Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

CordlessPen posted:

AC: Odyssey: Was there ever a worse leveling mechanic in any game, ever? It has absolutely no upside; all it does is make enemies virtually invincible unless you're within 2-3 levels of theirs and your old weapons/armor useless after a level or 2. It also only works one way because lower-level enemies scale with you. I'd love some rubberbanding normally but enemies are already damage sponges so I really wouldn't mind SOME of them becoming vulnerable to being stabbed in the head at some point. As it is I can barely assassinate anyone in my assassin game.

Tweaking the level scaling option helps a bit. On light it makes older content 4 level behind which is enough to make it easy without being boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

CordlessPen posted:

AC: Odyssey: Was there ever a worse leveling mechanic in any game, ever? It has absolutely no upside; all it does is make enemies virtually invincible unless you're within 2-3 levels of theirs and your old weapons/armor useless after a level or 2. It also only works one way because lower-level enemies scale with you. I'd love some rubberbanding normally but enemies are already damage sponges so I really wouldn't mind SOME of them becoming vulnerable to being stabbed in the head at some point. As it is I can barely assassinate anyone in my assassin game.

There are some skills that help with assassination damage, and eventually armor. The big solution to most AC:O problems is fire and poison.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

If you do most of the sidequests from the first couple zones (the golden ! quests, not the repeatable ones) then you’ll pretty much always be ahead of the leveling curve by the time you reach Athens. From there the game opens up quite a bit and you’ll have your choice of going almost anywhere. Don’t worry about upgrading items too much, just focus on finding a good weapon and replace it every 4/5 levels or pay to upgrade it if you haven’t found anything better in awhile. You can OHK almost anything in the game but you have to specialize into it from the Assassin tree and grab some assassin % affixes on gear. I recommend grabbing the Hunter talent that always lets you start with a bar of adrenaline and then putting everything into CHAIN ASSASSINATE, the most broken skill ever put into a video game.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Lobok posted:

I think Oblivion takes the cake. Enemies scaled to your level but you could level up doing things not directly related to fighting so you could get progressively weaker against enemies.

You also had to minmax leveling or you would miss out on tons of stats

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
CyberPunk 2077

It's a little over 50 years in the future, in a timeline where cyber limb/organ technology is common enough that nobody blinks at people that are literally half robot parts. You can get robot powered gorilla arms that will poison your enemies, while you can use robo-psychic powers to set their brain on literal fire, perform a double jump, and fire a relatively normal rear end gun, that can shoot magical homing bullets. And you do all of that will bullshit eye implants that can, among other things, target and highlight enemies through solid walls.

You have access to that level of technology, but no one in this reality has ever heard of a flashlight?

It's so bizarre, because I'm on my second playthrough, and it's only happened a handful of times where the environment is dark enough that I really need that extra light source, and there's just nothing I can do about it but stumble around in the dark. But, I mean, with all the gizmos and doo-dads that I can attach to my guns, not one of them is a directed beam of light to illuminate my surroundings? No Night Vision implants?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

CzarChasm posted:

CyberPunk 2077

It's a little over 50 years in the future

Oh man this hits me in the same way the 80s isn't 20 years ago hits me :(

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Lobok posted:

I think Oblivion takes the cake. Enemies scaled to your level but you could level up doing things not directly related to fighting so you could get progressively weaker against enemies.

It was worse than that, if you picked your fighting skills as the ones you levelled up with you would end up nerfing yourself. I remember that because mrbibs had to have it explained to him repeatedly in this thread.

Agent355 posted:

You obviously don't actually know the problem in the skill system, let me lay it out for you.

Skills are based on stats, like str/dex/etc. The core stats are extremely important and having low stats but high skills isn't very effective.

You gain stats each level based on how many skills you've raised of that stat. For instance if you raise a strength skill 10 times you will be able to gain 5 str when you next level up, while if you don't raise any strength skills at all you will only gain 1 strength.

This is a huge disparity, it's a 500% difference.

You can raise up to 2 stats per level (str+dex for instance) for a cap of 10 stat points per level and a floor of only 2 stats per level.

You level up in oblivion when you gain 10 levels in your major skills.

Do you see the problem yet?

If you gain 10 levels in illusion magic you level up and get +5 int but since you didn't get any other skills you only get +1 of some other stat. However you're more likely to gain 2 levels of onehanded, 2 levels of light armor, 1 level of sneak, etc. Which often ends with you getting +2/+2 in a couple stats.

However enemies are going to be scaling assuming you got a +6 or +8 stat total, so in order to actually accomplish this THE BEST WAY TO BUILD YOUR CHARACTER IS TO INCLUDE NONE OF YOUR MAIN SKILLS IN YOUR MAJOR SKILLS.

If I want to be a sword and shield guy who literally never does magic. All of my major skills should be magic! That way, after I've gained 10 levels in both strength and dexterity based skills, I can go spam heal on an NPC to gain 10 easy levels of conjuring, level up, and get +5 dex +5 str.

You don't absolutely need to min max like this every single level to stay competitive, however if you don't at least take it into consideration fairly often you can easily out level your stats and ruin your character.

Which means it has nothing to do with 'lul you just picked non-combat stats in a combat game' and is in fact the complete opposit of the bullshit you're spewing.

In conclusion:

Seriously, why even post on a subject if you are so off base of what people are even talking about.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Perestroika posted:

Got one for Baldur's Gate 3: The game is too dang huge. I'm 40 hours in and feel like now would be a good time to finish it up, but I basically only just started on Act 3, which if anything appears to be the biggest and most expansive act in the game. I'm invested enough in the story to want to see its conclusion, but Act 3 has completely deflated the pace of the plot. Even as I'm trying to basically speedrun the main quest the game keeps actively throwing poo poo in my way to do first.

In particular, one of the ways it tries to escalate the stakes is by throwing ever bigger combats at you, which take ages to resolve simply because you have to wait for the game to cycle through a dozen trash enemies.

I think a big part of finishing BG3 in a timely manner is accepting that you're not going to do everything on one playthrough, like just accepting that reality and feeling okay with ignoring a quest if it doesn't feel like something your character would do. My first playthrough took about 120 hours, and I loved every minute of it, but a good 40-50 hours probably could have come off there if I just accepted I'd be doing the rest on subsequent playthroughs.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Deified Data posted:

I think a big part of finishing BG3 in a timely manner is accepting that you're not going to do everything on one playthrough, like just accepting that reality and feeling okay with ignoring a quest if it doesn't feel like something your character would do. My first playthrough took about 120 hours, and I loved every minute of it, but a good 40-50 hours probably could have come off there if I just accepted I'd be doing the rest on subsequent playthroughs.

Yeah, I agree on this, I played a Paladin which was good because it prevents you from trying to waffle on how to approach a situation. I've got the moral code that my halfling Paladin abides by, I will not be exploring the shades of grey/what I can obtain by playing both sides off the same conflict, I'm going to blindly follow my sense of duty and listen to what the little voice in my magic amulet tells me to do when it comes to all this githyanki/mindflayer business.

I still ended up reaching the "Baldur's Gate" statue at the lower city in 150 hours :v:

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Sexy Brutale has you pick up a full deck of cards, and each card is unique, but the in game tracker only shows you x/52. I have three left and I'm more or less going to have to go room by room again, for no good reason

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Nu-Lords of the Fallen: everywhere I go is some sort of shithole. I started out in Ye Olde Shithole, followed by Bridge Shithole, then Cliffside Shithole, on to Swamp Shithole, then Gorge Shithole, then Lower Flaming Shithole, and now I'm at Upper Flaming Shithole. I think I can also get to Frozen Shithole but its got an annoying boss fight outside. Dark Souls has its share of shitholes, but it also has cool places to spice things up. I'm beginning to wonder why I'm trying so hard to save The Kingdom of I Forgot.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Tunicate posted:

It was worse than that, if you picked your fighting skills as the ones you levelled up with you would end up nerfing yourself. I remember that because mrbibs had to have it explained to him repeatedly in this thread.

It's an explanation that makes sense, I get what to do, but my brain tries to fry when I actually think about what that means.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Opopanax posted:

Sexy Brutale has you pick up a full deck of cards, and each card is unique, but the in game tracker only shows you x/52. I have three left and I'm more or less going to have to go room by room again, for no good reason

Dead Island has a collectible that are name tags, each of them have an individual name displayed when you pick them up.

In the collectibles screen they are just X/100.

Can't figure out what they were thinking there. Thankfully you only require a certain amount of them, not all.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Just beat Crash Bandicoot 2 and man, for all the BS the game pulls along the way, especially in boss design, it might have the biggest nothingburger of a final boss I can remember. It sets up this big chase for Neo Cortex with the new jetpack mechanic that just got introduced, it feels like it's gonna be something impressive...and then you just bonk into him three times, it took like 30 seconds on my first try.

I guess this could be a praise given how much time I've spent yelling at the game's design issues when I fail over and over, but this was so underwhelming I can't even feel good about getting through it with no trouble :sigh:

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Lobok posted:

Happened to me where I eventually got stuck in a magic painting with a minotaur or something that I had no chance of killing and killing him was the only way out of Magic Painting Land.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

If only there was a difficulty slider to adjust

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

The Moon Monster posted:

Nu-Lords of the Fallen: everywhere I go is some sort of shithole. I started out in Ye Olde Shithole, followed by Bridge Shithole, then Cliffside Shithole, on to Swamp Shithole, then Gorge Shithole, then Lower Flaming Shithole, and now I'm at Upper Flaming Shithole. I think I can also get to Frozen Shithole but its got an annoying boss fight outside. Dark Souls has its share of shitholes, but it also has cool places to spice things up. I'm beginning to wonder why I'm trying so hard to save The Kingdom of I Forgot.

I keep running into the spooky cloaked woman in the ghost dimension who's always saying like "Sealing the demon supergod is bad actually. We should let him out and burn everything down." Then I start looking around at all the blood-stained corpse swamps and yawning, cavernous tombs and thinking y'know what? The ghost woman is making a lot a sense.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

BiggerBoat posted:

Happened to me where I eventually got stuck in a magic painting with a minotaur or something that I had no chance of killing and killing him was the only way out of Magic Painting Land.

It's a bunch of painted trolls and you're supposed to use turpentine to poison your weapons so they're not borderline invincible.

On the other hand, trolls are obnoxiously tanky anyway so I guess there's a non-zero chance your build couldn't handle trolls even with the paint thinner.

Knowing Oblivion I think there was also a bug that made the turpentine sometimes randomly not work or a script error made their ultra invincibility decide to not shut off. :v:

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 03:54 on Oct 17, 2023

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Lobok posted:

You know it's a bad leveling system when you still remember exactly what you need to do to game it

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Any game where you and your party members scream out the goofy rear end names of your attacks throughout the battle.

On one hand, if you're not paying attention, it adds a lot to a fight, because it sounds like you and your party are screaming and shouting battle stuff, as opposed to just stoically and silently taking their turns smacking the enemy.

However, if you are paying attention, all you hear is MIGHTY OBLIVION OVERPOWER ATTACK!!! and SILENT SCREAMING LIZARD FIRE MIGHT!!!!

I mean it's pretty rad in like Sailor Moon, but just stupid in my dramatic JRPG. I would rather they just scream a Sims-like gibberish.

credburn has a new favorite as of 20:31 on Oct 17, 2023

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

shouting move names is cool as gently caress

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

move names should only get yelled during critical hits

very risky blowjob
Sep 27, 2015

they should shout "gently caress you" and "suck my dick" and stuff, but like, on any action whatsoever, including healing allies

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

it makes them stronger

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

very risky blowjob posted:

they should shout "gently caress you" and "suck my dick" and stuff, but like, on any action whatsoever, including healing allies

It should be like that part from The Wire where Bunk and McNulty just say "gently caress" and "motherfucker" while investigating a crime scene

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Battlefield 3 had a bug where reviving teammates with the defibrillator would make your medic scream gently caress YOU and DIE YOU BASTARD at them

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNvr7JhDTZY

Disclaimer: I think this rules way more than 'properly realistic' completely silent combat like Dark Souls or Last of Us.

RareAcumen has a new favorite as of 21:04 on Oct 17, 2023

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

That’s what playing with Karlach in bg3 is like, yep

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Owl Inspector posted:

Battlefield 3 had a bug where reviving teammates with the defibrillator would make your medic scream gently caress YOU and DIE YOU BASTARD at them

I hope "I'm getting hosed up the rear end over here" was an option

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

same but for all games

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

John Murdoch posted:

It's a bunch of painted trolls and you're supposed to use turpentine to poison your weapons so they're not borderline invincible.

On the other hand, trolls are obnoxiously tanky anyway so I guess there's a non-zero chance your build couldn't handle trolls even with the paint thinner.

Knowing Oblivion I think there was also a bug that made the turpentine sometimes randomly not work or a script error made their ultra invincibility decide to not shut off. :v:

I honestly don't remember. I just knew I'd seen and had enough about 30 or 40 hours in.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Crowetron posted:

shouting move names is cool as gently caress

I thought that the Space Marine game from Warhammer 40k should have had your character shouting stuff about the Emperor and heretics and etc all the time. There should have been a button to shout and it should have been an easy button, like the space bar or something.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

gohuskies posted:

I thought that the Space Marine game from Warhammer 40k should have had your character shouting stuff about the Emperor and heretics and etc all the time. There should have been a button to shout and it should have been an easy button, like the space bar or something.

Boltgun has exactly that.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

There's always Untitled Goose Game

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Psychonauts did a fun thing where one boss would yell out descriptions of the abilities like OVERLY INTRICATE COMBINATION or HARD TO AVOID AREA ATTACK.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
I'm getting flashbacks to Deadpool yelling something like "ANIME POWER-UP poo poo!" when you used his ult in MvC3. :allears:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I'm pretty sure I tripped four out of six companion romance dialogs in a single camping trip in Baldur's Gate 3. One of them is yet another bug that just makes me angrier at this game, because the game seems pretty sure I've already hosed a druid, despite also knowing I spent that night with a different character (who I also didn't really want to have a romantic scene with but it was deceptively pitched).

Given I like none of these characters all that much, I consider this pretty poo poo. This game thinks I'm far hornier for their characters than they've even remotely earned.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I still can't help but see all these romance scenes like Saints Row IV's casual gratuitous sex scenes.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Cleretic posted:

I'm pretty sure I tripped four out of six companion romance dialogs in a single camping trip in Baldur's Gate 3. One of them is yet another bug that just makes me angrier at this game, because the game seems pretty sure I've already hosed a druid, despite also knowing I spent that night with a different character (who I also didn't really want to have a romantic scene with but it was deceptively pitched).

Given I like none of these characters all that much, I consider this pretty poo poo. This game thinks I'm far hornier for their characters than they've even remotely earned.

Yeah that's pretty much all bugged out, I didn't romance anybody during my first playthrough but both Gale and Halsin thought we spent the night together romantically. For Gale, I got the stars/night sky cutscene where he's grappling with his mortality, but without actual romance, and next day in a separate conversation he talked to me like we hosed. Halsin did the same thing but it was maybe the second conversation I had with him that didn't involve Thaniel, so I never even got the prompt to try and gently caress him.

And then there's Wyll's version of flirting, where he came on very strong for a guy I talked to three times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

My Lovely Horse posted:

I still can't help but see all these romance scenes like Saints Row IV's casual gratuitous sex scenes.

Lmao what. I never played IV and now I don't want to