Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

guppy posted:

A trend I've noticed in the last couple years is tech vendor spam where they email you from slightly different domains (.com, .io, etc.). I have to assume this is because they're aware that people are blocking them for sending spam. If you already understand that no one wants your emails, why do you think they are going to want to do business with you after you actively evade their attempts to stop hearing from you?

Throw all marketing people into the sea.
Makes me wonder if you can put * into the TLD of an email filter now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Polio Vax Scene posted:

Just got my first instance of a ticket where the entire content of the ticket was AI generated, by the creator's own admission

Ask AI to generate the solution and post it back to them

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

I'm fighting with Git again. We were doing a big rebase of a branch and I messed up merging, again. This time, I also managed to disconnect the project in Eclipse from Git. I also really can't stand the way our SME on Git explains things and it feels like half the needed documentation is missing.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Maigius posted:

I'm fighting with Git again. We were doing a big rebase of a branch and I messed up merging, again. This time, I also managed to disconnect the project in Eclipse from Git. I also really can't stand the way our SME on Git explains things and it feels like half the needed documentation is missing.

One of the neat things about git is that, as long as you have committed your files, or 'git stash'ed them, it's usually pretty hard to irrepairably lose work. (As long as you don't nuke your entire tree and do a fresh clone.)
If you want to ask some goons about it,
the version control thread is a pretty good place.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I'm convinced that git in the software development world is like DNS in the infrastructure world. Many people rely on it and very few actually know how it works.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

nielsm posted:

One of the neat things about git is that, as long as you have committed your files, or 'git stash'ed them, it's usually pretty hard to irrepairably lose work. (As long as you don't nuke your entire tree and do a fresh clone.)
If you want to ask some goons about it,
the version control thread is a pretty good place.

Thanks, I've bookmarked that thread.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Ohshitgit.com is also pretty neat if the thing you need is one of the common gently caress ups they address

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Arquinsiel posted:

Makes me wonder if you can put * into the TLD of an email filter now.

You can in Outlook, and they explicitly suggest it, but also it doesn't work.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Awww :(

Internet Explorer posted:

I'm convinced that git in the software development world is like DNS in the infrastructure world. Many people rely on it and very few actually know how it works.
The XKCD comic appears to still be valid.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

CPColin posted:

I forgot to mention that the person in Payroll who gave me permission was included in the email thread when upper management threw its hissy-fit and didn't reply. Pro strat.

this is the way

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
After spending nearly 6 months working with a European branch of our company, to get my metrology
software translated to their language
verifying that all the lab equipment would output in metric and numbers format

they decided to stick with excel. Seems they would rather manually export all the lab equipment readings and import to excel

joebuddah fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Oct 13, 2023

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Pissing me off: Customers having access to their prod git repositories. Maybe this is me not knowing git. We've got a managed services customer, we host their application, manage the infrastructure and servers, but they can make changes to their application and have ssh access to their dev server. However, they also have prod access to git. We have to push the changes through Jenkins at their request, but they can change whatever files they like. And they apparently are the type of customer that thinks "Oh I'm just updating a couple lines, I don't actually need to test this in dev." So yesterday they had a production outage because the updated configuration file has an extra quotation mark near the beginning. Today I find that one of the maintenance scripts that is managed by git didn't have its most recent updates committed to git and now my entire day is going to be trying to reconstruct that script. I'm really hoping I can find a WIP version on my computer.

As to why it wasn't just put in git initially and deployed through Jenkins from there, prod Jenkins deployments require prod outages and it's a 24hr company. So for stuff that's not prod-impacting we make the changes on the server and then push them up to git. My understanding was the coworker that I was fixing the script for was going to put it in git but maybe I misunderstood because the updated version isn't even in Dev.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
None of what you described is a git problem. It’s vastly better that customers use version control and CI/CD instead of yolo-ing files to your server over SSH.

the problem you describe are emblematic of an utterly broken release process that requires manual kickoffs, and a compute/deployment model that doesn’t allow for zero downtime deployments or feature releases. I’d highly recommend hopping over to the CI/CD thread if you want more info on better ways to do deployments: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3695559&perpage=40&pagenumber=137#pti3

Charity Major’s blog is another great resource: https://charity.wtf/

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

22 Eargesplitten posted:

prod Jenkins deployments require prod outages

sorry what

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

It's not a git problem, it's a "we're giving customers too much access" problem. The way I see it, sure they can get access to dev and the dev git, but we should be the gatekeepers of prod. That build yesterday also didn't include a change/fix that had been made in early August so my only conclusion is that they just updated the file they wanted changed in prod and didn't merge all the dev changes. And unfortunately I have nowhere near the authority required in this company to make any changes. We also provide the customer with their ssh passwords for dev and store them in lastpass. Maybe that's not bad but my kneejerk reaction is "No, no, gently caress no" to that. When I was in helpdesk part of my spiel when I would reset someone's password was "I don't know your password, I don't want to know your password."

The company is actually currently in a battle with a customer who is migrating from on-prem to hosted/managed because the customer is insisting on having prod ssh access and the response is "lolno."

The Fool posted:

sorry what

Maybe it wouldn't for pushing a maintenance script like that, not sure, but our applications are all running off Tomcat servlets and we have to bounce them any time we make a change to a file the servlet uses. I'm not sure what exactly the ansible jobs that the Jenkins job runs are doing, that's a different team and frankly I don't know Ansible very well. This is on-prem software that has been adapted to run managed on the cloud.

Don't get me wrong, I like my job, I'm happier here than I have been anywhere since 2017, but there's still frustrations.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Oct 13, 2023

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

joebuddah posted:

After spending nearly 6 months working with a European branch of our company, to get my metrology
software translated to their language
verifying that all the lab equipment would output in metric and numbers format

they decided to stick with excel. Seems they would rather manually export all the lab equipment readings and import to excel

When I worked at Medtronic we had to take every reading and put it in excel for all our metrology measurements, then import that into Indysoft by copy paste.

Generally not so bad, though we had one item that was actually a set of items that had 3000 measurements and that one sucked

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I have a friend who worked there. He does not speak well of it.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Weedle posted:

it's the time of night where the only people in the office are me answering support calls and our imaging guy bitching on the phone to his wife about how mistreated he is by all of us. the current issue is that he didn't know that we needed blu ray player software on the public computers for people to watch blu ray movies in the blu ray drives we are providing. this would have been obvious immediately if he had ever tested the drives on the image he was building. instead i did that, and said so in a department meeting when the topic came up, so now he's mad that yet again he has been exposed as a fraud and cruelly forced into the office to touch actual hardware

currently i am explaining to this man, who i must reiterate is paid a lot to build and maintain our golden images (:barf:), the difference between windows 10 SAC and LTSC, and why the machines imaged with LTSC can't be upgraded to 22H2 through windows update. i honestly did not expect him to not know this. i'm so naive

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie
I didn't know the difference and took 2 seconds to look it up just now and I am deeply worried that your man might be hiding more stuff you assume he knows but does not. Something a little exciting just to keep you on your toes I guess!

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Reoxygenation posted:

I didn't know the difference and took 2 seconds to look it up just now and I am deeply worried that your man might be hiding more stuff you assume he knows but does not. Something a little exciting just to keep you on your toes I guess!

he just told me he approved the 22h2 feature updates, which ltsc cannot install, on the wsus server. additionally, in the screenshot he sent i can see that they are for the wrong edition

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

Weedle posted:

wsus server

:lol:

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie
Oh he's having a real real one. Incredible

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
Weirdly I have very little patch management experience.

Either I’ve worked in a small shop of maybe 15 snowflake servers (Calvin, Hobbes, Kirk, Spock, sparky, etc) which I patched by hand, or worked with a fleet of hundreds, if not tens of thousands of servers that had a team of fleet management folks.

I used WSUS for about four months once and was able to patch it with that guy’s aftermarket performance scripts before he started charging for it and never had any issues with it.

What’s the story with WSUS that generates all the hate?

I also use a sonicwall NSA4500 in my house. Fight me.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

It was trash when patching was a lot more simple. Patching has gotten more complicated and they abandoned the product sometime in 2009.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
We still use the WSUS complete rebuild I did over five years ago for servers, including policies and release groups. It’s not fancy but honestly simple just works sometimes.

Pretty sure an old version of that cleanup script is still running daily.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Internet Explorer posted:

It was trash when patching was a lot more simple. Patching has gotten more complicated and they abandoned the product sometime in 2009.

We used it heavily in the windows 7 era and the sole issue i remember was abysmal reporting. In our usage it was more reliable than SCCM, which used its engine to look and deploy updates, failing most of the time. The new local patch repository option provided by microsoft is far less reliable in my tests, unsurprisingly.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Agrikk posted:

sonicwall

:gonk:

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005

Hotel Kpro posted:

When I worked at Medtronic we had to take every reading and put it in excel for all our metrology measurements, then import that into Indysoft by copy paste.

Generally not so bad, though we had one item that was actually a set of items that had 3000 measurements and that one sucked

Is there a reason why you couldn't directly port the measurements into Indysoft ?

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

joebuddah posted:

Is there a reason why you couldn't directly port the measurements into Indysoft ?

I think our electronics lab could do that but we weren’t handling electronics, we had micrometers, calipers, pressure gages, force gages, pin gages, thermometers, torque wrenches, moldings, things that you have to enter all your measurements by hand.

At the time we didn’t have any templates set up either, so each time a new work order was created we’d have to enter each test point, the readings, the maximum, minimum, tolerance, and units of measure. Our workaround was excel, so we would set it up for the first year then when the item came back in the next time we could reuse the same spreadsheet and update the data

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

CitizenKain posted:

That's kinda been Cisco's thing for awhile. Its why I don't want to bother with Cisco for a refresh on hardware, they might match the price, but I know they'll get us on licensing later.

Lol my customer is about to buy 300k worth of crypto throughput licenses(3yr term lol) for routers(c8300's) cause they refuse to do ipsec on the firewalls, stating "Cause the firewalls get patched more often for vulnerabilities.". :doit:

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Pissing me off: A European user made a ticket in the middle of the night to the American ticketing system instead of the European one, a colleague of mine fixed the issue first thing in the morning, and then the user left a bad review with them because it took all day for the problem to be fixed.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

good, americans don't deserve rest

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
Docker on Windows. It works. Everything is fine. I am simply a crusty old husk of moron juice who thinks everything is scary and different because it's not on a linux kernel.

It's me. I am pissing me off.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

klosterdev posted:

Pissing me off: A European user made a ticket in the middle of the night to the American ticketing system instead of the European one, a colleague of mine fixed the issue first thing in the morning, and then the user left a bad review with them because it took all day for the problem to be fixed.

Being an entitled gently caress can do one but why are you letting users decide which helpdesk team they route to?

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Can Zendesk ID a user from a sending email address and auto-catigorize which queue to place them in based on what Entra ID group they're in? Right now we just have an American help desk email address and a European help desk email address.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Docker on Windows. It works. Everything is fine. I am simply a crusty old husk of moron juice who thinks everything is scary and different because it's not on a linux kernel.

I'm still amazed that after installing Docker Desktop in Windows, you can actually use it from within Linux through WSL. It's like black magic. 🤯

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

klosterdev posted:

Can Zendesk ID a user from a sending email address and auto-catigorize which queue to place them in based on what Entra ID group they're in? Right now we just have an American help desk email address and a European help desk email address.

If it can't then you could do an Exchange transport rule that redirects the message based on group membership - so everybody emails support@ and the message redirects to eusupport@ or ussupport@. I don't know if there's a special place in hell reserved for doing that though.

Or along the same lines, you could add custom headers and see if Zendesk has the ability to process them - it probably doesn't though.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Oct 20, 2023

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Alright coming back to it the next day, my problem was me and it is now solved.

Basically my compose pushed all the env vars into each container, but none of the user creation within those containers was working. As such some dependencies failed because databases could not login to themselves. Manual pass to add the users where they should be and wow everything works.

So today what's pissing me off is having not properly set things up to automatically create the users like I thought I did. I swear I have no idea how to computer sometimes.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Me over Teams: Hi $user, is there a good time for you for us to address your ticket together?
User: Yes
*crickets*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Honorable mention: "I'm available anytime but x which is currently blocked off"
User: x is great, thanks