's not raining, usually I just change into a clean shirt and reapply deodorant when I arrive. For rain, I bought some waterproof pants to go over my jeans, only riding in them is so hot that I'm totally soaked in sweat by the time I get to work, so it doesn't actually prevent me from having sodden clothes.

I got some other pants to ride in, to just ride in the wet, get soaked, and change shirt and pants when I get there, only it's kind of annoying to have to take the extra time to change pants as well.

Is there any way around this? Are there waterproof pants that can go over clothes that aren't also really hot to ride in? Or should I just suck it up and accept that I'm going to have to change pants when I get to work?

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I live in a very rainy place and bike commute year round. I also have no showers at work.

This is a top 3 reason I commute by ebike 99% of the time.

It's pretty much impossible to stay dry doing aerobic things in the rain as you've discovered, so changing clothes on arrival is the only real way to handle it.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Agree with that.
Anything waterproof enough to keep you dry enough that you won't get wet from rain, will make you sweat enough to need to change regardless if you're working even a tiny bit.

Can you hobo shower at work?

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
Compromise: keep a pair of jeans and shoes (and a warm jacket in winter) at work. Then just carry a towel + underwear and a shirt to change into each day.

Did a 7 mile commute year round in London with this method, never had an office shower option.

Winter clothing was bib tights, with a light shell over the top, long sleeve jersey with a vented gore-tex pro shell, plus a wool base layer on really cold days.

Summer: mtb shorts and jersey.

sweat poteto fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Oct 15, 2023

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Righto. I guess I'll just put up with changing at work, then.

I might still buy some nicer pants to ride in. The ones I've got aren't great.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Hyperlynx posted:

I need advice for how to commute in the rain. Is there a way to do it without having to completely change clothes when I get to work?

When it's not raining, usually I just change into a clean shirt and reapply deodorant when I arrive. For rain, I bought some waterproof pants to go over my jeans, only riding in them is so hot that I'm totally soaked in sweat by the time I get to work, so it doesn't actually prevent me from having sodden clothes.

I got some other pants to ride in, to just ride in the wet, get soaked, and change shirt and pants when I get there, only it's kind of annoying to have to take the extra time to change pants as well.

Is there any way around this? Are there waterproof pants that can go over clothes that aren't also really hot to ride in? Or should I just suck it up and accept that I'm going to have to change pants when I get to work?

Depends on the climate, if it’s cold and wet and your route isn’t too taxing you can get away with a cycling rain cloak, that covers your whole body including your legs, with straps to stay in place round your thighs. Ride slower if at all possible.

Also, in light rain, there are various commuter stretch jeans / slacks with a water repellant coating that’ll get you through just fine.

If it’s wet but not cold, I’d just change every time. I cycle in Lycra clothes when the weather is bad, just because they’ll dry fast and they’re comfy regardless, and because I have showers and drying space at work.

Just checking, you have full coverage fenders / mudguards right? That’s essential for commuting imo.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

bicievino posted:

Moisture and within 10C of freezing is the loving worst. I’d much rather ride in -15C than +5C

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

wooger posted:

Just checking, you have full coverage fenders / mudguards right? That’s essential for commuting imo.
I don't. I think I'll probably get some though.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

evil_bunnY posted:

Moisture and within 10C of freezing is the loving worst. I’d much rather ride in -15C than +5C

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Hyperlynx posted:

I don't. I think I'll probably get some though.

Specifically for trouser & shoe wetness, it’s massive. But even more so for keeping crap off your drivetrain.

100% for general pleasantness. Though small country roads in the UK that aren’t gritted make it an easy decision to not ride at all (at least outside of very specific well known routes) when it’s below freezing. Fine to commute most of the time, but no pleasure rides when there might be black ice.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
Speaking of winter:

I bought an old steel Bianci Brava for commuting a month ago. It's working great for now, but a bit concerned about how the skinny road bike tyres are going to fare once it starts getting slick and icy (Denver). My current commute is about 20 minutes of mostly bike lane, if that helps.

Is it worth it to buy some winter tires (and if so, any recs for a 700C x 23?). I used to have Gatorskins on my last bike, which I loved for the puncture resistance, but from memory they had pretty ordinary grip.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
For cold commutes, I love my piggies.
Rock Bros on Amazon have several types and weights. Drop it flat bar styled.
Keeping my hands warm is very important. I'm in Denver, so usually I'm using light weight overs from bike Iowa. They're only one layer of water/wind proof material. So you change up gloves to adjust for weather. But $85 vs RB at $20.

Anachronist
Feb 13, 2009

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Speaking of winter:

I bought an old steel Bianci Brava for commuting a month ago. It's working great for now, but a bit concerned about how the skinny road bike tyres are going to fare once it starts getting slick and icy (Denver). My current commute is about 20 minutes of mostly bike lane, if that helps.

Is it worth it to buy some winter tires (and if so, any recs for a 700C x 23?). I used to have Gatorskins on my last bike, which I loved for the puncture resistance, but from memory they had pretty ordinary grip.

Gatorskins grip is trash in the wet in my opinion. I have some Schwalbe marathon winters (with carbide studs) in 700x35ish which are overkill for 95% of days in Denver but very nice when it’s icy. I doubt they come in 700x23 though. If I was trying to commute on 23s I guess I’d go for Panaracer Paselas or something and plan on not riding when it’s icy.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

deong posted:

For cold commutes, I love my piggies.
Rock Bros on Amazon have several types and weights. Drop it flat bar styled.
Keeping my hands warm is very important. I'm in Denver, so usually I'm using light weight overs from bike Iowa. They're only one layer of water/wind proof material. So you change up gloves to adjust for weather. But $85 vs RB at $20.

Nice! I had something similar on my motorbike, they worked great. I do have a pair of USB-powered heated gloves I was planning to use for winter commuting here.

Anachronist posted:

Gatorskins grip is trash in the wet in my opinion. I have some Schwalbe marathon winters (with carbide studs) in 700x35ish which are overkill for 95% of days in Denver but very nice when it’s icy. I doubt they come in 700x23 though. If I was trying to commute on 23s I guess I’d go for Panaracer Paselas or something and plan on not riding when it’s icy.

Yeah, I remember them being pretty hairy whenever it rained. I may pick up a pair for next summer though.

I do see those come in 700x30, would those be likely to rub? I've never really changed up the sizing of my tyres significantly on a bike before, so it's all new to me :negative:

Trying not to spend unneccessary money, but maybe this is an n+1 situation... gonna ask in the general bike thread as it's not commuting specific!

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

It's unlikely you'll be able to squeeze more than 700x25mm tires in there. Maybe 28mm?
The only way to know for sure is: measure the narrowest points on the frame, or trial and error.
If you have a set of mm hex tools, that can be a good way to check clearances in small increments when you can't get a pair of calipers in due to clearance.

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you
Nothing like new chain and tune up day, smooth and quiet!

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

raggedphoto posted:

Nothing like new chain and tune up day, smooth and quiet!

I beg to differ.

A belt drive is like that :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you
:argh: I chatted with some mechanics about switching to a belt drive for my HSD since it already has the frame for it and they were like yeah... no.