Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECscKICzsJ0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

A.o.D. posted:

It has led to some delightful Khemri TV memes, however.

the saga of Nahoul the Bee has occupied an unreasonable amount of my brain space for decades

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

A.o.D. posted:

https://twitter.com/MikeBeauvais/status/1215073526736195585

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Lemniscate Blue posted:

It's not very applicable to this particular video but please be aware that MEMRI has a history of being very biased in their translation decisions to the point of being deliberately misleading at times: https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/middle-east-media-research-institute-memri/

I thought they were just the meme guys!

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Biden has talked Israel into reducing the number of crimes against humanity they're committing this week.

quote:

Israeli officials say the Biden administration pressed the Israeli government in the last 48 hours to resume the water supply, especially to the southern part of the Gaza Strip

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

A.o.D. posted:

Wtf does Settra have to do with this

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

This poo poo is so gross. At least the US is doing something. Sadly I think it's going to be far, far too little.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Everything:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbDcRo2An1I

dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

Lemniscate Blue posted:

It's not very applicable to this particular video but please be aware that MEMRI has a history of being very biased in their translation decisions to the point of being deliberately misleading at times: https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/middle-east-media-research-institute-memri/

Well, poo poo :(

Thanks for the heads up

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

The World Health Organization posted:

Evacuation orders by Israel to hospitals in northern Gaza are a death sentence for the sick and injured

As the
@UN
's agency responsible for public health, the World Health Organization (WHO) strongly condemns Israel's repeated orders for the evacuation of 22 hospitals treating more than 2000 inpatients in northern Gaza. The forced evacuation of patients and health workers will further worsen the current humanitarian and public health catastrophe.

The lives of many critically ill and fragile patients hang in the balance: those in intensive care or who rely on life support; patients undergoing hemodialysis; newborns in incubators; women with complications of pregnancy, and others all face imminent deterioration of their condition or death if they are forced to move and are cut off from life-saving medical attention while being evacuated.

Health facilities in northern Gaza continue to receive an influx of injured patients and are struggling to operate beyond maximum capacity. Some patients are being treated in corridors and outdoors in surrounding streets due to a lack of hospital beds.

Forcing more than 2000 patients to relocate to southern Gaza, where health facilities are already running at maximum capacity and unable to absorb a dramatic rise in the number patients, could be tantamount to a death sentence.

Hospital directors and health workers are now facing an agonizing choice: abandon critically ill patients amid a bombing campaign, put their own lives at risk while remaining on site to treat patients, or endanger their patients’ lives while attempting to transport them to facilities that have no capacity to receive them.

Overwhelmingly, caregivers have chosen to stay behind and honor their oaths as health professionals to “do no harm,” rather than risk moving their critically ill patients during evacuations. Health workers should never have to make such impossible choices.

Additionally, tens of thousands of displaced people in northern Gaza are seeking refuge in open spaces in or around hospitals, treating them as havens from violence as well as to protect the facilities from potential attacks. Their lives, too, are at risk when health facilities are bombed.

There are verified reports of deaths of health care workers and destruction of health facilities, which denies civilians the basic human right of life-saving health care and is prohibited under International Humanitarian Law.

WHO calls for Israel to immediately reverse evacuation orders to hospitals in northern Gaza, and calls for the protection of health facilities, health workers, patients, and civilians.

WHO also reiterates its calls for the immediate and safe delivery of medical supplies, fuel, clean water, food, and other humanitarian aid into Gaza through the Rafah crossing, where life-saving assistance, including WHO health supplies that arrived earlier today, is currently awaiting entry.

https://x.com/WHO/status/1713277138437038573?s=20

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
So about Bibi getting the boot...

quote:

Draft emergency regulations from Israel's Communications Minister would "allow him to direct police to arrest civilians, remove them from their homes, or seize their property if he believes they have spread information that could harm national morale or served as the basis for enemy propaganda."
https://bsky.app/profile/sarahemclaugh.bsky.social/post/3kbuqgqzd7n2j

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Pretend I'm mad max and I'm pointing and saying "That's a police state."

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Anyone who think there's a chance of him leaving is kidding themselves

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Tiny Timbs posted:

Well....leaving voluntarily. Involuntarily? Could happen.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43wKgnOBEtY

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Tiny Timbs posted:

Seriously, a major corruption case that wrapped up multiple of his subordinates didn't take him down, and he's openly hardened his position.

A.o.D. posted:

Pretend I'm mad max and I'm pointing and saying "That's a police state."

Pretty much. Democracy in middle east, my rear end.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

bird food bathtub posted:

Well....leaving voluntarily. Involuntarily? Could happen.

maybe, if some even further right hardliners get annoyed that he won't open the canned sunshine

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Was there something more than the corruption suits? I'm out of the loop on his (mostly wrapped-up?) legal problems / financial crimes.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Hard to find a good quality version but I saw a map on the news I thought was very succinct

Don't Ask
Nov 28, 2002

Reports of a hospital in Gaza being hit, with possibly hundreds killed. Numbers are very preliminary since it just happened, and I wouldn't trust any numbers released by hamas anyway.

Hamas is blaming it on IDF bombs, while IDF is investigating and possibly attributing it to a misfiring hamas rocket.
I have personally witnessed a fair number of misfires landing in Gaza (and some even somehow going the wrong way), and in a supposed video of the moment of impact a rocket motor is clearly heard, and another video shows a clear failed launch. This also happened during one of the heavy barrages today.

If it was an intentional bombing then honestly I don't see any decent response other than to immediately declare a ceasefire, allow aid to enter and launch a public inquiry into what the gently caress. I know that we're pretty lovely, but I really hope that we're not that far gone.

Don't Ask fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Oct 17, 2023

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I think Occam's razor says it was absolutely the Israelis given they are bombing the entire city, have a decades long history of targeting medical personnel, and are also now being reported to have hit a UN school (which are designated shelters).

Edit: Second hand information but apparently the IDF are simultaneously saying it was a Hamas rocket and also the IDF were targeting secret tunnels under the hospital.

Meanwhile, people have been sheltering in hospital grounds and carparks because they thought they were less likely to be hit. So gently caress knows what the actual death toll from this is.

https://twitter.com/WarMonitors/status/1714337776873640216 You only see the explosion at night from a distance. But still, content warning. I don't think Hamas' rockets tend to have that much power in them.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Oct 17, 2023

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

NYT reporting it now, at least 500 dead. Israel saying only they are "looking into it.":

quote:

At least 500 people were killed by an explosion at a hospital in Gaza City on Tuesday that Palestinian authorities said was caused by an Israeli airstrike.

The Palestinian Health Ministry said the number of casualties was expected to rise. Many civilians were sheltering at Al Ahli Arab Hospital, better known as Al-Ma’amadani, before it was hit. Israel said it was investigating the report.

The deadly explosion at the hospital came as President Biden was preparing for a visit to Israel on Wednesday as conditions in besieged Gaza grew ever more desperate.

If even the centrist mushbrain media is running it sure sounds like they flattened a hospital full of people. I'm sure Biden will wag his finger disapprovingly in private when he gets there.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

quote:

The Israel Defense Forces said in a statement that hospitals were not Israeli military targets. “The I.D.F. is investigating the source of the explosion and, like always, is prioritizing accuracy and reliability,” the Israeli military said in a statement. “We urge everyone to proceed with caution.

Honestly have no idea what that means.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
It means nothing. They say the same sort of thing when they shoot journalists dead.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

500 :(

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

It means nothing. They say the same sort of thing when they shoot journalists dead.

I just mean if they were gonna deny it or blame Hamas they'd just do that. "Uhhhh uhhhh... let me call you back later" sure sounds like someone who hosed up big time without a plan.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
When I put two things on the scale, one of them being "Launch whoopsiedoodle bullseye's a hospital accidentally" and the other being "Israel is doing some war crimin' right after they said they'd do some war crimin' " the scales kinda lean in favor of "Oh right, bombing civilian infrastructure to cause unnecessary suffering and death, that thing Israel has already done before in the past."

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
^^^ same as below. They've done war criming but if we don't have information yet then we don't. This has global coverage, I'm sure information will flow quickly.

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

I think Occam's razor says it was absolutely the Israelis given they are bombing the entire city, have a decades long history of targeting medical personnel, and are also now being reported to have hit a UN school (which are designated shelters).

This is a bad start. Let there be some actual information before we assume we know.

I think there's an absolute possibility of (fill in the blanks when we have an answer instead of an aneurysm).

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Oct 17, 2023

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Israeli embassy in Jordan apparently besieged by hundreds of protestors trying to breach the grounds.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

notwithoutmyanus posted:

This is a bad start. Let there be some actual information before we assume we know.

Well the video of the bombing takes place in a blacked out city at night and seems to be orders of magnitude more powerful than the usual Hamas ordnance, and the video doing the rounds to support the IDF story of it being a misfire shows lit up buildings and has been dated to two years ago. So no, on the balance of probabilities I'm pretty comfortable assuming this was an Israeli strike unless some pretty loving compelling evidence turns up beyond the IDF's usual "a naughty dog did it".

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Historically, if IDF has admitted the hospital was targeted, but then says, "we don't know why it blew up", they are admitting it was them.

It won't matter- America shelled a known and marked hospital for over a half hour in AFG with no real repercussions. I doubt America, Jr will face anything.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

The first reports I saw said that the hospital courtyard was hit, where I guess a large number of people had been sheltering (probably because hospitals aren't supposed to be bombed). The hospital was mostly not running because everyone able inside the hospital went outside to help the huge number of injured. Haven't seen yet that the hospital itself was destroyed.

Incidents like this will only get more common, even if Israel (and Hamas) are genuinely carefull. There's hundreds of thousands of people seeking shelter wherever they can as countless homes are destroyed. They'll congregate wherever they can find shelter, water, medical care etc. A bomb, even if we charitably believe it was accidentally dropped, will do enormous damage to crowds like this. Crowds which become more common the more infrastructure is destroyed.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Protests in Ramallah, West Bank against Abbas. I don't even think Abbas is in the country; he met Blinken in Jordan. I bet he fears being ousted by just such a crowd.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/liveblog_entry/hundreds-protest-in-ramallah-against-pa-president-abbas/

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

quote:

The Israeli military said in a statement on Tuesday night that a misfired Palestinian militant rocket, not an Israeli strike, was responsible for the deadly explosion at the hospital. According to the Israeli military, a rocket barrage from Gaza was in close proximity to the hospital when it was struck. Islamic Jihad, an Islamist group aligned with Hamas in Gaza, was responsible, the Israeli military said.

I would like to see the evidence on this.guys.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

mrmcd posted:

I would like to see the evidence on this.guys.

Source- trust us.

B B
Dec 1, 2005

The Israel Twitter account posted a tweet that originally contained a video of what they claimed showed a rocket misfire within Gaza, but they've since edited the tweet to remove the video:

https://twitter.com/Israel/status/1714371894521057737

I'm not sure how Twitter embeds work, but this post over in D&D still displays the video that Israel claims as their exculpatory evidence:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3754814&pagenumber=397#post535328659

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
This poo poo is nauseating

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Saw a clip of a Palestinian father crying over his dead kid who looked about the same age as mine. Think I'm gonna tap out of unfiltered Twitter for a while. gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

B B posted:

The Israel Twitter account posted a tweet that originally contained a video of what they claimed showed a rocket misfire within Gaza, but they've since edited the tweet to remove the video:

Does Hamas even possess rockets/weapons capable of leveling buildings like a hospital?